• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

Paper Fox

Hello Vancouverians. My partner and I are planning on visiting BC for about a week in June (flying all the way from Australia). I've had a quick look at the thread and have decided to put aside a few days to walk around the city itself, but also have Capilano Bridge and Grouse Mountain lined up. Anything else in particular that is a must-see/do?
I read that the Rocky Mountains aren't too far away, how difficult would it be to get public transportation there?

beat

I read that the Rocky Mountains aren't too far away, how difficult would it be to get public transportation there?

Grouse Mtn and such are practically right outside the city. Whistler and Blackcomb are 2 hours or less by car. (I forget exactly, it's been a very long time since I went.)

But the Rockies are hours away to the east and basically form BC's eastern border. "Public transportation" there means train or (maybe?) long-distance bus. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...Columbia:Getting.To.The.Canadian.Rockies.html The train leaves Vancouver at 8:30 pm and arrives in Jasper at 4 pm the next day according to that page.

About Vancouver itself, there's Granville Island, which is a tourist trap but a nice one all the same. There's also Lonsdale Quay, and you can take Seabus there (public transit ferry, 15 minute trip. The boat's entirely enclosed, though.) And from the Quay, I think you can get to Grouse Mountain. I'm not much for the North Shore myself, but I've seen people haul their snowboard gear on public transit around the city enough that I figure that's probably the case.

Depending when you arrive in June, you might overlap with the Vancouver Jazz Festival, which takes place over 10 or so days, typically end of June so it overlaps with Canada Day on July 1st. (Canada Day is a national holiday; there's the jazz festival, there's fireworks later that night (unrelated to the festival), it's fun.)

I dunno, more and more I don't know what to recommend in Vancouver for visitors.

I'm kind of thinking of meeting up with you guys, what's the age demographic around here? I'm in my early thirties, am I going to be surrounded with buncha you kids?

EDIT: Fuck it! I'll only show up if Bish shows up!

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I forgot about this, but let's get the ball rolling.

Vancouver-GAF Meetup of no one will show up anyway but let's plan it so we can say we tried

Date: Sat. Feb. 8 (Vancouver at Toronto hockey game at 3:00pm)
Time: 3:00pm (duh)

Attendees:
Lone_Prodigy
Smiley90
Firestorm

(Other possible dates if Feb. 8 absolutely does not work)
Sun. Mar. 2 vs Ottawa, 1:00pm (Heritage Classic)
Sat. Mar. 8 vs Calgary, 7:00pm

You're gonna have to do much more advertising in various threads and constant reminders, otherwise this is gonna end up like every.single.other.time and nobody's gonna show up. :p

Vancouver-GAF Meetup of no one will show up anyway but let's plan it so we can say we tried

Date: Sat. Feb. 8 (Vancouver at Toronto hockey game at 3:00pm)
Time: 3:00pm (duh)

Attendees:
Lone_Prodigy
Smiley90
Firestorm
Cocaine
The Last Emperor
beat
NotTheGuyYouKill
TemplaerDude
CCF23

(Other possible dates if Feb. 8 absolutely does not work)
Sun. Mar. 2 vs Ottawa, 1:00pm (Heritage Classic)
Sat. Mar. 8 vs Calgary, 7:00pm

Smiley90

I'm bored, someone text me and we can talk about something. Smiley, send me pics of you in your different Canucks jersey

eATeG.gif

Paper Fox

Grouse Mtn and such are practically right outside the city. Whistler and Blackcomb are 2 hours or less by car. (I forget exactly, it's been a very long time since I went.)

But the Rockies are hours away to the east and basically form BC's eastern border. "Public transportation" there means train or (maybe?) long-distance bus. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...Columbia:Getting.To.The.Canadian.Rockies.html The train leaves Vancouver at 8:30 pm and arrives in Jasper at 4 pm the next day according to that page.

About Vancouver itself, there's Granville Island, which is a tourist trap but a nice one all the same. There's also Lonsdale Quay, and you can take Seabus there (public transit ferry, 15 minute trip. The boat's entirely enclosed, though.) And from the Quay, I think you can get to Grouse Mountain. I'm not much for the North Shore myself, but I've seen people haul their snowboard gear on public transit around the city enough that I figure that's probably the case.

Depending when you arrive in June, you might overlap with the Vancouver Jazz Festival, which takes place over 10 or so days, typically end of June so it overlaps with Canada Day on July 1st. (Canada Day is a national holiday; there's the jazz festival, there's fireworks later that night (unrelated to the festival), it's fun.)

I dunno, more and more I don't know what to recommend in Vancouver for visitors.

Awesome, thanks for the info. Will I have easy access to beavers and/or moose whilst in Vancouver? Will it still be hockey season in June?

Smiley90

18, busty female, living in the heart of Surrey

Inb4 your too scared to continue this beautiful friendship cuz I got cousins with guns

To quote my friend again.

"Surrey isn't that bad, we only had 3 break-ins where I had to pretend to be asleep while they searched my bedroom."

18, busty female, living in the heart of Surrey

Inb4 your too scared to continue this beautiful friendship cuz I got cousins with guns

I now assume you're brown too. Nobody else other than brown people and rednecks will go "I gonna get my cousins all up in here".

Lol I just moved to surrey like 3 weeks ago but panorama ridge doesn't really count as surrey

Whalley is where the dumb shit happens

I can attest to this.

Welcome to my turf, homey.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Whalley's not that bad. Been living in an apartment just on the edge of the neighborhood, and we haven't been broken into once. Of course, cars and our mail boxes have been broken into but you know.

Smiley90

Whalley's not that bad. Been living in an apartment just on the edge of the neighborhood, and we haven't been broken into once. Of course, cars and our mail boxes have been broken into but you know.

of course.

That's totally happened to me in North Van and Burnaby too, you know. Wait, no, it hasn't. :p

Smiley90

Ha ha ha CCF would probably come anyways. I'll let him know, he never posts because he has a job now.

That's why I told you to begin with :lol. I know he doesn't post as much anymore, so I figured you'd be able to tell him.

Don't take everything so personal. I know you're bitter the Patriots lost, but chill out! :p

Wazzy

Banned
I'll probably be coming with a friend who is a lurker.

Has a place been decided on? I need to make sure I know where I'm kicking Smiley's ass at pool.

Smiley90

I'll probably be coming with a friend who is a lurker.

Has a place been decided on? I need to make sure I know where I'm kicking Smiley's ass at pool.

KOoBDaK.gif

I've played like once in the last 3 years, I need to practice a bit again first. fuck. I used to play basically daily for like 4 months after I first moved to Vancouver. :p Came with the pool table being a centerpiece of the language school I went to.

Wazzy

Banned
KOoBDaK.gif

I've played like once in the last 3 years, I need to practice a bit again first. fuck. I used to play basically daily for like 4 months after I first moved to Vancouver. :p Came with the pool table being a centerpiece of the language school I went to.

I best not hear these excuses when you lose.

Top Bottom