• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
CrookedRain said:
Not how old they are but how many steam users own the game.

Ah, so it was half-right. Makes sense.

KF's requirement must be stupidly high. May as well just replace it with either CS game.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
The numbers under the games are taken from the steam stats page, They tend to match up. Sometimes it could be out by a small few but just about every time i've checked, a few of the games have matched up.

So yes, There are 481 people playing the ball right now. Probably 450 idling which i now hear doesn't count going by a post over at RPS.

evlcookie said:
The numbers under the games are taken from the steam stats page, They tend to match up. Sometimes it could be out by a small few but just about every time i've checked, a few of the games have matched up.

So yes, There are 481 people playing the ball right now. Probably 450 idling which i now hear doesn't count going by a post over at RPS.
That post was complete bullshit. Don't listen to it.

Twig

Banned
CrookedRain said:
Not how old they are but how many steam users own the game.
This makes more sense. TWEOW is, I think, actually the OLDEST game in the pack, and I don't think it's really been advertised much since its release. In sales, or whatever. I got it in a bundle with Aaaa at some point.

CrookedRain said:
Yerp. Steam itself has no way of distinguishing actual play time from idle time, and it's pretty obvious they're using the Steam tracking.

Zomba13

I think we should focus on getting as many people as possible into the NELIPOT group. The potatoes seem to have an effect on the rate the game bars fill.
I've invited everyone on my friends list. Hopefully some will join and we'll all get a few more collective potatoes.

Kritz

Banned
Anyone else feel like it's starting to speed up?

Either the Europeans are getting their asses in gear, or the numbers needed for the bars to fill up have gone down.

Or, you know, placebo.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
CrookedRain said:

I thought it might have been. I've idled in games and steam community counted it as play time. Same goes for TF2 and hats when it was first introduced.

Kritz said:

Either the Europeans are getting their asses in gear, or the numbers needed for the bars to fill up have gone down.

Or, you know, placebo.

Yeah it seems like everything shifted forward a gear. Btw, I think I streetpassed you, are you in Tas?

Hylian7 said:
I just noticed something. The site is only updated periodically. Take a look at the source code for it.

Code:
 <div class="game_cpus">1,481 CURRENT CPUS</div>

This was taken from the line saying how many "CPU"'s Kick It has. Notice the "1,481 CURRENT CPUS" bit. That is hardcoded in. No variables are being pulled, no data from anywhere else. That's just straight up HTML. The potato count IS updated on refresh, and you can see the Javascript that pulls that number.

To sum it up: The CPU counts are updated periodically not in real time. For all we know we could have shaved 30 hours off already.
lol, dude, just stop. You don't know what you're talking about. :)

You're not going to see any server-side calculations and variables on any website's visible HTML source. All you'll see is the HTML output.

Kritz

Banned
davonaytor said:
Yeah it seems like everything shifted forward a gear. Btw, I think I streetpassed you, are you in Tas?

I'm in Tas, I go to Utas. You are on NeoGAF, posting in a Valve thread, yet are not a member of AusGAF / Steam chat.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

Jintor

Kritz said:

Or, you know, placebo.

Yeah, getting that feeling. But yeah... placebo maybe. *shrug*

syoaran

Jintor said:
Yeah, getting that feeling. But yeah... placebo maybe. *shrug*

Just woke up, feels exactly where I thought it would be. EU might do their part, but its still morning/lunch here, so your not going to see EU peak times until 4-5PM GMT, i.e 24hrs after the event started.

I was hoping that US Steam would have pushed more, but I guess unless your a massive portal 2 PC fan your not going to care.

At this point the only interesting thing is going to be seeing what happens when 1,2,3 Kick It's bar fills up, and it's only increased by about a third of a bar in the last ten hours or so. I think I'll start ratcheting my anticipation back to the original release time and take whatever we end up getting.

Goon Boon

Banned
I'm calling it right now, we're gonna end up getting it around sunday night if we don't get some sort of boost :/ (which is good for ps3 preorders like me who are spiteful)

JaseC

Drkirby said:
So, other then play till I am the master of AaAaA, any easy way to get the second Potato in that game?

Give a better player remote desktop access? :p

Jintor

It's not that hard honestly. Thread the needle to the right on your way down, hit all the plates, when the green boost plates start coming head... right-ish to hit the 34,000 plate (or whatever), then hit the speed slowdowns since GlaDoS takes your chute. Bam.

Way easier than goddamn broken clipping Wonderful World

Hylian7

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
lol, dude, just stop. You don't know what you're talking about. :)

You're not going to see any server-side calculations and variables on any website's visible HTML source. All you'll see is the HTML output.
Never mind. I haven't dealt much with web-based stuff. My bad.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Drkirby said:
So, other then play till I am the master of AaAaA, any easy way to get the second Potato in that game?

I am absolutely terrible at AaAaAA!!! and still managed to get the second potato without too much trouble. The level itself is short and you dont have to fly around much.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Ergh, went to bed 10 hours ago and that's all the movement we've seen?

I think they need to cut down the number of hours played necessary to fill those red bars :/

Is there another actively updated Wiki other than valvearg.com? Most of the time that site's been down the last two days (I know about the Google Cache trick), and the few times when it's up, the information is outdated, and doesn't include things like the patches to several games yesterday.

I'm at 25 Potatoes, and I'm hesitant to push for them all. One, I seriously don't know if I can do AaAaaH's, despite what EatChildren said. I tried just dropping on the outside of the level, and it seemed to take forever. But two, a few of them I can't feasibly do in time (or will) outside of cheating with saves (Gold every single level in Cogs, before I can even try the punishing extra levels? Somebody was kind of an asshole coming up with that one). One or two I already have. With that in mind, are they going to focus on the 36 potato people, and look for signs that the cheated, making giving them some sort of backhanded slap for it? (Halos.) I have to wonder, especially when people talk about using "CheatEngine" or something.

Also, it would mean I'd have to actually play through the Amnesia scenario. I played about the first 30 seconds and was done. I'm not much of a Survival Horror person.

We finished The Wonderful End of the World and we're actually doing worse? Yesterday before I slept we were 1 day ahead of schedule, now it's 18 hours...

Hylian7

Wait wait wait wait wait, I just did the math in my head here.

74 = 72 (3 days) + 2

72 hours from now is Tuesday

+2......despite the 50 minute boost, we are somehow still right on schedule and not even early at all!! I did my math right here, right?

GABDEG

darkpaladinmfc said:
We finished The Wonderful End of the World and we're actually doing worse? Yesterday before I slept we were 1 day ahead of schedule, now it's 18 hours...
Valve Time, man. Valve is delaying the early release.

Zomba13

Zomba13 said:
Actually, going by the big 'launch computation' bar, we've knocked off around 20% of the time. 20% in like 14 hours or something? At the current rate we have 56 hours?
Sorry if my math is off.

This is just what I believe btw.
3 hours later and we're at 24 bars (24% give or take).

JaseC

Haha, got the Kick It! potatoes by making the song 3x longer and just playing like shit until I hit 230k.

Spookie

Hylian7 said:
+2......despite the 50 minute boost, we are somehow still right on schedule and not even early at all!! I did my math right here, right?

This sounds awfully familiar. Didn't the Engineer update do something like this? Craft more, get the wrenches sooner and get the update unlocked quicker? Till someone worked out it was all on a bloody timer. :/

Hylian7 said:
Wait wait wait wait wait, I just did the math in my head here.

74 = 72 (3 days) + 2

72 hours from now is Tuesday

Yeah I've been wondering the exact same shit. I'll post what I asked in Portal thread:

Do games on Steam release in Midnight or at 10am? I'm wondering cause if you look at default boot schedule, it comes up to Tuesday April 19th at 10am.

Looking at this countdown, the projected release date with all the computation is Tuesday April 19th at 9am... that's just one hour! :/

If one game moves the schedule to one hour, I guess with everything done, the best we would get is a midnight release. WTF is this shit lol

Zomba13

shagg_187 said:
Yeah I've been wondering the exact same shit. I'll post what I asked in Portal thread:

Do games on Steam release in Midnight or at 10am? I'm wondering cause if you look at default boot schedule, it comes up to Tuesday April 19th at 10am.

Looking at this countdown, the projected release date with all the computation is Tuesday April 19th at 9am... that's just one hour! :/

If one game moves the schedule to one hour, I guess with everything done, the best we would get is a midnight release. WTF is this shit lol
The current theory (well, mine) is that it's guaranteed to release 1 hour early now, even if we don't fill up the computation bar. The game will release when we fill it and we're at 24.1% (approx) right now, meaning if we continue at our pace we'll get it quite a bit sooner than just 1 hour from the original time.

Zomba13 said:
The current theory (well, mine) is that it's guaranteed to release 1 hour early now, even if we don't fill up the computation bar. The game will release when we fill it and we're at 24.1% (approx) right now, meaning if we continue at our pace we'll get it quite a bit sooner than just 1 hour from the original time.

There's the thing. Outside of Valve nudging things along, as more people become disillusioned, and boredom sets in, we won't get anywhere near the last 18 odd hours' numbers.

Doopliss

So what were they thinking when they wrote the bathysphere puzzle? If this grind was the plan at the time then you'd think they would've come up with a less misleading message. If it was a late addition to the ARG (because of pressure from retailers or something) why didn't someone realise that it was a bad idea to have a countdown hyping people even more for what Valve knew would be disappointment?

Mister_Bubbles said:
There's the thing. Outside of Valve nudging things along, as more people become disillusioned, and boredom sets in, we won't get anywhere near the last 18 odd hours' numbers.
It would likely slow down towards the end anyway - at the moment everybody interested can participate, but as games' bars get completed there will be people who don't own any of the remaining games so they stop contributing.

Zomba13

Mister_Bubbles said:
Hopefully that'll be offset by people getting potatoes. we've gained a lot (according to the counter) since the start of the GLaDOS bootup thing.

Zomba13 said:
Hopefully that'll be offset by people getting potatoes. we've gained a lot (according to the counter) since the start of the GLaDOS bootup thing.

It better! My PC (and my ears) shall fry soon!

uCzHp.jpg

Good night, GAF! :p

Pikelet

If all we get is an extra hour closer upon getting 100% each game, wouldn't it make more sense to not focus on individual titles but rather spread the workload? All these cpu-hours spent on games that are already completed are essentially wasted now.

This is of course assuming that something different doesn't happen the next time we complete a game.

Rur0ni

These potatoes don't seem to be taken into account, yet. Just seems like the current projection on the site (earlier release of ~50 minutes) is just based off The Wonderful End of the World.

Code:
19:55 - Calculations complete for The Wonderful End of the World. Recalculating a new launch projection...

JaseC

26 potatoes down. If I can manage to get the FUCKING AUDIOSURF ONE *ahem* I'll have a good shot at getting the golden potato before the release of Portal 2.

Zomba13

JaseC said:
26 potatoes down. If I can manage to get the FUCKING AUDIOSURF ONE *ahem* I'll have a good shot at getting the golden potato before the release of Portal 2.
Is it the 'The Device Has Been Modified' potato?
Because that one was a bitch to get. Good thing it's a good tune or it would have been a real nightmare to get.

JaseC

Zomba13 said:
Is it the 'The Device Has Been Modified' potato?
Because that one was a bitch to get. Good thing it's a good tune or it would have been a real nightmare to get.

Sure is. I've spent at least 4 hours trying to get the bloody thing. I was 4k shy of the goal this morning. 4k! :( The game had updated and the track had a very generous amount of Companion Cubes. I thought to myself, "Oh, cool, they've edited the track to spawn more cubes." Found out that wasn't the case when I had a few more cracks at it.

Prophet Steve said:
Where can I find the files to play for the potatoes in 123 kick it? So that Razer thingy and the SED.zip mp3.
I'll ask again, does somebody has these things for me? Or is the SED thing already found somewhere in the game folders?

Jintor

Ah, I know your pain.

I found best strategy to do Medium Pro, head for oranges in slow sections, head for blues in fast sections, hit every cube. It's not essential but it means you have a far smaller chance of accidentally walling off the bottom half of your screen.

Top Bottom