• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

beat

There's 2 hospitals easily accessible from downtown and transit - St Pauls and Vancouver General Hospital.

St Pauls will be closing soon with a new hospital opening in a better location next to a skytrain station.
But is transit viable for people on late or night shifts? Skytrain shuts down between 1 am and 5 am and late night buses aren't much better.

Tabris

But is transit viable for people on late or night shifts? Skytrain shuts down between 1 am and 5 am and late night buses aren't much better.

Well St Paul and the new St Paul are right downtown so it's walking distance.

For VGH, I believe there are night buses that run until like 2am, but yeah - Vancouver's transit system is useless between 1:30am and 5am. It really bothers me too as that's the worst way to deter from drunk driving when a lot of people are getting out of the bars after that time.

I have a feeling the cab companies have some play to ensure that doesn't get changed.

Liberty4all

Banned
Yeah usually hospitals run 12 hr shifts 7:30 - 7:30 (both day and overnights). So I would imagine my wife would something walking distance (15 - 20 min walk) via a safe when it's dark route. Hell I still worry about her walking in Toronto at 6:45 AM in the wintertime even along safe routes although the core of Toronto is relatively safe everywhere except for a few "up and coming" areas in the process of gentrifying.

It's also more a thing of not wanting any commute via transit at all when having to work long shifts. I'll check out those suburban hospitals though. Transit here is much shorter to get places outside of the core than it is in Toronto where transit to the GTA could mean a 1 hr plus commute.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
You used Dubai as an example. You can't fly that direct out of Vancouver currently.

EDIT - You can't fly direct to Johannesburg either. (actually looks like you can't get direct from anywhere on the west coast of North America to that city. Maybe on weekends or something?)

EDIT 2 - Oh, and the prices get even worse when you want to fly decent airlines like Air Canada, Virgin America, Cathaway Pacific, etc vs the budget airlines.

... Neither are the prices I quoted from LAX/SFO, those are the cheapest ones. And a layover in AMS/CDG/LHR isnt the end of the world as it's basically halfway. And the airlines are Air France, KLM and British, all of which are at least on par with Air Canada or American. And better than United. And you can fly Seattle-Dubai direct on Emirates with a short layover in Seattle.

My point still stands, flying anywhere in the world except north america is cheaper ex-Vancouver than ex-USA, given price per distance.

Also you brought up YYZ to Europe and when I refute your point you say I'm too focused on Europe? OO

Also I'm not the one that felt the need to bring up travel patterns, but feel free to attack me.

"Btw I travel more than you, NOW DONT BRING UP PERSONAL ATTACKS", so much maturity right ;)

The only flight out of Vancouver that I find consistently cheaper than most other airports at similar distances is Las Vegas. :p

DFW to Vegas is more expensive than Vancouver to Vegas for some reason (at least on fares I've checked in the past) Probably due to the dominance of AA in Dallas.

DFW to Vancouver round trip is freaking $750-800. It's so terrible :\ (Nonstop that is)

If I do the 1 stop in Denver via United, (it takes 2 extra hours) it ends up dropping to about 400.

Smiley90

The only flight out of Vancouver that I find consistently cheaper than most other airports at similar distances is Las Vegas. :p

DFW to Vegas is more expensive than Vancouver to Vegas for some reason (at least on fares I've checked in the past) Probably due to the dominance of AA in Dallas.

DFW to Vancouver round trip is freaking $750-800. It's so terrible : (Nonstop that is)

If I do the 1 stop in Denver via United, (it takes 2 extra hours) it ends up dropping to about 400.

DFW-LAX-YVR RT is 380 CAD on American Airlines, take that? It's less than 8h total, only like 3h more than direct.

Or do you HAVE to fly United?

DFW-LAX-YVR RT is 380 CAD on American Airlines, take that? It's less than 8h total, only like 3h more than direct.

Or do you HAVE to fly United?

Nonstop or riot!

I fly 100,000+ miles a year, I don't need more times in airports

RIOT SMILEY RIOT! :p

EDIT: jesus i just realized I'm posting this from a plane.

Haha fair enough :p

That explains why you have to fly United

I'm currently flying them now only because they are the only airlines that fly into YVR that can take dogs it seems like. AA bans snubbed nosed breeds from flights. Air Canada banned them as of July this year. Delta doesn't fly into YVR on large enough planes :\

Smiley90

I'm currently flying them now only because they are the only airlines that fly into YVR that can take dogs it seems like. AA bans snubbed nosed breeds from flights. Air Canada banned them as of July this year. Delta doesn't fly into YVR on large enough planes :

For real? Wow... What about Alaska? Too small of a plane or dont wanna connect so bad? :p

Tabris

... Neither are the prices I quoted from LAX/SFO, those are the cheapest ones. And a layover in AMS/CDG/LHR isnt the end of the world as it's basically halfway. And the airlines are Air France, KLM and British, all of which are at least on par with Air Canada or American. And better than United. And you can fly Seattle-Dubai direct on Emirates with a short layover in Seattle.

My point still stands, flying anywhere in the world except north america is cheaper ex-Vancouver than ex-USA, given price per distance.

Of course non-direct flights will usually be cheaper. I'm saying the direct flights are usually more expensive from Vancouver then places like Pearson, SFO, LAX, Ohare, JFK/La Guerda, etc.

Sure, an extra couple hours on a layover is no big deal when you are on vacation. Flying non-direct for business sucks. That's why I was telling you how much I travel.

Imagine you are working Tuesday normal 8-4 schedule and you have a flight at 6pm. You have the option of a 3hr direct flight or a 5hr layover flight. Then you get to your hotel, need to prep for the meeting the next day which may take you a couple hours, so the difference between going to bed at midnight or 2am. Next day you are at the clients for the day and you fly out that night. Once again, 3hr direct or 5hr layout flight. You get back at night, go to sleep and wake up the next day to work (once again difference between going to bed at midnight or 2am).

The difference between 6hrs and 10hrs of travel is huge for those that travel for business.

Smiley90

Of course non-direct flights will usually be cheaper. I'm saying the direct flights are usually more expensive from Vancouver then places like Pearson, SFO, LAX, Ohare, JFK/La Guerda, etc.

Sure, an extra couple hours on a layover is no big deal when you are on vacation. Flying non-direct for business sucks. That's why I was telling you how much I travel.

Imagine you are working Tuesday normal 8-4 schedule and you have a flight at 6pm. You have the option of a 3hr direct flight or a 5hr layover flight. Then you get to your hotel, need to prep for the meeting the next day which may take you a couple hours, so the difference between going to bed at midnight or 2am. Next day you are at the clients for the day and you fly out that night. Once again, 3hr direct or 5hr layout flight. You get back at night, go to sleep and wake up the next day to work (once again difference between going to bed at midnight or 2am).

The difference between 6hrs and 10hrs of travel is huge for those that travel for business.

For what it's worth, guess how many direct flights from LAX/SFO there are to JNB? Yup, also 0. So you have to connect. And it's more than 100 CAD cheaper from YVR than from SFO/LAX. My point stands.

Also, SEA-DXB is a 14h30min direct flight and costs 1650 CAD.

.... Want to guess how much YVR-SEA-DXB RT is? Yup, less than 1300CAD with only a stopover in Seattle. That adds barely any time to your total travel time and saying "but it has a stopover!" is just pedantics in this case.

Then there's YVR-CDG-DXB on Air France for 980CAD and 21h total. Whereas it costs 1100 CAD on United for a 21h flight with a stopover from SFO or LAX.

So ex-YVR to DXB and JNB is cheaper for both business and leisure travellers.

TL;DR: Flying ex-YVR (or ex-Canada in general) is cheaper to basically anywhere in the world, except select few destinations. intra-Canada flights are more expensive than USA-Canada flights and Canada-USA flights are more expensive than USA-USA flights, for obvious reasons (many more US airlines in competition than sucky Air Canada)

My point remains, Vancouverites have it REALLY nice for flying, due to ex-SEA for north american flights and ex-YVR for everywhere else in the world.

Tabris

How many people fly to Dubai or South Africa from Vancouver?

How many people fly to Boston or New York from Vancouver?

So sure your long flights Vancouver may be better since the layovers aren't a big deal (what's an extra couple of hours for a 14hr flight) but they matter significantly for those 3 to 8hr flights for business.

Smiley90

Disagree 100%. Outside of flying to Asia, it's more expensive to fly from Vancouver then most other similar cities. Toronto is much cheaper and has quicker flight paths. LAX and SFO are much cheaper to fly out of to the rest of the world.

EDIT - This coming from someone that has flown to 17 different US states, and 8 different countries from Vancouver.

I was arguing this. Just admit you were wrong and we can put it to rest.

Smiley90

And I do attest to this for direct flights which we were talking about before that.

direct flights to where? Dubai? You're wrong, unless you count the very minimal stopover in Seattle as a not-non-stop, which you know as well as me is just pedantic.

Johannesburg? There are no direct flights from SFO or LAX either and it's cheaper with 1 stop from YVR.

And that's using the same "quality airlines", arguably better, because whether United is as good as British, Air France or KLM is debatable.

Want me to bring up other cities? I just randomly picked Johannesburg and Dubai because they're neither in Asia nor in Europe, which you said I should "stop focusing on".

Tabris

It's not a minimal stopover. You fly to Seattle in a shitty prop plane. Then gotta spend usually over an hour for a layover. Then hope they don't lose your baggage in the transfer between 2 different airlines.

Non-direct sucks.

It may not be a big deal when you're just flying for vacation, but for business it sucks.

EDIT - And direct flights (or lack there of) to the US.

Smiley90

OR, you know, just drive to Seattle. Book it so that you can use your seattle leg sometime earlier to go somewhere, then drive to Seattle and throw away your Seattle-Vancouver return leg.

The drive to Seattle isn't that much longer than the drive to any other major US airport from the city.

