• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VideoGameDepot Appreciation Thread (read this to learn why you should shop there)

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I recently got a job at Video Game Depot, and I just knew it was my local indie/used game shop. After bringing up my job with a few people online, I've learned that they have an absolutely huge online presence, and are in fact one of the handful of really big online import shops. You would all be doing yourself a very big favor if you visited their online presence:

http://www.videogamedepot.com

Reasons why VGD is worthy of your attention:

1) It truly is independent. I think there's about 8 people on the entire payroll. There's only one physical location, here in eastern Iowa. They got big online by advertising on PA and Gaming Noise back in the day. The two owners are really down to earth, and super nice guys. My interview process consisted of them quizzing me about games so they could be sure I'd be able to answer people's questions.

2) The coolest thing about the store, IMO, is they genuinely DO work hard to offer the lowest price. Lots of places say they do, but I mean, I've seen it firsthand as an employee. New games are always sold for 48.99 instead of 49.99. I know places like fry's offer kickass deals, but my point is VGD makes a real concious effort to try to knock a few bucks off of what everything "should" be at, to get it to move. This shows up moreso in used products than new.

3) They carry DVDs, Anime, Game soundtracks, CDs, wallscrolls, etc. And a lot of it. I knew they carried this stuff, but it wasn't until I was hired that I realized how much we actually have. We have a HUGE number of used DVDs and music CDs. Almost as many as a DVD or CD store themselves would have, and it's not even our focus.

4) This one is almost a given, but the Import selection is arguably among the best anywhere, period.

5) There are no backorders. Our sales program and our inventory program are connected directly with the website. When something sells, it no longer shows up on the site. Everything you see online is ACTUALLY there to be purchased.

6) Customer service truly is #1. It's a cliche I know, but I don't really know how else to say it. Like I said, now that I'm employed there, I can see it firsthand. In the back any emailed complaint about an order not being right or whatever is pinned on the board and we fix the problem immediately.

If you don't read the rest of this thread, at least let some of these prices speak for themselves. They aren't "shockingly" low, but they're just priced to be a good value, like everything else in the store

Indiana Jones Boxed Set - $35
A.I. DVD - $7

Panzer Dragoon Orta Soundtrack - $14
.Hack Sign OST Vol. 1 - $14
Nirvana (in utero) - $5.99
Billy Squier (Enough Is Enough) - $5.99

Super Mario RPG - $35
Secret of Evermoor - $17
Mega Man Zero - $12
Advance Wars - $12
Max Payne (PS2) - $7
Dragon Warrior (NES) - $6
Startropics - $6

Cliffnotes: If you're buying games or any other media used, shop at VGD b/c #1 they're what's right with gaming retail and #2 it'll be cheaper than ebay.

I feel like a salesman, lol. I don't mean to be pimping my store... I just genuinely feel like the world should know. I'd have made this thread before I worked there, if I knew the extent of their inventory and how far they go to ensure happy customers.

GDJustin

MarkMacD said:
That's weird, ads usually show up at the top of my browser window.

I'm just the lowly weekend employee. It doesn't benefit me at all if any of you decide to shop there. Just because they employ me doesn't mean that that's my motive. My motive is to let you guys know about an online store with good variety and good pricing for used shit.

Like I said, I'd have made this thread before I worked there, if I knew the extent of it. I just want GAFFERS to get good deals :)

GDJustin

M3wThr33 said:
No way. Buy-Rite is soooo much better.

I've never bought anything from there before. It seems like some things are priced better, while others priced not quite as well. The main thing that scares me is there's no promise that the games will have the case. I'd like to pick up their $6.99 Amplitude, but I'm worried it's gonna come in some jewel case or something :(

Does seem like a really good site on the whole, though. Do you think it's safe to assume that stuff from this gen will come with the case?

M3wThr33

Banned
It took a week and a half of bitching to get about half of my order shipped out.
(Two previous orders went through just fine)
The third one was an SP (With a free game, it was Fire Pro Wrestling JPN), Puzzle Fighter and 5 Rockman Model Kits.

I got the SP and two games after my mom bitched. (It was an imported one! Score!)
I'm still waiting for the model kits.
This was the week the SP came out.

GDJustin

I looked at Buy-Rite's site some more, since I wasn't familiar with them, and although they're certainly an option worth checking out, I wasn't really all that impressed. The 6.99 Amplitude became the $15 Amplitude after selecting the absolute slowest shipping option. A lot of their stuff was cheaper I'll admit, but the shipping... yow. Their import stuff is by and large about $20 more than VGD's as well. Plus half the reason VGD is so cool (imo) is because of the selection of other stuff they have available, all at that one location.

Obviously my opinion is probably a little biased. I mean, a response of "this place is better!" is not what I wanted to hear after typing up this whole thread, but... yeah. I was fully prepared to buy from buy-rite but the $8 shipping turned me off.

M3wThr33

Banned
I'll give you a one sentence of why BuyRite sucks:

If a single item on your order is out of stock, they'll still take your money and never ship any of the goods.

golem

bleh buy-rite has been in the past somewhat shady... maybe they've cleaned up their act, but of the larger import stores online their reputation in the past has not been as good as the others. personally im partial to NCSx because im a long time shopper there (from when you had to email them your orders..), their prices are a bit high however. I do order occassionally from VGD and The Rage as well.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
After bringing up my job with a few people online, I've learned that they have an absolutely huge online presence, and are in fact one of the handful of really big online import shops.

god damn, how'd you pass the interview?!

GDJustin

jooey said:
god damn, how'd you pass the interview?!

Well, it's true that the biggest hole in my gaming knowledge is import stuff, and they're primarily an import shop (at least online) so it wouldn't seem to make sense. The thing if it is, the actual physical store has a very small import section, in the back stuck in with the Magic cards. Almost everything sold out of the store is domestic stuff, and that nearly accounts for 100% of the in-store questions we get.

All the import business is online, so it didn't matter that I didn't know a lot about it. I didn't know VGD did that much business online because I very, very rarely shop online (b/c I've bought all my games from them since I was little).

Alcibiades

btw, that was an obvious joke about buyrite.

All I've heard on forums for the longest time is that the service is ATROCIOUS.

videogamedepot.com I've heard about since one of their owners (I think) posts on the cheapassgamer forums.

at first I thought charging $48.99 for Skies of Arcadia was bad, but I guess Ebay prices were even higher...

seems like a decent guy, and the forum there respects the site for their prices and availibilty, so it obviously different from the buyrite scam issues...

GDJustin

I feel retarded for not catching the sarcasm (before it was edited into the post). I just don't buy games online :(

border

Buy-Rite is ridiculous. They seem to have "low" prices, but when you factor in their ridiculous shipping charges, that's not the case anymore. You know that they're taking a few bucks out of that fee and slipping it into their pocket, because it's always way more than they standard price that UPS/USPS would charge to ship a DVD.

VideoGameDepot looks like a nice online store for imports, but I can't say I'm thrilled about the large selection of "asian" bootleg soundtracks.

border

Yeah, the price=piracy law applies. If they are able to sell anime/game soundtracks at $14 a pop, then that probably means that the discs are coming from a Hong Kong counterfeit operation.

Alcibiades

I can't believe I got the places confused, but I thought you were talking about videogamedeals.com (when I referred to cheapassgamer.com forums).

I'd fix my post, but I can't edit it.

I just realized I had ordered from videogamedepot.com

EXCELLENT service. I ordered Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo and Magic Knight Rayearth (Saturn games) from them for very fair prices, as well as the SNES Star Wars trilogy ($30) for like $30, as well as the Sonic Adventure 2 Collector's pack from Japan (cheap from what I can remember). GREAT prices

EXCELLENT place to order from.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

TWO THUMBS UP!

can't believe I confused them, but it's been probably almost 2 years (or more?) since I ordered from them...

GDJustin

border said:
Yeah, the price=piracy law applies. If they are able to sell anime/game soundtracks at $14 a pop, then that probably means that the discs are coming from a Hong Kong counterfeit operation.

Everything that's from Hong Kong is labeled as such. The store carries just about equal amounts 'real' imported anime and Asian stuff. I personally prefer to avoid the HK stuff, but it's easy to do as it carries the "asian" tag on it.

john tv

Whatever happened to Tronix and NCS? Still any good?

Back in the day the only importer I'd ever order from was Tronix. Awesome prices, awesome service. But that was years ago... obviously I don't need to use importers anymore. :)

BenT

They're both still around. Tronix seems rather expensive. Haven't used them in years.

NCS, while still not cheap, are very reliable.

mosaic

go eat paint
Axen ripped me off!!!

Paul Smith ripped me off!!!

Ms PSX ripped me off!!!

Che stole my Saturn games!!!

etc, etc.

NCS and Tronix are still uber-reliable and have great customer service, although NCS has a much larger inventory -- and sells things like Japanese toys (Transformers, etc) in addition to games. I had a problem once receiving a broken controller from NCS and they sent a replacement even before I shipped the defective one back.

Buy-Rite on the other hand... someone needs to throw a bomb in that place. I haven't ordered from them in a while, probably 2 years, but before that I had placed like 4 or 5 orders with them. Not many, true, but only 1 went off without a hitch. Convincing them to ship a backordered item after receiving the rest of the order was a PAIN. And they simply wouldn't deal with me when they sent me a defective Saturn-DC controller converter. Man, I remember one order, they didn't even use packing peanuts or bubble wrap.

cvxfreak

I've ordered from VGD lots of times. But I haven't ordered since January because my Pokemon Leaf Green Japanese edition was missing its Club Nintendo points.

Link316

Banned
ordered from VGD a few times and also when the store was called cart-mart, they're ok, not great, the Sin & Punishment I received was used instead of new and some of the artbooks had bent corners, I don't get problems like that with other stores like Tronix so I mostly use VGD when I can't find stuff elsewhere

Ecrofirt

I've ordered from VDG several times.

My biggest gripe was their slip-up in my Ikaruga order. They sent me the DC version, and by the time I got my GC version, the game was only about 3 weeks from US stores.

I recommend them, though.

Tsubaki

GDJustin said:
Everything that's from Hong Kong is labeled as such. The store carries just about equal amounts 'real' imported anime and Asian stuff. I personally prefer to avoid the HK stuff, but it's easy to do as it carries the "asian" tag on it.

You're right, and I know that, and you know that... but I don't think the general populace knows that.

Don't get me wrong. When I still bought games, VGD was my #1 resource for them. First when they were VGD, then when Cart-Mart bought their name and inventory.

But with Cart-Mart owning them came the selling of some bootleg merchandise, which really tarnished their image IMO. How many people know or care is probably very small. Nevertheless, it's a big strike I have against "new" VGD vs Haohmaru/Pokey VGD.

Edit: For clarification purposes, in case someone asks - "When I still bought games" means that I currently don't buy or play games very much, because I'm incredibly jaded and am not really a fan of current generation gaming. My main source of gaming comes from the GBA or playing of old (and new!) Dreamcast titles.

Top Bottom