• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Verge] Windows 11 is now the most popular OS for PC gaming

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
Waiting till October 2025, then switch to W11 or Linux.

Hope it eventually gets a few years of free extra support like WinXP though.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I can't remember - did Windows 11 have a "lite" version without all the usual Microsoft garbage similar to how Windows 10 had a stripped down variant?

I can't remember - did Windows 11 have a "lite" version without all the usual Microsoft garbage similar to how Windows 10 had a stripped down variant?
No. There is only Windows 11 - Super Bloated Edition. You can look into things like Tiny11 for a custom, stripped down version, or the various free tools available to easily strip down Windows 11.

Unable to eject external USB drive because something is using it.
Really Windows? What is that something? Tell me.
Otherwise
Yoink!

edit-Does the Dolphin file manager do this?

Last edited:

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
W11 really sucked for the first year and I went back to 10. Went back to W11 in late 2022 and have been using it since. I could never go back to 10.

People are just so stubborn and don’t like change. Remember when people hated 10 and refused to move on from 7? Now people don’t want to leave 10. Next they’ll be saying how 11 is the best and that they don’t want to move to 12 when it’s released.

Linux has improved quite a bit and is become more viable but it’ll be a long time before I could see myself completely ditching Windows for it. I’ve tried Linux again but there are still far too many issues to make it my only OS. Say what you want about Windows but it’s easy to get things working. With Linux you still need to spend way too much time searching for fixes to do basic things.

nkarafo

Going to Windows 11 after being used to 10 is very annoying. Too many things are hidden behind additional clicks. And there are many changes for the sake of change.

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah mine doesn't support it lol, gonna try the USB method mentioned above.

Not sure if this is the same, but you can download the Windows 11 iso...

....and use Rufus to make the installation USB and remove the TPM requirement.

create-a-bootable-usb-drive-using-rufus-2.jpg

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Just got into the Windows Insider Program and I am now about to install 24H2 or Build 26100.560 :messenger_loudly_crying:
I can't wait to taste the gains. I'm going to go ahead and update my bios, too, while I am at it! :messenger_fire:

Z O N E

with new hardware purchases and stuff, it will gradually increase its share.

The bigger question is whether it is the year of Linux or not?

Eh, Linux will never overtake Windows unfortunately.

Your average person wants to boot up their PC/Laptop and have everything working without dealing with anything else.

It's the same reason people still use Google Chrome even if it's worse than the other top browsers. People don't care and will use what's most popular and convenient for them.

clintar

Nah, while Linux is going to continue chipping away and increasing market share, it’s generally a bit too complex for most users, especially if something goes wrong or some hardware isn’t supported and you have to go into terminals and/or start editing .ini files.

Like sure, I can load Linux Mint on regular user PC and if they mainly use cloud, that’s fine. But as soon as they need to say open some piece of software that’s not on Linux or even do light troubleshooting it’s not going to go well.

It will increase its market share though, just not to the point it’s “year of Linux desktop” any time soon.
sounds like windows fixes

winjer

Gold Member
Not sure if this is the same, but you can download the Windows 11 iso...

....and use Rufus to make the installation USB and remove the TPM requirement.

create-a-bootable-usb-drive-using-rufus-2.jpg

Just one thing to consider. The latest reports indicate that MS is cracking down on these bypasses.
So there is a chance that a future Windows update might break an installation.
It's not guaranteed, either way, but it's a possibility that people have to be aware.

Topher

Gold Member
Just one thing to consider. The latest reports indicate that MS is cracking down on these bypasses.
So there is a chance that a future Windows update might break an installation.
It's not guaranteed, either way, but it's a possibility that people have to be aware.

Good to know

daffyduck

If you want to upgrade just rufus it. It doesn't seem like they're going to relax the requirements anymore so using rufus to make a USB drive with the ISO allows you to bypass the requirements and install it.
Will an installation using that method still receive updates?

M$ threatens unsupported upgrades are ineligible for updates. The only thing “unsupported” on the machine in question is a CPU just outside the eligibility window, so I’ll take my chances on that part.

