• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

Edit^

Hmm the 6th is cutting it too close to your Japan trip, if so, maybe we can do it a week earlier? but that's Easter weekend, no?

Alright I guess I will make the thread, but I"ll do it tomorrow, too tired tonight..

How does this date and match sound?

SAT, 6 APR 2013 FLAMES at CANUCKS, 7:00 PM CBC.

There's no games on Fridays, mostly Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays..

MutFox

Banned
Alright I guess I will make the thread, but I"ll do it tomorrow, too tired tonight..

How does this date and match sound?

SAT, 6 APR 2013 FLAMES at CANUCKS, 7:00 PM CBC.

There's no games on Fridays, mostly Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays..

Sounds good as we have a good chance to beat the flames cause they suck,
so everyone will be happy.

Wazzy

Banned
A round of wings, sure. :D

I don't know if Barney Stone has wings but it's pretty good for watching the Canucks games.

The 6th should work for me, though my friends may plan something (we do something around that time for one of their birthdays).

I definitely agree on the "activity" thing. It's not hard to meet a bunch of people for a drink, a hike, a movie, etc. It's hard to sustain that though unless you share common interests.

You can also blame the high housing prices somewhat. It's hard to hangout at someone's place if they live in a 500 square feet shoebox. Late-night transit also isn't very reliable.

Ok people what is the general consensus here for the 6th?

We want as many people coming out as possible, as far as common interest...

Well, I can be social, I can keep a conversation going with you people, I'm shy but not that shy, we're all GAFers, so I am guessing we are quite the bright ladies and the gentlemen here and a well rounded bunch, right? At least we can talk about pop culture, music, movies, games, even Vancouver etc. (Talk about GAF) So what's there to be shy "afraid" of?

Well the theme of the night is Hockey and the Canucks. I'll be the first to admit, I'm not much of a hockey guy, but I can definitely sit through and enjoy three periods of hockey, don't expect me to know who's who on the ice but...I'm still going to enjoy the game.

Hopefully everyone will too, I hope to not see people hiding in the corner playing with their smartphones, 3Ds's Vitas etc. you can play with your phones, as long as it's also with people around you.

As far as budget, this may be a bit tricky, we are planning to have a beer and eat something at a Sports bar, you don't need to eat or even have a beer if you don't want to, but it would be nice to at least get a pop or something...So lets make the budget $5-$30 kind of deal per person, whatever can you afford.

Age demographic, here's another tricky bit, I am in my early thirties, like I mentioned, I hope I'm not going to be the odd, old(er) "creepy" dude hanging out with you 20-22 year olds. how old are you people? Also, not sure even this matters: gender, if there's only like one female Vanc. GAF, she may feel uncomfortable, or not...Here's hoping at least two or more ladies can make it to the meetup.

I donno, as you can see, I am bad at this, but still we got to start somewhere with the planning, please add to this if you have any more/better ideas. let us know if Saturday the 6th of April is good for you guys, if not, we may go with a weekday (A Thursday maybe)

Feel free to bring one or two guests along with you.

EDIT: Maybe we can look into a group discount at some bar on the food or the drinks etc? Like my workplace has 10% off coupons to local restaurants at lunch, I am sure we can do something similar to a bar, presenting ourselves as a a group (organization) maybe 10%off a bill ain't much, still something.

I'm the new guy in town, I was a 905er from Toronto before I came here, I stick out in Vancouver like a sore thumb... I know Yoga like Christy Clark knows how to earn fair votes!
Haven't seen it for this while, but you could always spot someone from Toronto in our fair city when they go to cross a busy street, and stick their arm out in front of them as they walk, like it's some kind of special nazi magic wand that prevents them from harm.

Also, any place in town actually sell those mythical bags of milk? I had a friend stay from England and he was choked he never saw one (I never see them either).

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Haven't seen it for this while, but you could always spot someone from Toronto in our fair city when they go to cross a busy street, and stick their arm out in front of them as they walk, like it's some kind of special nazi magic wand that prevents them from harm.

Also, any place in town actually sell those mythical bags of milk? I had a friend stay from England and he was choked he never saw one (I never see them either).

