• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

Shaanyboi

Banned
Tipping etiquette here?

It's just different than the US as every place has a chip/pin machine and they always seem to ask. If I get a few pizza slices do I tip? If I get an order of food and they ring a bell for me to pick it up, do I tip?

Ill tip at places where I order to-go I guess? What is the preferred method?

Don't tip if you're just being handed something over a counter.

Tip 15-20% for sit-down orders, 10% for delivery, 10% for cabs, 20% for hair stylists

amchardy

Neo Member
So I'm heading back to the UK tomorrow after my very brief visit to Vancouver.

My first impression of the city is that it's really nice! I've been located in Coal Harbour and I've got to experience some great restaurants and enjoyed walking along the seawall and into Stanley park.

Although it shocked me that you really don't have to look hard to experience the seedier side of the city. There's a lot more homeless people than I was expecting!

I decided to take a walk into Gastown and I couldn't believe it when I saw a group of about 5 or 6 people just openly smoking crack on the corner of Cordova and Carrall. I decided to stop heading any further east at that point!

When I went back I also noticed at least 2 people who were definitely tripping on something when I took a walk along Granville. And as I was crossing the street a guy just came up to me completely out of the blue and told me how he had just stolen his entire new wardrobe from a shop around the corner - he was in a full golf outfit, complete with Pringle vest and white golf shoes. $180 worth apparently. He hadn't gotten around to removing any of the tags yet! He was harmless so I just smiled and nodded along.

So that's just my some of my experiences as a first time visitor to Canada and Vancouver.

I'm looking at moving over now in December and starting my new job in January. Just need to find an apartment now!

Firestorm

Yeah there were quite a few cities more east that gave their homeless a one way ticket to Vancouver. It's basically the only city in the country you can survive year-round in...

Cheerilee

Out current mayor got elected on a seven-year plan to end homelessness in Vancouver by 2015.

There are more homeless in Vancouver today than there were when he started.

My first impression of the city is that it's really nice! I've been located in Coal Harbour and I've got to experience some great restaurants and enjoyed walking along the seawall and into Stanley park.

Although it shocked me that you really don't have to look hard to experience the seedier side of the city. There's a lot more homeless people than I was expecting!

I decided to take a walk into Gastown and I couldn't believe it when I saw a group of about 5 or 6 people just openly smoking crack on the corner of Cordova and Carrall. I decided to stop heading any further east at that point!

When I went back I also noticed at least 2 people who were definitely tripping on something when I took a walk along Granville. And as I was crossing the street a guy just came up to me completely out of the blue and told me how he had just stolen his entire new wardrobe from a shop around the corner - he was in a full golf outfit, complete with Pringle vest and white golf shoes. $180 worth apparently. He hadn't gotten around to removing any of the tags yet! He was harmless so I just smiled and nodded along.

So that's just my some of my experiences as a first time visitor to Canada and Vancouver.

I'm looking at moving over now in December and starting my new job in January. Just need to find an apartment now!

Welcome to the city!

One thing that blows my mind is how often I smell pot. I hate the smell. It's the worst and it is all over the city haha.

Just totally different from where I came from.

I do love the city though. People are nice and the place is gorgeous. Can't wait to move to my permanent place later this month.

I did go to a sports bar today to watch the Dallas Stars and some Blue Jays fan called me out for wearing Stars gear. I had to move to the bar next door (owned by the same people) as the first bar was going to switch to all boxing. As I walked out he again said "They already lost?"

My only reply was "Shouldn't you worry about the Blue Jays who are current down 0-2 in their series"

He stopped quipping :p

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag

My my. Quite a few people moving to Vancouver recently according to GAF, eh ? Welcome welcome. Feel free to ask any questions about the region here in this message board. I'm sure people like TurtleSnatcher can attest to our willingness to help new GAFers to town :)

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Welcome to the city!

One thing that blows my mind is how often I smell pot. I hate the smell. It's the worst and it is all over the city haha.

Just totally different from where I came from.

I do love the city though. People are nice and the place is gorgeous. Can't wait to move to my permanent place later this month.

I did go to a sports bar today to watch the Dallas Stars and some Blue Jays fan called me out for wearing Stars gear. I had to move to the bar next door (owned by the same people) as the first bar was going to switch to all boxing. As I walked out he again said "They already lost?"

My only reply was "Shouldn't you worry about the Blue Jays who are current down 0-2 in their series"

He stopped quipping :p

I was worried there for a second that you had to leave the bar because people were harassing you about your Stars gear and was going to say I have NEVER seen that happen. I mean, people wear Leafs/Oilers/Flames gear all the time and those teams are much more ubiquitously hated :p

But yeah you get used to the smell of pot. It smells better than cigarette smoke, that's all I'm gonna say on this. And it's not "everywhere". :p There are certain places where it's always there, such as victory square.

But yes to all the newbies, feel free to ask any questions! As someone who's been to the city as both a tourist and a resident, I know a lot of places haha. my friends who were born here always say I know the city better than them because a lot of them haven't been to any of the more touristy places in Vancouver.

Tabris

You tell people to not live downtown Smiley, you are worst person to go to for advice.

Living in a closet downtown > living in a house in Surrey.

amchardy

Neo Member
I think I'm pretty set on getting a place in Coal Harbour - I know you can get more for your money elsewhere but it's the area I enjoyed spending most time in.

Gonna rent for a bit but think I'll end up buying in the not too distant future. I've got some really good equity in my place in the UK and the exchange rate is definitely in my favour at the moment. Not sure how long it'll stay that way though!

Tabris

It's very hard to get a mortgage with no credit history in Canada.

So unless you can buy full out with your equity in your UK house, it'll probably be a couple years of building up Canadian credit.

Make sure to open up a Canadian bank account ASAP and put some decent money in it to start building up now.

EDIT - Actually I don't know if it's different for commonwealth and whether there's any agreement on sharing credit history - but that's definitely the case between US and Canada.

amchardy

Neo Member
Unfortunately there's no arrangement for credit history sharing between UK and Canada. Commonwealth doesn't seem to make much of a difference for anything, even when it comes to immigration policies.

Buying outright may just be a possibility if I can beg borrow and steal from some very helpful family members!

I've always hated the idea of renting so don't want to be doing it for too long.

ZimJaBim

Neo Member
Hi,

Just got a new Job in North Delta and will be moving out end of November from Ontario and looking for some advice.

1. Moving with Girlfriend, 1 year old daughter and my dog. Rental prices worth it / sites I should use or should I look to purchase. I have been told to avoid bridges so I was thinking of looking for a place in Surrey, Langley, White Rock and Tsawwassen. I don’t know anyone who lives in Vancouver area so not sure if this is smart or if I should focus on some different areas. (just looking at google maps and crags list)

2. Internet providers. Who are the best providers, is it possible to get unlimited fiber at a reasonable price? Currently on Bell FibreOP with unlimited download.

3. Cell phone providers. Should I stick with the big 3 or are there good local companies that have coverage outside Vancouver area.

Looking forward to the move but know very little about the area.

Thanks for any advice or help.

Firestorm

You'll need to stick with the big three or their sub-brands. Our two major internet companies are Shaw and Telus. Delta Cable exists in Delta as well. They both usually have decent new customer promos. It ain't unlimited anymore.

You'll need a car if you're going to live in Delta. Transit is awful there.

I like http://padmapper.com for looking at rentals.

Tabris

There's only one absolute rule when you consider where to move in Vancouver...

Surrey.jpg

Firestorm

don't use my own photoshop against me

As someone who likes being able to use the Skytrain, Central City area is the only place I'd pick to live out of Surrey / Langley / Delta / etc. Unfortunately if your job is in Delta, owning a car is pretty unavoidable.

There's only one absolute rule when you consider where to move in Vancouver...

Surrey.jpg

Should be switched to Newton tbh

don't use my own photoshop against me

As someone who likes being able to use the Skytrain, Central City area is the only place I'd pick to live out of Surrey / Langley / Delta / etc. Unfortunately if your job is in Delta, owning a car is pretty unavoidable.
Shown by the fact that my workplace is on Annacis Island, a mere 10-15 minutes away by car from my house, and I have to take the bus through Annieville towards Scott Road station and double back on the bus that heads to Ladner Exchange

ZimJaBim

Neo Member
Place is right near tilbury island. I currently have 2 vehicles I was told the transit in the area is terrible so I was expecting to drive. I get conflicting things on Surry. Some people tell me its terrible others have told me south Surry is fine.

Tabris

South Surrey is better then Newton & Central Surrey but it's still bad.

