• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

epmode

LovingSteam said:
Sooooo yea this DEFINITELY is something BIG. Not April fools related. Not a few daysof early access of Portal 2. Something bigger has to be in store.
I'd like this to be true and all but is it common for these ARGs to end with a legitimate announcement? I figured that it was more about building hype for the related game than anything else.

13 potatoes, BTW!

epmode said:
I'd like this to be true and all but is it common for these ARGs to end with a legitimate announcement? I figured that it was more about building hype for the related game than anything else.
This is only the sceond time Valve has done this. Last time led to Portal 2 being announced.

Jintor

Well we've always known Valve is good at whipping their fans into a raving frenzy. But can they DELIVER?!??!?!?!

Jintor said:
Well we've always known Valve is good at whipping their fans into a raving frenzy. But can they DELIVER?!??!?!?!
Can they deliver? That's a good question. I'd say only if it's EP3 related.

Jintor said:

As amazing as Portal 1 was, I personally only reached frothing levels of hype for Portal 2 after that extensive and intriguing ARG they did for its announcement. Since we're getting to that level (and beyond?) again of ARG awesomeness, I really wonder if they're going to use it for something everyone's already excited for, or if it's for something new.

I mean, Gabe could literally post a picture of his used toilet with a note on the edge of the bowl that said "ep 3 5/11/11" and half the internet would have a seizure.

Still hope it's ep3.

Mikey Jr.

13 potatoes=get Portal 2 on April 15th.

Thats what I think.

I mean, what else could it be so close to release date.

I have an extra copy Of Serious Sam HD 1 that I would like to trade for either
123 Kick It
TWEOTW
or The Ball

If anyone is interested shoot me a PM.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I dunno. When you think of the pinnacle of Valve's achievements, the culmination of their work as a company over the last decade, the ideas and passions that have moved them forward and define their culture and work ethic, it seems pretty obvious what all this hype and anticipation is leading up to;
hats.

Jenga

Banned
Mikey Jr. said:

Thats what I think.

that would piss off everyone who didn't buy the potato pack

with good reason too, spoilers will run rampant fucking everywhere

Jintor

theinfinityissue said:
I mean, Gabe could literally post a picture of his used toilet with a note on the edge of the bowl that said "ep 3 5/11/11" and half the internet would have a seizure.

Jesus, don't give them ideas

Mikey Jr. said:

Thats what I think.

Don't see it happening. I don't see how this can relate to Portal 2. I'd argue that the majority of individuals who are taking part in this ARG or even are following it have already purchased Portal 2 or are going to in the next week. Whats the purpose to do all of this just for a few days of early access? This ARG is even more in depth than the one that led to the Portal 2 announcement. Surely it isn't just for a few days of early access for a particular group of individuals. Doesn't make sense.

derFeef

I really don't hope its going to release early to a small group. I would need to turn off internet for a few days - spoilers spreading and all.

Blizzard

Banned
derFeef said:
I really don't hope its going to release early to a small group. I would need to turn off internet for a few days - spoilers spreading and all.
Absolutely the same, plus I would gripe that I took the chance of preordering this game early since this game (and Valve) is one of the few that I'm actually really looking forward to and expecting to be good. People who had ordered months ahead of time getting spoiled by people who had a bunch of random games (and possibly not even a Portal 2 preorder) doesn't seem like very good fan appreciation.

In reality, it'll probably end with a "wait for E3" note, and at E3 of course they will announce DOTA 2/Left 4 Dead 3/mention in some news conference that "yeah Episode 3 is still in development". WHO KNOWS. =P

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Finally got all 13 potatos. Thank god phase 3 isn't until tomorrow.

I bought the pack before all the ARG stuff started getting really big with no intention of playing but a few of the games. But playing them for the potatoes really has me thinking i'll go back and play some of them later just for fun. The ball, TWEOTW, AAAaaAAaAAAAA, Amnesia i'm all interested in.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Phase 3 isn't tomorrow.

From the Hidden Path forums:
Note: I did not say phase 3 starts tomorrow.
Note 2: The Echo that just was on gamesurge isn't me :p

WOUWo.gif

BY2K said:
Phase 3 isn't tomorrow.

Shitty.

My hope is that this ARG leads up to the release of Portal 2, and then Portal 2 itself is in fact part of the ARG, (like Portal 1 after the transmission update) leading to the announcement of EP3 once the clues within Portal 2 are deciphered. That would be awesome.

Baha

BY2K said:
Phase 3 isn't tomorrow.

