• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Very LTTP: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opto

Banned
Episode 6

Edit: I just decided to check out the english dub of the first episode. Holy fuck. I'm not one of those "super nippon seiyuu glorious" types. If a dub is good, it's good. But this isn't good. This is god awful. It sounds like amateur hour or something.

It gets waaaaay better. I can't say exactly where the English VA cast finds their groove, but they do find it.

co1onel

I'm actually pretty confused by this - the second half of the series is so out there, I'm not sure how anyone could say it was repetitive
Sorry I'm talking about the angel fights in the first half. Guess I wasn't clear.
The official title is 3.0+1.0 and its still in pre production.

The .0 movies are their own story, like Brotherhood is to Full metal alchemist. Right now we have 2 movies focused on action, which hardcore fans hate for not being 2deep4me enough, and the third movie is hated for taking your expectations crushing them and proceed to mindFuck you with symbolism and cryptic dialogue.

I personally love them, they have amazing visuals, great designs and they make you theorize to fill in the blanks, which is a
trademark of the series

Space battle in 3.0 was the shit
I want to watch the third movie to see what all the talk is about, but having just seen the show I'm not so sure I can sit through the first two rebuilds.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I'm not so sure I can sit through the first two rebuilds.
The first two films IMO are very creative takes on re-imagining the series while making it appeal to a broader audience somehow. This is especially so with the second one considering how much it (refreshingly) diverges significantly from the original plot but still manages to retain both coherency and appeal to the fans.

Unfortunately, Anno pretty much went back to crazy with his trademark hijinks again once we got to the 3rd one. I know that some people liked it, but I was personally disappointed we didn't continue the path that 2.0 paved.

Philippo

Man, i've watched the whole series a couple of times through the years, and the 3 Rebuilds recently, and I STILL DON'T KNOW JACK SHIT ABOUT THE PLOT.
Like, seriously, what the hell it's going on?

Misato's the best girl, but Asuka's the one so annoying you can't live stay without her.

CassSept

First half of the series is pretty generic. Then it starts getting weird and the final 1/3 and EoE is what Evangelion is famous for. Great that you made this thread to chronicle your first time experience with Eva!

Xenoboy

I finished the show last week and it was quite the trip.
I don't get the
hate that Shinji gets.
The ending was also too much and EoE was even more so.
Rei is da best character, just so you know.

random25

Rei is da best character, just so you know.

giphy.gif

cajunator

Banned
Well this is gonna be a great ride for you.
Eva is pretty bizarre but its a classic for a reason.
It is also the most heavily marketed anime series ever, which is why its so popular.

vato_loco

You'll enjoy the rest of the series, trust me. It gets deeper and more complex as the series progresses. The last two episodes are good on their own right, it's just that they're weird as hell. Watching End of Evangelion will give you a bit more closure but it's still quite WTF in its own right.

Revival movies are AMAZING. Except for 3.33. That one is AMAZING visually but sucks dick.

Cedric

I also started watching this anime about 3 weeks ago, I'm on episode 23 I think? I'm enjoying it, but I really don't understand how everyone likes Asuka. The English dub probably isn't helping, but I find her very annoying. Matter of fact, I don't like Rei much either, the way she speaks is annoying as well. Shinji is actually the best out of those three in my opinion.

harSon

Banned
I also started watching this anime about 3 weeks ago, I'm on episode 23 I think? I'm enjoying it, but I really don't understand how everyone likes Asuka. The English dub probably isn't helping, but I find her very annoying. Matter of fact, I don't like Rei much either, the way she speaks is annoying as well. Shinji is actually the best out of those three in my opinion.

Shinji is the worst piece of shit to ever be created when pen hits paper.

munchie64

I was 14 years old when I first watched Eva. That's why I like Asuka.

Also I like her character flaw/tragic backstory most I think.

I think everything is better on the second or further viewings.

Just keep watching.

MMarston

Again, make sure to watch EoE after.

Cedric

Shinji is the worst piece of shit to ever be created when pen hits paper.

hahaha, I'm just saying he's better than those 2. Misato is actually the best character.

I was 14 years old when I first watched Eva. That's why I like Asuka.

Also I like her character flaw/tragic backstory most I think.

I'm guessing I'll learn more about the bolded soon enough. Right now though she has no redeeming qualities.

MMarston

I'm guessing I'll learn more about the bolded soon enough. Right now though she has no redeeming qualities.

Did you already reach the episode where she fights the Angel that's
orbiting the Earth's atmosphere

entremet

Asuka was such a boring character, but compared to the other EVA pilots, I guess I can see why she's loved. Shinji is annoying and Rei is just there lol.

Love this series so much. I think I've watched End of Evangelion more times than any other movie I own. To this day, I've never seen a fight scene with as much weight to it as the major sequence in the middle of EoE.

And the rebuilds are pretty great, IMO. Given the story has already been done, I actually quite like a lot of the changes and the movies themselves are gorgeous.

MMarston

Asuka was such a boring character, but compared to the other EVA pilots, I guess I can see why she's loved. Shinji is annoying and Rei is just there lol.

Rei has that waifu quality of being a completely innocent and fragile figure that needs to be looked after, and for some people, they're into that kind of thing.

I would know too, because I was mad crushing on her back when I was 13 for those reasons (until I saw EoE lol).

I had heard once that NGE really isn't that impactful and worth watching if you aren't in those angsty teen years (I'm 25). Anyone have thoughts on that opinion?

Fj0823

Asuka was such a boring character, but compared to [the other EVA pilots,I guess I can see why she's loved. Shinji is annoying and Rei is just there lol.

