• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vindictus |OT| - Auto-attacks are out, ass kicking is in.

1stStrike

Banned
title.jpg

Welcome to Vindictus. This is not your ordinary MMO. You will find no auto-attacks here, no princesses. Hope is lost to the people, but through your efforts they may find it anew.

Vindictus is a fast action MMORPG built on Valve's Source engine that offers unprecedented freedom of motion and smooth flowing combat unlike anything ever experienced in a free-to-play MMORPG. Use anything and everything to battle against your foes and work with your allies to fulfill the prophecy and bring Erinn to reality.

pageheader-game-features.png

h-brutal-physics.png

Blood spurts from enemies, right where your twin blades sliced. Enemies fall, only to become corpses you can hoist and brandish as sadistic weapons. Watch as walls crumble and whole buildings topple, providing you with new toys in the battlefield. With Source Engine physics and destructible, interactive environments, Vindictus redefines everything you thought you knew about "free-to-play."

h-party-play.png

When a spider three times your height skitters toward you, you'll want one party member to whip a chain around its legs to pin it in place and another to distract it by flinging debris from a nearby pile of rubble, all so you can sneak behind and unleash insane damage with your blade. On the sidelines, your final party member casts healing spells. Dungeons change each time you enter them, so you'll never get bored.

h-customize-gear.png

Next, personalize your newly crafted gear with stats via the Enchant system and color via the Dye system. In the end, your character will be clad in gear that's powerful, stylish, and unique. Just be careful when picking your undergarments -- too much fighting can break your gear, revealing what you're wearing underneath!

h-story.png

h-the-legend.png

The air is thick with despair, and the battles never cease. Rain falls, yet the land is barren, as if the earth has been drenched in too much bloodshed to bear fruit. Monstrous creatures lurk in every trench, cave, and valley. To survive, people have huddled together, forming ramshackle towns with high walls. Yet, cowering behind those walls does not guarantee safety...

What has become of the outside world? Few people know. Fewer care to find out. As the common folk trudge from one empty day into the next, only one thought keeps them going: the Legend. The Legend will come to pass. The people yearn for it, pray for it. They hope and believe. And because they believe, they know.

One day, they will be in Erinn.

h-erinn-land-of-paradise.png

In this world, there is but one moon, and it shines upon a wasteland where Fomors and beasts roam, hungry to tear flesh from bone. Not so in Erinn. In Erinn, there will be two moons, Eweca and Lateka, and they will shine with the brightness of the gods. There, no one will age or fall ill, and the land will be rich with bountiful resources.

It is the dream of Erinn, the paradise promised in the Legend, which fuels humanity in these dark times. The people wait, as they have for countless generations, for the black-winged goddess to come and save them.

They wait. Because the Legend is truth. It must be, for it is all they have.

pageheader-characters.png

h-fiona.png

comicon1.jpg

Fiona is a balanced warrior who wields a sword and a shield. She values defense, so she uses her shield to protect herself during combat and then strikes strategically when enemies aren’t expecting it. She is able to wear heavy armor from the start and later learns to wear plate armor as well.
Fiona comes from the south. She treasures her privacy and boasts a solemn, serious personality, so no one knows how she came to join the Crimson Blade mercenaries. She rarely speaks about her past. Even as people marvel at her combat abilities, they can’t help but wonder what secrets she’s hiding.

h-lann.png

ehh-vindictus01-1276887717.jpg

Lann specializes in dual-wielding weapons, especially swords. His attacks are speedy, and in the battlefield, enemies are left breathless at his seemingly non-stop whirlwind of slashes and thrusts. Because he relies on speed, Lann starts out wearing light armor. As he gets stronger, he learns how to wear heavy armor without impeding his quick movements.
Lann hails from the northwest. He left his hometown when it was destroyed by Fomors and came to Colhen to join the Crimson Blade mercenaries. He stakes his entire identity on his ability to be victorious in battle.

h-evie.png

vingolem.jpg

Evie relies on her magic and alchemy abilities to support others during combat. She wields a staff and is weak when faced with enemies up close, but from a distance, she can summon powerful golems, revive allies and use ancient magic to perform devastating attacks. She starts out wearing cloth armor but, with time and effort, she can learn to wear light armor as well.

Evie comes from the east. From her demeanor, it’s likely she was raised in a noble family, but no one knows for sure. When asked, Evie just smiles and changes the subject. Despite her youth, Evie is a force to be reckoned with on the battlefield.