From the Hidden Path forums:

WOUWo.gif

On the upside, the chosen 100 from the DG recruitment list will be needed in a day or two. Wonder what they'll need us to do.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Baha said:
On the upside, the chosen 100 from the DG recruitment list will be needed in a day or two. Wonder what they'll need us to do.

Just watch, it's gonna be a new exclusive map for Defense Grid and we'll need to complete it (each of the 100 recruits) and each of us will get an unique clue. We'll need to assemble every clue for another bigger clue. (So excited that I'm one of the recruits!)

CLUES! CLUES EVERYWHERE!

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Big Chief Crazy Cone said:
My hope is that this ARG leads up to the release of Portal 2, and then Portal 2 itself is in fact part of the ARG, (like Portal 1 after the transmission update) leading to the announcement of EP3 once the clues within Portal 2 are deciphered. That would be awesome.

I don't know if I would like that. It would cause people to rush through the game just to find the solutions for ARG puzzles, and they would miss the enjoyment of their first runthrough of Portal 2. Portal 1 being part of the first ARG was okay considering it was after the game had been out for a couple of years.

i wonder if the indie game people are making a lot of dough due to this ARG, can't believe that valve would find a way to promote Portal 2 and every one else's game.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Technosteve said:
i wonder if the indie game people are making a lot of dough due to this ARG, can't believe that valve would find a way to promote Portal 2 and every one else's game.
I'm pretty sure they are.

Technosteve said:

one of my secret hopes about this ARG is that it announces (or at least results in) a strong collaboration between Valve and Frictional.

Twig

Banned
Why do so many people think the ARG has to be leading up to an announcement? Why can't it just... exist to exist? Why can't it just be something fun to do?

Jenga

Banned
Twig said:
Why do so many people think the ARG has to be leading up to an announcement? Why can't it just... exist to exist? Why can't it just be something fun to do?
well if it doesn't actually imply any announcements, in reality we're just spoiling ourselves to certain elements of the game before we play it for no apparent reason

Twig

Banned
Jenga said:
well if it doesn't actually imply any announcements, in reality we're just spoiling ourselves to certain elements of the game before we play it for no apparent reason
I'm sorry, I do not understand why that is a concern at all. Who's to say everything discovered in this ARG would have been in Portal 2 in the first place?

corn_fest

I don't see a lot of ambiguity in "4/19/2011_7AM=4/15/2011_9AM".
I think it's extremely likely that some people in this ARG will get to play Portal early.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The wiki guys really don't have anything to do, right now. They're just editing the Echo phrase over and over.

Twig said:

if you are going to do something this big, it has to be worthwhile. Valve isn't stupid, they know how much the disappointment will hurt the fans. if there wasn't anything worthwhile, they prolly would have said something like "don't expect game announcements" or some shit

Twig said:
I'm sorry, I do not understand why that is a concern at all. Who's to say everything discovered in this ARG would have been in Portal 2 in the first place?
Well every one of the encrypted rar files has given what appears to be concept art and concept boxart so far, sso I suppose in a way that yeah, just playing the ARG is it's own reward. But dammit there needs to be at least SOMETHING at the end of this screwed up rabbit hole of theirs.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The spotlight some of those games have gotten since the ARG begun.

BIT. TRIP. BEAT, the Steam version of Super Meat Boy (I had the 360 version before the ARG), Amnesia, Defense Grid. All of these are games I would have never got if it wasn't from this. And boy do I not regret getting the Potato Sack Pack.

Twig

Banned
From the Dust said:
if you are going to do something this big, it has to be worthwhile.
I guess I'm the only person in the whole goddamn world who likes doing fun things because they're fun.

And if you're not enjoying it... then why bother following/participating?

Majukun

has anyone found who's the guy in the hidden frame in the turret video?
he resembles a younger version of Cave Johnson, the founder of aperture science

aperturep.png

cavejohnson.jpg

that smile and that nose is pretty unique

Zomba13

zombieshavebrains said:
Yeah i don't think they would go to all this trouble just to release some concept art.
Yeah, as awesome as the art is I think if that's all there is would be a big disappointment.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Twig said:
I guess I'm the only person in the whole goddamn world who likes doing fun things because they're fun.

And if you're not enjoying it... then why bother following/participating?

If I spent all these dozens of dollars buying cool games that are fun to play for nothing, I'm going to lose my shit.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Why are you guys even considering that this isn't a game announcement?

Come on. They'd never do something this big only to let their fans down.

Go grab some potatoes.

Top Bottom