• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
By my count, I'll be missing a potato when I'm done with the last few games. I know for certain I got all the initial 13 potatoes, so that knocks down the candidates by a third (more or less).

If that second Audiosurf potato didn't register...

Baha

samoset said:
http://www.hasportal2launchedyet.com/

But we're 29.15% (1.33%/hour) there!
Approximately 70:27:08 to go, according to GLaDOS.
That's 50.3 minutes ahead of "default boot"!

Did this site break? because if not wow...

I'm using the javascript code posted several pages back on the GlaDoS page:

Code:
javascript:(function(){document.body.appendChild(document.createElement('script')).src='http://horst.v40.net/steam/js/counter.js';})();

We're at 29.35% going by that. If we hit or go over 30% by 12PM EST, we should be looking at a Monday afternoon/evening release at this pace

Zomba13 said:
Code:
javascript:(function(){var el=document.createElement('div'),b=document.getElementsByTagName('body')[0];otherlib=false,msg='';el.style.position='fixed';el.style.height='32px';el.style.width='220px';el.style.marginLeft='-110px';el.style.top='0';el.style.left='50%';el.style.padding='5px 10px';el.style.zIndex=1001;el.style.fontSize='12px';el.style.color='#222';el.style.backgroundColor='#f99';if(typeof jQuery!='undefined'){msg='This page already using jQuery v'+jQuery.fn.jquery;return showMsg();}function getScript(url,success){var script=document.createElement('script');script.src=url;var head=document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0],done=false;script.onload=script.onreadystatechange=function(){if(!done&&(!this.readyState||this.readyState=='loaded'||this.readyState=='complete')){done=true;success();script.onload=script.onreadystatechange=null;head.removeChild(script);}};head.appendChild(script);}getScript('http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.3/jquery.min.js',function(){msg='This page is now jQuerified with v'+jQuery.fn.jquery;(function(){var space=' ';var current_pourcent=parseInt($('#overall_progress_bar').css('width').replace('px',''))*100/494;$('#overall_progress_ctn').append('<h2 style="display:block;position:relative;top:-50px;left:80px;color:gray;">Progress:'+space+current_pourcent.toFixed(3)+'%</h2><br/><br/>');var now=(Math.round(new Date().getTime()/1000));var g_endTimeLocal=g_originalEstimate;var old_time=g_endTimeLocal;g_updatedEstimate=Math.round(now+(3600*(100/current_pourcent)*(((now+338400)-g_endTimeLocal)/3600)));var timeArray=new Object();timeArray["game_row_18500"]=450000;timeArray["game_row_1250"]=1200000;timeArray["game_row_26500"]=65000;timeArray["game_row_38720"]=50000;timeArray["game_row_38700"]=50000;timeArray["game_row_63700"]=60000;timeArray["game_row_15540"]=50000;timeArray["game_row_12900"]=300000;timeArray["game_row_15500"]=30000;timeArray["game_row_40800"]=350000;timeArray["game_row_57300"]=300000;timeArray["game_row_15520"]=60000;timeArray["game_row_35460"]=120000;var playingtotal=0;var hourstotal=0;var hourslefttotal=0;var potatoes=parseInt($('#potato_count').text().replace(/\D/g,''));$('.game_row').each(function(){var playing=parseInt($(this).find('.game_cpus').text().replace(',','').replace(space+'CURRENT CPUS',''));if(isNaN(playing))return;playingtotal+=playing;var hours_elapsed=(((now+338400)-old_time)/3600).toFixed(3);var spent=playing*hours_elapsed;var owners=Math.round(459/parseInt($(this).find('.game_progress').css('width').replace('px;',''))*playing);var total=Math.round(spent*(457/parseInt($(this).find('.game_progress').css('width').replace('px;',''))));var eta=timeArray[$(this).attr('id')]-((Math.round(playing*100/owners)/100)*timeArray[$(this).attr('id')]);eta=(eta/playing)/(potatoes/100000);hourstotal+=(((playing*100/owners)/100)*timeArray[$(this).attr('id')]);hourslefttotal+=timeArray[$(this).attr('id')]-(((playing*100/owners)/100)*timeArray[$(this).attr('id')]);oldtext='<br/>'+$(this).find('.game_cpus').text().replace(space+'CURRENT CPUS','');oldtext+=space+'('+(((playing*100/owners)/100)*timeArray[$(this).attr('id')]).toFixed(2)+space+'H/'+timeArray[$(this).attr('id')]+'~'+space+'Hours'+')'+space+'('+Math.round(playing*100/owners)+'%)'+space+'ETA:'+space+eta.toFixed(3)+space+'Hours left@curr.rate';$(this).find('.game_cpus').html(oldtext);});$('#console_inner').append('09:01'+space+'-'+space+'Potatoes multiplier:'+space+(potatoes/100000).toFixed(2)+'<br/>');$('#console_inner').append('09:01'+space+'-'+space+'Currently saving:'+space+((old_time-g_updatedEstimate)/3600).toFixed(3)+space+'Hours<br/>');var estimatedhoursleft=(hourslefttotal/playingtotal)/(potatoes/100000);g_updatedEstimate=now+Math.round(estimatedhoursleft*3600);var newDate=new Date();newDate.setTime(g_updatedEstimate*1000);var dateString=newDate.toUTCString();$('#console_inner').append(newDate.toLocaleString()+space+'(Your timezone)'+space+'-'+space+'Portal 2 released<br/>');})();return showMsg();});function showMsg(){el.innerHTML=msg;b.appendChild(el);window.setTimeout(function(){if(typeof jQuery=='undefined'){b.removeChild(el);}else{jQuery(el).fadeOut('slow',function(){jQuery(this).remove();});if(otherlib){$jq=jQuery.noConflict();}}},2500);}})();