If you wanna be pedantic about that one, then sure. But we're talking about Dubai here, that's not your "I have to fly there every week" business destination. And a leisure traveller isn't gonna say "no I rather save 3h in flying and pay 400 dollars more on a 14h+ trip). for 400 dollars they can stay on vacation longer or buy more souvenirs. Or, you know, go to Hawksworth once. pretend you're a regular citizen with a regular income here.

Compare

http://www.kayak.com/explore/SFO/

and

http://www.kayak.com/explore/YVR/

South America?

The only ones more expensive are odd ones like Recipe etc. Major hubs (Rio, Sao Paulo, Lima, Santiago) are all cheaper from YVR AND the distance is much longer.

Africa?

Cheaper to Johannesburg. Not cheaper to Cape town or Kenya, I'll give you that.

Europe?

Cheaper basically anywhere from Vancouver than from SFO.

Asia?

Cheaper basically anywhere from Vancouver than from SFO, though you've already granted that

Australia?

Cheaper from SFO, though also much shorter distance - accounting for distance, probably more of a tie than anything.

India/Middle East?

Some cheaper from each destination, calling it a tie

Firestorm

I've flown out of Seattle three times (San Francisco one-way, Salt Lake City round trip, Tokyo round trip). Usually stick to Vancouver as without a vehicle I'm often doing a BoltBus/Greyhound + LRT combo which is about 5 hours on top of travel time. It's usually just whatever works best with my work schedule.

With our shitty dollar it's harder to justify as I've noticed our flight prices haven't really dropped making the savings not very much to go to Seattle.

Smiley90

Well at least no one died.

But if you don't from me again, tell the stripper at the number 5 that I didn't use a condom. She's the one with the tattooes.

Is that gonna help me?

And how did she not notice that?

Smiley90

It was one of those "ultra thin" condoms.

nEk36.gif

Dazzler

Driving through the city on Wednesday night and it's really noticeable which areas of the city are enclaves for particular political parties

All around King Ed and Arbutus was nothing but conservative posters. Drive a little further east and it turns orange in a hurry

Surprised the Cons get any support at all in such a liberal city, but then again - rich people

Smiley90

Driving through the city on Wednesday night and it's really noticeable which areas of the city are enclaves for particular political parties

All around King Ed and Arbutus was nothing but conservative posters. Drive a little further east and it turns orange in a hurry

Surprised the Cons get any support at all in such a liberal city, but then again - rich people

You answered your own question there, really no surprise. :p

Who's all voting here Monday?

I was going to, but now instead I am going to get tested b/c last night I also slept with the dark haired, tattooed #5 stripper RC was with. We just cuddled though, am I gonna be okay?

Smiley90

Who's all voting here Monday?

I was going to, but now instead I am going to get tested b/c last night I also slept with the dark haired, tattooed #5 stripper RC was with. We just cuddled though, am I gonna be okay?

I'm not allowed to vote

but everyone else here better go and vote! Just... please don't vote conservative... pleeeeaaaaaaaaaase

Tabris

I'm trying to find a family doctor closest to downtown Vancouver that's accepting patients. Any recommendations?

I found a coast medical accepting on the science world side of false creek, but that's it so far. I am really surprised there isn't one near Chinatown.

beat

I voted already! I'm currently an expat (not past 5 years though) so I voted by mail. Or more precisely, I turned it in to the consulate a while ago and they assured me they'd overnight it, so it definitely got in on time.

Smiley90

I'm trying to find a family doctor closest to downtown Vancouver that's accepting patients. Any recommendations?

I found a coast medical accepting on the science world side of false creek, but that's it so far. I am really surprised there isn't one near Chinatown.

There's a medical clinic at Roundhouse, try that one? It's called... uh.... Aquarius! No idea if they accept patients though, but I've heard good things about it.

Tipping etiquette here?

It's just different than the US as every place has a chip/pin machine and they always seem to ask. If I get a few pizza slices do I tip? If I get an order of food and they ring a bell for me to pick it up, do I tip?

Ill tip at places where I order to-go I guess? What is the preferred method?

Tabris

Treat it generally the same as the US.

Don't tip for togo orders. Only sit down orders. Tip your taxi cab driver, your delivery order, and your hair stylist.

Generally I tip 10% for delivery, 10% for taxi cabs, 15-20% for restaurants depending on scale / quality, 20% for hair stylist.

Haha that dude is also my family doctor now, (young Asian guy, Available only on Wednesdays?) Science world isn't too far from Chinatown.

There was a website, had a list of family physicians accepting new patients. Google it.

Tipping etiquette here?

It's just different than the US as every place has a chip/pin machine and they always seem to ask. If I get a few pizza slices do I tip? If I get an order of food and they ring a bell for me to pick it up, do I tip?

Tip on things you feel deserve it. There's plenty of places that are starting to add tip options so be careful. Subway stores have started to do this. Some bars and clubs will lowball you for the night if you don't put in the "required" $1 after ordering each drink.

trifelife

Tipping etiquette here?

Just make sure it intensifies at some point.

Top Bottom