• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Brazil said:
Why are you guys even considering that this isn't a game announcement?

Come on. They'd never do something this big only to let their fans down.

Go grab some potatoes.
Ignore Twig, he's our little special fella. Just smile at him and move on.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Brazil said:
Why are you guys even considering that this isn't a game announcement?

Because majority of this ARG has been directly related to Portal 2, Portal 2's release is just around the corner, and it is far more likely this is hyping up something related to Portal 2 and not a new game?

Or are you another one of those "IT MUST BE HALF LIFE!" people that seems to chime in every time Valve announce they're doing anything?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Okay so

I don't know where the heck to get in on this. I mean, somebody posted a thing about a Defense Grid login at another forum, and I got a thing saying I wasn't eligible but a friend was, but I'm kind of clueless about all these potatoes everybody's talking about and...

Where's the best place to get in on this at this point?

Majukun

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
EatChildren said:
Because majority of this ARG has been directly related to Portal 2, Portal 2's release is just around the corner, and it is far more likely this is hyping up something related to Portal 2 and not a new game?

Or are you another one of those "IT MUST BE HALF LIFE!" people that seems to chime in every time Valve announce they're doing anything?
Nope, I'm not one of those.

And even if it isn't the announcement of a new game, I'm sure it'll be something big. Maybe even huge.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Brazil said:
Nope, I'm not one of those.

And even if it isn't the announcement of a new game, I'm sure it'll be something big. Maybe even huge.

Oh I'm sure it will be huge.

But I seriously doubt it will be a new game. Not right now. It's silly for any developer to announce a new product on the fringe of their next big title.

Besides, Valve's next game is DOTA2 :p.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
EatChildren said:
Oh I'm sure it will be huge.

But I seriously doubt it will be a new game. Not right now. It's silly for any developer to announce a new product on the fringe of their next big title.

Besides, Valve's next game is DOTA2 :p.
Well, they could always tease an E3 announcement in a way that we know it's coming but are not sure what it is and relate it to Portal 2 in a way that we're also excited to play the game to find out more.

beelzebozo said:
what would constitute "huge" under the parameters you guys postulate?
Anything that surprises me in a positive way, to be honest.

Twig

Banned
Stallion Free said:
You are posting on Neogaf, where people don't even play videogames for fun.
Touché.

beelzebozo said:
The world of Dota 2 is actually an alternate reality version of Half-Life 2's universe.

Jenga

Banned
Twig said:
I'm sorry, I do not understand why that is a concern at all. Who's to say everything discovered in this ARG would have been in Portal 2 in the first place?
i don't know play the game and then tell me if all the android shit ain't in the game

EatChildren

beelzebozo said:

Free potatoes with all Portal 2 pre-orders.

Jubbly said:
A real potato signed by a Valve dev, sent to each person who got the thirteen Steam potatoes.

If you open the potato, it contains a USB drive. The contents of the USB drive include a trailer for Half-Life 3.

I figured it out.

This is VALVe's way of announcing that they're finally giving people who pre-ordered Portal 2 the Companion Cube pin in TF2.

BY2K

Membero Americo
TouchMyBox said:
Wait... I missed this? :(

It's not for a pre-order of Portal 2.

You need the 13 games included in the Potato Sack Pack and you need to play each game at least once. Then a "Potato" banner will appear on your Steam page, click on it, open Team Fortress 2 and you will receive both the Potato Hat and the Portal 2 pin.

TheOGB

Banned
Just got the potatoes for RUSH and Toki Tori. Now I still have BIT.TRIP BEAT for the 5th...

Honestly the only other game in the sack I'm interested in is AaAaAA!!!, so I'm totally okay with only having 5.
We'll see if that changes, depending on what we get for having a certain number of potatoes :p

Roody

Neo Member
Well, I have all 13 potatoes on my profile now... guess we'll have to wait until the "3rd phase" to see if they actually mean anything.

L00P

Alright, just what is Valve up to?! This potato stuff is freaking complicated. They got all these indie studios together, but for what reason? Are they just really promoting a game? What are they planning?

This is heavy, bros.

pirata

L00P said:
Alright, just what is Valve up to?! This potato stuff is freaking complicated. They got all these indie studios together, but for what reason? Are they just really promoting a game? What are they planning?

This is heavy, bros.

It also seems to have been planned for at least several months. If you go back to the 2010 holiday sale thread, you'll see that the "potato pack" was rumored to be one of the indie packs to be released during the sale (but the games included were slightly different).

Zomba13

So, seeing Collaboration pop-up a lot with the ARG does anyone think it's not the ARG that is the collaboration, but perhaps this ARG is leading up to an announcement of a new game made by all these devs and Valve? Because having collaboration pop up a lot isn't much of a hint seeing as it's obvious this ARG is a collaboration.

Hylian7

Zomba13 said:
So, seeing Collaboration pop-up a lot with the ARG does anyone think it's not the ARG that is the collaboration, but perhaps this ARG is leading up to an announcement of a new game made by all these devs and Valve? Because having collaboration pop up a lot isn't much of a hint seeing as it's obvious this ARG is a collaboration.
SUPER STEAM BROTHERS!

Seriously though, I think whatever it is could be very interesting if it is a collaborative effort. Maybe it's that each of these devs is contributing a character for DOTA 2 perhaps? Maybe they get their owned themed levels in Portal 2?

BY2K

Membero Americo
Got the BIT. TRIP. BEAT login page. My eyes.

4 to go.

EDIT: The Ball get. 3 to go.

EDIT2: Cogs done! Just 2 more!

Twig

Banned
TouchMyBox said:
I figured it out.

This is VALVe's way of announcing that they're finally giving people who pre-ordered Portal 2 the Companion Cube pin in TF2.
I got one by going to my Community page and clicking the "Claim your Portal 2 TF2 pin!" link underneath the "PO TA T O" Portal 2 image. I'm not sure if that showed up because I got all 13 potatoes or if it was always there.

Either way, I don't care, since I quit TF2. But I still clicked the link! :D EDIT: Apparently you just have to "play" each of the Potato Pack games.

LovingSteam said:
Ignore Twig, he's our little special fella. Just smile at him and move on.
Your obsession with me is kind of creepy. Please stop.

Twig said:
I got one by going to my Community page and clicking the "Claim your Portal 2 TF2 pin!" link underneath the "PO TA T O" Portal 2 image. I'm not sure if that showed up because I got all 13 potatoes or if it was always there.

Either way, I don't care, since I quit TF2. But I still clicked the link! :D EDIT: Apparently you just have to "play" each of the Potato Pack games.

DP

Twig said:

Who says I am not already in your home? You can always just put me on ignore.

Twig

Banned
LovingSteam said:
Who says I am not already in your home? You can always just put me on ignore.
I'm not immature enough to ignore someone just because they're weird. J: I was simply informing you that your obsession is creepy.

Twig

Banned
LovingSteam said:
Obsession eh? Lol.
Hey, man, I don't know! You insult me at every given opportunity. Clearly you've got some kind of issue. Just... keep it to yourself from now on, eh?

And now back to your regularly-scheduled thread.

Twig said:
Hey, man, I don't know! You insult me at every given opportunity. Clearly you've got some kind of issue. Just... keep it to yourself from now on, eh?

And now back to your regularly-scheduled thread.
Quit your crying and move on.

Only 4 potatoes remaining here.

Does anyone have any useful tips for TWEOW? I can't even use my gamepad since the jump button isn't mapped anywhere on it.

What about RUSH? I can't seem to find any meaningful info on the ARG wiki.

Twig

Banned
The Wonderful End of the World is hard, but Kick It was way harder. Just keep running around in circles. That's what I did.

For RUSH you need to unlock the hard levels and then unlock the Key to Success level, or some such. Then you place four tiles down in specific spots. The Wiki has the image.

For RUSH I just found videos on Youtube that had all of the solutions to the puzzles, so I just worked up to unlocking with key level. After that, I just looked at the wiki image (but there's also a video of that too).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I was dead-set on simply half-arsing my efforts to get the potatoes (i.e. exploits, saves, etc.), but I'm actually having a lot of fun with Rush, so I'll unlock the log-in screen as intended.

Twig

Banned
JaseC said:
I was dead-set on simply half-arsing my efforts to get the potatoes (i.e. exploits, saves, etc.), but I'm actually having a lot of fun with Rush, so I'll unlock the log-in screen as intended.
I cheated on The Ball and Killing Floor because I don't want to rush through The Ball, having not played it, and Killing Floor's requirement is a ridiculous grind, as opposed to something fun. J:

Everything else I did pro-style. :3

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Twig said:
I cheated on The Ball and Killing Floor because I don't want to rush through The Ball, having not played it, and Killing Floor's requirement is a ridiculous grind, as opposed to something fun. J:

Everything else I did pro-style. :3

I've only unlocked 3 potatoes so far. Amnesia's is by far the easiest, but I cheated with Audiosurf (~20 second cut version of that Killing Floor track) and AaAaAA!!! (edited fourth level that sees it filled with potato launchers).

If I don't particularly care for the game itself, I won't put the effort in. :p

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Ball and Killing Floor have the most ridiculous conditions of the bunch.

Wonderful End of the World, Defense Grid (Tonylanche) and Toki Tori are hard. The rest is alright.

Top Bottom