• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vertical stacked screens good 2D sidescrollers?

I think it's gonna work.
With both screens scrolling it's gonna look like one big sweeping area.
Plus it's cool that you can see what's going on up in the clouds :)

base01.jpg

base02.jpg
ss05a.jpg
base03.jpg

base04.jpg

base05.jpg
ss05b.jpg
base06.jpg
base11.jpg

base07.jpg
base13.jpg

impirius

I just wonder if they're going to account for the 'space' between the two screens, or if you could have, say, the top half of a bat on the top screen and the bottom half on the bottom screen.

Arcticfox

impirius said:
I just wonder if they're going to account for the 'space' between the two screens, or if you could have, say, the top half of a bat on the top screen and the bottom half on the bottom screen.
They would have to ignore the space between the screens. It might not look perfect, but dieing because you hit an enemy hidden between the two screens would suck.

lexi

Banned
In that screen the blank space appears to be actual game-space, as the cloud at the top of the bottom-screen is cut-off and is not showing on the top screen.

Early days, though. I'm not too concerned.

Xellos

Is the Yohsi game actually doing this? That's neat! Hadn't thought of this before but DS could also help with Capcom's VS-style games. All that jumping into the stratosphere always threw me off in the arcades but DS could just use the extra screen.

Vark

its just liking having dual monitors... i have a good 3" between one screen and the next but mentally when you have a window spanning the two you just sort of paste them together.

obviously you try to not having anything on the dividing line itself and try to use both screens individually, but if something crosses the two its not that huge a deal.

This type of setup would work wonders for vertical scrolling shooting games as well, like Axelay or Raiden. I guess that's one of the reasons developers like the Nintendo DS so much. There are almost endless options on how to use the 2 screens.

aoi tsuki

jenov4 said:
I'd rather see a map or an inventory screen instead. :lol
Ditto, especially if the alternative was playing something like a shooter. i guess i'll have to use one to actually know, but the gap between screens is too great to focus on both at the same time, especially for something as fast-paced as shooter.

Sanxion had two displays, top part was in a different scale and showed upcoming attacking formations little bit in advance. Personally I found it quite useless but I guess you could improve the concept...

sanxion_05.gif

I think it would work well with a shooter. One of the early DS tech demos was the air hockey one and it moved fast. Bottom screen was 1/2 of the table, top screen the opponent's half. I can see all sorts of uses for the screens...

The Metroid example is actually really cool. Imagine playing a game where the bottom screen was used for inventory or whatever, but when you got to the boss, WHAM, it's 2 screens tall. What's nice is that the screens can be used for different things during different parts of the game. I'm expecting some really cool stuff to come out over the next couple years.

aoi tsuki

Craig Majaski said:
I think it would work well with a shooter. One of the early DS tech demos was the air hockey one and it moved fast. Bottom screen was 1/2 of the table, top screen the opponent's half. I can see all sorts of uses for the screens...

The Metroid example is actually really cool. Imagine playing a game where the bottom screen was used for inventory or whatever, but when you got to the boss, WHAM, it's 2 screens tall. What's nice is that the screens can be used for different things during different parts of the game. I'm expecting some really cool stuff to come out over the next couple years.
i'd imagine the Air Hockey demo would be easier since you're just following a puck, which is a rather large object. In a shooter, your ship is likely to get lost in enemy fire from one screen, then there's enemy fire creeping up on you from the other.

But i'm also excited about some of the possible uses of the dual screens, especially if they're both used for gameplay.

Craig Majaski said:

I really like the idea of shifting to a two screen tall display for boss segments in games like Metroid.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member

Ditto!

8bit

Knows the Score
Project Midway said:
Sanxion had two displays, top part was in a different scale and showed upcoming attacking formations little bit in advance. Personally I found it quite useless but I guess you could improve the concept...

sanxion_05.gif

Hubbard!

lockii said:
In that screen the blank space appears to be actual game-space, as the cloud at the top of the bottom-screen is cut-off and is not showing on the top screen.

Early days, though. I'm not too concerned.

I think your right. Theres definitely a space between screens. At least it still gives you a preview of what enemies are coming.

Top Bottom