• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Here's that last piece put in.
hGtwm.png

Sibylus

Banned
cornontheCoD said:
I hope this doesn't turn out like the Portal 1-Portal 2 ARG. All that hype and build up, and the reward is a portal 2 announcement by GameInformer before the internet even solved the puzzle completely. This better actually reveal something that would not have been revealed if the ARG clues weren't looked into
The ARG also teased Coop and made an addition to Portal 1's ending, which was pretty awesome.

cornontheCoD

Neo Member
Botolf said:
The ARG also teased Coop and made an addition to Portal 1's ending, which was pretty awesome.

Yeah, but I thought the whole point for an ARG is for players to find something that would otherwise not be unveiled for a while. It seemed odd to me that Gameinformer just a announced the game at the time that they did.

Jubbly

Lionel Mandrake said:
Here's that last piece put in.
hGtwm.png

Nice. I don't know if it means anything, but the filename of the image sent by Gabe was peers root cobs.jpg Perhaps together with the image and the numbers, the filenames contribute to the puzzle?

Jubbly said:
Nice. I don't know if it means anything, but the filename of the image sent by Gabe was peers root cobs.jpg Perhaps together with the image and the numbers, the filenames contribute to the puzzle?
It's pretty well explained here: http://valvearg.com/wiki/Emails_from_Gabe_Newell
And that's the anagram of "reboot process".

The most awesome trolling in the world would be for the ARG to announce portal 2 is delayed.
kidding, fingers crossed this leads into HLE3/HL3

MNC

The only thing I'm seeing in that is a personality core!

Also, the way I'm seeing it; Portal 2 got that announcement ARG way back. It was so awesome it even got me banned! But if all of this is only relating to Portal 2... What would be the big reveal? The game's already coming out and to have an ARG this vast related to a game which is already getting its deserved attention is a bit weird.

Also, Valve is the only company that can make me play DOTA2, strangely enough. I didn't care about DOTA otherwise so I'll turn that frown upside down!

Sibylus

Banned
cornontheCoD said:
Yeah, but I thought the whole point for an ARG is for players to find something that would otherwise not be unveiled for a while. It seemed odd to me that Gameinformer just a announced the game at the time that they did.
It was pretty blatant that the ARG involved Portal before that reveal occurred. And the coop tease was definitely a unique revelation (later confirmed at E3).

Cyntec

Potatos deliver electricity like lemons do - maybe you remember that from your physics lesson. But I better quit talking now :D

Jenga

Banned
Cyntec said:
Potatos deliver electricity like lemons do - maybe you remember that from your physics lesson. But I better quit talking now :D
so the combine invaded earth for its rich potato resources

what a twist

re: Potato electricity. IIRC, it's done with two different metals (e.g. copper and nickel) inserted into the potato to turn it into a battery. Not sure if you could make a jump from that - the metals? Positive/negative ions? - to a game title or similar?

Cyntec

Cosmonaut X said:
re: Potato electricity. IIRC, it's done with two different metals (e.g. copper and nickel) inserted into the potato to turn it into a battery. Not sure if you could make a jump from that - the metals? Positive/negative ions? - to a game title or similar?

...potato leads to Portal 2.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
gibble1.jpg

Borealis go go gog ogogoog

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
For anybody wondering how a bathysphere could possibly tie into Portal 2, there's this piece of concept art:

Dm8Tv.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hylian7 said:
When did this one get released? This is the first time I've seen it. Were there any specifics on where this was (maybe on some certain ships perhaps?).

From the last lot of screens, GDC or PAX maybe. Its official.

Hylian7

Pipomantis said:
I'm with Hylian7 on this. Chambers and test subjects look no Ep3 to me.
You misunderstand what I was saying. I was kind of making the far stretch to Episode 3. While it's doubtful, it would make sense.

More test subjects = Gordon?
Thirteen off-site test chambers = Borealis?

We do know that the Borealis is located somewhere not close to where the Aperture Science facility is, so that would definitely be considered "off-site".

JaseC

Pipomantis said:
I'm with Hylian7 on this. Chambers and test subjects look no Ep3 to me.

I was certain the ARG was going to lead into the thing that would fill the gap years between the end of the Portal and the beginning of Portal 2. However, now that it's been confirmed the comic is fulfilling said function, I'm not sure where the ARG is headed.

This seems like an awful lot of work to simply drum up hype for an already-hyped game that is around the corner.

Yeah, you may be right (and somehow I hope you are) but the more we know, the more I think it's still Portal 2 related.

And as old as it is, I just realised how "Potato" sounded like "Portal two" when said out loud (with a hot potato in your mouth :p).

EatChildren

Its not going to be anything other than Portal 2. Theres no reason for it to be anything else.

Doopliss

Hylian7 said:
You misunderstand what I was saying. I was kind of making the far stretch to Episode 3. While it's doubtful, it would make sense.

More test subjects = Gordon?
Thirteen off-site test chambers = Borealis?

We do know that the Borealis is located somewhere not close to where the Aperture Science facility is, so that would definitely be considered "off-site".
It doesn't make much sense making those connections. If the next piece of info that comes out mentions a companion cube, you'll be speculating that it refers to Alyx Vance.

Hylian7

Doopliss said:
It doesn't make much sense making those connections. If the next piece of info that comes out mentions a companion cube, you'll be speculating that it refers to Alyx Vance.
COMPANION CUBE IS ALYX VANCE! CONFIRMED!

Seriously though, it's just wishful thinking on my part but you never know. This is what happens when you've been waiting almost four years for something that should have been out after 6 months.

On the one hand, I'm completely pessimistic and think this is just a way to tease/hype Portal 2 (you say Potato, I say Portal 2).

On the other hand, I don't see the point of going to such lengths (that's a shitload of sources and seriously elaborate stuff) just to hype Portal 2 for internet detectives that were already hyped for it. Or perhaps the game is its own reward.

Maybe the endgame is Portal 2 preloading. That would be pretty fucking anticlimactic.

EatChildren

There's still the Aperture Science login page that we dont have any password for.

EatChildren

Pipomantis said:
Did anyone try the login/password of Cave Johnson from the original game?

cjohnson/tier3

There's no login, just a password. Nothing has worked so far.

Mr. Spinnington said:

You can only access the page by meating certain requirements in games from the Potato Sack, so a lot of people wont be able to play with it.

JaseC

Palette Swap said:
Damn, just saw this in the RPS comments and it's kind of obvious actually:
Next friday? WTF. Shit's getting real.

For a moment there I thought next Friday would be the Friday following the release of Portal 2.

Hylian7

Palette Swap said:
Damn, just saw this in the RPS comments and it's kind of obvious actually:
Next friday? WTF. Shit's getting real.
Gahhhh! I was hoping it was this Friday as in today. That's probably the big answer to the ARG though, unless the last piece of the bathysphere shows something else significant. Just like how the last ARG pointed to that award show Gabe appeared on. I bet we will get to preload Portal 2 on that day, or maybe something even bigger?
I'm still wishfully thinking it might be Episode 3

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Hylian7 said:
Gahhhh! I was hoping it was this Friday as in today. That's probably the big answer to the ARG though, unless the last piece of the bathysphere shows something else significant. Just like how the last ARG pointed to that award show Gabe appeared on. I bet we will get to preload Portal 2 on that day, or maybe something even bigger?
I'm still wishfully thinking it might be Episode 3

I love the idea of running a whole ARG to announce the date you can preload a game. I hope that's it, because it would hilarious.

JaseC

I like the idea of having the ARG lead to nothing but the very first playable build of Half-Life, running on the Quake engine.

"Experience Half-Life like never before... like it's 1996!"

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
JaseC said:
I like the idea of having the ARG lead to nothing but the very first playable build of Half-Life, running on the Quake engine.

"Experience Half-Life like never before... like it's 1996!"
That would be incredible. Getting to see videos of that was such a treat.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Just to note, there are thirteen games in the Potato Pack. Thirteen off-site chambers. Thirteen games with Portal 2/Potato stuff. That makes sense, right?

I also wonder about the possibility of Portal 2...Being Episode 3. That'd be a bit of a twist. I mean, it's established that they occupy the same world, isn't it? And I can't remember, but didn't they say they were going to add actual weapons and not just the Portal Gun to Portal 2? Or am I confusing that with prototypes for the first Portal?

Top Bottom