• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogames in movies/series

stranno

Following this thread, here are some more:

Charlie's Angels (2000). Two kids button-mashing Final Fantasy VII during a magic cast. Sounds are from an unknown beat'em up.

TOJZMJj.gif

Forever Young (1992). Elijah Wood is street-fighter-like button-mashing F-Zero while looking at his friend, certainly not a good way to play. No L/R (tight turns) usage at all.

gcTe9st.gif

Beethoven (1992). Nicholle Tom is playing Super Mario Bros. 3 while Christopher Castile is pretending to be also playing it with the Power Glove.

UMit7lq.gif

Inside Man (2006). Random boy is playing an ultra-violent Playstation Portable made-up game. Everything is invented but somehow related to 50 Cent.

RJJJ6ST.gif

The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008). Jaden Smith is trying to advance in Stranglethorn's Vale (World of Warcraft) button-mashing the keyboard Dance Dance Revolution style. After that Jennifer Connelly enters the room and he die in the game because of the interruption. Hardcore-gamer right there.

uqD5UYe.gif

Half Nelson (2006). Random guy playing the never released (and it certainly looks like a prototype) version of American McGee presents: Bad Day L.A. I would kill for that version.

wUODJCT.gif

Money Monster (2016). Random guys playing Just Cause 3, nothing weird.

file.gif

House of the Dead (2003). This movie features random split-second scenes of House of the Dead 2 (why not) along the "action" scenes, including this karateka-zombie-guy compared to the first boss of the game.

file.gif

The Big Bang Theory S02E02 (2008). Sheldon is playing Super Mario 64 in a "poorly coded emulator" because Leonard and Leslie are having a date in the living room. He is just buttom-mashing left-right while in an underwater level.

oclJwwz.gif

Breaking Bad S04E07 (2012). Jesse is playing RAGE with a lightgun, yeah. It could be the console/pc game or it could be the iOS "on-rails" version, i'm not sure.

120AE6H.gif

Lost S01E23 (2005). Walt is playing one of the worst Game Boy Advance games ever released, Cabela's Big Game Hunter in a Game Boy Advance SP, sounds are from a Pac-Man game. I guess they included other sounds because this game is so bad it doesnt has any sound except weapons/animals. But the weird part comes when Walt asks Michael for batteries!

PlRP3mv.gif

Veronica Mars S03E13 (2007). Mario Kart: Double Dash! is shown in a few scenes. Actors are not pushing any buttons, they're just moving the analog control randomly. And the guy is praising the Daisy's hearth special attack all the damn time.

file.gif

Growing Pains S02E08 (1986). Mike is cheating Ben in Nintendo's Baseball (1983) while he is not watching. Sounds are a bit off but it seems it is the real thing.

file.gif

Last edited:
Vince Vaughn plays San Andreas and Madden on PS2 in The Break Up. I remember button mashing at one point but I don’t remember which game it was at the time.

Edit

Joaquin Phoenix plays City of Heroes in I’m Still Here. It’s real, he loved the game in real life

An old school hockey game is played by Brody in Mallrats while his girlfriend dumps him setting up his quest for the film and also by the fellas in Swingers, with Vaughn’s character infamously unpausing the menu to concuss the other guy’s player when he stood up to pay for pizza

Edit 2

Adam Sandler’s character is obsessed with Shadow of the Colossus in Reign Over Me. It’s actually related to the main plot

I’m pretty sure there’s a scene in 40 Year Old Virgin where he is just mashing buttons, think Rogan and Rudd also mash buttons playing a fighting game in the film as they call each other gay

Last edited:

TacosNSalsa

Street Fighter IV was in a horror movie ..I think it's called the Apparition . Street Fighter V is in a more recent movie , just can't remember which one..

Also

Dwight plays Second Life in The Office, if that counts

I’m almost positive that Andy and April buy a 360 in Parks and Rec and play Halo but I can’t remember the details for sure

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
There was a whole South Park episode dedicated to WoW and a whole CSI NY episode about Second Life.

I can only find a clip of the CSI episode mixed in with this compilation of dumb gaming stuff from TV shows:

There are also other games in shows in this video, so there's that at least.

Last edited:
In Hackers I think Johnny Lee Miller and Angelina Jolie have a faceoff in a game that resembled Descent, I think? I can’t remember for sure

Edit

I was way off

But this is a real game right?

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Good thread stranno stranno

The Surge in Dark Netflix Episode 9 but I can't find a clip...
Friends, Chandler playing CTR

I don;t know the game but Joey and Ross also play a car game:

Geki-D

Banned
don;t know the game but Joey and Ross also play a car game:
Twisted Metal, maybe? The white car looks like Spectre.

Also I just remembered this masterful scene of Nintendo product placement from The Wizard:

This movie probably has several games in it (never seen it myself) besides Rad Racer.

Last edited:

Can’t believe I didn’t post this first. Classic scene

Stamford branch plays office call of duty

Also in Hurt Locker there is a Gears of War scene but I can’t find it

petran79

Banned
The Accused, a 1988 movie with Jodie Foster where a video game plays a crucial role in unravelling a rapist. Actual arcade board.

Accused,+The+(1988)_035.JPG

Some made up score board

Accused,+The+(1988)_023.JPG

Actual Pinball table
Accused,+The+(1988)_022.JPG

Top Bottom