Unconfirmed release dates:

Karok: A giant who uses large, column-like weapons

Kai: A male archer that has a druid like appearance with his armor

Customization:

There are a total of 5 characters in Vindictus. You can only use those 5 characters (once all are added in), but they can be heavily customized. Each time you create a character the system generates a completely new one in which you can further customize, so no two Fiona's or Lann's will look alike, for example.

Transformations:

After undergoing a series of quests, a player is able to make a choice whether to become a Paladin or a Dark Knight. Paladins care very much about their comrades, and will be willing to sacrifice themselves to save others.

Paladin:

Paladin.png

Role:

A Paladin's role is to support of the party and play as the tank. Once transformed into a Paladin, the user will gain a huge defense boost to help support the user in battle. Also Paladins have a unique ability in which when other party members are about to die, the user is able to self destruct and heal everybody else in the party. Roles can vary depending on each class.

Info:

To transform into a Paladin, the user will need to use 10 ap and also fill the entire sp gauge in order to transform. Transformation lasts for 2 minutes, and during transformation the user will have unlimited stamina to attack. Their weapons also become augmented with light which will extend the reach for attacks and also increase their attack speed. Once the time is up, the user will transform back into a human and will have all their armor broken.

Dark Knight:

DK.png

Role:

A Dark Knight's role is to be the main damage dealer of the party. Once transformed into a Dark Knight, the user will gain a huge attack boost to help deal additional damage to the enemy. Also Dark Knights have a unique ability in which whenever a Dark Knight attacks a monster during the transformation, the hp lost by the monster will go towards and heals the Dark Knight.

Info:

To transform into a Dark Knight, the user will need to use 10 ap and also fill the entire sp gauge in order to transform. Transformation lasts for 2 minutes, and during transformation the user will have unlimited stamina to attack. Their weapons also become augmented with darkness which will extend the reach for attacks and also increase their attack speed. Once the time is up, the user will transform back into a human and will have all their armor broken.

PvP

Capture the Flag (aka Capture the Flowerpot)

Rules & Goals:

To Get your self started in PVP, you have to choose between two teams. Red Or Blue. Each Team has a different starting point and a different placement of the Flag. To score, grab the opponent"s Flag (Its technically a pot but I am gonna call it a flag) and bring it towards your own flag pole. With each scoring of either your team or your opponent"s, the current round will end and it will signal a start of a new one. Scoring the most within the time limit will allow your team to win the game.

Balance:

To even out the game for all players, your stats, equipment, and weapons will be set according to the PVP system. In note, all skills and effects will be set according to the type of PVP. The necessity for this placement is so that all players can enjoy this brand new type of heroes without complaints. So for our Sub-weapons and potions, we decided to place them in treasure chests around the map for you to find.

Rewards:

Same as fishing, you will receive the Piglet"s Token (Collect 80 of these for 10 Silver Coins!) for every match. Since this is for fun and games, every player who's willing to participate for a round will be able to enjoy each game since both winners and losers will receive the tokens. More rewarding items will be in future updates.

Future Update Content:

There will be even more updates for PVP Modes later on. CTF mode will receive a new map to make it even more diverse for this game type. Also, we will be adding in a guild ranking PVP system to challenge your skills and tactic to be able to aim for the top.

pageheader-things-to-do.png

Marketplace:

The marketplace is where you buy and sell items with other players. To browse what people are selling or list your own items to sell, head over to the board located between the Forge and the Dock.

Selling Items:

Click on the "Sell" button that appears under the pig.
A window will pop up. This is where you list your items. Pick the price, quantity, and sale duration of the items you wish to sell.
When you are ready to upload the items into the Marketplace, click "List."
Once the item sells, the money will be sent to your mailbox.
Note: New to the selling game? Don’t worry! When you list an item, the game will automatically suggest a price for you.

Buying Items:

Click on the "Marketplace" button that appears under the pig to open the Marketplace window.
Use the search box at the top left of the window to search for specific items you’d like to purchase. You can also browse items using the category menu below the search box.
Once you've made a purchase, the gold will automatically be deducted from your account. Your purchase will be sent to your mailbox.
Nothing like a package in the mail to brighten your day and motivate you to go out and kick some Fomorian butt!

