• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Twig

Banned
JaseC said:
I've only unlocked 3 potatoes so far. Amnesia's is by far the easiest, but I cheated with Audiosurf (~20 second cut version of that Killing Floor track) and AaAaAA!!! (edited fourth level that sees it filled with potato launchers).

If I don't particularly care for the game itself, I won't put the effort in. :p
Oh wait, I cheated on Audiosurf, too. J:

I AM A HORRIBLEMANS

BY2K

Membero Americo
GabeEpicWin_by_chewymilkybar.gif

Deal with it.

Forkball

Twig said:
Either way, I don't care, since I quit TF2. But I still clicked the link! :D EDIT: Apparently you just have to "play" each of the Potato Pack games.

Give the pin to me then. You know you want to.

Portal doesn't come out for another ten days or so, and they could stretch it out until then and beyond. Everyone should just stop solving the ARG, and then Valve will be frustrated and be forced to reveal what they are hiding. That'll show 'em!

I can't get the Killing Floor potato to work, I earn the money in solo mode and try to purchase the thing. It makes the purchase noise but does not deduct the amount from my total nor bring up the Aperture Log-In screen. Could it be because it's in solo?

Zomba13

Mr_Guillotine said:
I can't get the Killing Floor potato to work, I earn the money in solo mode and try to purchase the thing. It makes the purchase noise but does not deduct the amount from my total nor bring up the Aperture Log-In screen. Could it be because it's in solo?
Need to be online/host a game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Four potatoes down. Currently working my way to Super Meat Boy's fourth chapter/world so I can snag my fifth.

Everything about SMB is sublime. I almost feel guilty I didn't purchase it at full price.

ElNarez

Banned
Mr_Guillotine said:

Yup. No solo, no cheating is required.

Jintor

JaseC said:
Four potatoes down. Currently working my way to Super Meat Boy's fourth chapter/world so I can snag my fifth.

Everything about SMB is sublime. I almost feel guilty I didn't purchase it at full price.

It's so beautiful but it's so fucking painful

Goddamn

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
I'm trying to get my way to the SMB potato and while I like the game, playing it with a keyboard is fucking murder.

Jubbly

Spire said:
I'm trying to get my way to the SMB potato and while I like the game, playing it with a keyboard is fucking murder.

You could cheat. There are some save files around which will unlock the level, and then you just have to stand there to die. It will unlock the achievements of that save file however. Thankfully I'd already played a fair bit of the game so no cheating required, on that challenge.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Jubbly said:
Turn the game to Easy in the options.

Yeah i was about to break my keyboard when trying to do it while watching a youtube video. Then i read the video title that said "normal" in it and thought, "So...there is an easy mode?" Lo and behold i beat it the first try.

FoneBone

I see the hype train is out of control already. Damn, people are (probably) going to be pissed.

(No, I don't know anything more than anyone else, but they're not announcing a new game so close to the release of Portal 2. That makes no sense.)

StuBurns

Banned
FoneBone said:
I see the hype train is out of control already. Damn, people are (probably) going to be pissed.

(No, I don't know anything more than anyone else, but they're not announcing a new game so close to the release of Portal 2. That makes no sense.)
EP3 was already announced years ago, that's what I'm hoping for.

FoneBone

StuBurns said:
Showing anything substantive about Episode 3 after this many years of silence is arguably bigger than a "new" announcement, so........ no.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
StuBurns said:

I'm not really sure what else it could be at this point. This ARG seems way too involved to be anything other than a major announcement. We already know Portal 2 is coming (lol), what other major announcements could there be besides that for a new game or a sequel to headliner game like HL 2? Cross platform play just doesn't seem big enough, imo.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I don't know. Didn't they hire the guy behind Minerva for just these kinds of ARG events? I mean, it better be pretty involved if they have a dude on the payroll just for this.

Trust me, I want this to be impossibly huge too, like Steam-branded Razer hardware, Valve opening up an indie publishing label, Half-Life Episode 3, etc. But it's best to keep your expectations in check and just be happy with what we're experiencing.

morningbus said:
Trust me, I want this to be impossibly huge too, like Steam-branded Razer hardware, Valve opening up an indie publishing label, Half-Life Episode 3, etc. But it's best to keep your expectations in check and just be happy with what we're experiencing.

Steam OS!

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
My loftiest expectation would be the announcement of the Source 2 engine. But Source seems to be doing them just fine for now, and I am really not expecting the next one any time soon.

I don't think expecting a HL related announcement is asking too much. It's been almost 4 years since EP2. I'm hoping for HL3, but if they do end up giving us EP3 this year, I will be extremely satisfied.

MasterShotgun said:
My loftiest expectation would be the announcement of the Source 2 engine. But Source seems to be doing them just fine for now, and I am really not expecting the next one any time soon.

I don't think expecting a HL related announcement is asking too much. It's been almost 4 years since EP2. I'm hoping for HL3, but if they do end up giving us EP3 this year, I will be extremely satisfied.
I can't see Valve releasing Portal 2, Dota2 and Ep3 all in the same year. That's why I'm expecting HL3 in 2012.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
morningbus said:
I don't know. Didn't they hire the guy behind Minerva for just these kinds of ARG events? I mean, it better be pretty involved if they have a dude on the payroll just for this.

I believe he was also going to work on Episode 3.

All of the stuff so far - the Aperture login pages and concept art - has been related to Portal 2. So if it's not to do with that, I don't have a clue what it is for.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
MasterShotgun said:
I thought the whole point of the Source engine was that it was supposedly modular and upgradeable so there wouldn't be a Source 2. They would just keep upgrading parts of Source as time went on.

JaseC said:
I've only unlocked 3 potatoes so far. Amnesia's is by far the easiest, but I cheated with Audiosurf (~20 second cut version of that Killing Floor track) and AaAaAA!!! (edited fourth level that sees it filled with potato launchers).

If I don't particularly care for the game itself, I won't put the effort in. :p
? You can edit levels? I'm an Aaaaa noob so can you please elaborate? :(

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
darkpaladinmfc said:
I can't see Valve releasing Portal 2, Dota2 and Ep3 all in the same year. That's why I'm expecting HL3 in 2012.

I would happy if one (or both
yeah right
) of the following two happen:

1) Episode 3 by the end of 2011
2) HL3 by the end of 2012

They've had plenty of time to develop Episode 3, so it's not inconceivable for them release it this year. But if they decided to go for the full HL3, then I would be fine with waiting for it.

Hell, I'm used to waiting a long time for anticipated titles. It's one of the curses of being a Zelda fan.

Htown said:
I thought the whole point of the Source engine was that it was supposedly modular and upgradeable so there wouldn't be a Source 2. They would just keep upgrading parts of Source as time went on.

I don't know much about the workings of the engine. If that's true, then a completely new engine would be unlikely.

Htown said:

On top of that, a new engine is pretty inside-baseball. Granted that 99% of Portal 2 customers aren't even aware of the ARG's existence, but ARGs are still generally designed to promote something more directly consumer-oriented than a new game engine.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Stallion Free said:
I believe he was also going to work on Episode 3.

He was. Then Valve was all like "lolisode 3" and just put him on ARGs instead.

Honestly, my loftiest, but still somewhat reasonable, wish for this ARG is that they launch a line of Steam-branded Razer controllers, ready for big-picture mode with client-specific buttons like "screenshot" and "community/friend list."

StuBurns

Banned
FoneBone said:
Showing anything substantive about Episode 3 after this many years of silence is arguably bigger than a "new" announcement, so........ no.
Well regardless of the size of the announcement,
we know there is very likely Half-Life 2 cross-over content in Portal 2.
And it's just a matter of time before another HL game is shown.

FoneBone

I suspect that this will lead to an unlock for some extra content in Portal 2. I could maybe see such content acting as a bridge of sorts to Episode 3, but not to an announcement in the immediate (read: pre-E3, at least) future.

StuBurns

Banned
FoneBone said:
I suspect that this will lead to an unlock for some extra content in Portal 2. I could maybe see such content acting as a bridge of sorts to Episode 3, but not to an announcement in the immediate (read: pre-E3, at least) future.
That would be insane to me. This ARG is massively larger than the last one, and the last one was to announce Portal 2 itself, an actual game. A bigger ARG to announce extra content? That'd be really disappointing.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
8 potatoes so far. Just got the Toki Tori one.

Bit Trip Beat is going to be the hardest for me, I think. Even on Easy I find it hard to play once you hit Mega mode as the crazy visual effects screw with my head.

Revolutionary said:
? You can edit levels? I'm an Aaaaa noob so can you please elaborate? :(

Check the ARG Wiki. You can edit all the Dejobaan games for a much easier time accessing the ApSci log-in pages. I think there's a save for 123 Kick It, too.

Edit: Upon closer inspection, there's nothing but a walkthrough for The Wonderful End of the World.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
gibration said:
How do I get a potato on Amnesia?

Create a profile named Casbah. The login page will pop up, and the password is "troubled memories". It's the easiest potato to get. (Funny, considering it took them forever to figure it out.)

Edit: Ninja'd.

Top Bottom