• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
markot said:
You better not need potatoes to get it early >.<

I wouldn't think so. Those with potatoes will probably be rewarded in some other fashion.
Early access to Episode Three.

jambo

April 13th, 2011

23:54: A page with binary was discovered. Translating the binary to ASCII, and then using the Caesar cipher using keyletter "S" gave the following message: "TEST SUBJECTS ACQUIRED LOCKDOWN NEARLY BYPASSED EARLY EMANCIPATION EMINENT"

EDIT: Entry was removed from the wiki

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
markot said:
You better not need potatoes to get it early >.<
I think the potatoes were more of a threshold. Steam users collectively hit 100k potatoes for example, and it releases early.

Sai-kun

Banned
There's no source on that picture except for a random IRC user.

Don't be so quick to jump back on the hype train guys, just sayin'.

Hylian7

Sai-kun said:
There's no source on that picture except for a random IRC user.

Don't be so quick to jump back on the hype train guys, just sayin'.
You're probably right sadly, it's removed from the Wiki.

Salsa

Ive been pretty confident for an early release for a while now, i just wonder if there's more to the ARG, and what the potatoes mean.

Red

SalsaShark said:
Ive been pretty confident for an early release for a while now, i just wonder if there's more to the ARG, and what the potatoes mean.
Yeah the potato thing is so weird. Could it really be as silly as looking at "Portal Two" and cutting out some letters?

Untracked

I was gonna get this game on 360 for co-op with friends, but IF it's coming out early I'll be buying from Steam too. I cannot wait another week knowing other people are playing it. Spoilers will be everywhere.

JaseC

Feep said:
Fun fact: "Imminent" is different from "eminent". I doubt Valve would make a rookie mistake.

Derp. I misread it.

It's possible the word was crude when decoded and the person assumed it was "eminent" instead of "imminent". Such liberties have been taken a few times when decoding information throughout the ARG.

catotheyounger said:
For real. What is up with the OT anyhow?

Dax and Botolf are working on it. Today or Friday is the ETA, IIRC.

Salsa

JaseC said:
Dax and Botolf are working on it. Today or Friday is the ETA, IIRC.

They didnt let me be a part of the OT saying they had everything under control.

Those bastards, now the thread isnt here. WHO'S LAUGHING NOW

JaseC

SalsaShark said:

<Subject name here>

Jintor

* 00:11: Unlock-icon.png LordNed, was taken. The usual "There is a hole in the sky... through which I can fly." was observed when he parted.

I love the odd tone that's going with the wiki now that GlaDOS is in the system. It's almost like a fatalistic zombie-survival diary.

Hylian7

Jintor said:
I love the odd tone that's going with the wiki now that GlaDOS is in the system. It's almost like a fatalistic zombie-survival diary.
Apparently he was in fact "taken" too. I cannot wait for tomorrow. This is a time I wish my cell phone had a data plan.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Weeee got the AaAaAA!!! second tater.

Blizzard

Banned
I got the second Audiosurf potato, but when I close my eyes I SEE BLOCKS SCROLLING. That'll never go away now, will it. (at least I'm a big fan of the song or I could have never made it, lol)

Salsa

oh wait you mean second one as in the one from this phase ? by typing "killing you.." etc ? thought you were talking about a new one :(

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
SalsaShark said:
how ? MY LIFE NEEDS MEANING AGAIN

Boot the game, and click the Portal button pad on the lower left corner. In the screen that comes up, enter including all punctuation;

Killing you and giving you good advice aren't mutally exclusive.

That should boot a level, and in it you have to get five stars, which means you need to hit nearly every single pad. There's two or so moments where you can only hit a 500 pad or a 1grand+ pad, so in those you always go for the highest. You also need to use the two portals/teleporters/thing to get two high score pads next to each other. There's also a 0x733F pad you need to hit as it adds a huge multiplier.

I'm pretty goddamn terrible at the game and I managed to get it after a few runs.

EDIT: Yep. Im behind :p.

Sibylus

Banned
SalsaShark said:

We had everything under control up until the point we didn't, and then science happened. The kind that gets your research grants taken away.

Crunched said:
ARG leading up to release of OT
Laffed.

Blizzard said:
I got the second Audiosurf potato, but when I close my eyes I SEE BLOCKS SCROLLING. That'll never go away now, will it. (at least I'm a big fan of the song or I could have never made it, lol)
It's even worse with crazier songs. I played the game a shitload when it came out and playing with Megaman music or some other crazy video game music makes you see colored blocks in your sleep.

Nabs

CrookedRain said:
It's even worse with crazier songs. I played the game a shitload when it came out and playing with Megaman music or some other crazy video game music makes you see colored blocks in your sleep.
Dr. Wily Stages 1 And 2 in Ninja Mono killed me.

Alaskanbullworm said:
Another tip for Audiosurf, grab one of the inks with the portal gun just in case you are about to overfill on one of your lines, so you have a backup plan. It's also handy to use at the end for a clean finish.Grab every block no matter what. If it does happen to overfill more than once or twice, reset.

I had no idea you could do that. Damn it, Audiosurf, time for round 2.

syoaran

Don't think it needs to be said here, but Gametrailers has a preview of the game and I'd advise NOT watching it, as it
confirms
a lot of the rumours out there.

JaseC

syoaran said:
Don't think it needs to be said here, but Gametrailers has a preview of the game and I'd advise NOT watching it, as it
confirms

Typical GameTrailers. They either show all (reviews, previews, etc.) or nothing ("exclusive" footage).

Hylian7

syoaran said:
confirms
Are we talking about the same video? I watched it and it was mostly video and information we already saw/knew.

syoaran

Hylian7 said:
Are we talking about the same video? I watched it and it was mostly video and information we already saw/knew.

Quite possibly, but it does spoil
the opening of the game and who the main antagonists are.
We knew these things to an extent, but it removes any
curve balls or mysteries that could happen. Its like AC just before release, we knew there was a futuristic element, but 90% of the audience didnt know until 10mins into the game - same spoiler heavy stuff

Hylian7

syoaran said:
Quite possibly, but it does spoil
the opening of the game and who the main antagonists are.
We knew these things to an extent, but it removes any
curve balls or mysteries that could happen. Its like AC just before release, we knew there was a futuristic element, but 90% of the audience didnt know until 10mins into the game - same spoiler heavy stuff
I always thought that stuff was very obvious. There's nothing that says they can't throw in another surprise later on in the game anyway.

marrec

Banned
HurricaneJesus said:
This is insane. I really wish this stuff existed when I was younger.

Valve is really in touch with gamers. I have only been checking out the Amnesia updates, but holy shit it is awesome.

I hope it got lots of sales off of this. I honestly wasn't interested in Portal 2 at all before this ARG. I figured it was just a cash in, but now I think otherwise.

So fucking good.

Not to be a NERD but this stuff has existed for at least 11 years. If you're talking about general ARG stuff anyway. First ARG I actively participated in was 'The Beast' which was put on for the movie A.I.

The movie was crap but damn was that ARG fun. This isn't even the first ARG to use Videogames to help build it's world. 'Last Call Poker' revolved around the game Gun. This is however the only ARG I've known that had so many different products tied in with it, Valve really is in a position to put together some fantastic games what with their ability to control content so well.

Also, screw that Audiosurf potato. 334,000 indeed! *scoff*

What if this ARG isn't the Pre-Portal 2 thing Valve was talking about. Maybe there is a short, prelude episode being released on friday (4/15/2011)?

Top Bottom