• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Venture Bros. Season 5 |OT| - Sundays @ 12 on Adult Swim - Come get a rusty venture!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, I watched the first season years back and maybe parts of the second but I just watched that recap on IGN and it looks insane. If I didn't dislike the mature humor so much I'd be all over it. I actually may try to catch up though and become a true fan. :p

Dean's full name isn't Roger Dean. Yeah, Rusty said that was the inspiration for how he named Dean but that doesn't mean his full name is Roger Dean.

Is there something special going on in Melbourne? Or is that just where you'll happen to be when the premier happens lol. Just curious cause it's where I lived.
Apparently there were 7 places worldwide where they did this and Melbourne was one of them. I think the Monarch had a connection at this movie theater.
4B339A70-88CC-4347-8CB9-CF5D3BD26BFC-272-0000000B8A4471E4_zpsa92aacea.jpg

Dean's full name isn't Roger Dean. Yeah, Rusty said that was the inspiration for how he named Dean but that doesn't mean his full name is Roger Dean.
You're quite right, but his name felt so naked up there as just plain ol' Dean... plus Roger Dean is the greatest artist of Rusty's generation! Or any generation!

Poor, boring Dean...
7AvsEjb.jpg

You'll get yours, buddy! Stupid Outrider!

B33

Banned
The Venture Bros. Season V premiered in 7 theaters.

A limited edition print was handed out to all attendees. I believe The Alamo Drafthouse screenings offered an exclusive screenprint, while the other two venues had the character relationship chart (seen on adultswim.com) as prints.

Below are a few observations (bereft of spoilers) from the screening I attended.

• "Operation: P.R.O.M." played first, then the debut of "What Color is your Cleansuit?" followed. Both were uncensored. Hearing each account of what a "Rusty Venture" entails was just as humorous without the bleeps.

• It's not dissimilar to Season 4 finale in that it shares the same running time (just under and hour). This doesn't detract from its pacing, which is lean and feels just as brisk as the show's usual half hour fare.

• It picks up nearly right after the preceding episode. View "Operation: P.R.O.M." if you haven't done so since its debut nearly three years ago.

• It's mirthful, sharp, frenetic, and manages to eclipse the season premieres that precede it. In short, Doc Hammer and Jackson Publick (and all of the fine folks involved with the series) nailed it.

The premiere certainly left me hungry for more. Just a few more days until Season V officially premieres. Hold on, it'll be worth it.

Been waiting years for this. Venture is one of those shows I can go without watching for years, then pick up where I left off and still enjoy it as if I never stopped.

So glad they're getting another season. Hopefully this season has a bit more Brock. Love the way his character has developed over time.

Been waiting years for this. Venture is one of those shows I can go without watching for years, then pick up where I left off and still enjoy it as if I never stopped.

So glad they're getting another season. Hopefully this season has a bit more Brock. Love the way his character has developed over time.

They're actually getting two. Season 6 was greenlit at the same time as 5.

A limited edition print was handed out to all attendees. I believe The Alamo Drafthouse screenings offered an exclusive screenprint, while the other two venues had the character relationship chart (seen on adultswim.com) as prints.

Below are a few observations (bereft of spoilers) from the screening I attended.

• "Operation: P.R.O.M." played first, then the debut of "What Color is your Cleansuit?" followed. Both were uncensored. Hearing each account of what a "Rusty Venture" entails was just as humorous without the bleeps.

• It's not dissimilar to Season 4 finale in that it shares the same running time (just under and hour). This doesn't detract from its pacing, which is lean and feels just as brisk as the show's usual half hour fare.

• It picks up nearly right after the preceding episode. View "Operation: P.R.O.M." if you haven't done so since its debut nearly three years ago.

• It's mirthful, sharp, frenetic, and manages to eclipse the season premieres that precede it. In short, Doc Hammer and Jackson Publick (and all of the fine folks involved with the series) nailed it.

The premiere certainly left me hungry for more. Just a few more days until Season V officially premieres. Hold on, it'll be worth it.
So jealous. The Brooklyn one sold out so fast... I've been trying to Stub Hub tickets every day with no luck... Anyone going tonight?