I would recommend White Rock if you have to live in Surrey part of Vancouver.

Smiley90

You tell people to not live downtown Smiley, you are worst person to go to for advice.

Living in a closet downtown > living in a house in Surrey.

lol I never told people to live in Surrey I want them to live.

If they can afford it, sure, live downtown. But most people can't so I tell them it's worth it to spend the money on something else and live in a bigger, cheaper accomodation outside of downtown where they can skytrain/bus to downtown in 15mins. no big deal. Also depends on where they'll be working of course.

I'm not being a dick or kidding when I say Tabris is one of the worst people to ask for advice.

yeup.

Liberty4all

Banned
Hi,

Just got a new Job in North Delta and will be moving out end of November from Ontario and looking for some advice.

1. Moving with Girlfriend, 1 year old daughter and my dog. Rental prices worth it / sites I should use or should I look to purchase. I have been told to avoid bridges so I was thinking of looking for a place in Surrey, Langley, White Rock and Tsawwassen. I don’t know anyone who lives in Vancouver area so not sure if this is smart or if I should focus on some different areas. (just looking at google maps and crags list)

2. Internet providers. Who are the best providers, is it possible to get unlimited fiber at a reasonable price? Currently on Bell FibreOP with unlimited download.

3. Cell phone providers. Should I stick with the big 3 or are there good local companies that have coverage outside Vancouver area.

Looking forward to the move but know very little about the area.

Thanks for any advice or help.

I just moved from Toronto and work in Surrey near Guildford. When moving to BC I chose to live in north Burnaby near Brentwood as I had heard surrey was basically a cross between Brampton and Scarborough with a dash of north Etobicoke. With that said I went exploring through Whalley and its soft compared to the worst neighborhoods of Toronto. Jane and Finch or Malvern it's not. And the rest of Surrey is a lot more like a slightly seedier Mississauga from what I've seen so far. And the "bad" parts of Surrey really aren't any worse than say Parkdale in Toronto or maybe Kingston and Lawrence.

White Rock and Langley I gather might as well be another universe compared to Newton and Whalley. I'm sure locals can tell me if I'm wrong.

With that said, I really like north Burnaby ... Close to downtown, obviously affluent areas, great shopping and 0 homeless and/or street addicts.

I will say that Surrey and Vancouver in general have lots of homeless just like Toronto, however, the drug addiction problems bringing mental health issues is much worse. This is really noticeable on the Skytrain where it's not uncommon to have somebody with mental health and addiction problems going crazy on the train ... In Toronto if that happens the transit cops are on it quickly.

The neighborhoods you are looking at are far from the core transit wise. If going downtown regularly matters to you that might be an issue. The bridges from Surrey to West during rush hour are a nightmare ive been told unless you use the expensive toll one.

In other news i finally picked up a desperately needed TV set. Happy days!

Tabris

That is the a depressing room Bamelin. Lemme know if you need my interior design genius advice ;)

Moving to get away from that kind of stuff :p. During morning rush hour how bad does it get. If I have to go over the Pattullo bridge or Number 1.

There's not much traffic going the other way. So living in Vancouver and commuting to Delta isn't the end of the world. Otherwise it's about an hour to an hour and a half the other way (from Delta to Vancouver)

ZimJaBim

Neo Member
I just moved from Toronto and work in Surrey near Guildford. When moving to BC I chose to live in north Burnaby near Brentwood as I had heard surrey was basically a cross between Brampton and Scarborough with a dash of north Etobicoke. With that said I went exploring through Whalley and its soft compared to the worst neighborhoods of Toronto. Jane and Finch or Malvern it's not. And the rest of Surrey is a lot more like a slightly seedier Mississauga from what I've seen so far. And the "bad" parts of Surrey really aren't any worse than say Parkdale in Toronto or maybe Kingston and Lawrence.

White Rock and Langley I gather might as well be another universe compared to Newton and Whalley. I'm sure locals can tell me if I'm wrong.

With that said, I really like north Burnaby ... Close to downtown, obviously affluent areas, great shopping and 0 homeless and/or street addicts.

I will say that Surrey and Vancouver in general have lots of homeless just like Toronto, however, the drug addiction problems bringing mental health issues is much worse. This is really noticeable on the Skytrain where it's not uncommon to have somebody with mental health and addiction problems going crazy on the train ... In Toronto if that happens the transit cops are on it quickly.

The neighborhoods you are looking at are far from the core transit wise. If going downtown regularly matters to you that might be an issue. The bridges from Surrey to West during rush hour are a nightmare ive been told unless you use the expensive toll one.

In other news i finally picked up a desperately needed TV set. Happy days!

Thanks for the info gives me a better idea. I was interested in Burnaby but real estate agent told me the commute would be to long to get to delta. I do want to be as close to a sky train station and downtown but max my budget will allow right now would be $2,000 a month and I don't want to be more than an hour drive from my work.

Liberty4all

Banned
That is the a depressing room Bamelin. Lemme know if you need my interior design genius advice ;)

Heh yeah my current abode is a far cry from my condo in Toronto. I'm here on a 6 month contract ... It didn't make sense to rent unfurnished so I'm in a homestay. It's fairly ghetto by my standards (not really bad just a step down from what I'm used to) although the neighborhood is very nice. I just don't want to throw away cash on furniture I won't be able to take back to Toronto with me. The tv was nessecary though.

If my position goes permanent here I'll be looking for a better place and furnishings. For now playing it by ear.

Liberty4all

Banned
Thanks for the info gives me a better idea. I was interested in Burnaby but real estate agent told me the commute would be to long to get to delta. I do want to be as close to a sky train station and downtown but max my budget will allow right now would be $2,000 a month and I don't want to be more than an hour drive from my work.

Commuting from surrey downtown by transit is a 70 minute or so affair ... Not bad for weekend stints to see a game though.

I will say though that the neighborhoods in Surrey with easy Skytrain access are all sketchy. The "nice" suburban parts of Surrey are the parts that require a car imho and are wayyy out on the fringes.

That's going to change though. It's obvious to me that areas near Skytrain stations like Surrey Central are at the very beginning stages of gentrification and that process will accelerate as the condo complexes complete.

Cheerilee

Moving to get away from that kind of stuff :p. During morning rush hour how bad does it get. If I have to go over the Pattullo bridge or Number 1.

The four crossings around Surrey/Delta are (from east to west)...

The Port Mann Bridge (the number 1)
The Pattullo Bridge
The Alex Fraser Bridge
The George Massey Tunnel

Port Mann is a toll bridge. AFAIK, traffic's pretty light on it. Some people go out of their way to take it because it's faster, others go out of their way to avoid it because it's more expensive.

The Pattullo bridge is getting old and falling apart and crowded with people trying to avoid Port Mann, so they're talking about knocking it down and putting up a new toll bridge. This will push some traffic back to Port Mann as it'll become even harder to avoid paying tolls.

The Alex Fraser is a nice bridge. Fairly new, no tolls. It'll probably get worse once Pattullo goes down though. Also George Massey. Everyone's problems are going to get dumped on Alex Fraser.

The George Massey tunnel is my favorite. It's all dimly-lit with yellow-orange lights, and you get no radio signal so all you hear is the suddenly-echoing sound of all the cars. It's creepy. And some water occasionally drips in from the river overhead. It's probably going to collapse soon, and they're going to replace it with some boring bridge. Some boring toll bridge.

IMO, it's a good idea to live/work on the same side of the river, if you can. Cross the bridges for fun on the weekends, don't commit to crossing them twice-a-day for work.

If it was me, I'd try to find a nice place in Surrey. I rag on Surrey, but it's getting nicer with every year, and Delta is too quiet for my tastes.

I think I'm pretty set on getting a place in Coal Harbour - I know you can get more for your money elsewhere but it's the area I enjoyed spending most time in.

Gonna rent for a bit but think I'll end up buying in the not too distant future. I've got some really good equity in my place in the UK and the exchange rate is definitely in my favour at the moment. Not sure how long it'll stay that way though!

I'm moving to Coal Harbour later this month! I like it. I also like Yaletown but Yaletown is a bit loud on weekend evenings which is something I've noticed over the past few weeks so I'm kinda happy to be moving from Yaletown to Coal Harbour. I've only been in Yaletown for a few weeks due to it being my corporate housing area.

Place is right near tilbury island. I currently have 2 vehicles I was told the transit in the area is terrible so I was expecting to drive. I get conflicting things on Surry. Some people tell me its terrible others have told me south Surry is fine.

