• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video of PSP running on its own

BuddyC

Kinda.

I think the press conference had Ken showing things off on the PSP he had...I don't know for sure, didn't attend and didn't see.

As for the show floor, there was a wall that had PSPs attached, running video like you saw in the beginning of the footage. I believe there were some you could actually touch, sticking out from the wall in a manner similar to the GBA SP kiosks you see in stores.

EGM92

Sweet find, looks good, even better that it's not being fed through a PC and was actually running some of the games while the guy was holding it. (I got not speakers on my laptop so I don't know if I missed something or not)

EGM92

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
There were interactive demos as well as videos playing on the units at E3, the recent debate was both whether they were running off of actual handheld hardware or hardwired to pc devkits behind the wall, and whether the [amazing ultra sexy] display used was the actual consumer level screen or a much more expensive LCD that wouldn't be feasible to include in the end.

Very nice, sure looks very slick. I always get weirded out when I see games that were originally only able to be produced on consoles, now on this screen that you can move around, or upside down with your hand. It gets me all jittery with goosebumps.

Is this still not the final model though? It looks very nice as it is now, despite my personal problems with the hardware.

Andy787 said:
That's what I'm thinking, too. And I didn't see him press anything.

Don't most games still run a "demo" of sorts when you just sit at the start screen? Could have just been that if you want to get picky about it.

Also, do cameras make backlit screens look more washed out than they really are? I can't remember back in the GBA SP announcement days if that was the case or not.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Andy787 said:
That's what I'm thinking, too. And I didn't see him press anything.

He pressed the circle button and the dialogue box popped up. The GT footage is probably just a movie though

eso76

actually there's something strange about that gt4 video..
There's some motion blur, and the way the screen updates looks suspicious.
FMV for me.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
That GT4 feed is obviously video (as the game has barely even been started production yet) The little cat thing could easily be a game, though. OMG, a device that we all know will have to run on it's own - is running on it's OWN!

so was it just a rumor that the psp had a battery-pack wrist band? I don't seem to see that.
You didn't really think that thing was mandatory, or even supposed to be worn around the wrist? :p

Marconelly said:
That GT4 feed is obviously video (as the game has barely even been started production yet) The little cat thing could easily be a game, though. OMG, a device that we all know will have to run on it's own - is running on it's OWN!

Yah the GT4 stuff is definetly a video, but Polyphony has ported stuff extremely fast just for showing off the hardware. They did that GT PS2 footage and demo in just a few weeks, so this is probably similar to that.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Also, do cameras make backlit screens look more washed out than they really are? I can't remember back in the GBA SP announcement days if that was the case or not.
GBASP uses front-lit screen :p But yeah, cameras+camera lighting does make every screen (LCD or otherwise) look way worse than it looks to naked eye. That's why on every single TV commercial for TVs, they actually insert a recorded footage and paste it onto TV screens, during the production, instead of just recording the live TV picture.

Marconelly said:
GBASP uses front-lit screen :p But yeah, cameras+camera lighting does make every screen (LCD or otherwise) look way worse than it looks to naked eye. That's why on every single TV commercial for TVs, they actually insert a recorded footage and paste it onto TV screens, during the production, instead of just recording the live TV picture.

Ahh this is what I thought. It's quite annoying to be honest, but it can't be helped. And yes, I already knew that the GBA SP was front lit, but I thought such things were under assumption by now? I don't think I need to bring it up every time I post about the screen do I? Plus the end result is the same.

Anyways, I've always wondered about those arguments about the units being clamped down. I never cared myself (You see, I'm not always silly kaching) but what did people expect?

cja

Think there are wires running from those PSPs and I doubt its just a mains adaptor :)

00:11 - 00:15 -- Looks like two wires (one black the other a thicker grey) running from the right hand side of the unit showing the GT4 video

00:25 - 00:29 -- the right hand is suspiciously rigid, could easily conceal wires from behind unit if they run between his fingers.

00:38 - 00:44 -- Another PSP unit behind the demonstrator has a thick black wire connected to it running beneath the table.

1:02 - 1:17 -- Again the way he holds his right hand and constricts the movement of the device is dodgy as anything. Shows the top of the device but no chance of seeing behind.

1:18 1:25 -- Fakest part of the whole demo, not even attempting to slot the UMD in just placing it behind the unit.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
And yes, I already knew that the GBA SP was front lit, but I thought such things were under assumption by now? I don't think I need to bring it up every time I post about the screen do I? Plus the end result is the same.
I was just trying to say that every screen suffers when filmed with TV cameras. Even then you can see that the PSP screen in that video has really crazy brightness and contrast. As for front lit = back lit, it's not really the same. You can't get very good contrast on the front lit screens, but they consume less power for their light.

Marconelly said:
I was just trying to say that every screen suffers when filmed with TV cameras. Even then you can see that the PSP screen in that video has really crazy brightness and contrast. As for front lit = back lit, it's not really the same. You can't get very good contrast on the front lit screens, but they consume less power for their light.