B33

Banned
We're also going to be getting a 60-90 minute special to bridge the next two seasons.

Jackson Publick said:
We're also looking ahead to next season. Doc and I have big plans for season 6 and are champing at the bit to get started writing it. But first we have to write the script for our proposed long-form Venture Bros. special. We've got a pretty epic story planned, involving an epic number of cast members in an epic setting, so it's a pretty epic task ahead of us. The story will bridge seasons 5 & 6, so our mission is to tie up a lot of threads from season 5 (and 4, and 3…) and start a few new ones in the process. The sooner we write that, the sooner we'll write season 6--and the sooner we do all this writing, the sooner we'll be back on the air. My hope, as always, is to tighten that interminable gap between seasons--because I don't like waiting to show you new Venture Bros. any more than you like waiting to see new Venture Bros. So wish us luck…

In short, they're writing the 60-90 minute special to air before Season 6 proper in conjunction with the 10 episodes that will follow.

Ideally, I think we might see this in late 2014 with the following season in 2015, but I've been burned before in my attempts to speculate when the show will return. We'll just have to wait and see.

We're also going to be getting a 60-90 minute special to bridge the next two seasons.

In short, they're writing the 60-90 minute special to air before Season 6 proper in conjunction with the 10 episodes that will follow.

Ideally, I think we might see this in late 2014 with the following season in 2015, but I've been burned before in my attempts to speculate when the show will return. We'll just have to wait and see.
I hope I still remember what the Venture Bros. actually is by the time this actually airs... Heh.

Is Operation P.R.O.M. streaming anywhere? I never did pick up the season 4 blu-ray because of complaints of quality when it came out.

Tokubetsu

It's kinda crazy to think that VBros has been airing since 2004 (03 if you count Pilot) and we're only just hitting season five.

Rewatching some old episodes in preparation and I kind of miss the old monarch. They've made him a little too badass recently. I miss the kind of guy who sends an all out attack against the wrong address. Or the guy who thought that patterning himself after the Monarch Butterfly was in any way intimidating.

Acid08

Banned
Rewatching some old episodes in preparation and I kind of miss the old monarch. They've made him a little too badass recently. I miss the kind of guy who sends an all out attack against the wrong address. Or the guy who thought that patterning himself after the Monarch Butterfly was in any way intimidating.
Well it makes sense that he would eventually stop being total shit. The rest of the characters, even Dean, have similarly grown.

I feel like the Monarch's change was a little too abrupt from a viewer's perspective, though I guess prison will do that do a "man." The other characters have earned their growth because we've mostly seen it happen on screen.

I thought they made a good point with him in Season 3 (4?) which was that all of the guild villains are kind of sad losers but the Monarch is the real deal. He's not doing it for show. He was arching Doc before he knew the guild existed. He's just full of hate and was born to do this crap.

bndadm

I haven't seen season 3 yet (on it's way in the mail now), but I was wondering if the show has done anything similar as in similar 1 where it peppered these random images/bits of dialogue that got people wondering, with the payoff in the season finale?

Season 2's premiere was on the level of 24 season 1's finale in that I was incredibly floored and impressed from both an entertainment and a story standpoint. Still feel it hasn't been topped (personally), though everything's been great.

"You look like Toby Maguire...in a bad hulk costume."

Begins right after Operation P.R.O.M.? What about the Halloween special?

tkscz

I always thought they made it pretty clear she was not the mother.

How? They keep throwing in evidence she is. From Killinger trying to get them back together to the memories of Billy, it's obvious she is the mom. She's just nuts, and not really suited for motherhood (though Rusty isn't much of a parent either).

Musolf815

So. Pumped. Anybody got any crazy theories? The Venture fansite I go to picked apart the trailer, noticing that
apparently Molotov is a SPHINX cyborg now. The previews make it seem like Mol's SPHINX will face off against the OSI. Where that leaves Gary, who's in SPHINX gear in a lot of the clips, remains to be seen. My hope is that he's a double agent, spying on Molotov for OSI.

tkscz

So. Pumped. Anybody got any crazy theories? The Venture fansite I go to picked apart the trailer, noticing that
apparently Molotov is a SPHINX cyborg now. The previews make it seem like Mol's SPHINX will face off against the OSI. Where that leaves Gary, who's in SPHINX gear in a lot of the clips, remains to be seen. My hope is that he's a double agent, spying on Molotov for OSI.

