• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video of PSP running on its own

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Nobody's saying they'll never have a complete, working PSP standalone unit. I think the question is when. Ultimately this is a question of Sony's timeline, whether the machine's going to make it this year or what.
I think TGS will answer this for both Sony and Nintendo. Truth be told, DS has not been seen any more working on it's own than PSP so far - actually, with this new redesign there hasn't even been an actual photo of an empty shell seen, much less an actual working unit (with or without hidden machinery behind the walls)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Incidentally, has there been a free-playing, no strings attached demonstration of the NDS yet, seeing as how it should be in stores sooner than the PSP?

GDGF

Soothsayer
skinnyrattler said:
Looks nice. If they get this sucker under $200, Nintendo has to worry with their N64 graphics. It's kinda like a serious flaw.

Not really. (certainly not historicly, anyway)

Nintendo's always gone against technological superior opponents in the handheld arena (including Sega who was blasting the b&w design left and right, and that was back when Sega was at the top of their game)

Handheld consumers have proven time and time again that the most important things to them are price, battery life, and bc (and Pokemon, but that's another story)

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
teiresias said:
I bet Fafalada has a prototype portable Gamecube that runs off of a thimble full of water!!!! What are the specs, does Zelda: WW look just as good on the 3D Holographic screen as it does on the TV??!!!!!!!
Actually there's a hamster wheel attached that's used to cool the water. But yeah, 3dHolo display is straight out of StarTrek. TVs are obsolete when this thing comes out.

kaching said:
Korea gets EVERYTHING first
Well, certainly not everything, but so long it's the stuff I care about I don't complain :p

sp0rsk said:
why does this even matter?
_
Kobun Heat said:
Nobody's saying they'll never have a complete, working PSP standalone unit. I think the question is when. Ultimately this is a question of Sony's timeline, whether the machine's going to make it this year or what.

GDGF

Soothsayer
It's not releasing this year in the US, but they're still holding firm to their 2004 japanese date (afaik)

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
You can laugh all you want at cja, but he made some valid points. The rare use of the hand, the thick grey cable (the thin one looks like a power input) and the UMD "interaction" scream mock-up hanheld.

pspy1.jpg

pspx2.jpg

pspx3.jpg

Still, even if the non operational unit is being used just as a monitor to show some emulation work with representative purposes, the thing is trivial. As far as there is a real emulator running PSP software I can't see the problem since the final unit should run equally good if not better.

Wasn't the TGS the chosen event to present the first true PSP games?

cvxfreak

kaching said:
Incidentally, has there been a free-playing, no strings attached demonstration of the NDS yet, seeing as how it should be in stores sooner than the PSP?

Yes. I have a video of the people at Cube-Europe playing Wario Ware.

Deg

Banned
kaching said:

In Europe they did.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Nintendo will probably show DS on Games Convention in Leipzig (19.-22.08.04). Dunno about States....

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yes. I have a video of the people at Cube-Europe playing Wario Ware.
I'd like to see that, as I have heard on numerious ocasions that journalists complained about that very same thing about DS (that they couldn't detach it from the base it was bolted onto)

pspx2.jpg

OMG, they photoshopped the cable out of the video, but the forgot to photoshop the shadow out! It's like our government is teaching them how not to edit videos! LOLLERSKATES!

kevm3

Even if the games don't look quite as good as what they're showing, they'll still look significantly better than anything else that's out on the handheld market... And if the games dont' look good enough to justify Sony's price, it'll fail. So we all win here.

