• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Jintor

I still don't know if these console steamusers are legit or not and I'm way too tired to wait 15 minutes. I'm going to bed and hoping Portal 2 is out in the morning

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ywa's annoying so many people with his random command inputs, it's hilarious.

And where's EatChildren? He's been all about this ARG since he found out about it.

this is kind of surreal. It's like a room with 200 people in it surrounding an alien, with four people asking it questions, while everybody else holds their breath to see if it utters some ultimate wisdom or in this case shits out a copy of ep 3

TheExodu5

Banned
The only thing that makes me believe the console users are legit is that the one last night said something like "ERROR: SHUTTING DOWN blablabla", and then Steam went offline right after.

Rickard

Let's assume that at the end of this is one of two surprises. One is an early release of Portal 2. The other is the official announcement of Episode 3.

Which one would be a bigger deal?

JaseC

Rickard said:
Let's assume that at the end of this is one of two surprises. One is an early release of Portal 2. The other is the official announcement of Episode 3.

Portal 2 being released will just send everybody into a frenzy.

Episode Three being formally announced would break the internet.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Rickard said:

Anyone who says "Portal 2 early release" will be baked... and then there will be cake.

MNC

I don't see how this could lead to Episode 3. Nothing has been related to it concerning this ARG afaik, except for that fake advisor.

Also, I don't want it to release early because I support Valve's multiconsole steam :(

---Administration notice: Any employee seen using public terminal PFD todat will be fired. Any employee seen talking to J.D.H. will be fired. This was rushed because I have a meeting to attend.

C.J.---

Sibylus

Banned
I really hope that this console guy isn't a red herring, he's dropping numerous Borealis references (Hyperborea was the name of the ship during the early stages of HL2 development, if you recall).

---I don't know if this got out in time, but...
Anyone who is in my account, do not open /hyperborea directory. It's not what you think it is. It uploads something to the mainframe and starts infecting most programs. No idea how it works, but it does.

~J.H.---

:eek:

MNC

17:49 - CONSOLE: ---I don't know if this got out in time, but...
Anyone who is in my account, do not open /hyperborea directory. It's not what you think it is. It uploads something to the mainframe and starts infecting most programs. No idea how it works, but it does.

~J.H.---
17:49 - flatluigi: ...oh
17:49 - ģЯøШηϋρ*: ...umm
17:50 - ģЯøШηϋρ*: it wasn't me

Awesome

MNC

MD2: 94970c5fb05fe6b52737c320d5cee546
MD4: ebf073fa4fe725bd6c9980790a5a4473
MD5: 30329a404f1b7722b0a83f60c629293a
CRC 8, ccitt, 16, 32 :

CRYPT (form: $ MD5? $ SALT $ CRYPT):
$1$SJC9RSw6$RzsLzqU.WWEZL/5rdjTy7/
(form: SALT[2] CRYPT[11]):
psN79JCI4sC5Y

SHA1: 111043e3445db57e86448559d7972443e538fb63
RIPEMD-160:
a61c938f53f1c020a5077e9476c683be0787706f

17:54 - Frostshocker: CONSOLE has changed their name to -testsubject53-.
17:54 - ģЯøШηϋρ*: he's now called -testsubject53-

OH SNAP

JaseC

Forkball said:
Who is Console? Clicking on his Steam profile, he just seems like a regular guy.

Access to the console (presumably that of GLaDOS) is through infected players (those who had their Steam profiles and such edited by GLaDOS). That's why the profiles don't give anything away.

Blizzard

Banned
Lostconfused said:
Ugh I can't believe how much I hate Audiosurf right now.
If you are trying to do the second song, I posted some suggestions in the Steam thread. I I don't think take you more than 2-4 hours for the game to randomly decide to give you enough companion cubes to beat the score, if you are normally scoring 140k-160k.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
So I haven't been following this ARG until now... how many profiles were ifnected by Glados? From what the console said, can't infected players go into Console and open the hyperborea directory? It seems like that's what we're waiting for. This probably sounds stupid but I have no idea what happened before this.

Sciz

Blizzard said:
If you are trying to do the second song, I posted some suggestions in the Steam thread. I I don't think take you more than 2-4 hours for the game to randomly decide to give you enough companion cubes to beat the score, if you are normally scoring 140k-160k.
Play on Elite you weenies, 525k isn't hard at all.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Superimposer said:
So I haven't been following this ARG until now... how many profiles were ifnected by Glados? From what the console said, can't infected players go into Console and open the hyperborea directory? It seems like that's what we're waiting for. This probably sounds stupid but I have no idea what happened before this.
The infected players were probably plants from the beginning

Zomba13

The new image on the wiki (the one sent to various people) looks like this when you zoom out
Ugdgy.png

Is it supposed to look like anything?

JaseC

Orellio said:
Wow, really? BMS release being tied into this would rival an EP3 announcement for me :D

While doubtful, it would explain the zero media releases since 2009. We're closing in on 18 months since we've seen literally anything of the project.

Even their Twitter hasn't been updated since January 2010, even though the team said they'd keep it reasonably active so people don't think the mod is dead. (A dev blog, of sorts.)

That looks like part of the portal Breen used to try to escape to the Combine homeworld. Holy shi

just kidding, could be any fucking thing, maybe a pokemon or a remote control helicopter

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Zomba13 said:
The new image on the wiki (the one sent to various people) looks like this when you zoom out
Ugdgy.png

Is it supposed to look like anything?
376452689_ead2272662.jpg

This is in Seattle, which fits with the direction the ARG seems to be going. Doesn't look like a match from this angle really though.

Oreoleo

JaseC said:
While doubtful, it would explain the zero media releases since 2009. We're closing in on 18 months since we've seen literally anything of the project.

Yeah, don't get me wrong. It would be nice if BMS got tied into this somehow. But I'm not holding my breath. It's easier to just not think about it :(

Top Bottom