• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

Akim

Banned
Any Seattle Sounders fans in Vancouver? Sounder North is meeting up to watch the game today at Doolins, 630pm.

Hey guys

Sorry, my posts are too far in between, ok..so I finally moved into my permanent place today, I was chillin at a coworkers place my first week until the first of the month (today actually).

I am right in the heart of downtown, I like the building, and i'm 90% certain my roomate is a GAFer, we will soon find out. If he's not, I think I will keep him away from GAF, he is a recently graduated game dev, he loves his vdya games, more specifically, Bioware ME series DA series etc. Dude is definitely on GAF. It's gonna be a little awkward when one of us catches the other GAFing in their room o_O

So last night was a total cop out, after asking many question and getting all those great recommendations, I didn't even bother going out. I had to pack for the move this morning, by the time I finished packing, I was too tired to bother going out, plus I was quite far from downtown, didn't have the energy to take the bus...Also feared that I would get stuck in downtown when it got too late. Maaaan does this town sleep (close) everything early, even the buses don't run late.... It's a ghost town after 9pm, kind of crazy!

So yeah today I went and did some shopping after moving in, Why is your Costco across the street (almost attached) to your Hockey Arena? I was unintentionally hitting bunch of drunken Canuck fans with my huge ass Costco shopping bags while going up those steps by the Rogers Arena there. (Didn't help wearing a Leafs hat) Let's mix Saturday afternoon family bulk shopping with drunken Hockey fans....Brilliant! Strange town I tell ya! I guess space is really limited in this town.

Anyway, after five days of dark clouds and constant pouring rain in this town...This was literally the expression on my face today, when the sun showed up for 10 minutes.

Glorious.gif

I dropped my Costco bags, got on my knees and prayed to the mighty Sun!!

Maaaan is this town ever expensive!! Even the Costco prices are pretty damn steep, I guess because it's right in the city and you guys are still trying to make up all that lost money from the Olympics!!

Also, I had $12 poutines! Yes a large plate of poutine cost me 12 frikin bucks from that crazy overpriced Montreal meat shop, Quebecois Classic Diner place, and it was nothing special. Never again!

PS: that French (Quebec) Poutine place, Maan waht a rip off! $12

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Hey guys

Sorry, my posts are too far in between, ok..so I finally moved into my permanent place today, I was chillin at a coworkers place my first week until the first of the month (today actually).

I am right in the heart of downtown, I like the building, and i'm 90% certain my roomate is a GAFer, we will soon find out. If he's not, I think I will keep him away from GAF, he is a recently graduated game dev, he loves his vdya games, more specifically, Bioware ME series DA series etc. Dude is definitely on GAF. It's gonna be a little awkward when one of us catches the other GAFing in their room o_O

So last night was a total cop out, after asking many question and getting all those great recommendations, I didn't even bother going out. I had to pack for the move this morning, by the time I finished packing, I was too tired to bother going out, plus I was quite far from downtown, didn't have the energy to take the bus...Also feared that I would get stuck in downtown when it got too late. Maaaan does this town sleep (close) everything early, even the buses don't run late.... It's a ghost town after 9pm, kind of crazy!

So yeah today I went and did some shopping after moving in, Why is your Costco across the street (almost attached) to your Hockey Arena? I was unintentionally hitting bunch of drunken Canuck fans with my huge ass Costco shopping bags while going up those steps by the Rogers Arena there. (Didn't help wearing a Leafs hat) Let's mix Saturday afternoon family bulk shopping with drunken Hockey fans....Brilliant! Strange town I tell ya! I guess space is really limited in this town.

Anyway, after five days of dark clouds and constant pouring rain in this town...This was literally the expression on my face today, when the sun showed up for 10 minutes.

Glorious.gif

Maaaan is this town ever expensive!! Even the Costco prices are pretty damn steep, I guess because it's right in the city and you guys are still trying to make up all that lost money from the Olympics!!

Also, I had $12 poutines! Yes a large plate of poutine cost me 12 frikin bucks from that crazy overpriced Montreal meat shop, Quebecois Classic Diner place, and it was nothing special. Never again!

I'm not sure why you'd pay that much for Poutine... (http://www.smokespoutinerie.com/Menu.aspx)

It really isn`t worth it to shop anywhere downtown. There are exceptions but if you are on a budget, it`s much better to do heavy shopping (costco lol) in the states or online

Cocaine

Banned
Hey guys

Glorious.gif

Take 'er easy. You'll find a good poutine. Brado's on Commercial for example. Goes for 6 or 7.

Firestorm

It was about 11 bucks and change to be honest I tipped and it got to 12 and change, either way 11 bucks Poutine is ridiculous! We have "Smokes' in Toronto too, cool!
Yeah Smokes just opened up here. Haven't been to a Vancouver location yet though. Fritz is another late night local favourite: http://www.fritzeuropeanfryhouse.com/poutine.html

Now I haven't been to this spot, but I was told by someone from Montreal that it's the most authentic Montreal poutine in town: http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/14/1494934/restaurant/Robson-Street-West-End/La-Belle-Patate-Vancouver

GAF. Vancouver GAF specifically, thanks so much for kinda being there for me this last few days, as I try to soak in (literally and figuratively) your crazy city. Like I said it is my first time here, and I'm gonna be here for at least another six months. I've never moved into a new city on my own before. Lived in TO the last 20 years of my life. But yeah ...it should be alright here, I kinda feel blessed that I have a job and some pocket change and I can afford a roof over my head for now. That's a lot to be thankful for, especially in this awesome town.

Anyway, thanks for all your suggestions, it's trial and error for me my first two weeks, but I need to smarten up about how and where I spend my money. Like it's been mentioned already; this town ain't cheap!

I have no idea what is the name of the building I live in, but it's this one on Seymour and Pender. Right across from Harbour Front Center.

IYXEucEl.jpg

I think it's part of the Delta Hotel, I have no idea what's going on...all I know is that there are always 19-20 year old, really pretentious kids with me in the elevator. They got thier scarfs, aviators, and Bieber like baseball caps on with skinny jeans, as theyvwait for their floor. I live in a building that doubles as Rich kids camp or something. Anyway..hope I get used to the city more. My roommate didn't know about GAF. I never told him about it. Just hinted at the forum, if he frequented a Video Game forum. He mentioned quite a few (the obvious ones; GameFaqs, Joystick, Kotaku) but not GAF, and then things got even more awkward as he expected me to tell him about GAF and I just changed the subject instead, and never mentioned the name. Lol!

Anyhoo /drunken rant.

That building has always attracted students and young with money enough to live downtown. It also has a pretty big pool if I remember correctly.

Today was pretty spectacular weather wise. Tomorrow should be the same.

BTW, go to London Drugs for some of your shopping. Prices are set BC and country wide. IGA on Robson/Richards has decent grocery prices and good sales. It is also decently close to you.

Malones and the St Regis are close to you. I haven't been to Malones in a while but St Regis is a great little bar.

Hope you enjoy your time here!

beat

BTW, go to London Drugs for some of your shopping. Prices are set BC and country wide. IGA on Robson/Richards has decent grocery prices and good sales. It is also decently close to you.
Heh, I think of IGA as expensive compared to T&T or esp the Chinatown groceries. And if you're willing to travel a bit out of downtown, Price Smart or Save-On aren't bad. There's a Save-On around Cambie and 6th.

Smiley90

Heh, I think of IGA as expensive compared to T&T or esp the Chinatown groceries. And if you're willing to travel a bit out of downtown, Price Smart or Save-On aren't bad. There's a Save-On around Cambie and 6th.

IGA is expensive yeah, Save-on and Safeway are both much better...

The weather sure is nice for a change

Tiktaalik

You're not supposed to eat poutine in Vancouver you're supposed to be healthy and do yoga and run on the sea wall and stuff. (only half joking)

That building has always attracted students and young with money enough to live downtown. It also has a pretty big pool if I remember correctly.

Today was pretty spectacular weather wise. Tomorrow should be the same.

Malones and the St Regis are closeto you. I haven't been to Malones in a while but St Regis is a great little bar.