Nah, I love me some glasses girl that knows too much but won´t share shit

edit: gif removed as it might be a spoiler

MMarston

I had heard once that NGE really isn't that impactful and worth watching if you aren't in those angsty teen years (I'm 25). Anyone have thoughts on that opinion?

Not at all. I mean, the teenage angst will help you relate to it, but there's a lot of other meaningful deep shctick that doesn't rely on that. Not to mention, the series has some hella fascinating (though disturbing) visuals.

Especially in EoE. Did I mention EoE? You should totally watch EoE.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Asuka a boring character? Can't say I agree. One of the best I've seen in an anime.
You probably won't connect with it as much as you might have had you watched it while you were in the target demographic, but there's still plenty about the show to recommend it to anyone.

munchie64

I'd say try it out, but Eva begins and end in very different places, so that may not be fair.
You'll definitely get the most out it if you're around the main characters' ages (14), but if you don't take it too seriously and can slog through some bullshit, give it a go!

aerts1js

I've seen only the first 5-6 episodes... was pretty cringe inducing and couldn't force myself to continue.... seems geared toward mainly angsty teenagers.

edit: I was 24 when I tried to watch; not sure if it matters.

I honestly love Evangelion and pretty much everything that's been done with it. Advice for OP: don't watch the renewal films until you've seen the whole series and watched End of Evangelion. You get a much bigger appreciation for the new films and the direction they go in once you've seen the original content.

Evangelion 2.22 is probably my favorite anime film. I saw 3.33 last year at the Alamo Drafthouse here in Austin and while it wasn't what I expected, it was still pretty good. It's driving me up the damn wall how long it is taking Funimation to release the film on Blu Rei. From what I understand, they're working with Studio Khara on a more accurate English translation but come on, it shouldn't take this long!

It's driving me up the damn wall how long it is taking Funimation to release the film on Blu Rei. From what I understand, they're working with Studio Khara on a more accurate English translation but come on, it shouldn't take this long!

Especially when fan translators can do it within a week.

How long has it been already... a year and a half?
We don't need the translation to be THAT accurate.

Jex

Rebuild of Evangelion is pretty bad, you made the correct choice starting with the series. Just make sure to:

- Watch the directors cuts of the specific episodes (21, 22, 23 ,24)
- You do not need to watch Deatth & Rebirth.
- Watch End of Evangelion
- Ignore the Evangelion fandom as much as possible while watching the series. Heck, even ignore the responses in this thread. It's best if you make your own mind up about the series. Divorce yourself from the internet community until you're finished.

Cedric

Hmmm for episodes 21-24 are you watching the original versions or the director's cuts?

Hmm no idea, probably the original ones.

Did you already reach the episode where she fights the Angel that's
orbiting the Earth's atmosphere

Yeah I did, it's kind of blurry though since I was tired and took a week break afterwards. I checked the synopsis and I remember now though.

Jex

Yes, but Anno apparently got into another depression and has yet to start production on it at all. So that's probably gonna take another 4-5 years which is a shame since he was on a 2-3 year interval streak with the other Rebuild films (aka 4.0 could've come out this winter).

Huh?

To clarify a few facts: Anno wasn't depressed while working on the original Evangelion TV series. He had personal troubles as a result of working on Gainax's earlier TV series, Nadia, not during the production of Evangelion.

With regards to the Evangelion: 3.0 + 1.0, while no firm date has been announced for a release I haven't ready any reports that Anno has fallen into depression or anything of the sort. At the 2014 Tokyo Film Festival Anno joked that the final film may be released 4-6 years after Evangelion 3.0.

MMarston

Huh?

To clarify a few facts: Anno wasn't depressed while working on the original Evangelion TV series. He had personal troubles as a result of working on Gainax's earlier TV series, Nadia, not during the production of Evangelion.

I think I was thinking more about making EoE but I'm referring to information I read years ago so everything i've learned is sort of in a blur.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Jexhius, Anno said recently that his depression got worse in the aftermath of 3.0.
To clarify a few facts: Anno wasn't depressed while working on the original Evangelion TV series.
I don't think it's accurate to say he 'wasn't depressed' working on Eva. As I understand it, he dealt with the severity of his depression by throwing himself into Evangelion and being very hands-on with it. The moment that he finished the show, he fell into a slump again.

He's chronically depressed. This is a lifelong thing for him.

Jex

I think I was thinking more about making EoE but I'm referring to information I read years ago so everything i've learned is sort of in a blur.

Fair enough! Fan chatter about Evangelion is pretty loose and I'd recommend taking most of it with several grains of salt.

For anyone looking for more concrete information there are numerous translated interviews with the creators, as well as plenty more content, on sites such as EvaGeeks etc.

It is a pretty divisive show and I imagine that most people who don't like it might put it down to it being too angsty and navel gazing. And it does deal with some of the main causes of "teenage anst." Maybe something to that but probably overstated.

Jex

Jexhius, Anno said recently that his depression got worse in the aftermath of 3.0.
Oh really? I hadn't come across that information but then again I haven't been keeping up with the news.
I don't think it's accurate to say he 'wasn't depressed' working on Eva. As I understand it, he dealt with the severity of his depression by throwing himself into Evangelion and being very hands-on with it. The moment that he finished the show, he fell into a slump again.

He's chronically depressed. This is a lifelong thing for him.

I think that's a more accurate description. It's just that the way people tend to write about is implies that working on Evangelion made him depressed which isn't strictly accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom