• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

Glad you liked it! Did you check out the place nextdoors? :p
"The Junction" ??? I didn't know it was right next door until after I finished eating and went out and headed West.

Haha! Let's just say it was very entertaining to watch the passers by, while I was enjoying my Phò.

Vancouver's village scene could almost give Toronto's village a run for its money. Also people like clubbing in this town, more than TO it seems, the night life here is pretty lively.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
"The Junction" ??? I didn't know it was right next door until after I finished eating and went out and headed West.

Haha! Let's just say it was very entertaining to watch the passers by, while I was enjoying my Phò.

Vancouver's village scene could almost give Toronto's village a run for its money. Also people like clubbing in this town, more than TO it seems, the night life here is pretty lively.

No... the "cottonmouth smoke shop", or is that place gone?!?!? there was a Bong&Dildo store nextdoors to that Pho place for the longest time :lol

and eh, the night live is alright, until everyone goes to bed at 2/3am.

Smiley90

Ahh yeah, well I did notice a Hookah store next door, not sure if there were also bongs. It wasn't so much of a store than a storage place it seemed.

haha yeah :p Well, glad you liked it! Feel free to ask for any other culinary tips.

Just a general must-go recommendation:

Miura Waffle Milk Bar

It's Waffle Sandwiches, Sweet or Savory. You HAVE to try it. Trust me. It's amazing. Probably one of my, if not THE favourite place to eat in the city.

^ I'm gonna try the Miura Waffles tongith probbaly.

What else is there going on tonight? I need to get out there do something in Downtown.

Maaan, it sucks the two friends I have out in Burnaby are busy working on Saturday nights, my roomie is a bit of an introvert, and never goes out, kinda sucks being alone on the weekend in this great city... Need to plan weekends with my coworkers or something!

Smiley90

What else is there going on tonight? I need to get out there do something in Downtown.

Maaan, it sucks the two friends I have out in Burnaby are busy working on Saturday nights, my roomie is a bit of an introvert, and never goes out, kinda sucks being alone on the weekend in this great city... Need to plan weekends with my coworkers or something!

There's a hockey game, so you're bound to see hockey on in every pub or bar. If that's your thing. If not.... better get used to it! :p This city breathes hockey.

I'd be down for a Vancouver-GAF Pub meetup at some point.

There's a hockey game, so you're bound to see hockey on in every pub or bar. If that's your thing. If not.... better get used to it! :p This city breathes hockey.

I'd be down for a Vancouver-GAF Pub meetup at some point.

Let's do it! Van-GAF! it'll be nice to see a Canucks game, but I don't really have the kind of funds to scalp a ticket (or two).

Smiley90

Let's do it! Van-GAF! it'll be nice to see a Canucks game, but I don't really have the kind of funds to scalp a ticket (or two).

Nobody really those, the people at the game are sadly mostly those enough well-off to afford it and not really loud. Atmosphere in bars/pubs is always good though ;)

See this is the thing I don't get about this city, it has a such a nice metropolitan downtown, everything is within reach, two amazing sports stadiums/arenas but only one lousy NHL (Hockey) team, where's the MLB? what happened to the Grizzlies?

This city needs to step up with more major league sports, Canucks is a cult, because there's no other sports team to worship really.

What I loved about TO, is if you couldn't afford a Leafs ticket, you could always catch a Jays game for like 15 bucks, or Nosebleed Raptors game for 20 bucks, (Sneak into lower row seats at halftime) Even the Toronto Rock lacrosse or (even the Marlies Hockey) is fun to watch, and Toronto FC Soccer matches were amazing to watch until they just started to suck bad the past few years and the fan base dropped drastically. Does Vancouver have a lacrosse team? It's never a problem to catch some sort of a sporting event in Toronto.

I'm not much of a Football fan, but are BC Lions at least any good and exciting during CFL season what about MLS?

