• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety: Ben Affleck steps down as director of 'The Batman'

Status
Not open for further replies.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I thought they did already (with Ayer).

Sigh I blame the studio. Didn't they use the company that made the trailers to edit the final cut of the film?

At least Snyder knows how to make some cool looking shots and kickass action scenes. Ratner and McGriddle are legit fucking irredeemable.

WB should go full on Resident Evil / Underworld. Just make the DC movies filled with action sequences with bad cuts, 5 lines of dialogue and no story.

Blader

Honestly the reception to Live by Night kind of cooled me a bit on the prospect of Affleck directing this movie anyway.

Ed-Silver

Neo Member
Can WB just give David Fincher a boat load of cash to save this film? Ben Affleck and Fincher already worked in Gone Girl together and that turned out good.

"It has become clear that I cannot do both jobs to the level they require."

Live By Night, a passion project for Affleck, who wrote, produced, starred in and directed —was shaping up to be a bona fide box office bomb for Warners after bad reviews and poor box office crippled the film’s financial prospects.

The film couldn’t crack the Top 10 in its opening weekend, opening to just $5.1 million from 2,822 theaters for a per-theater average of $1,809.

Ouch. Dude is not feeling so hot.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Too bad. I still blame the so-called "critics." They're all Tabitha Dickinson as far as DC movies are concerned.

Is this the point where multiple people call you out and you dip and never defend your stance like you did in the other thread?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
But dude, the warehouse scene. Did you see it? The Warehousr Brawl was amazing!

Just don't mention how Batman murdered guys on the way to the warehouse.

No, do mention that cus it was badass as shit.
SSiWbgh.png

Monocle

Well great. I thought this had the potential to be something special, but now...

I guess Live By Night sealed his fate.

Davey Cakes

Okay. When a person as impassioned as Ben Affleck steps down, you have to believe that there's just something wrong with the project overall. One moment it's supposed to be his baby. The next moment he can't handle the position? Or doesn't want it?

What the fuck? Just let a creator/fanboy make his fucking product and deliver it to audiences. Don't mess with it to the point where the guy doesn't even want to bother as the director anymore. Fuck the studios. They cannot get it right with the DCEU. Period. They have no idea what they're doing. Think about it. Being the director AND actor gives Affleck a lot of control. Dropping one of these roles will absolutely impact the original vision. It's unfortunate because we NEED this movie to be the dream creation of a Batman fanboy.

Ross61

Okay.

When a person as impassioned as Ben Affleck steps down, you have to believe that there's just something wrong with the project overall. One moment it's supposed to be his baby. The next moment he can't handle the position? Or doesn't want it?

What the fuck? Just let a creator/fanboy make his fucking product and deliver it to audiences. Don't mess with it to the point where the guy doesn't even want to bother anymore.

Fuck the studios. They cannot get it right with the DCEU. Period. They have no idea what they're doing.

What part of he's unable to do so was the article unclear about? lol

Effect

Okay.

When a person as impassioned as Ben Affleck steps down, you have to believe that there's just something wrong with the project overall. One moment it's supposed to be his baby. The next moment he can't handle the position? Or doesn't want it?

What the fuck? Just let a creator/fanboy make his fucking product and deliver it to audiences. Don't mess with it to the point where the guy doesn't even want to bother anymore.

Fuck the studios. They cannot get it right with the DCEU. Period. They have no idea what they're doing.

He stated why he was stepping down. The why shouldn't be up for debate. He said he can't both direct and act to the best of his ability. This is directly about Live by Night which just came out and it's a film where he did exactly that in addition to writing and producing it. Something he would be doing on The Batman as well and the results clearly weren't pretty. It got hit critically and bomb financially. He would be taking the same roles on The Batman and it would be even more involved and stressful. Hell he'd have to direct while wearing the damn Batman suit at times. He's never direct anything like a Batman film either. So he's backing out of directing and wants a director he can work with to make sure it goes well. He was just shown what his limitations were and what he can't and likely shouldn't do again and is taking appropriate steps. This is disappointing but not even close to an overall negative I think.

Grimsen

He stated why he was stepping down. The why shouldn't be up for debate. He said he can't do both direct and act to the best of his ability. This is directly about Live by Night which just came out and it's a film where he did exactly that in addition to writing and producing it. Something he would be doing on The Batman as well and the results clearly weren't pretty. It got hit critically and bomb financially. He would be taking the same roles on The Batman and it would be even more involved and stressful. So he's backing out of directing and wants a director he can work with to make sure it goes well.

He could also have been asked to step down, because of Live By Night.

Snyder needs to stay away from the director's chair for this. I can't really think of anyone right now that could direct this, though.

LosDaddie

Banned
He stated why he was stepping down. The why shouldn't be up for debate. He said he can't do both direct and act to the best of his ability. This is directly about Live by Night which just came out and it's a film where he did exactly that in addition to writing and producing it. Something he would be doing on The Batman as well and the results clearly weren't pretty. It got hit critically and bomb financially. He would be taking the same roles on The Batman and it would be even more involved and stressful. So he's backing out of directing and wants a director he can work with to make sure it goes well.

I would do the same if I were Affleck. I can only imagine the workload of directing and starring in a Batman movie. Nah. I'm good. I'll just do my thing as Batman and someone else handle directing.

A non-action movie would at least be more manageable

Effect

He could also have been asked to step down, because of Live By Night.

Snyder needs to stay away from the director's chair for this. I can't really think of anyone right now that could direct this, though.

True he could have been asked to step down but it's not like he would be able to argue against the idea. Not after what he likely went through.

I would like either Chan wook park or David Fincher to direct this actually...I think that would be dope.

Ben would probably prefer Chan wook between those 2 just due to 50 takes for everything with David would be annoying as Batman in a Bat suit.

Well I understand the reasoning behind Ben Affleck stepping down being the director of Batman. But I don't see this looking to good, if this film is directed under a person who isn't a competent one.

Well my decision on whether or not I will give up on the franchise, depends on whether or not Wonder Woman turns out well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom