• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 2 Coming To PS2

SaitoH

That's awesome. I was just playing VF2 yesterday, oddly enough. I really wish they would release a complete VF collection, up to and including Final Tuned, though. I know I'm asking a lot, but hey, one can dream!

^w^

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
1063880841.jpg

"Now who is copying, bitch"

Cool news, though i dont think Sega Ages will ever make it to Europe, even though it should do because we loved sega before it was cool, and then a little while after it was cool too.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i was worried when i saw the seg ages name. can you imagine a sega ages port along the quality of their outrun job? lol

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
oh my (scans sega ages games) - i wish them luck and hope they can pull something off, but i won't be laying any cash on it.

Azih

Alright Sega needs to really stop. They're starting to get into a league of their own in terms of rereleasing old stuff.

SaitoH said:
That's awesome. I was just playing VF2 yesterday, oddly enough. I really wish they would release a complete VF collection, up to and including Final Tuned, though. I know I'm asking a lot, but hey, one can dream!

^w^

Yes, multiplatform, stuffed lovingly full of VF goodness, with lots of bonus features, like complete version of all VFs, updated VF4 quality versions of classic levels, more character customisation options than you can shake a stick at and features about the history of the game, its following, the characters, how they make the decisions about what styles to include, etc.

lexy

Could someone clarify this for me,

When they say "original version" of the game, is that referring to the original arcade version or the original saturn version?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
No, we already got a perfect port of that on Saturn. We need your RACERS Sega, your ARCADE RACERS.

WarPig

loxy said:
Could someone clarify this for me,

When they say "original version" of the game, is that referring to the original arcade version or the original saturn version?

Believe it's arcade.

DFS.

GhaleonEB

Mr_Furious said:
The fuck we did. Although it was a "faithful" translation, it was far from perfect.

It had the same feel and flow, which was critical. But it was missing Shun's bridge - which was beautiful.

Jumpman

Dice said:
No, we already got a perfect port of that on Saturn. We need your RACERS Sega, your ARCADE RACERS.

Yes Sega, when will we finally see the Sega Ages Virtua Racing released here?

If you call characters with massive poly reduction and no 3D backgrounds "perfect", then yeah we got a perfect port on the Saturn.

I don't call it that, and I'm pumped to get a REAL port on a SONY console.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Drinky Crow:
I don't call it that, and I'm pumped to get a REAL port on a SONY console.
Definitely, since the PS2 is still in need of one of those after VF4 had to be stripped of half the geometry on the characters, detail from the backgrounds, and had to take heavy reductions in lighting, IQ, and texturing from the arcade original.

doncale

Banned
OMFG.... I hope we see a 100% identical Model 2 port of VF2. we have never had a home port of VF2 before. only conversions. or at least, I hope for a 99.9% identical conversion since Model 2 and PS2 are different systems.

No, we already got a perfect port of that on Saturn.

the Saturn conversion/translation of VF2 was nowhere near perfect. unless you think Saturn VF2 was a perfect game in general. it was not identical to the Model 2 arcade, not even close.

Stele

Holds a little red book
1063880841.jpg

Wow, what a sexy dude. Is one of his eyes real big and the other one real real small or something grotesque like that? Why does he wear shades in every picture?

doncale

Banned
Is the DC VF3 version perfect?

it's closer to Model 3 Arcade VF3 than Saturn VF2 is to Model 2 VF2, but no, DC VF3 is not even close to 'perfect' as in arcade exact.

there are absolutely no 'arcade-exact' home versions of any Virtua Fighter, because all of the home versions are conversions/translations/adaptions. The Saturn, 32X, PC, Dreamcast, and PS2 (home systems that had Virtua Fighter games) are all very different from Model 1,2,3 and NAOMI 2. there are no direct home equivalents of Model 1,2,3 or NAOMI 2, like there is with System11 (PS1) or NAOMI (DC) or System 246 (PS2)

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
that kicks ass! and am2 are doing it themselves! rather than delegating it to starving but precocious indonesian children, forced to code at gunpoint! as most sega ages games are!

they could go on porting every single model 2 game there ever was, and i'd buy practically all of them. touring car next, pls. saturn version sucked.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Lazy8s said:
Drinky Crow:

Definitely, since the PS2 is still in need of one of those after VF4 had to be stripped of half the geometry on the characters, detail from the backgrounds, and had to take heavy reductions in lighting, IQ, and texturing from the arcade original.

Yep, a perfect VF2 would be nice...

VF4E PS2 was certainly much closer to the arcade than Saturn VF2 ever was, though...

doncale

Banned
I so badly want an exact port of Model 2 Virtual On Cyber Troopers with system-link play and LAN/NA play. that and Rolling Start BLUEEE BLUE SKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIESSSSSSSS

doncale

Banned
VF4E PS2 was certainly much closer to the arcade than Saturn VF2 ever was, though...

is this reasonable?
Saturn VF2 was around ~30% of the arcade
PS2 VF4E was around ~50% of the arcade

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Where's VF1?
Enhanced VF1 mode is included in VF4:Evo. Looks very cool, as they used models and backgrounds from VF1 arcade, but animation from VF4. It also looks smooth as butter, much nicer than the arcade.

Sho Nuff

Banned
screen_4.jpg

The_Macho_Man_Randy_Savage_-_Randy_Poffo_13.jpg

SHUN'S BRIDGE, OOH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHH

I own the arcade machine (muhahahaha) and allow me to say that this looks very close IF NOT PERFECT. They're using the same monochromatic textures (a staple of Model 2 games). From the lack of color gradiation on Akira's pants I think they're not using Gouraud shading, but maintaining the flat lighting of the arcade one. GAMERS WIN!

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
FortNinety said:
Hopefully we'll get a PERFECT Daytona USA next!

Yeah. But even if it's perfect visually, it still won't considered PERFECT unless it has 8 player online play, true FF and supports Logitech's DFP whee. Then we'll be able to rock and roll.

doncale

Banned
yeah keep in mind that Model 2 had no gouraud shading, at least not in hardware, and certainly not in VF2, even if some Model 2 games might have had it in software ( i dont know).

Sp3eD said:
Why don't they just make a version of it in VF4 : Final Tuned like they did in Evo for VF1?

Either because Final Tuned is never going to be ported, or because VF2 is still considered by many to be the best in the series and they know they can get it to sell on its own.

Top Bottom