Smiley90

See this is the thing I don't get about this city, it has a such a nice metropolitan downtown, everything is within reach, two amazing sports stadiums/arenas but only one lousy NHL (Hockey) team, where's the MLB? what happened to the Grizzlies?

This city needs to step up with more major league sports, Canucks is a cult, because there's no other sports team to worship really.

What I loved about TO, is if you couldn't afford a Leafs ticket, you could always catch a Jays game for like 15 bucks, or Nosebleed Raptors game for 20 bucks, (Sneak into lower row seats at halftime) Even the Toronto Rock lacrosse or (even the Marlies Hockey) is fun to watch (I've been a few times) Does Vancouver have a lacrosse team? It's never a problem to catch some sort of a sporting event in Toronto.

I'm not much of a Football fan, but are BC Lions at least any good and exciting during CFL season?

That attitude is what gets you kicked out of bars! :p LOUSY?!?

Also, nobody cares about baseball. It's a no-sport. :p (there IS a baseball team though). The Whitecaps are an MLS team, they're really popular and good. There's also the BC Lions for Canadian Football. They won the CFL 2 years ago if I'm not completely mistaken. So yes, they're good. :p If you don't like the Canucks for ticket prices, there's the Giants (for WHL) or Abbotsford Heat (AHL).

lethial

Reeeeeeee

What I loved about TO, is if you couldn't afford a Leafs ticket, you could always catch a Jays game for like 15 bucks, or Nosebleed Raptors game for 20 bucks, (Sneak into lower row seats at halftime) Even the Toronto Rock lacrosse or (even the Marlies Hockey) is fun to watch (I've been a few times) Does Vancouver have a lacrosse team? It's never a problem to catch some sort of a sporting event in Toronto.

I'm not much of a Football fan, but are BC Lions at least any good and exciting during CFL season?

Won't be another NHL team here. I don't know too many people who care about baseball, plus there's the Mariners in Seattle. Yah Lions are alright and people get their NFL fix with the Seahawks. Grizzlies? Haha, nice try. They sucked and everyone hated them in the 90s. Fucking Big Country.

Cheerilee

For baseball, it's the minor league Vancouver Canadians playing in Nat Baliey Stadium, right next to Queen Elizabeth Park. You can definitely spend a very nice sunny day with that.

Percy Norman ice rink and swimming pool are right around there too. And I think some new Olympic facility. Probably curling or something.

Grizzlies? Haha, nice try. They sucked and everyone hated them in the 90s. Fucking Big Country.
More like Sleep Country, amirite?

beat

The Grizzlies were screwed because in the previous round of expansion, the new teams got too generous terms, which is how Orlando drafted Shaq and Penny back to back. So the Grizzlies and Raptors got stuck with low picks for years. Also, Stu Jackson is a terrible choice for GM. And Griffith was an okay owner (I think) but buying the NBA expansion just overstretched his finances, so when the going got rough, he had to sell.

And he sold to a guy who transparently was going to move the team and David Stern let it happen because a little team movement is great when the other owners need to blackmail their own cities.

kinger256

Won't be another NHL team here. I don't know too many people who care about baseball, plus there's the Mariners in Seattle. Yah Lions are alright and people get their NFL fix with the Seahawks. Grizzlies? Haha, nice try. They sucked and everyone hated them in the 90s. Fucking Big Country.

Grizzlies had solid attendance figures when you factor in how many times they've gotten screwed in the draft. In fact Stern said that mishandling the situation in Vancouver was one of his biggest regrets as a commissioner.

Smiley90

So, how'd you like Miura? :D

Also, How to piss off a Vancouverite

So, how'd you like Miura? :D

Also, How to piss off a Vancouverite
Hey Smiley, I didn't end up going to Miura that night. Haven't gone yet, but will let you know for sure. That list is pretty damn funny and useful. I admit I'm guilty of some of those. (Calling everyone here hipsters, bitching about the rain, Canuck fans etc.) I was out on St. George St. On the weekend for the St. Patties parade, wasn't too shabby. I'd definitely be up for a Vancouver GAF meet up, has there ever been one before? The Torontonians seem to do it all the time.

Headed up in a couple weeks with my wife for Stars at the Commodore, buying bottles of Cantillon, drinking at the Alibi Room and dinner at Bin 941. Cannot wait.

There hasn't been a meetup because everytime we try to organize one the thread dies because people are too afraid or something.

And you guys said the freeze doesn't exist. ;-)

Yeah what is the freeze?

I think there's no meet up because Bish doesn't want to reveal his true identity... :p

Like I care...

Anyway, I'm not afraid to meet you guys, there's nothing to be afraid of, or be embarrassed about, I donno what the age demographic here is for the majority, but I am a dude in my early thirties, a little out of shape (moving here was an excuse for me to lose a few pounds) still working on that while I eat all the Chinese food and the street pizza everyday...

Anyway, if you're all early 20 something hipsters with skinny jeans and beards and plaid shirts and take very reluctant sips of your Starbucks coffee, then you can forget about the meet up, I don't want anything to do with you guys!

...Haha! I am jokign, relax!

Let's plan a meetup at a Sushi joint or Lamplighter or Steamworks or...(insert suggestion here) ...and Bishptol you have to attend or... bust!

Smiley90

Yeah what is the freeze?

I think there's no meet up because Bish doesn't want to reveal his true identity... :p

Like I care...

Anyway, I'm not afraid to meet you guys, there's nothing to be afraid of, or be embarrassed about, I donno what the age demographic here is for the majority, but I am a dude in my early thirties, a little out of shape (moving here was an excuse for me to lose a few pounds) still working on that while I eat all the Chinese food and the street pizza everyday...

Anyway, if you're all early 20 something hipsters with skinny jeans and beards and plaid shirts and take very reluctant sips of your Starbucks coffee, then you can forget about the meet up, I don't want anything to do with you guys!

...Haha! I am jokign, relax!

Let's plan a meetup at a Sushi joint or Lamplighter or Steamworks or...(insert suggestion here) ...and Bishptol you have to attend or... bust!

If Bish is coming we all have to go, that's a given.

We should do it anyway though. If only to see how long it will take us to actually plan and to see who shows up, to ONCE AND FOR ALL TIME prove that we're the no-fun city.

You guys all know it's true, we're bad with strangers.

Wazzy

Banned
Not sure why anyone would be too scared. I just met a gaffer on Saturday when I needed to sell a Canucks ticket.

Also quick club question: anyone been to the new Celebs? If so, is it better? My friends having his birthday party there this week and we haven't seen how the new place is yet.

Big-E

That attitude is what gets you kicked out of bars! :p LOUSY?!?

Also, nobody cares about baseball. It's a no-sport. :p (there IS a baseball team though). The Whitecaps are an MLS team, they're really popular and good. There's also the BC Lions for Canadian Football. They won the CFL 2 years ago if I'm not completely mistaken. So yes, they're good. :p If you don't like the Canucks for ticket prices, there's the Giants (for WHL) or Abbotsford Heat (AHL).

To say that nobody cares about baseball is stupid. The GVRD is our nations hotbed for baseball and we have produced some great players.

I'm the new guy in town, I was a 905er from Toronto before I came here, I stick out in Vancouver like a sore thumb... I know Yoga like Christy Clark knows how to earn fair votes!

But let's at least try to plan a GAF meet up, never mind following through with it.

Smiley90

To say that nobody cares about baseball is stupid. The GVRD is our nations hotbed for baseball and we have produced some great players.

I was kidding, I just personally can't do anything with Baseball. It's way too boring to watch for me.

I'm the new guy in town, I was a 905er from Toronto before I came here, I stick out in Vancouver like a sore thumb... I know Yoga like Christy Clark knows how to earn fair votes!

