• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Red

Alright, I'm going for the KF potato. €70,000?? Going to need help. Anyone else playing KF right now?

Steam id is everluck

MRORANGE

According to steam forums the rate of the bar is going at 1.46% per hour at this rate we will get this game in 68 hours, or 22 hours from the Tuesday deadline.

celebi23

Huh, I kinda slept a bit late. Let me just check that countdown page. I wonder what this all led to....................

fuuuuuuuuuuuu.jpg

Well, at least I have time to get the other 19 potatoes, right?

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Shalashaska161 said:
So if I turn on Super Meat Boy and leave it on the title screen it will work? I have to study for exams but I'm willing to help the cause.

We arent sure if they are tracking whether or not you are actually playing, but it definitely cant hurt!

dangerbyrnes said:
i don't like to be the bearer of bad new but.

at the current rate of progress, this is what i came up with.

2na0etf.jpg

Thats at the current rate though. Its only 3pm on east coast of US, most people are still in school and at work. Dont know if it will unlock tonight, but I assume some time tomorrow wouldnt be out of the question.

Goon Boon

Banned
Crunched said:
Alright, I'm going for the KF potato. €70,000?? Going to need help. Anyone else playing KF right now?

Steam id is everluck
If you're scrupulous and dishonorable you can use the killing floor map kf-perklevelingv4 and just walk around the room full of money for 30 seconds.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Goon Boon said:
If you're scrupulous and dishonorable you can use the killing floor map kf-perklevelingv4 and just walk around the room full of money for 30 seconds.

How do you get to the shop in that map though?

I doubt they'd let all those efforts net us a LATER release, much less the original date. I'm sure if things aren't moving along they'll change some coefficients or something.

Sorry for the delay, damned prepaid credit cards can be a huge hassle. I'm sending out games to the winners now.

celebi23

Goon Boon said:
You'll also need to host the game & select the listen option when you see it.

stryker1138 said:
It's still the middle of a work day. The pace will pick up this evening.

yeah, but even if it doubles in speed you might have it be released one day early.

i suppose thats good enough.

Edit: wait... no, Sunday is what i meant. 2 days is better than no days.

scogoth

dangerbyrnes said:
i don't like to be the bearer of bad news but.

at the current rate of progress, this is what i came up with.

2na0etf.jpg

Hate to be the bearer of good news but your calculations are wrong, there are 99 bars. And people are still at work/school.

We're at a little over 4% now
Full
overallprogress.png

As of 3:25EDT
20110415-g1ttwphksinw2dyrq2fy4aih65.jpg

Zeliard

theinfinityissue said:
I doubt they'd let all those efforts net us a LATER release, much less the original date. I'm sure if things aren't moving along they'll change some coefficients or something.

Sorry for the delay, damned prepaid credit cards can be a huge hassle. I'm sending out games to the winners now.

They probably have a specific hidden limit for this thing to hit by a certain time before they decide to game it up and make it go faster. It's extremely doubtful after this they'd still release it after this weekend. There should be a notable upswing in activity after 5 PM EST, either way.

scogoth said:
Hate to be the bearer of good news but your calculations are wrong, there are 99 bars and at current rate should be ready to play in 24 hours. And people are still at work/school.

lol, I thought today was Saturday. according to my (inaccurate)chart It would release on Monday at 3, not Tuesday. plus it'll probably go faster leading to it releasing late Saturday or early Sunday.

i feel like a dumb junior now =(.

Dance In My Blood said:

much more accurate.

clav

Campster said:
The analogy Valve is using is distributed computing.

Think of "booting up" Glados as a very complicated task, and each game represents a part of that task. Once all of the game's red bars are filled, the game comes out! But to complete each task we'll need CPUs dedicated to performing the task, the more the better. It's not about how many people are on at once, or a percentage of the number of owners. It's about the number of people playing the game across time. So while playing the game you might give .001% of completion to a game per minute. So if you play for 10 minutes, you've helped move the bar .01%. We need as many people playing each game for as long as they can in order to unlock Portal 2.

It's basically SETI@Home, except instead of finding aliens we're releasing videogames early.
Except the progress bar is still moving according to the original launch schedule.

:|

Losing hope. Moar people please.

scogoth

dangerbyrnes said:
lol, thought today was Saturday. It would release on Monday at 3, not Tuesday. plus it'll probably go faster leading to it releasing late Saturday or early Sunday.

i feel dumb now.

99 bars we are at just over 4% in roughly 3 hours. 99/4 = 24.75*3 = 75 hours after launch. Just leave your games running over night people!

EDIT: messed up big time now fixed.

Thomper

Zombie James said:
Yay, 12 hours shaved off. This actually isn't bad progress at all considering all the normal people are at work or school.
You know, people who aren't American also play games. It's not like Europeans/Austrians aren't contributing to the timer right now. Our workday is done. :p

scogoth

Thomper said:
You know, people who aren't American also play games. It's not like Europeans/Austrians aren't contributing to the timer right now. Our workday is done. :p

Also remember as the news spreads out it'll ramp up, not just work/school cycles.

B-Dex

Can someone PM me the GAF KF server PW? I am to stupid to figure it out. Honestly. LOL

NNM: I must have typed it in wrong before. I got it :)

Cranzor

I'm purchasing Bit Trip Beat because it looks awesome and I want to help you Portal fiends play Portal 2 early even though my computer can't run it :D I love how Valve is promoting indie games, they're such a great company.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Thomper said:

You do know that we have a much, MUCH higher population of gamers in the states, right?

scogoth

Datwheezy said:
You do know that we have a much, MUCH higher population of gamers in the states, right?

You do know you haven't given any stats to back that up and that europe has 3 times the population of the US right? Even if the US had 50 per capita and europe had 33 per capita they'd have more gamers.

Zomba13

Cranzor said:
While the wiki is down, can anyone explain how to get the tater in Bit Trip Beat?
First: Get a beat ball thingie behind the level 2 boss.

Second and Third: Beat the <TEST> level. I think you get 1 for being in black and white mode, one for being in normal. Some say it's random though so I have no clue. I finished it in black and white and again in normal and got both.

GJS

Mister_Bubbles said:
This, PROBABLY IS NOT the crack. Take with a pinch of salt and a whiff of neurotoxin.

1. Valve is giving us a chance to launch Portal 2 early!

2. http://www.aperturescience.com/glados@home/

3. Remember the Potato Sack? GlaDOS is apparently drawing "power" from computers playing games in the potato sack. For every collective 48 hours for one particular game, that game's "power bar" goes up by 1%. And Steam needs to record you actually playing the game - just leaving something idling in the background does not contribute.

4. The potatoes we all frantically collected can still be collected - in fact, you are a major contributor if you even collect one potato in one game. Potatoes multiply that game's particular power, so if, say, you gathered 5 potatoes in Audiosurf and one in Bit.TRIP BEAT, you'd be multiplying EVERYONE's efforts in Audiosurf by 6x and BIT.TRIP BEAT by 2x.

5. Some people seem to think that launching multiple games is a good idea. This is in fact, not helping at all, because Steam only records keyboard activity in games launched through Steam, not through external launching.

This was written by one of the IRC ops in the #valvearg2, neither of those bold points are confirmed.

The current CPU on GladOS@home is lifted directly from the same information that http://store.steampowered.com/stats/ uses, and that is just a list of people in a game idle or not.

There has been nothing to say potatoes multiply anything.

webrunner

GJS said:
This was written by one of the IRC ops in the #valvearg2, neither of those bold points are confirmed.

The current CPU on GladOS@home is lifted directly from the same information that http://store.steampowered.com/stats/ uses, and that is just a list of people in a game idle or not.

There has been nothing to say potatoes multiply anything.

Well I can confirm the second bold point is completely and utterly insanely wrong otherwise the math works out that we'd be done multiple times over by now:p

GJS

scogoth said:
Is this confirmed?
Pretty much, sit and look at them both.

They update at different time intervals but the current CPU will at one point always equal the current players for the respective game at http://store.steampowered.com/stats/, and Valve will want those numbers to be as high as possible to show how active Steam is, they have no reason to exclude people who are idle.

webrunner said:
What's the comparative concurrance on saturday and sunday, though? The stats page doesnt go back that far.

It usually hovers in the range of 3.2-3.5 million. Given the release of Portal 2 and this ARG it is likely will be a little higher. However, most U.S. universities are in the last weeks of their terms so a lot of students are really busy this time of the year.

webrunner

Lasthope106 said:
It usually hovers in the range of 3.2-3.5 million. Given the release of Portal 2 and this ARG it is likely will be a little higher. However, most U.S. universities are in the last weeks of their terms so a lot of students are really busy this time of the year.

A lot of students are also pretty much doing nothing this time of year (as a student exams were basically time off for me:p)

It really depends on how much cramming they intend to do.

Top Bottom