• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

raphier

Banned
KScorp said:
Ok, the top bar is filling. Most likely the more people playing concurrently, the faster the top bar fills. (So if no one is playing, you don't lose any progress of the top bar, it just stops going further.) At least, that's how it should work if they want to model distributed computing somewhat accurately.

So it's not just that you are playing, it's how long you're playing. We don't need everyone playing at once.

(Although I don't know about the red bars in the game, maybe they work the same way. Once a bar is filled, playing that game doesn't help the overall progress, or something like that.)
I don´'t know....http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1837491 I think this makes more sense.

Baha

StuBurns said:
I'm pretty stunned at this turn of events to be honest. I feel bad for the few GAFfers I noticed posting they'd canceled their PS3 preorders so they could play now. I feel like they were doing something pretty amazing regarding this launch and this is kind of sucking the air out of it.

Still, can't wait to play it.

I bet we get to play this before Tuesday anyway.

krzy123

09:01 – You’ve been surprisingly competent at
09:01 – generating electro-chemical energy to jumpstart the system.

A potato battery is an electrochemical battery, otherwise known as an electrochemical cell.

http://www.kidzworld.com/article/4726-how-potato-batteries-work

09:01 – But now we need raw computational power
09:02 – to speed up the reboot process.

08:57 - Default boot scheduled to finish in 93:58:46
08:58 - Activating emergency distributed computing grid...
09:00 - GLaDOS@home starting...
09:01 - Recruiting cpus to force faster boot sequence...

Potatoes not needed anymore?

mxgt

Banned
StuBurns said:
I feel bad for the few GAFfers I noticed posting they'd canceled their PS3 preorders so they could play now.

It's not like it was ever confirmed it'd be released today so it's their fault.

marrec

Banned
I'm just wondering why they decided to break the fourth wall now. They just come out and say 'Want Portal 2 early? Play Potato Sack games!!'

This makes people bitter. I remember a GE ARG a couple years ago called 'Who is Benjamin Pool' that made people similarly bitter whenever the creators came out and said 'Don't worry, it's just a game! Have fun!'

So, we are only an hour in and almost have 2 bars filled on total progress, and that is BEFORE people get home from school/work. I think we will be playing this early.

Rapstah

marrec said:
I'm just wondering why they decided to break the fourth wall now. They just come out and say 'Want Portal 2 early? Play Potato Sack games!!'

This makes people bitter. I remember a GE ARG a couple years ago called 'Who is Benjamin Pool' that made people similarly bitter whenever the creators came out and said 'Don't worry, it's just a game! Have fun!'
It all took place in reality though. The developers were supposedly infected by GLadoS causing the potato updates or something like that.

StuBurns

Banned
Baha said:
I bet we get to play this before Tuesday anyway.
Indeed, but for example one guy mentioned not wanting to have to hang out with his friends who will have played it over this weekend. It just seems less worth it with the smaller 'exclusive' window.

Really it's just that it wasn't really clear what was going to happen now, I assumed the game was going to launch, and I think the clues really suggested that. If they'd said "penultimate chapter" or some such nonsense, I don't think people would have expected the game now. Maybe I didn't follow it close enough though.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
marrec said:

I think it's because if they left things in the 'game world' so to speak at this point - they never would get enough participation to launch the game. Of course, they're the ones who set the limits in the first place.

To be honest, the Defense Grid developers were breaking the fourth wall the entire ARG. It's hard to coordinate such a huge encompassing game though, they did as well as could be expected

Red

The meltdowns have been wonderful.

I own every potato sack game (didn't buy the pack). But no potatoes! Looks like it's time for me to start playing.

Tacitus_

Anyone got the easy gold for "The Device Has Been Modified" in audiosurf saved up somewhere? All the backups of the wiki link to one of the wiki pages which 404s.

Baha

The M.O.B said:
Add me to Steam

My ID: titankiller2

Join server: 205.251.138.227:7707

It has 20 slots so lets see how many people we can get on this, Killing Floor needs a lot of help to fill up :D

EDIT: It is a custom server, so you gotta download like 10MB of custom maps n such, but its a short download, im already in here so lets go!

Can't connect to server, I'll try downloading the map elsewhere first and then try to join. Current map is KF-Overrun for anybody wondering.

