• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Ramenman said:
So true. The game is still coming out the day it was announced. Where is the problem guys ?

Problem is some (most) hyped up the game release to this morning. Looking around I see waves of people who canceled their Amazon pre-orders for this. Had I done it I may have been annoyed but it should have been obvious this wasn't the release. People just hype themselves up too fast and too hard to step back a moment and breathe. :p

Salsa

Justo woke up and..

SalsaShark said:
im starting to lean torwards the theory that this ARG conists uf us using potatoes for energy to bring GLaDOS back into function. The whole "GET POTATOES!" thing in the ARG would also fit since GLaDOS is supposedly taking over the wiki.

called it ? :p

Atilac said:
2 weeks of a bizarre easter egg hunt, 2 weeks of decoding dan brown style clues, 2 weeks of people looking for signs and working their asses off. For a fucking marketing stunt? The culmination of that 2 weeks of work is this? You complain of entitlement, I say the people who slaved away at this stupid fucking stunt deserve to have the game released early.
This was always a marketing stunt, and people working on the ARG knew that from the start.

The game is still probably going to be released early.

This is funny, Community project to get the game launched EARLY. The rage from some of you is funny, you pretty much DEMAND the game just to be released early, wtf? Nobody from Valve ever said it's gonna happen, but you have the chance to release it ~2 days early, so get it on!

Ramenman

Atilac said:
2 weeks of a bizarre easter egg hunt, 2 weeks of decoding dan brown style clues, 2 weeks of people looking for signs and working their asses off. For a fucking marketing stunt?

That was always the point of every ARG ever.... An ARG is a marketing stunt. Don't blame Valve for your own ignorance.

Also, if anyone has a Potato Sack game (besides SMB,Killing Floor, Defense Grid, and Audiosurf) and for some reason you don't have a copy of Portal 1, I have a copy to trade.

Atilac said:
2 weeks of a bizarre easter egg hunt, 2 weeks of decoding dan brown style clues, 2 weeks of people looking for signs and working their asses off. For a fucking marketing stunt? The culmination of that 2 weeks of work is this? You complain of entitlement, I say the people who slaved away at this stupid fucking stunt deserve to have the game released early.

Congrats on being the only person not working under the obvious assumption that this is a marketing stunt, I guess? That's what an ARG is. Did you think there really was a rampant AI taking over Steam games?

forrest

formerly nacire
I really think it will release early even if the numbers don't equate to whatever value Valve may have put in place. I just can't see them letting this entire ARG build up to the finale only to fire a blank. That's a lot of money and manpower to put into something just to have a negative ending. I mean the fun people have had and the buzz/marketing that has been generated is surely viewed as a success, but without the final goal being reached it seems like it will be rather disappointing.

Rapstah

Is everyone just guessing it counts the time the games have started up? I mean, just looking at the GladoS@home site, I immediately get the impression that it's hours you spend inside game * potatoes owned.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
krzy123 said:
wow that the usage jump on some of the games ... if its just cpu's can't you just sit in the main menu? Wait it might be # of potatoes since there are bars next to each game (which isn't # of cpu based, unless its active owners/overall owners)
You likely could, but I would suggest playing the games and all.

Maybe you have to play in the Portal 2 content of the games to move the bars. I wonder how the Wonderful End of the World is so high. The Potatoes aren't that easy and the game is short.

Atilac said:
I've a question: Did the people from two weeks ago already know that they will be able to unlock Portal 2 early? No. Did Valve ever confirm that Portal 2 is going to be release this friday? I guess not. It's your own fault. And you cancelled your console order and pre-ordered the pc version over at steam. Have you done sth. in this ARG campaign?

Dina

Reminds me of the opening of Ahn'Qiraj. It's a clever marketing trick and I would be thrilled if I was one of the indie devs in the potato sack. But thanks, and no thanks. I'll see you guys tuesday.

Salsa

hhahahah jesus christ you guys are bitter. I went trough the whole process of collecting every single potato from the beggining and im totally fine with this.

Jex

People feel more 'entitled' to get the game early because Valve deliberately made them invested in playing their ARG for sometime, an ARG which seemed to be hinting at an early release, which was very clever. It's not an entitlement that was entirely manifested out of thin air.

That said, I don't disapprove of it at all.

I don't think having multiple games open is requires. It looks like the data is being pulled from the Steam stats page and Steam only counts you as playing one game at a time.

Blizzard

Banned
Ramenman said:
So true. The game is still coming out the day it was announced. Where is the problem guys ?
The biggest problem in my opinion are pirates, reviewers, general trolls, and so forth, resulting in the game endings already being on YouTube, the PS3/360 versions already being pirated, and people who preordered still waiting 4 days while those people get to play and/or try to ruin it for people who were trying to support Valve. </cynic>

I'll fire up Defense Grid when I get home.

aaaaaa

The first phase of this ARG (with the glyphs and the consonant strings hidden in the games) was great. The rest was pretty weak.

raphier

Banned
Rapstah said:
Is everyone just guessing it counts the time the games have started up? I mean, just looking at the GladoS@home site, I immediately get the impression that it's hours you spend inside game * potatoes owned.
OH NO stop playing, so we get the game earlier!!!! does not compute.

Ponti

Joe Shlabotnik said:
The ragequits here are highly amusing.
Yep, some highly entertaining meltdowns so far.

Just waiting for people to hit the acceptance stage so we can get this done.

Rapstah

Dina said:
Reminds me of the opening of Ahn'Qiraj. It's a clever marketing trick and I would be thrilled if I was one of the indie devs in the potato sack. But thanks, and no thanks. I'll see you guys tuesday.
What? It releases for everyone at the point the meter hits the limit point. Are you abritrarily going to not play it until it releases?

Atilac said:
Well you are wrong. People play ARGs because they like playing them, because they have fun solving puzzles and finding clues. Nobody promised you portal 2 early, you can have it early but if you don't want to do anything about it then there is no point in bitching.

stuminus3

Blizzard said:
The biggest problem in my opinion are pirates, reviewers, general trolls, and so forth, resulting in the game endings already being on YouTube, the PS3/360 versions already being pirated, and people who preordered still waiting 4 days while those people get to play and/or try to ruin it for people who were trying to support Valve. </cynic>
These people aren't part of any equation to me, especially the pirates. I'd much rather be in on this kind of fun and have to wait a bit longer for Portal 2 than be a total shitcock.

SalsaShark said:
hhahahah jesus christ you guys are bitter. I went trough the whole process of collecting every single potato from the beggining and im totally fine with this.
Are you sure you're not going to cancel your preorder and uninstall Steam because Episode 3 isn't being given to you free?

Zomba13

SalsaShark said:
Same. It seems the most bitter ones are the ones who don't own a potato sack game/have no potatoes/haven't done anything to help the ARG progress, while the ARG players, potato holders and others seem fine with this.

Rapstah

And hey, I was just thinking - isn't it pretty much confirmed Valve owned the ARG wiki from stage one here? It fits right in with the members suddenly turning "infected" and such. And it going down at this stage.

Dina

Rapstah said:
What? It releases for everyone at the point the meter hits the limit point. Are you abritrarily going to not play it until it releases?

I'm not going to play the potato sack games if that's what you mean. I own a few, but I've played them either enough or have come to the conclusion that they suck.

In regards to Portal 2, the current time remaining suggests that it will unlock somewhere Tuesday, but heavy weekend gaming might of course shorten this. So I'll be there when it unlocks, but playing games I have no intention of playing just to make a arbitrary meter shove to the right, no thanks.

The M.O.B

Killing floor has close to 5,000................and the bar is one of the smallest. >_<

I'm looking for a good empty server so we can Gaf party on it.

PatzCU

The CPU requirements are clearly to scale with how many active users own the game. I have to imagine some thought was put into the requirements to make sure they could actually be met. Killing Floor and SMB with the largest CPU requirements makes sense to me.

I'll be on after work to help out with either Killing Floor or Amnesia. Hopefully a push on Killing Floor is organized for tonight.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm pretty stunned at this turn of events to be honest. I feel bad for the few GAFfers I noticed posting they'd canceled their PS3 preorders so they could play now. I feel like they were doing something pretty amazing regarding this launch and this is kind of sucking the air out of it.

Still, can't wait to play it.

KScorp

Ok, the top bar is filling. Most likely the more people playing concurrently, the faster the top bar fills. (So if no one is playing, you don't lose any progress of the top bar, it just stops going further.) At least, that's how it should work if they want to model distributed computing somewhat accurately.

So it's not just that you are playing, it's how long you're playing. We don't need everyone playing at once.

(Although I don't know about the red bars in the game, maybe they work the same way. Once a bar is filled, playing that game doesn't help the overall progress, or something like that.)

Rapstah

Dina said:
I'm not going to play the potato sack games if that's what you mean. I own a few, but I've played them either enough or have come to the conclusion that they suck.

In regards to Portal 2, the current time remaining suggests that it will unlock somewhere Tuesday, but heavy weekend gaming might of course shorten this. So I'll be there when it unlocks, but playing games I have no intention of playing just to make a arbitrary meter shove to the right, no thanks.
The big ticking number is the official release date. The bars are independent of the big ticking number. At this rate it's coming out tomorrow.

SalsaShark said:
it was a great ride. assuming that speculation is right, i'm letting audiosurf idle in the background as that's all i can do to contribute at this point. kudos to you guys with all 36 tho, if i could afford the pack i'd be right there with you

the bitterness is delicious but within the next 24 hours people will have figured out the system and be near unlock or given up and waiting til tuesday

Salsa

LETS DIE A BUNCH OF TIMES IN SUPER MEAT BOY AND SHIT

ChargeAtTrevilianStation.jpg

FOR SCIENCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Top Bottom