The city is fine. The people who hate on Surrey will go, "X area is fine, though, no one will bother you" when you comment about their city. Surrey is the place people like to make jokes because they want to feel superior. If you have enough bank and want quicker walking access then live downtown. If you want to save money and don't mind an extra block for the grocery store then don't go downtown. There isn't much benefit activity wise to living downtown.

Your car might get stolen in Surrey, though.

Tabris

and don't mind an extra block for the grocery store then don't go downtown. There isn't much benefit activity wise to living downtown.

This is so not accurate.

If you mean activity wise in terms of health, downtown is much better for you as you don't rely on a car. Want to go to the beach? Walk there. Want to go to an amazing city park? Walk there. Want to go anywhere? Walk there.

If you mean in terms of what you can do, once again, downtown is significantly different.

Let's say you live in an average suburb in Surrey. You want to go out for amazing sushi? Well too bad they don't have it - so you have to drive to Richmond being closest. You want to go shopping or get groceries? You have to drive 15 minutes then spend 5 minutes trying to find parking then have to deal with other suburbanites around you as you're shopping with their annoying kids running all around everywhere. Oh, and make sure you lock your car. Oh, what's that in the news? Another low gang shooting a couple blocks away from where I live. What's that? I can't walk around during the night as I'm afraid for my safety?

Suburbanite Surrey is a gross lifestyle in my opinion. Shoot me in the head if I ever get domesticated into that lifestyle.

If you want cheap, look towards places like Brentwood for at least a decent lifestyle. Get a run down place near Main and Commercial and your lifestyle will be much better then living in a nice house in Surrey.

beat

It's very hard to get a mortgage with no credit history in Canada.

[...]

EDIT - Actually I don't know if it's different for commonwealth and whether there's any agreement on sharing credit history - but that's definitely the case between US and Canada.

The first time I moved to the US for a job, I went to one of the big banks and asked them for a credit card and if they could look up my Canadian credit history. I got a card with about the same credit limit in dollar amount (I think the dollar was near parity then?) in short order.

This is so not accurate.

If you mean activity wise in terms of health, downtown is much better for you as you don't rely on a car. Want to go to the beach? Walk there. Want to go to an amazing city park? Walk there. Want to go anywhere? Walk there.

If you mean in terms of what you can do, once again, downtown is significantly different.

Let's say you live in an average suburb in Surrey. You want to go out for amazing sushi? Well too bad they don't have it - so you have to drive to Richmond being closest. You want to go shopping or get groceries? You have to drive 15 minutes then spend 5 minutes trying to find parking then have to deal with other suburbanites around you as you're shopping with their annoying kids running all around everywhere. Oh, and make sure you lock your car. Oh, what's that in the news? Another low gang shooting a couple blocks away from where I live. What's that? I can't walk around during the night as I'm afraid for my safety?

Suburbanite Surrey is a gross lifestyle in my opinion. Shoot me in the head if I ever get domesticated into that lifestyle.

If you want cheap, look towards places like Brentwood for at least a decent lifestyle. Get a run down place near Main and Commercial and your lifestyle will be much better then living in a nice house in Surrey.

You can't walk in places like Surrey?

Beach isn't that good most of the year in Vancouver and the water sucks. Go to a lake for a better water experience.

You can eat food outside of downtown. It's safe. It won't kill you.

It takes you 5 minutes to find a parking spot at the grocery store? Stick to walking. You're probably a danger behind the wheel.

Annoying kids live downtown as well.

People are shot in Vancouver as well.

Gangs exist in Vancouver as well.

DTES exists in Vancouver, but... that place is safe.

What do you do with your day? I'm sure, since you live downtown, you must have every day jam packed with things to do. I sure hope you min-maxed your schedule otherwise you are a pretty wasteful downtown Vancouverite.

Smiley90

There is no official credit sharing agreement between the US and Canada. You might've gotten lucky. The only banks AFAIK that can use your Canadian credit history are TD USA and RBC USA, for obvious reasons.

American Express USA allows the same with their global transfer program, essentially works the same way too. But you'll have to start building your credit history from scratch, all these do is allow you to jumpstart your credit history by giving you cards.

Tabris

You can't walk in places like Surrey?

Beach isn't that good most of the year in Vancouver and the water sucks. Go to a lake for a better water experience.