Crafting:

In Vindictus all you need to do is gather the materials. The NPC's take care of the crafting, so if you hate spending hours clicking the same button over and over, this is great news for you. If you prefer creating items yourself, then you may see this as a negative. You can also craft multiple items at a time. At higher levels drops are rare and the majority of the equipment you'll get will be through crafting.

Fishing System:

First, you have to buy (or maybe make? We’ll have to wait and see) a fishing pole. Then you can stand on the shore, throw your pole into the ocean, like a shoe, a crate, or a small barrel or, with luck, an ABNORMALLY HUGE FISH that’s two thirds as tall as you on average. Then you have to de-equip the fishing pole and beat the fish–which will try to attack with its tail fin–to death with either a weapon or your bare hands. Once it’s dead, you can carry it around and toss it 20 yards away into a campfire.

h-system-requirements.png

table-specs.png

pageheader-videos.png

Story Trailer

Cinemagic Trailer

Gameplay Trailer

Dark Knight and Paladin Transformations

Evie's Golems + more

Lann

Fiona

Character Customization - Lann

Character Customization - Evie

Character Customization - Fiona

PvP Video #1

PvP Video #2

Fishing System

pageheader-screenshots.png

090.jpg

2009_05_16_0052_03_boss.jpg

0d7cc6952d08c14eeafa97e5d8779692.jpg

vindictus-1.jpg

vindictus-3.jpg

vindictus-character-selection-beta.jpg

vindictus03.jpg

Vindictus01.jpg

2010_05_07_0004_03j.jpg

2010_08_18_0102.jpg

Ventrilo:

I've already setup a Ventrilo server. Address is: voice-ny.maximumvoice.com:9103

Feel free to join up!

Vindictus - Are You Ready?

Beta Key Request thread

Download the game client now

Match up Thread: Click Here

Testimonials:

Lebron said:
Anyway, I've played Magnobi, and it was indeed balls. I've played Vindictus, and it was not balls. Where is my cookie?

Note: This is my first OT, so if I've missed anything, let me know and I'll add it in.

Lebron

You've done well, my son.

Also, Karok is coming out this Fall and Kai will be coming out around Spring/Summer time over in Korea.

Jerk

Banned
It may be Korean and is not Guild Wars 2, but by God this game looks awesome and I cannot wait until tomorrow.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Game looks fuckin' awesome. What class turns into the dark knight / paladin?

Also, in the characters section of the post you're missing a section title for Fiona.

Lebron

vitaminwateryum said:
Game looks fuckin' awesome. What class turns into the dark knight / paladin?
That isn't available over here yet, probably won't be for a while. But each class can choose to go the Dark or Light route I believe.

1stStrike

Banned
I'll touch up the OP a bit when I get home. Had some errands to run.

As for the dark knight/paladin, all the classes can choose to go either at lvl 17 I believe (once you've completed a series of quests).

The difference: the dark knight is all about attack and gets a massive boost, can pretty much keep doing attacks without stamina penalties, etc.

Paladin: Massive defense boost, gives the party a defense boost and a smaller bonus to attack.

Penalties: lasts for 2 minutes after you transform and once the time limit is up all of your armor breaks. So, use it carefully!

Looks beautiful, any advice on where can I get my hands on a beta key?

EDIT: Got it, a simple google search did the trick.

Will definitely check this bad boy out.

1stStrike

Banned
Yep, this is from the source engine. I'll be home in an hour or so, so I'll put some more info about dark knight, paladin, pvp, the engine, etc.

"Great OP, what's the deal with the characters...are they the only two we can play with?"

For now, unless they've added Evie (a mage/scythe user) to the beta who is already in the Korean version, yes. There are 2 more after Evie coming.

rocK`

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
"Great OP, what's the deal with the characters...are they the only two we can play with?"

For now, unless they've added Evie (a mage/scythe user) to the beta who is already in the Korean version, yes. There are 2 more after Evie coming.

Is customization (i.e. armor/skills) that heavy that we won't have two identical characters pvping against each other?

Am I missing something?

"Is customization (i.e. armor/skills) that heavy that we won't have two identical characters pvping against each other?"

I don't know. Armor/weapons seem set based. Skills, you choose which skills to level up. Regarding PVP, I know it's in the Korean version, but I don't think it's a focal point of the game. It seems like 95% of the game is about running the dungeons PSO/Monster Hunter/Whatever-style.

