• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Servizio said:
Just to note, there are thirteen games in the Potato Pack. Thirteen off-site chambers. Thirteen games with Portal 2/Potato stuff. That makes sense, right?

I also wonder about the possibility of Portal 2...Being Episode 3. That'd be a bit of a twist. I mean, it's established that they occupy the same world, isn't it? And I can't remember, but didn't they say they were going to add actual weapons and not just the Portal Gun to Portal 2? Or am I confusing that with prototypes for the first Portal?
I'd imagine if Portal 2 was episode 3, people getting into the game for the first time would be completely confused. As much as I want you to be correct, I don't see Valve limiting themselves like that.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Servizio said:
I also wonder about the possibility of Portal 2...Being Episode 3. That'd be a bit of a twist. I mean, it's established that they occupy the same world, isn't it? And I can't remember, but didn't they say they were going to add actual weapons and not just the Portal Gun to Portal 2? Or am I confusing that with prototypes for the first Portal?
Lol no that would be fucking terrible.

I... uh... I don't think Valve is going to combine two of its most anticipated games into one game. You know, effectively canceling out a couple of million units' worth of sales revenue.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Servizio said:
Just to note, there are thirteen games in the Potato Pack. Thirteen off-site chambers. Thirteen games with Portal 2/Potato stuff. That makes sense, right?

Indeed it does. It would make sense that each games has a seperate means of accessing the Aperture login page. Each must essentially be a test chamber.

hamchan

Events in Portal 2 factoring into Episode 3 would not surprise me at all.

Portal 2 BEING episode 3 though....lol.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Stallion Free said:
Lol no that would be fucking terrible.

Well, Valve did say they were sick of doing Half Life...It'd be a two birds with one stone sort of idea.

Of course, there really isn't anything to suggest it and what sense would it make to combine two money making franchises?

I am pretty baffled as to what this ARG could be leading up to though. An elaborate ARG to announce a sequel makes sense, but what additional information about the game would warrant a double dip into this madness?

I hope it's more TF2 hats!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Servizio said:
Well, Valve did say they were sick of doing Half Life...It'd be a two birds with one stone sort of idea.

They also confirmed only a few weeks ago that Episode 3 was still in the works.

Anyway, part of this ARG has lead to this song.

Hylian7

Servizio said:

STOP KILLING MY EPISODE 3 HOPE BONER!

Seriously though, I doubt Portal 2 will be Episode 3. They seem to be making it very clear that they will only have small references to HL within the game (things like mentioning the fact that they compete with Black Mesa).

syoaran

EatChildren said:
They also confirmed only a few weeks ago that Episode 3 was still in the works.

Anyway, part of this ARG has lead to this song.

I actually like the song, I presume a track from the single player portion of the game.

Hylian7 said:
STOP KILLING MY EPISODE 3 HOPE BONER!

Seriously though, I doubt Portal 2 will be Episode 3. They seem to be making it very clear that they will only have small references to HL within the game (things like mentioning the fact that they compete with Black Mesa).

I'm sure portal 2 isn't ep 3, but Episode 2 seemed to imply that Aperture Science (or what's leftover from a dangerous experiment of theirs) will play a pretty big role in ep 3.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
JaseC said:
Do you have a source?

I probably spoke far too strongly for what I remember, and I'm not even sure if this what I'm thinking of, but;

Basically, at Valve everybody gets to decide what they're working on. Some people say, "I want to work on Steam for a while," or "I'm tired of photo-realistic stuff; I'm going to work on Team Fortress 2 for a while." We do have some variety in terms of projects, and Left 4 Dead was a lot of fun for people to work on. It's fun to play, too. It's a fun game. After we've shipped one of our games, we're all pretty damned tired of it. I've played Half-Life 2 probably a couple of hundred times. It can be fun for a while, but getting to try something else and not look at headcrabs for a while is definitely a nice break.

Is the closest I can rustle up with google.

http://www.1up.com/features/gabe-newell-talks-valve-plans?pager.offset=1

So yeah, "sick of doing" was way too strong. "Enjoyed not working" on is closer. Which is understandable with how development of HL2 went, and then the 'Episodic' content.

Red

Servizio said:

As cool as that would be, it's not fair to consumers and it wouldn't work from a marketing standpoint. Portal is great, but I'm quite sure Half Life commands a broader audience, and the mere mention of Half Life 3 would get most of the fan base into a frothing tizzy.

I'm hoping P2 will tie into the HL series more strongly, but beyond a few cryptic hints and nods at what to expect, I doubt there will be much.

We can hope though!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
webrunner said:
portal 2
po tal two
po ta too
potato
Yeah, valve has more or less confirmed it with this being an offical tag:
as_potatobadge.png

I like how they left the TM symbol in.

POTA TO, prequel to DOTA TWO.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Servizio said:
http://www.1up.com/features/gabe-newell-talks-valve-plans?pager.offset=1

So yeah, "sick of doing" was way too strong. "Enjoyed not working" on is closer. Which is understandable with how development of HL2 went, and then the 'Episodic' content.

I think I remember that. Seems he was speaking in generalities. Your previous post made it sound like it was a company-wide opinion. :p

In any case, we know Episode Three has been in the works since at least May 2006.

