• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

gibration

JaseC said:
Create a profile named Casbah. Password is troubled memories.

Seriously, people. Bookmark the Wiki. :p
MasterShotgun said:
Create a profile named Casbah. The login page will pop up, and the password is "troubled memories". It's the easiest potato to get. (Funny, considering it took them forever to figure it out.)

Edit: Ninja'd.
Thanks!

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Someone got an email from the ARG with this:

You have earned a rest. Refresh yourself in the chamber of your choice and contemplate the diverse ramifications of applied information theory. Relax for a few days. Enjoy recess with the rest of the class. Kiss sweet loved ones and inhale sweet air and eat and wear sweet clothing and foods.

There will be a test later.

everything was decoded ahead of time or at least ahead of valve's calculations, they are not ready to announce whatever they are announcing, now to play the waiting game for a few days I guess.

They're risking the little bit of momentum the ARG has by doing this, it's being almost universally ignored except by hardcore fans. Well, then again, I guess most ARG's would be.

At any rate, boo.

TheOGB

Banned
I just really suck at BIT.TRIP BEAT because I've had it on Easy from the start. I can't stay in MEGA mode once I get to the boss. And fuck that boss and the ball's random changes in speed and direction. >:[

Jubbly

TheOGB said:
I just really suck at BIT.TRIP BEAT because I've had it on Easy from the start. I can't stay in MEGA mode once I get to the boss. And fuck that boss and the ball's random changes in speed and direction. >:[

If you hit it square on it goes straight and slow(er). Hitting it with an edge makes it go fast and bounce around like crazy, though it is never random.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
TheOGB said:

Just wait until you play the 3rd stage. I still haven't beaten the boss on Easy. It is way worse than going for the login screen.

BOSS SPOILERS
It's an insanely dickish game of Pong. It's hard enough at first with the ball speeding up every now and then from being hit by the enemy paddle. Then, half way through, the boss gets a second paddle. Yeah. I haven't gotten any farther than that, so I don't know if any other challenge is added. That said, playing Pong for a final boss is awesome.

syoaran

EVIL said:
lol, LOVE GLaDOS!

Loved the comic. Minor spoilers for those that have not read it yet:

Can we put the "Chell is an andriod" theory to rest now? She needs life support, she breathes. I think we can confirm that she is actually human. That, and machines are not stubbon (yet). Hopefully we get to see the rat guy, in some shape or form in Portal 2

syoaran said:
Loved the comic. Minor spoilers for those that have not read it yet:

Can we put the "Chell is an andriod" theory to rest now? She needs life support, she breathes. I think we can confirm that she is actually human. That, and machines are not stubbon (yet). Hopefully we get to see the rat guy, in some shape or form in Portal 2
She was an android for the first game, too many signs of it. We even had this conversation yesterday and people showed new evidence I hadn't remembered. Maybe they decided they didn't want to go that way or they didn't think an android carried enough emotion so they changed it. Wouldn't be the first changes to a main character we've seen recently. I tend to blatantly ignore anything thats in a comic book instead of the property itself anyways.

Hylian7

I posted this theory in the thread about the comic, but I'll post it here too.

Chell's last name being redacted sure was interesting. It must be important since it's not shown. I think it's either Vance or Rattman. Freeman is also a possibility, but not likely. I want to believe it's Vance, but Rattman is probably more likely, maybe she is Doug Rattmann's sister or something.

BY2K

Membero Americo
So the ARG is on hold, huh? Well, I'll be able to sleep then. I stayed up until 2AM this morning to get all the Potatoes.

I'm such a geek...

Tomorrow we should get news about the Defense Grid Recruitment Drive.