LFG

Neophyte
Teknopathetic said:
I don't know. Armor/weapons seem set based. Skills, you choose which skills to level up. Regarding PVP, I know it's in the Korean version, but I don't think it's a focal point of the game. It seems like 95% of the game is about running the dungeons PSO/Monster Hunter/Whatever-style.

is this game solo friendly or does it require parties to run dungeons? how big can a party be? are there any "raid" type encounters (requiring multiple groups)?

"is this game solo friendly or does it require parties to run dungeons? how big can a party be? are there any "raid" type encounters (requiring multiple groups)?"

Supposedly, everything in the game is solo-able. It will take longer to kill a boss by yourself, but it's possible. Parties are up to 4 players, I've read there are raids of up to 8 players.

Nekobo

Here's an article an associate of mine wrote about Nexon during E3.

http://asiapacificarts.usc.edu/article@apa?e3_expo_2010_nexon_america_15442.aspx

"The hack-and-slash RPG Vindictus was the RPG giant's flagship product at the trade show. Gyselinck explained that the game best represents the company's recent push into the American market, which is often better associated with action games than RPGs.

"A lot of times [in MMOs], the combat is turn-based or auto attacks, and for some people, that's great, but there's a lot of adventure gamers who would love the social aspects of an MMO, but without that adventure type of combat. It just isn't appealing to them. So this is really to broaden that audience and open a whole new world for people who think that MMOs are turn-based and have never gotten to experience the fun social aspect of playing online," Gyselinck said."

1stStrike

Banned
Okay guys, OP has been updated with new information and videos! Fishing system, PvP, engine, Dark Knight and Paladin info, system requirements, and character customization info + videos.

Also, I have a ventrilo server setup for this if any gaffers want to join. Info is in the OP!

Should we have another thread on the Online forum for Nickname sharing? I wanna hook up with some gaffers once the "beta" starts.

1stStrike

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
Should we have another thread on the Online forum for Nickname sharing? I wanna hook up with some gaffers once the "beta" starts.

Sounds like a plan! I'll make one tomorrow once the game goes live.

Lebron

rocK` said:
Is customization (i.e. armor/skills) that heavy that we won't have two identical characters pvping against each other?

Am I missing something?
I only played with Fiona, but she had a mix of DEF, ATK, and Shield skills. I generally leveled up my Shield and DEF skills and I could block high level smash attacks without draining much fatigue or HP(sometimes no penalty at all if I managed a perfect timed block), while one of my friends leveled up mostly ATK and some DEF and couldn't block as effective as I could. I was often right in the bosses face most of the time blocking, while he and others(Lann) had to scramble away. He was also a higher level than me, normally 1-2 levels till we reached the cap at 13.

Basically, skills and player skill are both pretty important. Just because you're a higher level with better armor, doesn't mean you'll do better than someone lower level than you. Gaining AP and leveling your skills is more important than your actual level. Not to say level isn't important at all, just not as important as it is for the typical KMMO.

I can't wait. Been dying for some good hack and slash action on the PC. The brawling genre really is the only thing severely lacking on PC. All 3 consoles had a good deal of brawling action, but not PC or DS.

1stStrike

Banned
Cow Mengde said:
I can't wait. Been dying for some good hack and slash action on the PC. The brawling genre really is the only thing severely lacking on PC. All 3 consoles had a good deal of brawling action, but not PC or DS.

Me too! I've tried countless MMO's over the years but they're always so redundant and boring. Auto-attack, auto-attack, auto-attack. Plus, most of them look like garbage to me or are just way too "happy".

This is a gritty world with a dark story and a very awesome skill-based battle system. Totally hyped!

Yeef

Any word on how many character slots you get per account? Hopefully it's not microtransaction'd. I'm thinking I'll probably play Lann, but I'd like to try all of the classes without having to delete any characters.

Lebron

Well, Vindictus can get pretty boring and redundant after rerunning the same dungeons over and over for materials and AP or to level so you can finally move on to the next one or simply because you're out of tokens for the higher level boats so you have to do the newbie free ones. Though that can be applied to any MMO in some way shape or form, I'm just playing Devil's advocate.

At least it isn't point click :p

1stStrike

Banned
Yeef said:
Any word on how many character slots you get per account? Hopefully it's not microtransaction'd. I'm thinking I'll probably play Lann, but I'd like to try all of the classes without having to delete any characters.