That's what I meant by the "end result is the same". Regardless of it being backlit or frontlit, or sidelit or diagonallylit. It still comes washed out by the camera.

teiresias

Think there are wires running from those PSPs and I doubt its just a mains adaptor

00:11 - 00:15 -- Looks like two wires (one black the other a thicker grey) running from the right hand side of the unit showing the GT4 video

The GT4 footage is obviously video, but I don't think any of the footage shows anyone actually holding the unit when that footage is shown anyway.

00:25 - 00:29 -- the right hand is suspiciously rigid, could easily conceal wires from behind unit if they run between his fingers.

Eh, I dunno, it just looks like he's holding it as steady as possible in order to get a good picture for the camera without glare and reflections and the like.

1:18 1:25 -- Fakest part of the whole demo, not even attempting to slot the UMD in just placing it behind the unit.

The unit he's doing that with is currently running that cat thing, so obviously if it's running on its own and is running software than it might actually already have a UMD in the slot, making it impossible for him to actually insert another one.

I still don't see how this video is anymore remarkable than anything we've seen so far though.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Think there are wires running from those PSPs and I doubt its just a mains adaptor

00:38 - 00:44 -- Another PSP unit behind the demonstrator has a thick black wire connected to it running beneath the table.

1:02 - 1:17 -- Again the way he holds his right hand and constricts the movement of the device is dodgy as anything. Shows the top of the device but no chance of seeing behind.

It's all obviously a conspiracy, because as we clearly know, a real working unit of PSP is something that is physically impossible. Battery needed to power that thing would have to bend spacetime continuum to reserve enough of a Lithium Ion mass for it to work. If this PSP would indeed be running with no wires, it would have to create mini-black holes around itself to sustain it's material presence. DO YOU SEE ANY BLACK HOLES FLOATING AROUND IT GENTLE READERS???! Cause I'm not seeing any...

Marconelly said:
It's all obviously a conspiracy, because as we clearly know, a real working unit of PSP is something that is physically impossible. Battery needed to power that thing would have to bend spacetime continuum to reserve enough of a Lithium Ion mass for it to work. If this PSP would indeed be running with no wires, it would have to create mini-black holes around itself to sustain it's material presence. DO YOU SEE ANY BLACK HOLES FLOATING AROUND IT GENTLE READERS???! Cause I'm not seeing any...

Haha, that is exactly how I feel. There are more important things to argue about the PSP than whether or not the hardware is capable of running on its own.

Brofist

cja said:
Think there are wires running from those PSPs and I doubt its just a mains adaptor :)

Little pessimistic aren't we.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
The footage really is rather disappointing, esp. for how long it takes to get a decent stream out of it. Would have been nice to have seen the PSP actually get used rather than just simply handled again. Have him turn it on, actually insert a disc and a memory stick and at least show how to navigate UI to choose to play movie/game off the disc or music off the Memstick.

Forsete

Marconelly said:

Post Of The Thread.. :D

Insertia

Marconelly said:

lmao

cja

Marconelly said:
:) . Publishers still haven't got hardware dev kits yet you want to believe Sony have working hardware units just to show the press?! I find this far more implausible than a SCEI official using a bit of smoke and mirrors to hide the deficiencies of the currect mock-ups.

teiresias said:
Eh, I dunno, it just looks like he's holding it as steady as possible in order to get a good picture for the camera without glare and reflections and the like.
Holding the unit with two hands would help steady the unit :p

teiresias said:
The unit he's doing that with is currently running that cat thing, so obviously if it's running on its own and is running software than it might actually already have a UMD in the slot, making it impossible for him to actually insert another one.
Sorry, I'm too cynical to believe it. If it's a working unit then the best way of demoing the working UMD would be to turn the machine off, take out that UMD and pop in another. The only UMD shown is the GT4 mock-up shown at E3. The whole demonstation could easily be achieved from just the E3 kit.

cja said:
Sorry, I'm too cynical to believe it. If it's a working unit then the best way of demoing the working UMD would be to turn the machine off, take out that UMD and pop in another. The only UMD shown is the GT4 mock-up shown at E3.

psp10.jpg

psp12.jpg

psm05.jpg

psp15.jpg

teiresias

Yeah, but obviously Nintendo is prepping a portable Gamecube that will run off of a watch battery for five years without a recharge.

cja

SolidSnakex said:
I was refering to the UMD shown in the video demonstration not at E3 or the recent Japanese press conference. Still no evidence of a working UMD unit.

Phoenix

cja said:
I was refering to the UMD shown in the video demonstration not at E3 or the recent Japanese press conference. Still no evidence of a working UMD unit.

Dude the UMD is probably the least sophisticated component of the entire device. We're talking about technology on par with the mini-discs that Sony is already shipping so I have no doubt about those.

The screen and the battery are the two variables here.

Phoenix

cja said:
Sorry, I'm too cynical to believe it. If it's a working unit then the best way of demoing the working UMD would be to turn the machine off, take out that UMD and pop in another. The only UMD shown is the GT4 mock-up shown at E3. The whole demonstation could easily be achieved from just the E3 kit.

Hmmm... do you turn off your gamecube, XBox, PS2, DVD player, CD Player, mini disc player, etc to insert new media? Personally I just open mine, drop in new media and it starts off on its own. That's not to say that what is being shown actually works - just that the reasoning bringing you to your conclusion is flawed.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yeah, but obviously Nintendo is prepping a portable Gamecube that will run off of a watch battery for five years without a recharge.
I'm just saying - the chance of Sony ever having a working independent PSP unit are about as big as the chance that we really landed on the Moon (WINK - WINK).

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
SolidSnakeX said:
I doubt it.

SolidSnakeX said:
Yah the GT4 stuff is definetly a video, but Polyphony has ported stuff extremely fast just for showing off the hardware. They did that GT PS2 footage and demo in just a few weeks, so this is probably similar to that.

Wow, that was the quickest I've ever seen you contradict yourself.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Publishers still haven't got hardware dev kits yet you want to believe Sony have working hardware units just to show the press?!
Certain developers have got hardware dev kits since before E3.

Holding the unit with two hands would help steady the unit
Two Hands? Oh man, imagine how many wires could they hide then!!

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
olubode said:
Wow, that was the quickest I've ever seen you contradict yourself.

Because Replay video = FMV! That's right...OH WAIT!

This thread is full of morons who are just hell bent on *trying* to create some sort of conspiracy. The PSP is real. Developers don't need the hardware this urgently because they're writing all of their PSP games with a PS2 Dev TOOL. There was no stacks of PCs craftfully hidden in those walls -- stop overanalyzing this shit already. You people have no idea how fucking stupid you sound.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
cja said:
:) . Publishers still haven't got hardware dev kits yet you want to believe Sony have working hardware units just to show the press?! I find this far more implausible than a SCEI official using a bit of smoke and mirrors to hide the deficiencies of the currect mock-ups.
If anyone is going to have working units, it'd be SCEI, right? And they don't need multiple working units to show off to the press, they just need one. It would be even less plausible to suggest that SCEI is saying, "Ship ALL working units to publishers, keep none for us to work with/demonstrate"

As for smoke and mirrors, there might still be a little bit in play here but if what they wanted to conceal was the need to connect to an external processing source then they wouldn't have let that 4-5 second of footages into the reel with the PSP just sitting on the table in the background by itself with a wire connected to it.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
AlphaSnake said:
Because Replay video = FMV! That's right...OH WAIT!

This thread is full of morons who are just hell bent on *trying* to create some sort of conspiracy. The PSP is real. Developers don't need the hardware this urgently because they're writing all of their PSP games with a PS2 Dev TOOL. There was no stacks of PCs craftfully hidden in those walls -- stop overanalyzing this shit already. You people have no idea how fucking stupid you sound.
First of all, I could care less if the PSP is playing data on its own. My point of contention is with SSX and thats it. Second, if SSX indeed meant replay video, I retract my comment.
Third, everyone knows that @ E3, they were playing PSP games using Dev Kits. Hell, Nintendo did it with the early GBA showings. You need to stop thinking that everyone on GA thinks Sony is all smoke and mirrors. They will be ready next year and will present a formidable challenge to the Nintendo portables.

As for you, stop with your mood swings (something which has become legendary both on and offline) and chill out.

Nobody's saying they'll never have a complete, working PSP standalone unit. I think the question is when. Ultimately this is a question of Sony's timeline, whether the machine's going to make it this year or what.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
olubode said:
First of all, I could care less if the PSP is playing data on its own. My point of contention is with SSX and thats it. Second, if SSX indeed meant replay video, I retract my comment.
Third, everyone knows that @ E3, they were playing PSP games using Dev Kits. Hell, Nintendo did it with the early GBA showings. You need to stop thinking that everyone on GA thinks Sony is all smoke and mirrors. They will be ready next year and will present a formidable challenge to the Nintendo portables.

As for you, stop with your mood swings (something which has become legendary both on and offline) and chill out.

Uhh, my first comment was directed to you. My second comment was general. Stop crying.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
AlphaSnake said:
Uhh, my first comment was directed to you. My second comment was general. Stop crying.
Ohh boo hoo...

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
cja said:
Publishers still haven't got hardware dev kits
Right now that seems to depend on which part of the world the publishers you ask about it are from.

As for actual unit prototypes, if they didn't have any they might as well be making up things like battery life completely from thin air - and if that were the case one must ask why they aren't making the numbers sound a bit better...

teiresias

I bet Fafalada has a prototype portable Gamecube that runs off of a thimble full of water!!!! What are the specs, does Zelda: WW look just as good on the 3D Holographic screen as it does on the TV??!!!!!!!

Top Bottom