Latest java thingie for the GLaDOS page. First one that has actually worked for me. Shows 59 hours till release at current rate.

For the new page.

Edit: Bah, beaten.

Baha said:
I'm using the javascript code posted several pages back on the GlaDoS page:

Code:
javascript:(function(){document.body.appendChild(document.createElement('script')).src='http://horst.v40.net/steam/js/counter.js';})();

We're at 29.35% going by that. If we hit or go over 30% by 12PM EST, we should be looking at a Monday afternoon/evening release at this pace

If we're already at noon on the 18th, I think we may see this Sunday night. Especially when you consider the multipliers.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
DoctorWho said:
For the new page.

Edit: Bah, beaten.

If we're already at noon on the 18th, I think we may see this Sunday night. Especially when you consider the multipliers.
Argh, Sunday night is no good for me! Thats almost as bad as Tuesday, I still have stuff to do during the week.

epmode

DoctorWho said:
I don't understand why Valve's clock still doesn't match the big bar at the top of the page. I guess I'm more inclined to go with Valve's projected time instead of a few sites which calculate based on pixel-count.

edit: Also, the projected times are based on current CPU usage which is going to start dropping soon if previous weeks are any indication. http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

clav

epmode said:
I don't understand why Valve's clock still doesn't match the big bar at the top of the page. I guess I'm more inclined to go with Valve's projected time instead of a few sites which calculate based on pixel-count.

edit: Also, the projected times are based on current CPU usage which is going to start dropping soon if previous weeks are any indication. http://store.steampowered.com/stats/
ETA fluctuates accordingly to # of CPUs, and Valve can't code a new ETA every time. It seems a lot of work for an event that doesn't last that long.

IceMarker

I'm still going with the theory that the amount of owners of a game affects how many users we need to play it at once and potatoes multiply the power of each user to make the goal easier to reach.

My bets on 123 Kick It done by 12:30PM PST.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
MrMister said:
I'm still going with the theory that the amount of owners of a game affects how many users we need to play it at once and potatoes multiply the power of each user to make the goal easier to reach.

My bets on 123 Kick It done by 12:30PM PST.