I don't think
that the armored woman is Mol. I honestly think they will keep the "Mol's dead" thing going for a bit, until they reveal that Monstro is alive

Other than that, I'm hoping for
Dean to take up the Super Science job and become better than both Rusty and J.J. Kid's been through a lot, even finding out he is a clone

B33

Banned

I've been mulling over this thought since I viewed the premiere.

"What Color is Your Cleansuit" was the last thing penned in the production process. "The Halloween Special" is technically the fourth episode, but the creators knew that it'd air before the rest of the season, and intentionally created it to try to obviate dead space.

I'm going to have to view it again before I can say for sure, but I suspect that
Dean may know Hank and him are clones in the premiere
, which isn't quite sound based on the way events unfold. It's due to one line in particular that I'll have to hear again.

If this is indeed the case, the timeline below may suffice.

Operation: P.R.O.M. > What Color is Your Cleansuit opening > The Halloween Special > The remainder of What Color is Your Cleansuit?

Regardless, I'd recommend viewing Operation: P.R.O.M. AND The Halloween Special, just to ensure you're caught up to speed, as I think Doc and Jackson penned the premiere with the expectation that viewers had already seen The Halloween Special.

I've been mulling over this thought since I viewed the premiere.

"What Color is Your Cleansuit" was the last thing penned in the production process. "The Halloween Special" is technically the fourth episode, but the creators knew that it'd air before the rest of the season, and intentionally created it to try to obviate dead space.

I'm going to have to view it again before I can say for sure, but I suspect that
Dean may know Hank and him are clones in the premiere
, which isn't quite sound based on the way events unfold. It's due to one line in particular that I'll have to hear again.

If this is indeed the case, the timeline below may suffice.

Operation: P.R.O.M. > What Color is Your Cleansuit opening > The Halloween Special > The remainder of What Color is Your Cleansuit?

Regardless, I'd recommend viewing Operation: P.R.O.M. AND The Halloween Special, just to ensure you're caught up to speed, as I think Doc and Jackson penned the premiere with the expectation that viewers had already seen The Halloween Special.
Is there even a way to watch the Halloween Special at the moment? I went to AdultSwim.com hoping they'd be smart enough to have it up, even as a Gold episode, but no such luck.

B33

Banned
Is there even a way to watch the Halloween Special at the moment? I went to AdultSwim.com hoping they'd be smart enough to have it up, even as a Gold episode, but no such luck.

It's on iTunes and Amazon Video.

As of now, Netflix only has the first season on its streaming service.

You might be able to find the special on VOD, depending on your TV service provider.

It's on iTunes and Amazon Video.

As of now, Netflix only has the first season on its streaming service.

You might be able to find the special on VOD, depending on your TV service provider.
Ya know, I always forget about Amazon and iTunes. Thanks! I'll check VOD too. I have all the other seasons on DVD / Blu-Ray, as any self-respecting Venture fan should!

B.K.

If anyone missed it before, Operation P.R.O.M. is on Adult swim tonight at 1:00am.

That Halloween episode wasn't really a special. That was the fourth episode of season five.

Don't hit me! I only have season 2 :/
I'm sure you'll rectify that eventually!
The season 4 DVD release was garbage.
You know, I've heard a lot of complaints about that set but had no issues with the blu-ray. Was it only with the DVD version? I'm a pretty big videophile and a pretty big nit-picker...
If anyone missed it before, Operation P.R.O.M. is on Adult swim tonight at 1:00am.
Everyone set your DVRs! Thanks for the heads up!

B33

Banned
That Halloween episode wasn't really a special. That was the fourth episode of season five.

Technically, yes, it was created with the other batch of episodes for this upcoming season. It's labeled the fourth episode of the production season five.

However, there's a distinction between a production and broadcast season. It's honestly just a special. It won't be a part of this initial broadcast of Season V and there won't be a shirt design for it in the 2013 edition of the Shirt Club.

Yes, it's considered canon, but Doc and Jackson made it as a way to obviate dead space during the interminable waits between seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom