• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verizon Droid X by Motorola |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
well its problem time. just when i was getting fission and everything working right what happens?

my camera doesn't seem to working properly, every time i start up the camera i get a black screen, same goes for video recording. im guessing when the phone dropped last night something knocked out of place:(

womp

NightHawk17 said:
well its problem time. just when i was getting fission and everything working right what happens?

my camera doesn't seem to working properly, every time i start up the camera i get a black screen, same goes for video recording. im guessing when the phone dropped last night something knocked out of place:(

Damn...Sorry. :(

I was just about to say that the camera fixes were completely incorporated into the latest version of Fission - Then I read you had dropped the phone.

I feel for you....

womp said:
Damn...Sorry. :(

I was just about to say that the camera fixes were completely incorporated into the latest version of Fission - Then I read you had dropped the phone.

I feel for you....
wait there was a known camera bug similar to what i had described cause if so there still may be a chance left my X. I'm gonna give the new version a try and see what happens, i have a replacement coming but dont wanna switch my X for a refurbished one if i can help it

edit:didnt do a thing, guess ill just go with the replacement as planned. im thinking hard about whether or not i should root the replacement after what has happened:(

So.... I've been out of the rooting / ROM game since I gave my wife my Droid 1 back in July. What's the current situation on DX? Last I checked the e-fuse was giving everyone problems. Has that been solved yet? Any Gingerbread running so far? I've been pretty tired of the Blur / bloatware induced lag so I think I'm ready. :D

womp

JLateralus said:
So.... I've been out of the rooting / ROM game since I gave my wife my Droid 1 back in July. What's the current situation on DX? Last I checked the e-fuse was giving everyone problems. Has that been solved yet? Any Gingerbread running so far? I've been pretty tired of the Blur / bloatware induced lag so I think I'm ready. :D

Download Z4Root over on the XDA forums. Snag Koush's Bootstrap Recovery on the Marketplace. Install ROM. Enjoy.

Team DeFuse's Fission ROM is my vanilla Android, Blur-less experience choice at the moment. Runs great and makes the X look how the Droid 1 did out of the box. :D

womp said:
Download Z4Root over on the XDA forums. Snag Koush's Bootstrap Recovery on the Marketplace. Install ROM. Enjoy.

Team DeFuse's Fission ROM is my vanilla Android, Blur-less experience choice at the moment. Runs great and makes the X look how the Droid 1 did out of the box. :D

Should I use something like Titanium Backup, or will the Bootstrap Recovery do that part for me?

NightHawk17 said:
wait there was a known camera bug similar to what i had described cause if so there still may be a chance left my X. I'm gonna give the new version a try and see what happens, i have a replacement coming but dont wanna switch my X for a refurbished one if i can help it

edit:didnt do a thing, guess ill just go with the replacement as planned. im thinking hard about whether or not i should root the replacement after what has happened:(

I work for Verizon and unfortunately the Refurbished ones really are that, refurbished, regardless of what they tell you at the store. People have consistent problems and maybe go through 4-5 phones easily. I hope you don't have any issues with your replacement because it can be a bitch once you go through so many.

womp

JLateralus said:
Should I use something like Titanium Backup, or will the Bootstrap Recovery do that part for me?

In the recovery you can do a Nandroid backup. That is basically like running an old PC app called Ghost where it saves an 'impression' of your phone, like a restore point, that you can reload later.

Otherwise yes, Titanium Backup is also something you should do as well. If anything it can speed up the re installation process.

Devil Theory said:
I work for Verizon and unfortunately the Refurbished ones really are that, refurbished, regardless of what they tell you at the store. People have consistent problems and maybe go through 4-5 phones easily. I hope you don't have any issues with your replacement because it can be a bitch once you go through so many.
so far the refurbished unti isnt that bad, but im paranoid to root my device this time. one day ill do it again but not for awhile:lol

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Very happy with Fission so far, even donated $5.

viakado said:
have you tried z4root?
one-touch root/unroot.
yup, did it yesterday. and it worked, but then installed a rom and now the phone wont go past the boot screen:( another replacement on the way. i'm not doing anything till i read up even more about roms and rooting now. thinking about getting an iphone to hold myself over till the bionic comes out

Sarye

NightHawk17 said:
yup, did it yesterday. and it worked, but then installed a rom and now the phone wont go past the boot screen:( another replacement on the way. i'm not doing anything till i read up even more about roms and rooting now. thinking about getting an iphone to hold myself over till the bionic comes out

But the bionic comes out March 1st. You have the money to buy an iphone to hold you over for just 6 weeks?

Futureman

NightHawk17 said:

What ROM did this happen with? Still on Fission?

womp

NightHawk17 said:

The phone should be fine...Sounds like a boot loop. Are you frozen at the Droid logo/Eye animation?

Turn your phone off, hold down the home key and then hold down the power button. When the Motorola logo shows up, release the power button but keep holding the home key. Now there should be an android with an exclamation mark. Press the search button. Do a wipe of the data/cache and reboot.

I am looking at a Droid X on Verizon and one of my friends recently purchased one my At&t contract is up next month. Would you recommend this phone or hold out for the Droid Bionic ?

awilliams213 said:
I am looking at a Droid X on Verizon and one of my friends recently purchased one my At&t contract is up next month. Would you recommend this phone or hold out for the Droid Bionic ?
Do you care whether or not your phone looks cool? That's my only beef with the Bionic. It looks ugly next to its sexy predecessors.

killakiz

awilliams213 said:
Thunderbold does simultaneous Voice + Data, if you care about that.

Thanks I didn't know about the Thunderbolt I am going to pickup a used Droid X and use it until the spring when the Verizon Android 4G's are available.

VALIS

After two years with an iPhone 3GS, it broke last week. Researched all sorts of Android and Win 7 phones, plus the iphone 4, and decided on the Droid X. Seems like one of the most hardcore phones out there right now in terms of screen size and features. Plus, 30 bucks via Amazon Wireless?!? Goddamn.

Really looking forward to getting it next week. I still have an iPad and a touch 3g for my iOS games, but I'm definitely not going to miss the walled garden iPhone experience.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
VALIS said:
After two years with an iPhone 3GS, it broke last week. Researched all sorts of Android and Win 7 phones, plus the iphone 4, and decided on the Droid X. Seems like one of the most hardcore phones out there right now in terms of screen size and features. Plus, 30 bucks via Amazon Wireless?!? Goddamn.

Really looking forward to getting it next week. I still have an iPad and a touch 3g for my iOS games, but I'm definitely not going to miss the walled garden iPhone experience.

Once you get it you'll never look back. It's crazy how much more streamlined your mobile experience can get when you can customize the UI to pretty much any way you want.

Sigh still have not installed a custom ROM and now something is causing random reboots (I think it might be my launcher).

Anyway, currently running z4root (this thing takes forever) and will be installing a ROM after that. I think I'm going to grab Fission, but does anyone have any opinion on Liberty? Both look pretty good.

Doesn't appear that any of them are running 2.3 yet, right?

snacknuts

we all knew her
JLateralus said:
Sigh still have not installed a custom ROM and now something is causing random reboots (I think it might be my launcher).

Anyway, currently running z4root (this thing takes forever) and will be installing a ROM after that. I think I'm going to grab Fission, but does anyone have any opinion on Liberty? Both look pretty good.

Doesn't appear that any of them are running 2.3 yet, right?

I just got my Droid X this week after having a D1 for a year. I ran Liberty for the first couple days, but I didn't like it. I have had Fission since then and have been much happier with it. YMMV. And no, neither of them are running 2.3, although both have pieces of 2.3 included.

Just have to say - holy shit this is awesome. Why the hell didn't I do this earlier? No more inane lag, no more way random FC, no reboots so far... makes me hate Blur even more.

Thaedolus

JLateralus said:
Just have to say - holy shit this is awesome. Why the hell didn't I do this earlier? No more inane lag, no more way random FC, no reboots so far... makes me hate Blur even more.

Word. Fission makes my X so zippy that when my girlfriend started messing around with my phone the other night, she immediately asked me to root her Droid 2. Anyone know how the results go for those?

Oozer3993

I ordered the Motorola car dock a couple days ago and it just arrived. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, but it seems to be sturdy, and my phone is held very securely.

I'm thinking about finally taking the plunge and putting Fission on my phone. Does it work with the car dock, i.e. with Fission, will the Car Dock app pop up automatically when I slot the phone in?

Oozer3993 said:
I ordered the Motorola car dock a couple days ago and it just arrived. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, but it seems to be sturdy, and my phone is held very securely.

I'm thinking about finally taking the plunge and putting Fission on my phone. Does it work with the car dock, i.e. with Fission, will the Car Dock app pop up automatically when I slot the phone in?

Yes. I used both car and desktop dock today. I prefer the launchers in Fission too.

womp

Glad to see all the Fission love. 2.5.7 has been the most stable, best performing ROM I have ever used and even though 2.6.1 is on the Fission Manager I am too paranoid to jinx upgrading. heh.

Liberty is beautifully packaged but ultimately its daily random reboots and screen wake issues were just too much for me to handle.

womp said:
Glad to see all the Fission love. 2.5.7 has been the most stable, best performing ROM I have ever used and even though 2.6.1 is on the Fission Manager I am too paranoid to jinx upgrading. heh.

Liberty is beautifully packaged but ultimately its daily random reboots and screen wake issues were just too much for me to handle.

I'm on 2.6.1 and it's good, but I think I'm going to flash my wife's DX and keep it on 2.5.7. She has a lower tolerance for instability than I do. I couldn't really find a changelog anywhere for it.

womp

JLateralus said:
I'm on 2.6.1 and it's good, but I think I'm going to flash my wife's DX and keep it on 2.5.7. She has a lower tolerance for instability than I do. I couldn't really find a changelog anywhere for it.

Minor changes to the settings options from what I understand...Not much more. I did finally have an instance where my phone went and shut off and I had to battery pull to power back on last night but that was after 80+hours of usage. I guess I jinxed myself. hehe.

Initially after coming back to Fission after trying Liberty 1.5 (Which rebooted once a day and annoyed the hell out of me) I had 92 hours before I manually rebooted to update some settings. Those numbers impress me enough though.

You can check your uptime under settings - about phone - status.

kinggroin

Banned
ALaz502 said:
So what's the consensus for the most stable feature rich custom mod for the Droid X? Something comparable to Cyanogen.

For stabilty I would go with gummyjar or fission. For features, liberty is the best. A blend of both, Apex.

kinggroin said:
For stabilty I would go with gummyjar or fission. For features, liberty is the best. A blend of both, Apex.

Thanks man. One more thing. Is Z4Root legitimate? Does it work with System Version 2.3.340 without a hitch?

ALaz502 said:
Thanks man. One more thing. Is Z4Root legitimate? Does it work with System Version 2.3.340 without a hitch?

Yep... I just used Z4Root for the first time last week on two different DXs. The only thing - the first time I ran it on both of them it just kind of hung up and stayed on the rooting process. I then rebooted the phone, tried again, and it worked just fine.

With my Droid X, everything is basic. All I've downloaded is just apps off the marketplace. Anyone recommend anything? Performance enhancing? Or way to change the look of things? Anything!

kinggroin

Banned
Square Triangle said:
With my Droid X, everything is basic. All I've downloaded is just apps off the marketplace. Anyone recommend anything? Performance enhancing? Or way to change the look of things? Anything!

Download either Go Launcher or ADW for a faster, smoother interface. Root your phone with z4root (it will hang on first try, just restart the phone and try again), then either get a custom rom or start removing the Motorola blur apps. Oh..and make sure you get rom manager if you DO want to mess with custom roms. Makes life so much easier. Don't forget to do a backup before making any major system changes. Titanium backup works fine for that, or you can do it manually from the recovery console through rom manager.

womp

Even though the dev stopped development of it, I still prefer Zeam as a replacement launcher. Tiny as hell footprint without all the extraneous features. Does well enough with the basics.

I say that as a launcher pro plus license buyer too. :)

Try em all though and enjoy.

womp said:
Even though the dev stopped development of it, I still prefer Zeam as a replacement launcher. Tiny as hell footprint without all the extraneous features. Does well enough with the basics.

I say that as a launcher pro plus license buyer too. :)

Try em all though and enjoy.

I haven't heard of Zeam before... I'll have to check it out. I found Launcher Pro to be bloated and buggy, so I switched to ADW and then that was buggy too. Running the stock froyo launcher from Fission now.

But anyway yeah, YMMV. I know alot of people that still swear by Launcher Pro.

can someone explain step by step how i can root my Droid X? pretend that i'm 10 years old.

i have z4root on my phone and RootMyX2 on my computer running windows XP. from what i understand, i have to root my phone using z4 and then use RMX2 to.. do something. and from there i can install custom roms? and that means i can do more with my phone and/or get snappier touch screen performance? i download these roms where? i'm really frustrated with the input lag on this thing and it sounds like doing this can speed things up significantly..

if not, can anyone recommend a good Youtube for dummies or something?

blame space:

1) Copy z4root apk to your sd card.

2) Install and run z4root (choose the option to root permenately)

3) Download Bootstrap Recovery for Droid X from market ($2.00)

4) Download your Rom and save to sd card (I used Fission from teamdefuse.com)

5) Allow Bootstrap Recovery root access and it will reboot you into a recovery menu

6) Make a backup (its an option in this menu)

7) Wipe cache and data (also both options)

8) Choose option to load rom and you can opt to pick one off sd card. Pick the rom you downloaded in step 4.

That's really about it!

CRS

My iPod died last week so is there an app where I can stream music from my Mac to my Droid X? I really miss my iPod and this is as close as I can probably get until I save enough for another iPod.

blame space said:
i successfully installed fission! i lost all my contacts and really miss the swype keyboard, but everything is FAST!

I believe I read something about getting your contacts back if you used the moto backup thing. Mine were stored with Google so they moved over when I first signed in.

Second, if you donate $5 at teamdefuse.com they will give you the Fission rom manager. This let's you change certain Apps (such as stock gallery vs 3d one, moto music vs stock, etc) or upgrade the rom right from there. More pertinent to you though is that it will install the DX swype for you too.

ChldRebelSoldr said:
My iPod died last week so is there an app where I can stream music from my Mac to my Droid X? I really miss my iPod and this is as close as I can probably get until I save enough for another iPod.

Check out iSyncr on the Market. It doesn't stream, but is probably as close as you'll get to playing nice with iTunes.

Actually check out DoubleTwist too. That may do more now... it's been a while since I looked at it as I got an iPod for music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom