• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video shows police tasing a bloody, restrained man in the testicles before his death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayt

Banned
Relevant to the inside thing.
1dacd40fdcdd097d653f2d2573a2784a.png

I decided to google the stories of some of these people. Infuriating.

Jury Acquits Jail Employees of Serious Charges in Inmate Death

All three have been acquitted of involuntary manslaughter.

Fucking hell. Justice and cops don't mix in this country.

Also the grammar and spelling on that article is awful.

Among many other things, there needs to be an equivalent to disbarring for cops, where they can no longer go from district to district after getting canned.

Actually, the coroner's report said that he died from blunt force trauma, which means that they beat him to death.

Ugh. Savages.

dabig2

Update deserves a new thread. New news and all. It also deserves some damn attention, but unfortunately this story will become another statistic. Another depressing anecdote to put in an image macro or have a passing reference in a research article.

Wilsongt

Having a mental break down while black.

This is getting ridiculous, even more so because those sick fucks aren't getting charged with what they should be charged with.

America: Fuck it.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Police system in America is fucked. It's broken beyond repair too. Seriously if I was black in America, I'd just fucking leave if I could. Fuck that shit.

Clefargle

This is disgusting, and I think police reform is in order...

BUT:

I did think the thread title was "tasting" for a sec

WAAAAAAAAT

Paz

Someone should add the updated information to the OP, the contrast with reading the details of the crime and what ended up happening to the officers is enough to make you throw up.

GDGF

Soothsayer
This happened in my town. Hell, it happened in my county. A friend of mine who is a bartender at a "lawyer bar" served one of the lawyers involved in this case and had this to say on facebook:

There's something to be said when a lawyer on this case comes into your job, precedes to drink profusely and flat out tells you his real feelings about this. Also spilling information that wasn't meant for my ears. I'm ashamed Savannah.

and when pressed for further info:

Pretty much to the effect of the jury was given false evidence and misinformation, fabricated for the purpose of protecting the deputies charged with the death.

It's fucking sick.

Kettch

I'm amazed (and despite the horrible circumstances, thankful) that the recording actually exists. Assuming for a moment that the cops involved aren't complete idiots on top of being murderous scum, they would've known that they would be recorded, no? I'm surprised it wasn't scrubbed to destroy evidence.

Who has access to the video once the tazer camera is triggered?

They probably didn't think about the possibility of him dying. Knowing that nobody would care about some tasing if he even managed to bring it to anyone's attention.

Looks like even after him dying, they're only getting the justice system equivalent of a slap on the wrist. Why bother covering anything up with a system like this?

There is no more anger in me to fight anymore. I've lost nearly all of my hope that anything will actually change anytime soon. Racism is just too ingrained in society for anything to change.

YoungHav

Banned
There is no more anger in me to fight anymore. I've lost nearly all of my hope that anything will actually change anytime soon. Racism is just too ingrained in society for anything to change.
Racism is America's DNA. When you hope for equal treatment you are hoping for the end of America. People keep yapping about "how far we've come", when these barbaric outcomes are common and accepted parts of this culture.

YoungHav

Banned
Is the mainstream media covering this? If not why? People have to realize that this is what we're up against. We have the info on local news and GAF but its mass dissemination is ultimately in the hands of the rich, wealthy, white-controlled media. The news concerning us and the images of us that are put out there are controlled by the corporate descendants of our former slavemasters.

Good luck with that equality thing.

YoungHav

Banned
Sorry, the cynic in me says that all the recent coverage of people being killed by police was prompted by the bodycamera lobby. Blacks have been killed here since forever so why pretend to care now? Once cameras become the norm for police departments the media will go back to not caring about dead black people, which is their traditional stance. Whoever has these bodycamera contracts just added Scrooge McDucking as their new go to workout.

nib95

Banned
What the fuck. Seriously…..This is torture, brutality and murder. Lock these officers up for a very long time. I can't believe how fucking corrupt and disgusting this entire system is.

Shadownet

Banned
US police, it was nothing but trash. On a more serious note, it's quite concerning how there are no checks and balances in place for the police force.

There is literally nothing an american cop could do to make me think worse of them at this point.

They are literally the scums of the earth.
These responses kinda made me mad. While this is one shitty event and all the cops and people involved in this video should pay for their crimes.

Grouping all police officers with these murderers is just wrong. Its no more different than saying "all black people are thuggs, etc."

There are bad people in every groups. There are some great police officers out there but the news don't talk about them much cause its not polarizing enough.

These responses kinda made me mad. While this is one shitty event and all the cops and people involved in this video should pay for their crimes.

Grouping all police officers with these murderers is just wrong. Its no more different than saying "all black people are thuggs, etc."

There are bad people in every groups. There are some great police officers out there but the news don't talk about them much cause its not polarizing enough.
This can't be said enough, but not too many will listen. I work with cops every day, and can say that I've met some from both sides of the fence. It has to be frustrating to try and do things as honorable as possible when the guy next to you is fucking it all up and skewing perception. Your good actions as a cop won't outweigh the negative actions from others.

Mr. X

There's way too many people involved with this crime and subsequent successful cover up for me. There's something inherently wrong with the entire thing.

Shadownet

Banned
There's way too many people involved with this crime and subsequent successful cover up for me. There's something inherently wrong with the entire thing.
You have how many cops involved with this? 9-10? While there is definitely some corruption with the local police officers there and possibly local government.

How many cops are there in the US total? Once again people are just lumping all police officers together. There is corruption in the US police force, just like there are anywhere else in the world.

Its the same mentality that when some people see a group of black teenagers together that they think they're going to get jumped.

YoungHav

Banned
Shadownet, we're tired of the #notallcops crap.

How is it animalboogy as well as I, have family in law enforcement... yet can see the nuance involved? Think critically on these topics or don't post. #notallcops doesn't help anyone.

Mr. X

You have how many cops involved with this? 9-10? While there is definitely some corruption with the local police officers there and possibly local government.

How many cops are there in the US total? Once again people are just lumping all police officers together. There is corruption in the US police force, just like there are anywhere else in the world.

Its the same mentality that when some people see a group of black teenagers together that they think they're going to get jumped.
If the cops didn't hate their own that speak out or turn the bad cops in, you'd still only have a kind of sorta almost point.

If they aren't looking to admit there's a problem and actively solve it on their own free will, they are all complicit in maintaining and allowing this shit to continue. They are a business and this is their work culture. Not doing it themselves doesn't mean shit.

dan2026

How the hell do you beat a man to death on camera and not go to jail?

Does it matter if they intended to kill him?
America is fucked.

Shadownet, we're tired of the #notallcops crap.

How is it animalboogy as well as I, have family in law enforcement... yet can see the nuance involved? Think critically on these topics or don't post. #notallcops doesn't help anyone.
The hilarity of it is that the first post is to defend police. No comments on the torture..no. The #notalltheblacks was a nice touch..

Dead Man

Currently there is a thread in OT about Australia deporting a rape victim refugee. Not all Australians are evil hateful fucks, but enough of us are that I have no problem labelling Australia a fucked up country in general. I don't need to explain that it's not all Australians. Same thing here mate. It happens often enough that you need to stop the fucked cops, not complain about people having issues with cops. Prevent abuse by police, and people will not hate cops. Complaining about people complaining does nothing. It is not the responsibility of those effected to stop talking about what they face. Stop the source of the complaints. Get angry at the cops doing this, not the people having it done to them or talking about it being done to others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom