• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Phantom Limbs said:
What if this ARG isn't the Pre-Portal 2 thing Valve was talking about. Maybe there is a short, prelude episode being released on friday (4/15/2011)?

The comic is the thing Valve said would tie together the gap years between Portal and Portal 2.

JaseC

syoaran said:
And now we have seen how the game opens, we know this to be true. Early release or bust, its the only solution atm

It was categorically stated when the comic was announced that its purpose is to bridge the gap years. There was no need for second-guessing.

A couple more attempts, and the 2nd Audiosurf potato (Device has been Modified) is mine! I hadn't played Audiosurf enough before to know you could pick up the paint and other power-ups. That really changed my strategy a lot.

I have a bad feeling the number of potatoes you have might equal the quality of a give-away item in TF2 or Portal 2, similar to the Bounty Hat/Treasure Hat/HoUWaR. (In addition to the possible early release of pre-loaded Portal 2 some have mentioned.) I think someone just suggested in this thread a bit ago that the [Classified] name of the Potato hat might be modified depending on how many you get. And as any TF2 player knows, hats are the single-most important thing on the planet, so...

I have to join the Toki Tori group, but there doesn't seem to be an option on the community page, even the in-game link doesn't work. Might be a Steam problem?

I kind of don't care for the fact I have to join a group to get bonus features, anyway.

Edit: Nevermind, it opened up the bonus levels, even though the join didn't work. Not going to complain.

KiKaL

I ended up buying the pack hah, couldn't resist any longer. Going for the potatoes is a blast for the most part. I am glad I ended up buying this pack on impulse. I am enjoying all of these games quite a bit and never would have purchased some of them otherwise. I now site here at work itching to go home to get more potatoes! I hope something happens with them but if not that's okay, finding fun games and having the carrot(potato) on a stick has been fun.

I think today is the day I'm tired of the ARG. I dunno, I have been waking up and checking on the irc/wiki/this thread etc almost first thing every day, but I'm kind of fatigued. I hope it resolves itself in a blaze of glory late tonight/early tomorrow, and is followed by a friday Portal 2 release and some teasers of great things to come. If it just keeps limping on throughout the day and we don't see a release, I'm probably going to tune out.

What a ride, though.

JaseC

GABDEG said:
Finally got that second Audiosurf potato. I was about to go insane.

I gave up on that. Then, I gave up on getting more potatoes altogether.

That bloody Audiosurf potato burned me out on the ARG.

brotkasten said:
I really want this ARG to end. Seriously, it was epic, but it's going too long. Just give me Portal 2!

If it ends with the release of Portal 2 it will be one of the shortest ARGs to date. I Love Bees took four months or so to finish.

We got hints about a possible Portal 2 early release fairly early on in the ARG (Bathysphere puzzle), so it's possible that this will go on until E3 where Episode 3 / HL3 is revealed.

Jubbly

Palette Swap said:
It's labelled <Test>, at the bottom of the title screen.

I know the wiki says the two potatoes are random, but I'm fairly certain the one awarded is dictated by the font on the main menu when you start. If you go between the options and the main menu a few times you'll see the normal bit.trip one change to a standard (Valve?) font.

When we were trying to work out how to get both potatoes I tried playing the level again when it was still set to the original font and had no joy. Played with the alternate font and I got the potato.

oh, to be sure, I'd love it if the ARG continued well past Portal 2's release and started revealing something else, like a new Valve IP or that silly quarter life episode 2.9 or whatever it's called. And with the amount of work that's clearly been put into this thing, I'm confident that that scenario is far from out of the question.

It's just definitely time for this segment to produce results, this particular car of the hype train has been combed over enough.

Joe Shlabotnik said:
If it ends with the release of Portal 2 it will be one of the shortest ARGs to date. I Love Bees took four months or so to finish.

The whole ARG surrounding the Portal 2 announcement was pretty short lived.

JaseC

Jubbly said:
I know the wiki says the two potatoes are random, but I'm fairly certain the one awarded is dictated by the font on the main menu when you start. If you go between the options and the main menu a few times you'll see the normal bit.trip one change to a standard (Valve?) font.

When we were trying to work out how to get both potatoes I tried playing the level again when it was still set to the original font and had no joy. Played with the alternate font and I got the potato.

I must've played the level at least a dozen times, selecting it both when the font was the typical BTB font and when it was the Half-Life font, however I only got the "avoid the obvious pun" log-in once. I finished the level in Nether mode at least 3 or 4 of those times, too.

It's completely random.

epmode

Treefingers said:
Cogs can DIAF, god damn I suck at these puzzles.
Agreed. Sliding puzzles are the bane of my existence in every game they're in (LAYTONNNNNNNNN, Resident Evil 4 (!)). The notion that someone would WANT to play them is astounding.

But the worst part about Cogs is the move counter and the timer. Some of those requirements are out of control. They're even difficult with a youtube video ion the side.

Devo%2Bspud%2Bheads.jpg

Rickard

What are the odds of an early release actually happening? And if it did happen what are the chances that it would also include retail console versions?

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Rickard said:
What are the odds of an early release actually happening? And if it did happen what are the chances that it would also include retail console versions?

I'd say there's a 23.33% of an early release happening.

Don't question my sources.

Zomba13

Rickard said:
All signs seem to point to an early steam release. Probably not retail though.

epmode

Rickard said:
What are the odds of an early release actually happening?
I'd say it's pretty likely.
And if it did happen what are the chances that it would also include retail console versions?
Has anyone's Amazon order switched over to Shipping Soon? If not, the odds aren't good.

it's one of the bots from yesterday, CONSOLE. the room has been set to officer chat only, and there's only one officer trying to enter commands right now, although there's umpteen gazillion people in the room haha

Is using that Razer thing from the ARG wiki alright to use? I know both of the things you should never touch are the exe and dll files unless you want to get VAC banned. But I'm guessing all that this program does is trick the system into saying you are plugging in a Razer mouse or something like that.

Just want to make sure I have nothing to worry about if I use it.

B33

Banned
Rickard said:
And if it did happen what are the chances that it would also include retail console versions?
Unless retailers receive their shipments early and get the "go ahead" to break the official street date set by EA and Valve, you won't be seeing an early release for the console counterparts of the title.

Zomba13

Alaskanbullworm said:
Is using that Razer thing from the ARG wiki alright to use? I know both of the things you should never touch are the exe and dll files unless you want to get VAC banned. But I'm guessing all that this program does is trick the system into saying you are plugging in a Razer mouse or something like that.

Just want to make sure I have nothing to worry about if I use it.
Pretty sure all the .dll does is trick your computer into thinking you are using a piece of Razer hardware. I don't know for certain though.

Also, livestream of chat console http://www.justin.tv/deamosseraph#/w/1081891472

Jintor

theinfinityissue said:
oh, to be sure, I'd love it if the ARG continued well past Portal 2's release and started revealing something else, like a new Valve IP or that silly quarter life episode 2.9 or whatever it's called. And with the amount of work that's clearly been put into this thing, I'm confident that that scenario is far from out of the question.

It's just definitely time for this segment to produce results, this particular car of the hype train has been combed over enough.

Concept art and songs not good enough for you eh?

Top Bottom