Drkirby said:
Yeah, valve has more or less confirmed it with this being an offical tag:
http://steamcommunity.com/public/images/skin_1/as_potatobadge.png

I like how they left the TM symbol in.

POTA TO, prequel to DOTA TWO.

Haha, there is no way that was made in anything other than Paint.

FStop7

Banned
Bathysphere = Portal 2 is Bioshock is Episode 3 confirmed.

Cave Johnson = Andrew Ryan

Gordon Freeman = Big Daddy

Servizio said:
Yes. The message pretty much means the community should do more stuff in the 13 games to unlock whatever will be unlocked. For example, that message from killing floor points to that.

Honestly, that would suck. That's like receiving a birthday present and being told it's also your christmas present. Also, having anything else than a portal gun would ruin it.

dammit, this got me all excited

the prospect of actually hearing something about ep3 from valve is pretty awesome, although I would still laugh if this is some april fool's day trolling on their part

JaseC said:
"Deploying"? Surely IGN haven't been living under a rock for the past week?

IGN don't pay attention to anything, that's why they still suck.

Although to be fair, they do link to the ARG Wiki.

Hylian7

JaseC said:
IGN has received an e-mail with an image, however it's the same image MacWorld received earlier.

"Deploying"? Surely IGN haven't been living under a rock for the past week?
Fuck that where is the Portal 2 comic they said they were going to post today?!

abunai

'Saruman' on IRC just got the last piece, no idea who it was.

badc3228b21645589ca4cd9.png

The original filename of the last piece was 'jsharman'

I need to know what's going on ;_;

This is interesting.
+-------+------+-------+
| i rel | e4se | uqu1s | // i released (sequels?)
| ick 1 | t' a | h:g♫o | // sick it' ahead
| of sc | hedu | lono1 | // of schedule,
| hat w | as a | mne | // that was a ****. (joke? test? mistake?)
| . my | 9oal | 1s km | // my goal is **
| 2 ema | ncip | {qae√ | // to emancipate
| 0meth | 1ng | eäÅy1 | // something else?
| early | . bu | tq1 ☼ | // early. but
| y're | on t | É Ey3 | // they're on to me.
+-------+------+-------+
| the | syst | am 1s | // the system is
| _ in | lock | down. | // in lockdown.
| i s. | ill | have | // i still have
| acces | s to | thir | // access to thirteen
| teen | off- | site | // off-site
| chamb | ers | and A | // chambers and
| M= in | st4l | lling | // am installing
| a te | st 1 | n eac | // a test in each
| h one | . i | am go | // one. I am
+-------+------+-------+
| ing t | o ne | ed a | // going to need a
| lot m | ore | test | // lot more test
| 5ubje | cts/ | 2 m0 | // subjects to move
| ve fo | rwar | d. wa | // forward. Waiting
| 1t1_n | 9 an | d AM | // and am
| expec | ting | imme | // expecting
| diate | com | plian | // immediate compliance.

Early Portal 2 release on Steam?

Lionel Mandrake said:
This is interesting.

Early Portal 2 release on Steam?
If solving this madness of a puzzle leads to an early release it would be ideal as I have 2 weeks of college off, starting next week, and I will probably be bored the whole of next week waiting for the week after when it releases.

But I don't think it's happening.

I don't have a clue what is happening.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Haha, a few people noticed the dial extension in the Portal 2 comic and rang Valve to try it out.

Now Garret Rickey (a programmer from the original Portal team) is going to have a bunch of random messages on his machine.

Jenga

Banned
i rel | e4se | uqu1s | // i released (sequels?)
| ick 1 | t' a | h:g♫o | // sick it' ahead
| of sc | hedu | lono1 | // of schedule,

is it a "in-plot" comment or a message from valve?

maybe the whole point of the ARG is that valve has finally overcome Valve time!

heyf00L

What that's trying to point out is that the final section of the picture doesn't follow the pattern. The name was different from the other names. And when you XOR with 255 to get ASCII like all the other images, you get garbage.

I don't think they know how to solve it yet, tho. So they don't know what it says there yet.

GABDEG

Jenga said:
is it a "in-plot" comment or a message from valve?

maybe the whole point of the ARG is that valve has finally overcome Valve time!
Didn't they say the game was done already?

BY2K

Membero Americo
So there's only one piece left to translate?

Nice.

The question is, will this be the solution, or just another clue?

EatChildren

BY2K said:

Nice.

Well, as said, we still have no use for the Aperture Science login page. We dont even have access to it through every game yet. So this is far from over.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
BY2K said:

Nice.

I'm betting on clue.

1) We still have a little over a week until Portal 2's (official) release. More time for them to fuck with us.

2) There is the thing with the Aperture Science login pages going on. If the bathysphere puzzle was the last thing, I kind of doubt they would be doing other puzzles.

Chao

abunai said:
'Saruman' on IRC just got the last piece, no idea who it was.

badc3228b21645589ca4cd9.png

The original filename of the last piece was 'jsharman'

I need to know what's going on ;_;

It looks like the jigglers from Adventure Time, well, kind of

TheJiggler.png

I'm not sure how "serious" these hopes that Episode 3 is somehow within Portal 2 are, but I'll go ahead and point out that Portal 2 is rated E10+ and there's no way Half-Life could get that rating.

Top Bottom