Socreges

Banned
This may have been covered, but is the PSP in the video using the prototype screen (that is allegedly better quality than the one that we will get)? Because it's so crisp.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
This may have been covered, but is the PSP in the video using the prototype screen (that is allegedly better quality than the one that we will get)? Because it's so crisp.
Yes, the retail PSP, as confirmed by gamedreamz.com, will use a 256 color screen with 10Hz interlaced refresh rate (effectively giving a maximum of 20FPS interlaced)

Socreges

Banned
Marconelly said:
Yes, the retail PSP, as confirmed by gamedreamz.com, will use a 256 color screen with 10Hz interlaced refresh rate (effectively giving a maximum of 20FPS interlaced)
Relative to what? Did the prototype have 512 color, 20Hz, or the exact same specs?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Funky Papa said:
You can laugh all you want at cja, but he made some valid points. The rare use of the hand, the thick grey cable (the thin one looks like a power input) and the UMD "interaction" scream mock-up hanheld.

pspx1.jpg

pspx2.jpg

pspx3.jpg

Still, even if the non operational unit is being used just as a monitor to show some emulation work with representative purposes, the thing is trivial. As far as there is a real emulator running PSP software I can't see the problem since the final unit should run equally good if not better.

Wasn't the TGS the chosen event to present the first true PSP games?
I wouldn't laugh at cja but I will laugh at whoever spent the time to capture video stills and highlight the "evidence" in order to debunk this trivial piece of video. And if that was in fact you, Funky, then HA HA </nelson> :p

What would be great is if someone translates the dialogue from the video and we find them clearly stating this is still a mock-up, not a finalized unit.

jarrod

Banned
Fafalada said:
As for actual unit prototypes, if they didn't have any they might as well be making up things like battery life completely from thin air - and if that were the case one must ask why they aren't making the numbers sound a bit better...
Uh wait... has SCEI given solid real world battery life expectations yet? Wasn't it just "2-10 hours depending" and "comparable to other handheld DVD/music/game players"?

tenchir

jarrod said:
Uh wait... has SCEI given solid real world battery life expectations yet? Wasn't it just "2-10 hours depending" and "comparable to other handheld DVD/music/game players"?

http://psp.ign.com/articles/513/513734p1.html

"So, what is the battery life going to be on PlayStation Portable? It will be on par with traditional handheld systems, or approximately 10 hours. It is comparable to an ATC [ATRAC] portable music player, or approximately 8 hours. Or, it will be comparable to portable DVD players, which, in many cases, is about 2 and a half hours.
--Kaz Hirai, May 11, 2004

I wouldn't expect battery life to exceed 3 hours for playing games.

andthebeatgoeson

Lost Weekend said:
Not really. (certainly not historicly, anyway)

Nintendo's always gone against technological superior opponents in the handheld arena (including Sega who was blasting the b&w design left and right, and that was back when Sega was at the top of their game)

Handheld consumers have proven time and time again that the most important things to them are price, battery life, and bc (and Pokemon, but that's another story)

I don't think you'll agree that the difference between the first gameboy and the gamegear is anyway similar to the difference between the supposedly PSP and the DS. I've been doubtful in the past but even if it's not exactly PS2 levels, if it's anywhere near PS2, it'll be pathetic to look at both of them in the store. The casuals will eat it up, unless the price is prohibitively expensive. Graphics is a gimmick but one that sells units. Now Nintendo would be good to push up the tech to DC levels if they aren't willing to push it to GCN levels.

skinnyrattler said:
I don't think you'll agree that the difference between the first gameboy and the gamegear is anyway similar to the difference between the supposedly PSP and the DS. I've been doubtful in the past but even if it's not exactly PS2 levels, if it's anywhere near PS2, it'll be pathetic to look at both of them in the store. The casuals will eat it up, unless the price is prohibitively expensive. Graphics is a gimmick but one that sells units. Now Nintendo would be good to push up the tech to DC levels if they aren't willing to push it to GCN levels.

What are you talking about? Both the Game Gear and the Atari Lynx were a generation ahead of the GB. Is this not he case now? Hell, and think about how long it took for us to even get to the GBC. How many color competitors saw the light of day before that? We've also seen things like the Nomad and what not that were capable of doing graphics on par to a Sega console while the GB/C was still doing things like the NES.

The PS2 isn't but one step higher than the N64 in terms of generation. The only thing different going for the PSP this time around is the third party support, and I think it can very well make PSP do quite well. But I don't think it's going to outdo a single GB platform ever released.

Will it beat the DS? Who knows, it has quite the sporting chance, and so does the DS for defeating the PSP. I still think it's too early to call the shots.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Marconelly said:
pspx2.jpg

OMG, they photoshopped the cable out of the video, but the forgot to photoshop the shadow out! It's like our government is teaching them how not to edit videos! LOLLERSKATES!
You can see two cables for a short time (see pic 1) One is black and thin (I guess it's the power supply) and the other is grey and thick (image input?) it is not an Area 51 conspirancy, the hand is covering the cable during the rest of the video. Come on Marco, you are a cool guy, stop honoring your tag :p

kaching said:
I wouldn't laugh at cja but I will laugh at whoever spent the time to capture video stills and highlight the "evidence" in order to debunk this trivial piece of video. And if that was in fact you, Funky, then HA HA </nelson> :p
God forbids me for losing five minutes of my summer vacances instead of drooling over Lohan's boobies :p

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Maybe I'm not 'with it', but I fail to see the funny.

So to answer my question... the screen won't be changed from the prototype? Or it will?
The funny is that the screen downgrade i described would be impossibly bad. Noone really knows if the screen will, or will not change.

You can see two cables for a short time (see pic 1) One is black and thin (I guess it's the power supply) and the other is grey and thick (image input?) it is not an Area 51 conspirancy, the hand is covering the cable during the rest of the video. Come on Marco, you are a cool guy, stop honoring your tag
I guess I could say you guys are cool as well, so stop wasting your time on crazy conspiracy theories about something that clearly won't matter at the end :p (the final device will have to run on it's own)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Funky Papa said:
God forbids me for losing five minutes of my summer vacances instead of drooling over Lohan's boobies :p
Then go out and find a real girl, GEEK! :p

Seriously, best part of your photo expose is that you didn't even include a video cap of the PSP that was sitting in the background for 4-5 secs with a big black wire clearly extending from it. That would have shaved 4 minutes off your effort since that would've been the only pic you needed, getting you back Lohan's sweater meat that much faster ;)

andthebeatgoeson

DarthWufei said:
What are you talking about? Both the Game Gear and the Atari Lynx were a generation ahead of the GB. Is this not he case now? Hell, and think about how long it took for us to even get to the GBC. How many color competitors saw the light of day before that? We've also seen things like the Nomad and what not that were capable of doing graphics on par to a Sega console while the GB/C was still doing things like the NES.

The PS2 isn't but one step higher than the N64 in terms of generation. The only thing different going for the PSP this time around is the third party support, and I think it can very well make PSP do quite well. But I don't think it's going to outdo a single GB platform ever released.

Will it beat the DS? Who knows, it has quite the sporting chance, and so does the DS for defeating the PSP. I still think it's too early to call the shots.

Well, to me, the difference is huge. Sure, gamegear had color and looked better but if DS has N64 graphics that are slightly blurry, any PS2 level graphics will just not even be comparable right next to each other. At that point, price will be the biggest factor whether people pick it up. Meaning, a price point that is too high will be the only thing preventing people from shitting their pants. I know that there was a difference but the DS needs some great looking games to be even comparable.

That video may or may not be fake but if it's close, I'll be wowed and a lot of others will. What will I get? DS cuz I care more about the games that'll be on the DS, don't care for the movie and song playing features and don't want to spend anywhere close to $200 for a portable system.

But I'm just making a comment about the graphics gap. I, and I should focus on the word 'I', think that it's a huge gap and will be different from previous generations. Now, Nintendo doesn't hold all the game cards and there are plenty of GT fans and MGS fans that'll flock to the PSP cuz of the graphics and games.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If the battery life is crap, please at least make the PSP compatible with in-flight power adapters.

Please.

Top Bottom