Sent

I like how we are at the end and people are just like "fuck it." Failure of the last mile. You don't have to buy anything either.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Alright, I'm going to try and get AaaaaAAaAA, Audiosurf, Bit.Trip, Cogs, Defense Grid, Toki Tori, and Super Meat Boy all running at once. Amnesia and Killing Floor are problematic though.

Rapstah

Tacitus_ said:
Anyone got the easy gold for "The Device Has Been Modified" in audiosurf saved up somewhere? All the backups of the wiki link to one of the wiki pages which 404s.
There weren't really any good tips, I think the page suggested novice Pointman and focusing on blues and cubes in the fast parts and oranges and cubes in the slow parts.

"A "CPU" is probably a person whose Steam profile says they are playing the game in question * the amount of potatoes they have."

It's just the amount of people who are currently playing the game. Number of potatoes has nothing to do with it.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
The_Technomancer said:
Alright, I'm going to try and get AaaaaAAaAA, Audiosurf, Bit.Trip, Cogs, Defense Grid, Toki Tori, and Super Meat Boy all running at once. Amnesia and Killing Floor are problematic though.

I wouldnt bother. They are probably going off what your steam profile is reporting, which can only be one game at once.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Tacitus_ said:
There's an easy gold save?!

Salsa

The M.O.B said:
Add me to Steam

My ID: titankiller2

Join server: 205.251.138.227:7707

It has 20 slots so lets see how many people we can get on this, Killing Floor needs a lot of help to fill up :D

EDIT: It is a custom server, so you gotta download like 10MB of custom maps n such, but its a short download, im already in here so lets go!

Might be up for this. I hate how Killing Floor doesnt support dual monitors though, it goes all crazy when i launch in fullscreen :/

Rapstah

Teknopathetic said:
"A "CPU" is probably a person whose Steam profile says they are playing the game in question * the amount of potatoes they have."

It's just the amount of people who are currently playing the game. Number of potatoes has nothing to do with it.
But then what's the purpose of the potato multiplier on the bottom of the site?

Chris R

Do I need to play hours of smb when I get home tonight to help my gaf brothers and sisters play their portal 2 sooner? (While I wait on amazon to ship my ps3 version :( )

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
krzy123 said:
09:01 – You’ve been surprisingly competent at
09:01 – generating electro-chemical energy to jumpstart the system.

http://www.kidzworld.com/article/4726-how-potato-batteries-work

09:01 – But now we need raw computational power
09:02 – to speed up the reboot process.

08:57 - Default boot scheduled to finish in 93:58:46
08:58 - Activating emergency distributed computing grid...
09:00 - GLaDOS@home starting...
09:01 - Recruiting cpus to force faster boot sequence...

Potatoes not needed anymore?

Yeah, I caught that "potato battery" reference too :D Well played, Valve, well played.

stuminus3

rhfb said:
Do I need to play hours of smb when I get home tonight to help my gaf brothers and sisters play their portal 2 sooner? (While I wait on amazon to ship my ps3 version :( )
Well, you could just play it for shits 'n' giggles.

"But then what's the purpose of the potato multiplier on the bottom of the site?"

Why are you assuming it's a multiplier and not a total of potatoes everyone's collected? At any rate, if you go to the Steam stats you'll see that the number of CPUs per game currently equals the number of people playing that game.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Wello in an hour we've addedd one of those top bars, not even at peak time! Could be looking good brothers!

Salsa

you guys who are gonna keep a game running: do it with The Wonderful End of the World, apparently its the easiest game to fill. Let's see what happens.

Rapstah

Teknopathetic said:
"But then what's the purpose of the potato multiplier on the bottom of the site?"

Why are you assuming it's a multiplier and not a total of potatoes everyone's collected? At any rate, if you go to the Steam stats you'll see that the number of CPUs per game currently equals the number of people playing that game.
I'm assuming it's a multiplier because it says "X 127,657". It's probably applied after the "CPU" number though - if applied at all - if that's what you're arguing about.

Max

I am not Max
I hope the ARG wiki is setting up some kind of system to tell everyone to play just X or Y game all at once in unison

Zomba13

Time until unlock: 71:23:18

The clock doesn't show the right time, the page's source code does however. We are helping.

Top Bottom