Astray

Yeah the RUFUS method was mentioned earlier in the topic and that seems like the only thing left for me to do. Gonna give it a shot soon.
RUFUS is great, I use it for work quite a bit.

Should go easily enough, just make sure to back up your stuff before you do it.

That isn’t true at all.

I've had that happen with me at some point earlier this year with a KB update that was marked as broken. Every time I tried installing it, the update would fail.

Eventually I think it did work or MS just redesigned the update and pushed it as something else which did install no issue. What I'm saying is, for regular reasons Windows Update won't push for updates that can break your system unless you went out of your way to allow that.

...or maybe you just have a bad system or custom-built rig where certain settings at the BIOS/UEFI level aren't set up to prevent installing a bad update (or prebuilts with an OEM who has a bad custom update utility).

Mithos

Gold Member

rm082e

Anyone feel strongly Microsoft is likely to punt their EOL date for Windows 10 into 2026?

I work for a small company (40 employees) and nearly everyone is still on Windows 10. I asked at our IT meeting yesterday if they had a plan for getting everyone on 11 by this time next year. The IT guys had a real aloof attitude about it. They seem convinced that either 12 will come out and supersede 11 (like 10 did for 8) and we can just jump straight to 12, or that MS will push the EOL for Win 10 back by at least another year.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I only use W10 as a games launcher for my dedicated gaming pc. Is the move to W11 worth it?

winjer

Gold Member
Anyone feel strongly Microsoft is likely to punt their EOL date for Windows 10 into 2026?

I work for a small company (40 employees) and nearly everyone is still on Windows 10. I asked at our IT meeting yesterday if they had a plan for getting everyone on 11 by this time next year. The IT guys had a real aloof attitude about it. They seem convinced that either 12 will come out and supersede 11 (like 10 did for 8) and we can just jump straight to 12, or that MS will push the EOL for Win 10 back by at least another year.

I really doubt it. MS wants everyone to switch to 11 and EOL in 2025 will speed that up.
I suppose your company uses the Pro version. But there is an even better version of Windows 10 and 11, for companies. It's called LTSC, and it's the perfect Windows.
And for that version EOL will be different.
Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021 (version 21H2): Reaches end of servicing on January 12, 2027.
Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC: Reaches extended support end date on January 13, 2032.

12 was renamed to Windows 11 24H2.
So don't expect a new Windows 12 anytime soon.

rm082e

I really doubt it. MS wants everyone to switch to 11 and EOL in 2025 will speed that up.
I suppose your company uses the Pro version. But there is an even better version of Windows 10 and 11, for companies. It's called LTSC, and it's the perfect Windows.
And for that version EOL will be different.
Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021 (version 21H2): Reaches end of servicing on January 12, 2027.
Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC: Reaches extended support end date on January 13, 2032.

12 was renamed to Windows 11 24H2.
So don't expect a new Windows 12 anytime soon.

I think we are too small for the LTSC versions, and they've already got a Win 11 image they tested out on one machine ready to go. It's more about the IT guys having to upgrade the machines that are new enough for 11, and spend the money to replace the older machines that aren't.

I missed the detail about 12 becoming 11 24H2. Thank you.

simpatico

Gold Member
W11 really sucked for the first year and I went back to 10. Went back to W11 in late 2022 and have been using it since. I could never go back to 10.

People are just so stubborn and don’t like change. Remember when people hated 10 and refused to move on from 7? Now people don’t want to leave 10. Next they’ll be saying how 11 is the best and that they don’t want to move to 12 when it’s released.

Linux has improved quite a bit and is become more viable but it’ll be a long time before I could see myself completely ditching Windows for it. I’ve tried Linux again but there are still far too many issues to make it my only OS. Say what you want about Windows but it’s easy to get things working. With Linux you still need to spend way too much time searching for fixes to do basic things.
You forgot to list the reasons why 11 is better than 10. Personally, I plan to either stay on 10 and limit my use of that system to gaming only, or dual boot Steam Deck OS and Win 10 for the games that don’t run well in Linux. I don’t see a path for me to Windows 11. If Steam OS existed when Windows 10 launched, I probably would have made the move then. There is nothing in Windows for me aside from Direct X

Top Bottom