But let's at least try to plan a GAF meet up, never mind following through with it.

I've only lived here for 4 years too :lol, the outsiders clearly have to take initiative here.

I've only lived here for 4 years too :lol, the outsiders clearly have to take initiative here.

Four years is still quite some time, where did you live before that?

My suggestion for a meet up would be watching a Canucks game on the big screen at a nice sports bar, eh? wings and beer maybe? How's everyone's budget? etc.

Firestorm

I've already met up with bish, Crazymoogle (when he was here), JWong, and then on a separate occasion ran into Lone_Prodigy.
What's the freeze?

Replace all instances of "Seattle" with "Vancouver" and it's still true. Same goes for Portland from what I understand.

http://seattletimes.com/pacificnw/2005/0213/cover.html

Vancouver peeps seem to like meeting new people while sharing the same kind of activities. For example, rock climbing, yoga, snowboarding... etc kind of stuff. Sometimes it feels like if you don't share some kind of common interest, then people here are not interested in getting to know you. I also fall into this trap occasionally so I can understand the mentality.

Definitely start signing up to do some activities here. It's the easiest way to make new friends.
This was from earlier in the thread. It's very, very true.

Smiley90

Four years is still quite some time, where did you live before that?

My suggestion for a meet up would be watching a Canucks game on the big screen at a nice sports bar, eh? wings and beer maybe? How's everyone's budget? etc.

Yeah I'm alright with any budget, but I can bend.

4 years has been quite a while yes, and because I was both Tourist AND local I actually know quite a few places ;) Hence all my restaurant suggestions :D

I moved here from Europe, from a country that's even colder in terms of talking to strangers, so Vancouver doesn't feel as "weird" to me as if I moved from e.g. south america.

That quote is most definitely true.

I've met SpectreFire before.

MutFox

Banned
Loose Moose has cheap beer and has lots of TV's for a Canucks game.
Though it fills up pretty fast, we'd have to be there like 2 hours before the game...

I need someone to come over and help me get the coop trophy in chime super deluxe. I am willing to supply pizza and/or the condiments of your choosing. But yeah now that im in Vancouver central im down for that meet up

Well now that It's going to be almost a month since I moved here, yes I am noticing how this is true, and if I don't get socially active with some sort of a gym or a yoga class, it may get pretty boring for me after work hours during the week. The problem is, I am over thirty years old and kind of set my ways, It takes a bit of effort for me to start new activities in my life. I do love cycling and even some jogging, which I used to do a lot in TO. But work has been hectic here so far, and the rain hasn't really encouraged me to go out and run the Seawall.

I even went on two dates since being here and they kind of sucked, I really felt like a tourist trying to date locals who mostly talked about their yoga classes, recommended me which yoga places to join etc. etc. The Snob attitude with the ladies is as true as the constant rain in this place.

Smiley90

Well now that It's going to be almost a month since I moved here, yes I am noticing how this is true, and if I don't get socially active with some sort of a gym or a yoga class, it may get pretty boring for me after work hours during the week. The problem is, I am over thirty years old and kind of set my ways, It takes a bit of effort for me to start new activities in my life. I do love cycling and even some jogging, which I used to do a lot in TO. But work has been hectic here so far, and the rain hasn't really encouraged me to go out and run the Seawall.

I even went on two dates since being here and they kind of sucked, I really felt like a tourist trying to date locals who mostly talked about their yoga classes, recommended me which yoga places to join etc. etc. The Snob attitude with the ladies is as true as the constant rain in this place.

ahahahahaha that's hilarious. You just got unlucky there, don't worry, there's tons of regular girls who aren't as snobbish here too.

One of the things you really notice compared to other places though, I think, is how PRETTY most people in Vancouver are. It's really weird. I won't complain, though.

Wazzy

Banned

Hey, don't judge us all just because a couple dates went sour. You just met two snobby girls, bad luck.

Top Bottom