I'm pretty sure that's what it's been figured out as.

A game takes more hours to fill the red bar if more people own it.
The potatoes multiply the effect of each user, 100,000 Spuds = 1x multiplier (so being on 250,000 we have a 2.5x multiplier).

And judging by the script, Kick It! Will be done in just over 2 hours, call it 18:45 GMT. (Forget what that is in US.

Cindres said:
I'm pretty sure that's what it's been figured out as.

A game takes more hours to fill the red bar if more people own it.
The potatoes multiply the effect of each user, 100,000 Spuds = 1x multiplier (so being on 250,000 we have a 2.5x multiplier).

And judging by the script, Kick It! Will be done in just over 2 hours, call it 18:45 GMT. (Forget what that is in US.
So basically by buying games you're just making this harder. Great incentive for me to buy indie games :p.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Original-Blue said:
So do we know what affects the calculate rate yet? Is it just sitting idle in games? Will it help if I have 6 or 7 windows open?

Multiple games idling will definitely increase your played times in your stats area of your profile, which is more than likely where they are getting their data from. But just in case they are only pulling from what it shows that you are currently playing in your profile, open the game that everyone is working on (or whichever one that you own that is highest on the list on the wiki) first, so it shows on your profile that you are currently playing that one.

Cogs down. Not the proudest of gaming "accomplishments," but it's a game completely about the type of puzzle I hate most.

I had to do "Best Laid Schemes" by following a video. At first I tried following real-time, then I switched to downloading the video, playing it at a quarter speed, and doing a lot of Click-Alt-Click-Alt-Click-Alt. The best part was that the solution doesn't actually look like a solution to me. I had to look up the meaning behind it, and it would almost be clever, except I can hardly see
the "letters" formed in the icons
, so I doubt I would've worked it out legitimately.

JaseC

Just got the Defense Grid CHAS/recruitment potato. That was a lot of fun.

Edit: Ah, just read on the Wiki that the 36th potato is obtained when you get the other 35 from the games. So I haven't missed any potatoes thus far. Great!

thefil

I am clearly too bad at games to do the potatoes. The first Bit Trip one just destroyed me. :( Can't stay in Mega through the fight.

JaseC

thefil said:
I am clearly too bad at games to do the potatoes. The first Bit Trip one just destroyed me. :( Can't stay in Mega through the fight.

Use Cheat Engine to slow down the game speed if you have to.

I've got all the potatoes on all the games I have except BitTripBeat. I beat the Test Level (and got the two potatoes), but the game is so boring I can't even motivate myself to unlock the level you need for the boss fight.

BlisterBrown

Neo Member
Fuck Audiosurf. Nine hours wasted and I have no fucking gold to show for it. As soon as this ARG is over I'm deleting this stupid piece of shit from my HD. FOREVER.

butter_stick said:
I've got all the potatoes on all the games I have except BitTripBeat. I beat the Test Level (and got the two potatoes), but the game is so boring I can't even motivate myself to unlock the level you need for the boss fight.

Whaaaat Bit Trip Beat is my favourite new discovery from the Potato Sack. Second fav would be AaAaAA!!!

Nabs

BlisterBrown said:
Fuck Audiosurf. Nine hours wasted and I have no fucking gold to show for it. As soon as this ARG is over I'm deleting this stupid piece of shit from my HD. FOREVER.
lolololololololol

don't kill yourself over it. go for one color, grab every companion cube.

BlisterBrown said:

I gave up on it and cheated. lol

BlisterBrown

Neo Member
Nabs said:
lolololololololol

That's what I've been doing! I can top 160k+ just about every time, but there's just never enough cubes to push me over 180k.

Blizzard

Banned
Nabs said:
lolololololololol

What I ended up doing was going for just one color at a time (switching when the situation called for it as long as my board was nearly clear), getting better at the pointman special ability, and learning the map. It still took me like 2-4 hours but I've never played Audiosurf much before.

If you can do 140-160k final scores consistently, then eventually the game should decide to randomly give you enough companion cubes to get 180k. If it makes you feel any better, the randomness is probably what is most frustrating about it.

Treefingers said:
Whaaaat Bit Trip Beat is my favourite new discovery from the Potato Sack. Second fav would be AaAaAA!!!

AaAaAaAaA is great. I just hate how long the levels are in BitTripBeat. It's really hard to stay interested. The music isn't all that good either. I dunno.

I liked the Portal level because it was short and didn't outstay it's welcome.

BTW, if anybody here wants to be really cool and has any extra copies of Killing Floor (generously provided by Captain N. Tenneal, who shall be eternally rewarded in heaven) and Super Meat Boy, you would have eternal blessings and many wishings of good luck and fruitfulness on your family if you'd send em my way. For the cause, ya know? Steam ID is ACrunchyFrog.

BlisterBrown

Neo Member
Blizzard said:
What I ended up doing was going for just one color at a time (switching when the situation called for it as long as my board was nearly clear), getting better at the pointman special ability, and learning the map. It still took me like 2-4 hours but I've never played Audiosurf much before.

If you can do 140-160k final scores consistently, then eventually the game should decide to randomly give you enough companion cubes to get 180k. If it makes you feel any better, the randomness is probably what is most frustrating about it.
I kept telling myself that, but it just never happened :(

Whatever, I'm done with auidosurf. I've got both the potatoes for Amnesia and the one for joining the steam group, so I've done all I can for right now. If I get back from work and The Killing Floor is still nowhere near completion I might buy that and help out a bit. Heard good things about it.

TimmiT

Using this Firefox plugin, the website tells me the game will launch in 42 hours and 50 minutes at the current rate this is going. That's 10 hours earlier then the javascript code posted here.

I'm not sure which one I should trust.

EDIT: actually, one of the two java scripts posted here says the same things as the Firefox plugin.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Bit.Trip is amazing, always has been, and AaAaAA!!! can go fuck itself.

Okay, I know AaAaAA!!! is good, it's just one of those "love and hate it" games for me. It makes me rage because I'm terrible at it. But Bit.Trip is still phenominal and anybody who disagrees is broken as a human. I know this thanks to science.

In other news, I now understand that the goal isn't so much to shave off time by completing a game, but to complete all games.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
TimmiT said:
Using this Firefox plugin, the website tells me the game will launch in 42 hours and 50 minutes at the current rate this is going. That's 10 hours earlier then the javascript code posted here.

I'm not sure which one I should trust.

This javascript code:

javascript:(function(){var el=document.createElement('div'),b=document.getElementsByTagName('body')[0];otherlib=false,msg='';el.style.position='fixed';el.style.height='32px';el.style.width='220px';el.style.marginLeft='-110px';el.style.top='0';el.style.left='50%';el.style.padding='5px 10px';el.style.zIndex=1001;el.style.fontSize='12px';el.style.color='#222';el.style.backgroundColor='#f99';if(typeof jQuery!='undefined'){msg='This page already using jQuery v'+jQuery.fn.jquery;return showMsg();}function getScript(url,success){var script=document.createElement('script');script.src=url;var head=document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0],done=false;script.onload=script.onreadystatechange=function(){if(!done&&(!this.readyState||this.readyState=='loaded'||this.readyState=='complete')){done=true;success();script.onload=script.onreadystatechange=null;head.removeChild(script);}};head.appendChild(script);}getScript('http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.3/jquery.min.js',function(){msg='This page is now jQuerified with v'+jQuery.fn.jquery;(function(){var space=' ';var current_pourcent=parseInt($('#overall_progress_bar').css('width').replace('px',''))*100/494;$('#overall_progress_ctn').append('<h2 style="display:block;position:relative;top:-50px;left:80px;color:gray;">Progress:'+space+current_pourcent.toFixed(3)+'%</h2><br/><br/>');var now=(Math.round(new Date().getTime()/1000));var g_endTimeLocal=g_originalEstimate;var old_time=g_endTimeLocal;g_updatedEstimate=Math.round(now+(3600*(100/current_pourcent)*(((now+338400)-g_endTimeLocal)/3600)));var timeArray=new Object();timeArray["game_row_18500"]=450000;timeArray["game_row_1250"]=1200000;timeArray["game_row_26500"]=65000;timeArray["game_row_38720"]=50000;timeArray["game_row_38700"]=50000;timeArray["game_row_63700"]=60000;timeArray["game_row_15540"]=50000;timeArray["game_row_12900"]=300000;timeArray["game_row_15500"]=30000;timeArray["game_row_40800"]=350000;timeArray["game_row_57300"]=300000;timeArray["game_row_15520"]=60000;timeArray["game_row_35460"]=120000;var playingtotal=0;var hourstotal=0;var hourslefttotal=0;var potatoes=parseInt($('#potato_count').text().replace(/\D/g,''));$('.game_row').each(function(){var playing=parseInt($(this).find('.game_cpus').text().replace(',','').replace(space+'CURRENT CPUS',''));if(isNaN(playing))return;playingtotal+=playing;var hours_elapsed=(((now+338400)-old_time)/3600).toFixed(3);var spent=playing*hours_elapsed;var owners=Math.round(459/parseInt($(this).find('.game_progress').css('width').replace('px;',''))*playing);var total=Math.round(spent*(457/parseInt($(this).find('.game_progress').css('width').replace('px;',''))));var eta=timeArray[$(this).attr('id')]-((Math.round(playing*100/owners)/100)*timeArray[$(this).attr('id')]);eta=(eta/playing)/(potatoes/100000);hourstotal+=(((playing*100/owners)/100)*timeArray[$(this).attr('id')]);hourslefttotal+=timeArray[$(this).attr('id')]-(((playing*100/owners)/100)*timeArray[$(this).attr('id')]);oldtext='<br/>'+$(this).find('.game_cpus').text().replace(space+'CURRENT CPUS','');oldtext+=space+'('+(((playing*100/owners)/100)*timeArray[$(this).attr('id')]).toFixed(2)+space+'H/'+timeArray[$(this).attr('id')]+'~'+space+'Hours'+')'+space+'('+Math.round(playing*100/owners)+'%)'+space+'ETA:'+space+eta.toFixed(3)+space+'Hours left@curr.rate';$(this).find('.game_cpus').html(oldtext);});$('#console_inner').append('09:01'+space+'-'+space+'Potatoes multiplier:'+space+(potatoes/100000).toFixed(2)+'<br/>');$('#console_inner').append('09:01'+space+'-'+space+'Currently saving:'+space+((old_time-g_updatedEstimate)/3600).toFixed(3)+space+'Hours<br/>');var estimatedhoursleft=(hourslefttotal/playingtotal)/(potatoes/100000);g_updatedEstimate=now+Math.round(estimatedhoursleft*3600);var newDate=new Date();newDate.setTime(g_updatedEstimate*1000);var dateString=newDate.toUTCString();$('#console_inner').append(newDate.toLocaleString()+space+'(Your timezone)'+space+'-'+space+'Portal 2 released<br/>');})();return showMsg();});function showMsg(){el.innerHTML=msg;b.appendChild(el);window.setTimeout(function(){if(typeof jQuery=='undefined'){b.removeChild(el);}else{jQuery(el).fadeOut('slow',function(){jQuery(this).remove();});if(otherlib){$jq=jQuery.noConflict();}}},2500);}})();

Gives me 42 projected hours too.

JaseC said:
To edit the score? I tried the method at the Wiki, but it wouldn't work for me.

I had that problem too but I realized you have to edit the value after starting the level. Then immediately you'll see a 180000 score.

JaseC

We'll know if those projected times are correct (or within the ballpark) when the counter is recalculated once 123 Kick It! is completed, which should be soon.

Top Bottom