• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

The people in the BF3/FB thread were right..

Like us on FB and get a trailer a few days early!
Spend $40 now and get the game a few days early!

TheExodu5 said:
Surely you own one of those games. You don't need to buy anything.
I own two of them, But I don't care to play them. I'm more talking about the fact that there's a banner linking to the Steam page to buy them. Just seems like money making scheme to me.

the way it seems to work is this: (seems)

The more potatoes you have, the more "powerful" your cpu is to GlaDOS. All you have to do is actually play one of the games and you'll generate a certain amount of power towards that game's goal. So just pick whichever one you own with the least amount of cpu's on it and start playing.

I never finished Defense Grid anyway.

Blizzard

Banned
sw33tclyde said:
The people in the BF3/FB thread were right..

Like us on FB and get a trailer a few days early!
Spend $40 now and get the game a few days early!
Hope pirates/reviewers/Steam friends don't spoil the game for you early while you wait! >_>

epmode

This sounds like concurrent CPUs. So: The total number of potatoes earned by everyone currently connected to Steam.

I NEED TO GET HOME.

edit: Or maybe the current number of Steam users currently in one of the Potato Sack games?

samoset

I own a few of those games how do I get potatoes in order to help the cause? There doesn't seem to be any guides for getting them when I've google searched for it.

Zomba13

Kylehimself said:
I own two of them, But I don't care to play them. I'm more talking about the fact that there's a banner linking to the Steam page to buy them. Just seems like money making scheme to me.
Well they are a business. And they are promoting indie devs in possibly the best way possible.
You don't have to play the game, just leave it running. I've got SMB running in the background.

TheExodu5 said:
Surely you own one of those games. You don't need to buy anything.

I own none of those games. NONE! I had no intention of buying any of them either, and to be honest... I would feel like a complete idiot if I bought any of them for this... BUT I want to play early.

How many internet Steam / Portal 2 fans are there and are willing to pay for these games that haven't already? To be honest, I don't think it will get released much early at all. This is complete BS.

Kylehimself said:
Nobody is holding a gun to your head. Don't want to do it that's fine but no point in bitching about it either.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
MasterShotgun said:
...What the fuck Valve. What the fuck.
My thoughts exactly.

It's nice that they're encouraging support for indie games, I guess, but for the results of such a long countdown to be...this? Hard to not feel betrayed.

I will only be willing to forgive them if an Episode 3/Half-Life 3 announcement ultimately comes out of this.

Lostconfused said:
Nobody is holding a gun to your head. Don't want to do it that's fine but no point in bitching about it either.
Seriously, no gun? *Phew* load off my mind. I'm simply saying, just seems like a boring waste of time. Tuesday will come and the game will be out. Meh.

kswiston

ColonialRaptor said:
I own none of those games. NONE! I had no intention of buying any of them either, and to be honest... I would feel like a complete idiot if I bought any of them for this... BUT I want to play early.

How many internet Steam / Portal 2 fans are there and are willing to pay for these games that haven't already? To be honest, I don't think it will get released much early at all. This is complete BS.

Honestly, it surprises me that there are people with none of the potato games at this point. I never bought the potato pack and still have 9 of them. Do you ONLY buy big budget AAA titles? Because at least half of those games are excellent. Among the better titles this generation.

EDIT: half of these games have also been offered up in the 5 for $5 steam indie bundles as well. And all have gone on sale for $2-5 at some point.

Forkball

Forkball said:
I'm ready to get Valve'd
And I was.

Numbers keep going up and down. I wonder if that bar means the people currently in the game, and in order to fill it up everyone has to be in the game at the same time. That's going to be impossible.

The M.O.B

If you do not own Killing Floor, Super Meat Boy or Amnesia, then I highly recommend you at least buy those. All great games worth the money.

Nothing is updating for me....

Can someone post how I can get all the potatoes? I want to get them all now, since I will be bored all weekend.

Thanks!

Also could you tell me what ones are easy and what are difficult.

Baha

From Steam News:

This weekend is the last chance to pre-purchase Portal 2. Get your copy now, save 10% and be ready to play the moment it is released.

Help release Portal 2 early: From now until release, play any or all of games in The Potato Sack to expedite the launch of Portal 2. Your efforts will be tracked on the official GLaDOS@home page.

Each game in The Potato Sack has received a massive Portal-themed update, making a collection of 13 hit indie games even better. So why not get a taste of Portal 2 now while you help launch it?

Forkball said:
And I was.

Numbers keep going up and down. I wonder if that bar means the people currently in the game, and in order to fill it up everyone has to be in the game at the same time. That's going to be impossible.
numbers have been fluctuating, it'll require massive organization to see if it works, heck looking by how small the bars are filled even for Killing Floor, I am going to say this is going to be impossible.

Krev said:
My thoughts exactly.

It's nice that they're encouraging support for indie games, I guess, but for the results of such a long countdown to be...this? Hard to not feel betrayed.

I will only be willing to forgive them if an Episode 3/Half-Life 3 announcement ultimately comes out of this.
Long count down? It was like 24h or less. How's that long?

Baha said:
From Steam News:
So you don't have to collect the potatoes, just play the games from the pack.

DaBuddaDa

Mikey Jr. said:
So this is the end of the ARG?

The hell was the point of everything.....
Point of ARG is marketing; to get people to talk about Portal 2, and to say the least this ARG has certainly done just that. An ARG is not a game to satisfy the insane people who follow its every minuscule hint and spend hours upon hours upon hours cracking its code. The people who end up doing that stuff are always going to be disappointed at the final results.

dave is ok said:
It started at 118k potatoes, went down to 75k and then back up to 119k.
the counter is rising, but that doesn't tell us anything about a final number

[12:08 PM]119,205
[12:12 PM]119,408
[12:15 PM]119,623
[12:18 PM]119,939
[12:21 PM]120,566

Weenerz

Banned
Bah, I work till 10pm est, I'll just start up each of the games and go to work. Leave them running till I get home or till my PC crashes lol.

Top Bottom