You get 3 character slots per account. There is going to be an in-game shop, so microtransactions will be there. I believe it's mostly for cosmetic stuff though

Lebron said:
Well, Vindictus can get pretty boring and redundant after rerunning the same dungeons over and over for materials and AP or to level so you can finally move on to the next one or simply because you're out of tokens for the higher level boats so you have to do the newbie free ones. Though that can be applied to any MMO in some way shape or form, I'm just playing Devil's advocate.

At least it isn't point click :p

Yeah, that's true, any MMO can get boring with time. However, this is the first one I'm going to be playing that's actually not like all the rest, so I imagine it'll take a while to get bored. Plus, I'm going to be playing with some pretty cool people I work with + any gaffers that decide to join up with us :)

We're gonna have a dedicated 3 person party of MMO vets to start, so no retards or whiny kids to deal with.

Elixist

Game sounds hot, always wanted devil may cry mmo. With this and Tera looking good the future is a bright one. When is open beta?

1stStrike

Banned
Elixist said:
Game sounds hot, always wanted devil may cry mmo. With this and Tera looking good the future is a bright one. When is open beta?

October 6th, but there's still a bunch of closed beta keys available (CB starts tomorrow). Check out the beta key thread linked to at the bottom of the OP!

Yeef

1stStrike said:
You get 3 character slots per account. There is going to be an in-game shop, so microtransactions will be there. I believe it's mostly for cosmetic stuff though
Well, I knew there would be microtransactions (how else would a free to play game survive). What I was afraid of is that, like some other games, they'd make you pay for extra character slots.

Lebron

1stStrike said:
We're gonna have a dedicated 3 person party of MMO vets to start, so no retards or whiny kids to deal with.
The couple times I did come across those whinny 12 yr olds, I would just activate a trap and kill them(only certain dungeons have these) :p

It wasn't that bad when I played in CB, though. People rarely talked(err typed), so it was peaceful. Though it did become annoying sometimes during boss fights when there wasn't any real coordination.This one damn achievement, "kill the boss by kicking him" took me forever because fuckers wouldn't listen when I told them to start kicking(so we all could get the achievement), they just kept normal attacking. Eventually I just ran it solo and did it.

I'll try and party up with you all when I can, though I don't have a mic.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Taking out auto-attacks is not always a good thing. See FFXIV for an example.

But that game keeps the same old "stand still and attack things slowly" combat, so I have more hope for this. The art design looks assy and the fact that it's Korean doesn't help, but I have an early access key so I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

1stStrike

Banned
Yeef said:
Well, I knew there would be microtransactions (how else would a free to play game survive). What I was afraid of is that, like some other games, they'd make you pay for extra character slots.

Yeah, 3 slots should be enough for now. And, since it's F2P, you can always just make another account too I suppose. Personally, if I end up playing this game for any length of time I'll have no problems throwing some cash at the in-game shop.

Lebron said:
The couple times I did come across those whinny 12 yr olds, I would just activate a trap and kill them(only certain dungeons have these) :p

It wasn't that bad when I played in CB, though. People rarely talked(err typed), so it was peaceful. Though it did become annoying sometimes during boss fights when there wasn't any real coordination.This one damn achievement, "kill the boss by kicking him" took me forever because fuckers wouldn't listen when I told them to start kicking(so we all could get the achievement), they just kept normal attacking. Eventually I just ran it solo and did it.

I'll try and party up with you all when I can, though I don't have a mic.

Haha, nice... I can totally see myself doing that too. "Hey man, c'mere..." *triggers trap* "bahahaa...."

Also, I can see how that would be annoying. No worries on the mic - so long as you can at least coordinate with us and listen in that's fine.

Spire said:
Taking out auto-attacks is not always a good thing. See FFXIV for an example.

But that game keeps the same old "stand still and attack things slowly" combat, so I have more hope for this. The art design looks assy and the fact that it's Korean doesn't help, but I have an early access key so I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Hmm... I like the art design :eek: there's this bear hat for Fiona that I'm dying to get. I think Korean MMO's are starting to finally make some advancements for the better though. Vindictus is only one of several that look really promising.

Plus, there's actually in-game cutscenes and it follows the story all the way through, so you're not just given 2 paragraphs of story in the beginning and sent on your way. It follows the storyline the entire game, which is a huge bonus for me.

SephirothRK said:
System requirement seems low for a nice looking game. Hopefully it will work well on my pc.
They seem to be pushing it for all types of systems, they even made a chart to help people
setting it up
009VN-9fa7d5ad-4047-4c0e-b798-dba100361a60.JPG

Top Bottom