Hope you enjoy your time here!

Some great recommendations, thanks. Yeah, I asked my roommate last night about the "younger residence" in the building, he said there are quite a few schools near by, that explains it I guess, I just didn't think students take residence in fancy buildings downtown. It does have a nice pool, I'm trying I get my rents worth by utalizing all the amneties, (Gym, sauna, pool etc.) haven't got around it yet. Also since moving from a town (GTA) with cheaper cost of living to Vancouver. I've always been looking for franchise stores that have fixed prices throughout the country. That's a big thing to look out for in this town. So yeah, thanks for the recommendations. I finally checked out Yaletown and Grandvile (strip) last night. Lots going on there.

Le-mo

I'm heading to Vancouver on the 27th of this month until the 28th. I will be taking the Amtrak train from Seattle and will be dropped off at 1150 Station Street Pacific Central Station. Since my friends and I (about 4) are staying over for a night what hotel do you guys recommend? Presumably one large room for us to share. We also want to rent a car for two days so what's the cheapest one available? And of course recommendations for places to eat and places to see are much appreciated.

Smiley90

I'm heading to Vancouver on the 27th of this month until the 28th. I will be taking the Amtrak train from Seattle and will be dropped off at 1150 Station Street Pacific Central Station. Since my friends and I (about 4) are staying over for a night what hotel do you guys recommend? Presumably one large room for us to share. We also want to rent a car for two days so what's the cheapest one available? And of course recommendations for places to eat and places to see are much appreciated.

HI Hostel? Has large rooms and is comparatively cheap, for vancouver.

Smiley90

I just checked the rates and a 4bed one room is $124. That's fairly cheap. I'll go with that option most likely. Know any good places for car rental?

Sadly, I know nothing about rental cars, but I see both enterprise and budget cars (those are company names, not "quality" judgements given by me, the companies are called "enterprise" and "budget") around quite often... But I can't say anything about the quality/prices, sorry.

Le-mo

Sadly, I know nothing about rental cars, but I see both enterprise and budget cars (those are company names, not "quality" judgements given by me, the companies are called "enterprise" and "budget") around quite often... But I can't say anything about the quality/prices, sorry.

Ah, thanks for the help so far. I'll do some more googling.

Smiley90

Vancouver's transit system is pretty good. Skytrain and buses can pretty much get you anywhere, assuming you stay on the main roads.

www.translink.ca

On that note, I've noticed the 135 now has the compass swipe stations on it! At least some of them! I'm kinda confused why they have them at the exit though, do you swipe as you get on AND off? and then pay for the trip like that?

Wonder if we'll all get credit-card style upass/compasses now.

Firestorm

What are you planning to do? If it's just one day and you're planning to stay downtown and maybe Lonsdale Quay / Granville Island, I wouldn't call a car more convenient...

If you want a good deal on a hotel, try Priceline.

Result from earlier in the thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37900396&postcount=505

On that note, I've noticed the 135 now has the compass swipe stations on it! At least some of them! I'm kinda confused why they have them at the exit though, do you swipe as you get on AND off? and then pay for the trip like that?

Wonder if we'll all get credit-card style upass/compasses now.
Might be a swipe to get in / out system to track zones. Might also be because the 135 loads at all doors at SFU. God I hope they don't make people swipe to get on those two first stops. That'd be terrible.

Big-E

I don't mind taking the transit but a car is much more convenient. I'm looking into Budget's rates and it looks doable.

Do you want to spend most of your one day finding parking or paying through the noes for parking? Car does not make sense at all, especially if you are staying in the core.

Smiley90

What are you planning to do? If it's just one day and you're planning to stay downtown and maybe Lonsdale Quay / Granville Island, I wouldn't call a car more convenient...

Result from earlier in the thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37900396&postcount=505

Might be a swipe to get in / out system to track zones. Might also be because the 135 loads at all doors at SFU. God I hope they don't make people swipe to get on those two first stops. That'd be terrible.