EVIL

BobTheFork said:
She was an android for the first game, too many signs of it. We even had this conversation yesterday and people showed new evidence I hadn't remembered. Maybe they decided they didn't want to go that way or they didn't think an android carried enough emotion so they changed it. Wouldn't be the first changes to a main character we've seen recently. I tend to blatantly ignore anything thats in a comic book instead of the property itself anyways.
c'mon, the comic book is written by valve, and it was mend to bridge the story gap between portal 1 and 2. so anything that is noted in there is part of the portal story, so if there are strong hints that she is human then trust me, she is human. I can't believe people would think she is an android.. ahhwel, you will all see soon enough I guess

BIT.TRIP.BEAT killed my eyes, goddamn. Way too much shit going on in the background, and I got screwed up every time the HUD did that "flip". Glad I got that potato, never playing that game again. :mad:

ArtistDude88 said:
BIT.TRIP.BEAT killed my eyes, goddamn. Way too much shit going on in the background, and I got screwed up every time the HUD did that "flip". Glad I got that potato, never playing that game again. :mad:
How does it control on the PC? With the mouse?

SalsaShark said:
Yup, works alright although turning the wiimote was more fun.
Yea. I remember playing it for hours just to get a higher score. Best I ever did was missing 3 beats on the first level.

I would guess you would be able to hook up a wiimote and play with that?

Baha

BobTheFork said:

No she's human. Anybody saying that she doesn't bleed needs to go replay Portal as she very clearly leaves bloodstains if she is shot by turrets. She also can survive long falls thanks to the Advanced Knee Replacement cybernetics.

Chell might be human but I refuse to believe anyone was ever hit by a turret in Portal 1. I've been assuming Portal 2 will be much harder and I hope so.

TheOGB

Banned
ArtistDude88 said:
Lol I had one of those controllers! Just terrible...

I now have a
wired
360 controller, and it's the best I've used on a PC.
Been trying to get one for months. Finally found a place that sold them, but at that point I had already spent my money on Pokemon Black D:

Giantbomb is talking a bit about the ARG on the mondays video. I think Ryan is heading to Seattle to cover it. Or whatever, the ARG is acknowledged around 1:50.

derFeef

theinfinityissue said:
Giantbomb is talking a bit about the ARG on the mondays video. I think Ryan is heading to Seattle to cover it. Or whatever, the ARG is acknowledged around 1:50.
They are at Valve, reviewing the game I guess. Ryan posted a photo.

theinfinityissue said:
Ryan tweeted a photo which showed
Drew in from of a PC monitor with the Portal 2 menu on it. You can find it in the Giant Bomb thread. (I'm on my iPhone so I can't link it easily.) I think they were just joking around in that video.

And that's 13. Done.

Now watch as it yields no reward because the ARG is its own reward. :]

That or (a new Carnival of Stupid chapter):
  • Portal 2 unlocking earlier
  • HL3 this year
  • Portal 1.5 levels for Portal that bridge the games
  • Steambox: an awesome HTPC under every TV
  • Another TF2 hat
  • Portal 2 preloading
  • Portal 2 delayed a year
  • Another seizure inducing Dejobaan game

Salsa

The obvious thing would be for the Potatoes to reward you with hats, in the treasure hunt kinda way.

5 potatoes - one hat
8 potatoes - another, better hat
13 potatoes - best hat

Doubt if they'll eventually go with that though.

classicdms

Neo Member
Hylian7 said:
I posted this theory in the thread about the comic, but I'll post it here too.

Chell's last name being redacted sure was interesting. It must be important since it's not shown. I think it's either Vance or Rattman. Freeman is also a possibility, but not likely. I want to believe it's Vance, but Rattman is probably more likely, maybe she is Doug Rattmann's sister or something.
Chances Chell is Alyx's mom? We don't really know what happened to her, do we?

classicdms

Neo Member

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Alyx's mum looks nothing like Chell, Chell is far too young, she wouldn't be at Aperture Science, and as far as I'm aware she died.

I dont really think Valve titles need to devolve into the crazy levels of Mass Effect fandom where every characters needs to be directly related or linked to another character.

classicdms said:
How crazy would it be to have Alyx lose her pops in EP 2 and find her mom again in HL3/EP 3? I think the emotional impact would be just as big for us as it would be for her because we've played as Chell. Slightly predictable, but I wouldn't mind them doing that in the end.

Doubt it since Chell doesn't wake up for 200 years ish.

Hylian7

Foliorum Viridum said:
Chell being Alyx's mother would suck. Too much of a forced connection, and one that wouldn't make much sense. Valve are better than that.
This led me to that other theory I had:
Chell Rattmann

Top Bottom