• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Feep

Banned
theinfinityissue said:
Weird, I just randomly got the 2 potatoes. It's not bugged. I'm buying the sack. I'm leaving for 15 mins to get a pre paid credit card. When I return..

The first person who's quoted this post and said "survival horror isn't dead" gets Amnesia.

First one quoting and saying "I liek food" gets Super Meat Boy.

Aaaand the first one quoting this post and saying anything else will get Defense Grid.

You'll know if you've won. If you do, pm me your Steam name. Three different winners.

Oh and the first to denote that they want Portal 1 can get that as well. We sell them too.
I liek food

theinfinityissue said:
Weird, I just randomly got the 2 potatoes. It's not bugged. I'm buying the sack. I'm leaving for 15 mins to get a pre paid credit card. When I return..

The first person who's quoted this post and said "survival horror isn't dead" gets Amnesia.

Aaaand the first one quoting this post and saying anything else will get Defense Grid.

You'll know if you've won. If you do, pm me your Steam name. Three different winners.

Oh and the first to denote that they want Portal 1 can get that as well. We sell them too.

"survival horror isn't dead"

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
theinfinityissue said:

DEFENSE GRID PLEASEEEE.

(So I too can complain about how impossible the potatoes are to get lol)

Inspirius

This line basically sets the end time for the timer. 332552 is the number of seconds before it expires.

var g_endTimeLocal = 332552 + ( Math.round( new Date().getTime() / 1000 ) );

It looks like valve are just rewriting the page for each request. If that number starts dropping quickly then the timer will also drop.

Looking at the source for the bar it is currently set at 12 pixels wide, there is space for about 500pixels which means current progress is around 2%.

theinfinityissue said:

=(

So can I just leave the games running or do I have to actually play them to contribute? I got shit to do but I want to help. :(

EDIT: Anddd there's my answer.
EDIT2: Damn, I was idling Killing Floor. lol

Rapstah

Revolutionary said:
So can I just leave the games running or do I have to actually play them to contribute? I got shit to do but I want to help. :(
Steam should have no way of tracking if you're playing the game or just idling in all cases except Killing Floor.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Revolutionary said:

Just leave the games running. No need to play them.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Can somebody try the Cheat Engine method for the second Audiosurf potato?

I can't seem to get it to work. Either the game crashes or I end the song with as many points as I've amassed as a result of just letting the game run through the level/song.

This potato has been a giant PITA for me, and if I get it - even by cheating - I'll happily move on to the others.

-Not trying to troll or anything, just wondering why people like doing this stuff. Weren't you hoping for a final, grand reveal of something?

I I personally think the early release of Portal 2 is more exciting than an announcement.

Feep

Banned
The hell? The line is now:
var g_endTimeLocal = 332752 + ( Math.round( new Date().getTime() / 1000 ) );

332752 is 200 seconds MORE than it was before. What the hell?

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Phandy said:
This is when stuff in web development drives me crazy. The source code actually says exactly the text that should be in there, in that bit on the real web page.
But somewhere its managed to add 20 hours, without any noticable scripts or anything.
WHERES IT COMING FROM???

The server. Some CGI script is generating the HTML for the webpage dynamically. The javascript then has the variable for the "end date" stored in its memory and automatically refreshes every second to calculate down to the date handed to it when the page was generated.

Salsa

friend of mine wants to help out, he basically doesnt own anything from the potato sack :p

just letting you guys who are giving extra games away know.

SalsaShark said:
friend of mine wants to help out, he basically doesnt own anything from the potato sack :p

just letting you guys who are giving extra games away know.
I had an extra copy of Killing Floor that I just sent away, I read your post afterwards.

Phandy

Campster said:
The server. Some CGI script is generating the HTML for the webpage dynamically. The javascript then has the variable for the "end date" stored in its memory and automatically refreshes every second to calculate down to the date handed to it when the page was generated.

Im thinking that 71 hours number is just a place holder or something for the dynamic time in its place. It hasnt move at all since I last posted.

So I think the 71 hours might be irrelevant.

I'm actually kinda glad that it's not out today, because I just found out a couple hours ago that something came up and in an hour or so I'm going to be away from any and all computers until at least Sunday night. :(

JoeBoy101

EmCeeGramr said:
I'm actually kinda glad that it's not out today, because I just found out a couple hours ago that something came up and in an hour or so I'm going to be away from any and all computers until at least Sunday night. :(

Leaving your computer idling in Amnesia or something before you leave.

This, PROBABLY IS NOT the crack. Take with a pinch of salt and a whiff of neurotoxin.

1. Valve is giving us a chance to launch Portal 2 early!

2. http://www.aperturescience.com/glados@home/

3. Remember the Potato Sack? GlaDOS is apparently drawing "power" from computers playing games in the potato sack. For every collective 48 hours for one particular game, that game's "power bar" goes up by 1%. And Steam needs to record you actually playing the game - just leaving something idling in the background does not contribute.

4. The potatoes we all frantically collected can still be collected - in fact, you are a major contributor if you even collect one potato in one game. Potatoes multiply that game's particular power, so if, say, you gathered 5 potatoes in Audiosurf and one in Bit.TRIP BEAT, you'd be multiplying EVERYONE's efforts in Audiosurf by 6x and BIT.TRIP BEAT by 2x.

5. Some people seem to think that launching multiple games is a good idea. This is in fact, not helping at all, because Steam only records keyboard activity in games launched through Steam, not through external launching.

Top Bottom