You can eat food outside of downtown. It's safe. It won't kill you.

It takes you 5 minutes to find a parking spot at the grocery store? Stick to walking. You're probably a danger behind the wheel.

Annoying kids live downtown as well.

People are shot in Vancouver as well.

Gangs exist in Vancouver as well.

DTES exists in Vancouver, but... that place is safe.

What do you do with your day? I'm sure, since you live downtown, you must have every day jam packed with things to do. I sure hope you min-maxed your schedule otherwise you are a pretty wasteful downtown Vancouverite.

OK, let's take an average address in Surrey.

Let's say I live at 126th St and 68a in some boring cul-da-sac

Tell me what there is to do there.

OK, let's take an average address in Surrey.

Let's say I live at 126th St and 68a in some boring cul-da-sac

Tell me what there is to do there.

You end it with "there" assuming no one can leave and go do something. They can. Yes, it increases the travel time but no one min-maxes their days so an extra 30 minutes of travel isn't going to ruin your day. Downtown isn't a hub of fun activities. You don't spend all your time doing activities downtown and chances are you've left downtown to do activities.

Tabris

You end it with "there" assuming no one can leave and go do something. They can. Yes, it increases the travel time but no one min-maxes their days so an extra 30 minutes of travel isn't going to ruin your day. Downtown isn't a hub of fun activities. You don't spend all your time doing activities downtown and chances are you've left downtown to do activities.

That's where you're wrong, outside of Kits, Whistler, and the Airport - I don't leave downtown. I have a couple friends near Metrotown that I'm OK meeting down there, but would never go there if I stopped being friends with them.

If "time is money", you sure waste a lot of money living in a place like Surrey where you need to drive everywhere. Plus the environmental harm you are doing living and driving in suburbia.

People never factor in time for their cost analysis of living in Surrey vs Vancouver.

That's where you're wrong, outside of Kits, Whistler, and the Airport - I don't leave downtown. I have a couple friends near Metrotown that I'm OK meeting down there, but would never go there if I stopped being friends with them.

If "time is money", you sure waste a lot of money living in a place like Surrey where you need to drive everywhere. Plus the environmental harm you are doing living and driving in suburbia.

People never factor in time for their cost analysis of living in Surrey vs Vancouver.

You leave downtown to do activities.

Time is money regarding work. Hanging around isn't money. It can be but those who believe that are weird. What do you do on a daily basis that keeps you occupied? You spend a lot of time on NeoGAF so you must be having a blast downtown. If I travel 20 minutes to go somewhere there's a really good chance that 20 minutes would have been wasted some other way. My day will rarely (like really low) be 100% busy. It just never is and neither is yours.

I don't disagree cars harm the environment.

Tabris

You leave downtown to do activities.

Time is money regarding work. Hanging around isn't money. It can be but those who believe that are weird. What do you do on a daily basis that keeps you occupied? You spend a lot of time on NeoGAF so you must be having a blast downtown. If I travel 20 minutes to go somewhere there's a really good chance that 20 minutes would have been wasted some other way. My day will rarely (like really low) be 100% busy. It just never is. Neither is yours.

I don't though. Airport is to travel for work. Whistler is a weekend escape situation. Kits is fair but I consider it part of the downtown realm for activites.

My day is usually constantly busy. I use NeoGAF as I'm coding an app for a startup idea I have or just when I'm working not during meetings / calls, it gives me a nice break in between sessions without having to unwind totally. So it is exactly time is potential money.

But otherwise I fill my day with activities with people. I usually eat out 3-4 days a week for dinner, 2 days a week for breakfast / brunch. I go out drinking to a bar or club 2 days a week. Go for coffee a couple times a week. Usually go to some kind of show (movie, concert, play, ballet, etc) once a week. I go out to the beach quite often, usually combined with one of the above activities. Etc. Etc. Oh plus working out which takes an hour a day but I don't need to commute to it, wasn't sure to count this as some people have home gyms but then you don't do gym classes like yoga.

So with work and activities, any down time to totally unwind and play video games or whatever is important. Can't be wasted commuting.

The reason why people do less activities in the suburbs is because it's a hassle to do them there. It's an inactive lifestyle, because everyone has to think "is this worth getting in my car and driving to?" after a long day of work and commuting from work. So another reason why that suburbanite lifestyle is gross.

Firestorm

Tabris is one of those people who can't understand anyone other than himself. Don't listen to his advice as I already said earlier. Living downtown Vancouver and commuting to work in North Delta is fucking stupid. Don't do that.

Also definitely don't ask for advice on Surrey from someone who spends 50% of his posts in this thread explaining how he never goes there.

I agree with Surrey probably being the best spot. In a few years it's going to have a larger population than Vancouver and it's going to be one of our central hubs in the lower mainland. Accessible transit will follow. I think South Surrey is probably the better bet for a family whereas Central City I see as a location for single people in their 20s. I've considered a condo or something there but would personally prefer to live downtown so am still savin'.

Bamelin has been here for a month and has far better advice on Metro Vancouver than Tabris will be able to give you. His comparisons to Toronto should help.

I don't though. Airport is to travel for work. Whistler is a weekend escape situation. Kits is fair but I consider it part of the downtown realm for activites.

Then you are wrong.

My day is usually constantly busy. I use NeoGAF as I'm coding an app for a startup idea I have or just when I'm working not during meetings / calls, it gives me a nice break in between sessions without having to unwind totally. So it is exactly time is potential money.

But otherwise I fill my day with activities with people. I usually eat out 3-4 days a week for dinner, 2 days a week for breakfast / brunch. I go out drinking to a bar or club 2 days a week. Go for coffee a couple times a week. Usually go to some kind of show (movie, concert, play, ballet, etc) once a week. I go out to the beach quite often, usually combined with one of the above activities. Etc. Etc. Oh plus working out which takes an hour a day but I don't need to commute to it, wasn't sure to count this as some people have home gyms but then you don't do gym classes like yoga.

So with work and activities, any down time to totally unwind and play video games or whatever is important. Can't be wasted commuting.

The reason why people do less activities in the suburbs is because it's a hassle to do them there. It's an inactive lifestyle, because everyone has to think "is this worth getting in my car and driving to?" after a long day of work and commuting from work. So another reason why that suburbanite lifestyle is gross.

Essentially what every one else can do and probably does: eat out multiple times a week, go to bars, and hit the gym.

People downtown like to sit and relax after a long day of work too. I too can use anecdotes.

You know how suburbanites think? You are the person who says shoot you in the head if you have to live here.

You're not actually saying you can do more things downtown but there's less travel time which is true but even then you still have downtime like right now when you're pissing away valuable time at 2:00AM. It's fine to dislike living in the suburbs but it's really dumb to say you can't do much out here. It reflects more on how well you can acclimate rather than what they can do.

Tabris

I understand other people. I understand the people settled for an inferior lifestyle so they can have a lawn and a big house.

I grew up in Surrey and North Delta. I know everything about it and how fucking boring it is.

When the highlight of your weekend is going to the Ozone (most of you probably won't know what that is, but it was like one of the few nightclubs in Surrey and it was gross as expected because it's Surrey), it's lacking.

Living in Surrey and moving downtown is the equivalent of working on a farm with your redneck friends and then getting to move into the city.

Essentially what every one else can do and probably does: eat out multiple times a week, go to bars, and hit the gym.

Except they don't. Most people I know that live in the suburbs have a very home-body lifestyle. They rarely go out to eat and often don't go to the bars or leave early to get transit "because the cab ride home is too expensive"

Then you are wrong.

OK, if that's the case, then I'll change my statement to there's no reason to leave Downtown + Kits. If they just improved the West End and English Bay areas, I may not need to go to Kits. Well probably still would as I have a lot of friends there, but wouldn't be going there for any other reason.

I understand other people. I understand the people settled for an inferior lifestyle so they can have a lawn and a big house.

I grew up in Surrey and North Delta. I know everything about it and how fucking boring it is.

When the highlight of your weekend is going to the Ozone (most of you probably won't know what that is, but it was like one of the few nightclubs in Surrey and it was gross as expected because it's Surrey), it's lacking.

Living in Surrey and moving downtown is the equivalent of working on a farm with your redneck friends and then getting to move into the city.

I ate home cooked ribs today, played poker, and went to bubble tea. Was my day wasted? If so, what would I need to add to make it not wasted?

Except they don't. Most people I know that live in the suburbs have a very home-body lifestyle. They rarely go out to eat and often don't go to the bars or leave early to get transit "because the cab ride home is too expensive"

OK, if that's the case, then I'll change my statement to there's no reason to leave Downtown + Kits. If they just improved the West End and English Bay areas, I may not need to go to Kits. Well probably still would as I have a lot of friends there, but wouldn't be going there for any other reason
Another anecdote? I know plenty in downtown (richer than you) who don't go to bars. There are bars in Surrey, Burnaby, Richmond, etc. I thought you grew up here.

You do admit you leave downtown to do activities.

Tabris

I ate home cooked ribs today, played poker, and went to bubble tea. Was my day wasted? If so, what would I need to add to make it not wasted?

Give me your week. Your month. Your year.

You may be an anomaly, but on average, suburbanites live a much less active lifestyle due to the inconvenience of driving.

Another anecdote? I know plenty in downtown (richer than you) who don't go to bars. There are bars in Surrey, Burnaby, Richmond, etc. I thought you grew up here.

You do admit you leave downtown to do activities.

You are only responding with anecdotes too. None of us have statistics, just our personal experiences. I have lived on both sides though. Also I'm not rich. And there aren't any good bars in Surrey.

And yes, Kits too. I don't leave Downtown + Kits

I wouldn't want to live in the suburbs unless I worked out there but that's just me. I use to live in Downtown Dallas so it's just hard for me to go back to that. But it's totally up to the person as commuting from Downtown to a suburb may be more annoying.

Nothing wrong with suburbs or downtown. Just different experiences each with their pluses and negatives.

Give me your week. Your month. Your year.

You may be an anomaly, but on average, suburbanites live a much less active lifestyle due to the inconvenience of driving.

Another anecdote. You have nothing but your gut feeling.

My week? Work 8-4, gym til 5:30 (get home at 4:40ish), cook dinner, girlfriend comes over, hang around for a bit, check out various Halloween stuff since it's October, most of the week we will go eat out, if I don't meet up with her I either go meet up with friends at their place or for dinner, or I stay home and catch up on shows. Weekends usually consists of more of the same but with alcohol, and maybe toss in a poker game.

What more value can I get out of this? I could go see 3 movies a week, check out a play, or go to a random festival in the lower mainland but I choose not to. Those options are still available to me similar to how they're available to someone who lives 10 minutes away from me.

You are only responding with anecdotes too. None of us have statistics, just our personal experiences. I have lived on both sides though. Also I'm not rich. And there aren't any good bars in Surrey.

And yes, Kits too. I don't leave Downtown + Kits

I jab at your anecdotes with mine. I'm only saying them to show you that yours are worthless to this discussion.

"good" seems to be your metric here. You will never understand because you rank by monetary which adds to my previous acclimate comment.

Tabris

but I choose not to. Those options are still available to me similar to how they're available to someone who lives 10 minutes away from me.

Proving my point. You choose not to. Those festivals, cultural events, etc are an hour away from you, not 10 minutes away.

Another example - say I want to go to a hockey game - I just walk 5 minutes, buy tickets from a scalper and I'm in an NHL game (or MLS or CFL)! 0 hassle. While it's an event they have to plan around for people living in the suburbs.

Proving my point. You choose not to. Those festivals, cultural events, etc are an hour away from you, not 10 minutes away.

Another example - say I want to go to a hockey game - I just walk 5 minutes, buy tickets from a scalper and I'm in an NHL game! 0 hassle. While it's an event they have to plan around for people living in the suburbs.

I can still go to the hockey game. That's the point you have been unable to understand.

I'll take it you agree with my other points since you won't acknowledge or counter them.

I hope your precious time is well used when arguing over time management on NeoGAF at 2:20AM on a Monday morning.

Tabris

I can still go to the hockey game. That's the point you have been unable to understand.

I'll take it you agree with my other points since you won't acknowledge or counter them.

I hope your precious time is well used when arguing over time management on NeoGAF at 2:20AM on a Monday morning.

Your point is "I can do everything you do" and I'm saying people in your situation generally don't because it's a hassle to commute (especially when drinking is involved). And you're not disproving my point with your own anecdotes as you aren't doing the same things I am, and the things I'm doing aren't special, it's just normal downtown lifestyle.

I don't know what your other points were as you've either been arguing semantics or this main point of being able to do everything else.

Also I am making use of time right now. I have GAF, a video podcast, and Xcode open right now. Multi-tasking ;)

Top Bottom