I've never seen bagged Milk anywhere in my 4 years here. AFAIK that's more of an Eastern Canada thing.

The only time I ever saw bagged milk in my entire life was about 15 years ago on Vancouver Island when I was a child visiting family.

Not since that day have I seen bagged milk anywhere, including there.

BIVJwLL.jpg
I took this photo, when I visited Wal-Mart first time in Vancouver...

My first reaction was "What is this shit?"

How can you guys call yourselves "Canadians"

This is a disgrace to our country!

"Backwoods"?? really?

What's more environmentally friendly, a thick, big ass plastic jug or a nylon bag that you could squish into a tiny ball and easily recycle?

Thought you Vancouverites suppose to be all "green" and hang people you catch littering by the balls and shit.

"Backwoods"?? really?

What's more environmentally friendly, a thick, big ass plastic jug or a nylon bag that you could squish into a tiny ball and easily recycle?

Thought you Vancouverites suppose to be all "green" and hang people you catch littering by the balls and shit.
Plastic milk jugs are recycled and turned into environmentally friendly children's toys that are often found in women's shelters.

You monster.

I'm repping Surrey, yo. I'm from the wastelands.
One of my daughters moved into Morgan Crossing (or maybe it was Morgan Heights?) and man, Surrey (at least that part) is looking nice! I'd consider moving there just for the neighborhood (reminded me of an upscale Ambleside, or Whistler) but the commute would kill me.

Smiley90

One of my daughters moved into Morgan Crossing (or maybe it was Morgan Heights?) and man, Surrey (at least that part) is looking nice! I'd consider moving there just for the neighborhood (reminded me of an upscale Ambleside, or Whistler) but the commute would kill me.

To quote a friend of mine who's lived in Surrey for all 22 years of her live:

"Surrey isn't that bad man, we only got robbed 4 times! And I was only home and had to pretend to be sleeping for two of those robberies!"

To quote a friend of mine who's lived in Surrey for all 22 years of her live:

"Surrey isn't that bad man, we only got robbed 4 times! And I was only home and had to pretend to be sleeping for two of those robberies!"

Back when the move Love Story was out, it was fun to say 'Living in Vancouver means never having to say you're Surrey...'.

I'm down for meet up.

Johnny, did you ever hit up the TO ones?

No, unfortunately not, I was way up in Richmond Hill (Major Mac.) when I was in To, so I didn't bother, I didn't want to cramp the style of 416 GAF :p

Ironically my cell number here in Vancouver is still my 416 number, I got a good plan and it's free across Canada, didn't bother changing.

Smiley90

Back when the move Love Story was out, it was fun to say 'Living in Vancouver means never having to say you're Surrey...'.

I thought it was hilarious because I just started making fun of Surrey as being "unsafe" and she came out saying that. Made a great point LOL. But yeah, Surrey, not even once.

If you have to say "it's not THAT bad" about a neighborhood you know it's bad.

Firestorm

I'll try to make the 6th. Will need to try to pack in advance. I like watching playoffs hockey but don't follow the sport 100% but it'll be a good time watching and chatting.
"Backwoods"?? really?

Everyone has their limit. Ours is that abomination you call a milk container.

Cocaine

Banned
I'm going to be that guy and say fuck watching a hockey game. Let's enjoy each others company instead of looking up at a TV all evening. Just saying.

I will try to make the 6th but I'll have to drop a shift for it which can be difficult. And I'm not allowed in Steamworks so lets not go there please : )

I worked there for a very long time underneath a manager who never liked me for some reason and when he decided to up and fire me for no reason a year ago he also told me to not come back. I personally don't give a shit what he says but if I end up there he's getting clocked in the face, so it'd be best not to go there. Also the beer isn't cheap.

Oh right, and I sued the owner for a couple thousand so he probably wouldn't be too stoked on seeing me either.

beat

There totally used to be bagged milk in Vancouver when I was a kid. (I'm in my mid-30s now.) At some point they stopped selling it that way, at least in Vancouver.

Cheerilee

Well, I can be social, I can keep a conversation going with you people, I'm shy but not that shy, we're all GAFers, so I am guessing we are quite the bright ladies and the gentlemen here and a well rounded bunch, right? At least we can talk about pop culture, music, movies, games, even Vancouver etc. (Talk about GAF) So what's there to be shy "afraid" of?
I was taught never to get personal with the Internet. An IRL meetup would mean breaking a rule which I've followed for a very long time. I'm really not sure if I can do it.

I've met Crazymoogle once though. I didn't know it was him.

The only time I ever saw bagged milk in my entire life was about 15 years ago on Vancouver Island when I was a child visiting family.
Bagged Milk pulled out of the Vancouver area around that time. It saddens me.

For those who don't know, the bottom-right shelf in each door has rollers that run backwards into the unit. You're supposed to pull out the empty milk crates (full crates fall into their place), put the empties in that lower shelf, and give them a shove. They crash into a pile in back, and the elves who live in the dairy cooler have to clean them up. It's easier for them than coming into the front of the store and being exposed as elves. So next time you're at the store and they have one of these roller units, push some milk crates. The elves will swear at you (they're thanking you in elvish-language).

Smiley90

I was taught never to get personal with the Internet. An IRL meetup would mean breaking a rule which I've followed for a very long time. I'm really not sure if I can do it.

I've met Crazymoogle once though. I didn't know it was him.

Bagged Milk pulled out of the Vancouver area around that time. It saddens me.

For those who don't know, the bottom-right shelf in each door has rollers that run backwards into the unit. You're supposed to pull out the empty milk crates (full crates fall into their place), put them in that lower shelf, and give them a shove. They crash into a pile in back, and the elves who live in the dairy cooler have to clean them up. It's easier for them than coming into the front of the store and being exposed as elves. So next time you're at the store and they have one of these roller units, push some milk crates. The elves will swear at you (they're thanking you in elvish-language).

bullllshiiiiiiiit.

I was once part of an web browser space RTS community (NO SHAME) of about 6'000 people. We'd talk online all the time, then one day there started to be a camping weekend every year. First I was like "lol a camping weekend full with nerdy guys and geeks, that's so lame", but I actually liked those people and went out of country to go. Was one of the most fun weekends I ever had. Tons of people my age, like me, some more awkward, some less. A 24/7 grill with meat on it. Stories that were told for years to come. It was awesome.

There's no stigma about the internet anymore.

Cheerilee

bullllshiiiiiiiit.

I was once part of an web browser space RTS community (NO SHAME) of about 6'000 people. We'd talk online all the time, then one day there started to be a camping weekend every year. First I was like "lol a camping weekend full with nerdy guys and geeks, that's so lame", but I actually liked those people and went out of country to go. Was one of the most fun weekends I ever had. Tons of people my age, like me, some more awkward, some less. A 24/7 grill with meat on it. Stories that were told for years to come. It was awesome.

There's no stigma about the internet anymore.

Logically, I know. It's just a big change.

Social media makes me shudder.

I'm going to be that guy and say fuck watching a hockey game. Let's enjoy each others company instead of looking up at a TV all evening. Just saying.
I see where you are coming from, but you are kind of missing the point, I know I didn't explain this before, so my bad, but in my honest opinion: The game is an excuse for us (let's face it: buncha strangers) to get together and get to know each other, without being in awkward silent sitiation. Seems like some of you already know each other, for those who don't, by all means I don't encourage that you ignore people around you and glue your attention to the TVs and the game, no, not all, we can sit down, get to know each other, talk face to face: but it's kinda nice to have the game going in the background to put us in a familiar atmosphere. Personally I think it's less awkward than say, sitting in a dark basement bar with black lights and listening to newave, or elevator music at a sushi bar or something.
I'm not trying to enforce a certain taste or atmosphere for a night life for all, I'm just trying to find a neutral and common place we can hang out, be somewhat distracted (socially mind you, and not just individually) and yet still have the time to sit have conversations, face to face.
Even a place like Lamplighter, some place that they play decent music, I'm all for it, the hockey game isn't important. But whatever.

Top Bottom