The 135 actually started only loading at the front. It sucks. At least some bus drivers are decent enough to open all doors when it's busy, but many don't. Transit police was there a couple months ago several times, telling bus drivers to stop doing it, because the 135 is a two-zone bus or some stuff. I don't get it either, because 95% of the people have a upass anyway.

Bruiserk

Oh god, is that what those black pads are? Is this going to replace my Upass or something?

Smiley90

Oh god, is that what those black pads are? Is this going to replace my Upass or something?

They're actually blue... and say "compass" on them. They SHOULD replace your upass, since all paper becomes electronic, but I haven't seen or heard anything about HOW exactly they're gonna replace them, especially after just installing all those fancy new upass machines :lol

Bruiserk

They're actually blue... and say "compass" on them. They SHOULD replace your upass, since all paper becomes electronic, but I haven't seen or heard anything about HOW exactly they're gonna replace them, especially after just installing all those fancy new upass machines :lol

Maybe I am thinking of something else. I've never been on the 135, I take the 145. There are black pads on some bus now beside the door.

Basically, you get a debit card. You can "charge" the debit card at kiosks to either add a cash balance, or to add something temporary (daily pass, monthly pass, etc) You tap the card on the pad to subtract value or otherwise check your card. It's pretty similar to Montreal's OPUS system but Vancouver uses zones, hence the need for a cash balance instead of "# of uses".

The twist is that it also works identically to Singapore's MRT system. With trains you tap on the way in and the way out at the terminal. With buses it's up to you to tap on entrance and exit. If you forget to tap on exit, you eventually "time out" and get charged a 3-zone fare.

The other quirks I see are:

- You can still buy single passes without the card (same as Montreal)
- You can use NFC credit cards instead of Compass if you want
- You can link your card to your credit card (probably not a great idea)

Le-mo

Do you want to spend most of your one day finding parking or paying through the noes for parking? Car does not make sense at all, especially if you are staying in the core.

We haven't decided on that yet but most likely just sightseeing and eating. I do want to cross the suspension bridge and it's pretty far from where Amtrak will be dropping us so I assumed a car would be more convenient. Are there like a two day pass for the transit?

The 135 actually started only loading at the front. It sucks. At least some bus drivers are decent enough to open all doors when it's busy, but many don't. Transit police was there a couple months ago several times, telling bus drivers to stop doing it, because the 135 is a two-zone bus or some stuff. I don't get it either, because 95% of the people have a upass anyway.

I've seen people exploit the 3-door boarding on the 99 by jumping on the back so I can see why they moved to single-door boarding.

Akim

Banned
I've seen people exploit the 3-door boarding on the 99 by jumping on the back so I can see why they moved to single-door boarding.

you know how long it would take to board everyone on the front on the 99? It would easily add 10-15 minutes to the route.

Hey Vanc GAF. I'm craving Phò for dinner, any good places you could recommend for great Phō? So many Vietnamese restaurants, don't know who to trust.

Please recommend me anywhere in downtown. Chinatown, Gastown, Grandville etc.

Smiley90

Smiley90

The ratings are high, looks good, but it's kinda far from where I am. Maybe I shouldn't have said "anywhere in downtown." hehe. Anyway still going, but a bit later. Thanks.

It's totally close :p Just take the bus :D Anything downtown is within a 30min walking distance anyway, pretty much.

It's totally close :p Just take the bus :D Anything downtown is within a 30min walking distance anyway, pretty much.
Doode!! You should've gave me the heads up and told that this place was right in the Village, I would've wore my tight jeans to accentuate my buttocks. :p

It was good Pho, thanks for the recommendation, also the service was very nice, the dude was very attentive, and quick and surprisingly very polite, which if I have to be honest, is not a common trait with fast food places in this city.

Smiley90

Doode!! You should've gave me the heads up and told that this place was right in the Village, I would've wore my tight jeans to accentuate my buttocks. :p

It was good Pho, thanks for the recommendation, also the service was very nice, the dude was very attentive, and quick and surprisingly very polite, which if I have to be honest, is not a common trait with fast food places in this city.

Glad you liked it! Did you check out the place nextdoors? :p

Top Bottom