• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visions of Mana Demo Incoming?

nikos

Euxdm81.jpeg

This just popped up when I ran Steam, however, it doesn't seem to be available yet. Hopefully it's imminent. I would imagine it's coming to all platforms, just like the Trials of Mana demo.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

I kinda hope progress carries over if it’s available on all platforms.
Yes. This should be standard. I bought Dragon Quest Builders 2 because they let you play 2 hours that carried over. Love when games do this and is the only thing that would justify a preorder.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yes. This should be standard. I bought Dragon Quest Builders 2 because they let you play 2 hours that carried over. Love when games do this and is the only thing that would justify a preorder.
I agreed you get to play early and you can pick up right where you left off. I don’t look forward to replaying an intro. We had enough of that years ago when our memory cards became corrupted and we had to start from the beginning.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Really looking forward to this, hope the demo is meaty

Still no demo in sight, and it got removed from the "latest news" from when you start up Steam. We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled.

Hudo

Euxdm81.jpeg

This just popped up when I ran Steam, however, it doesn't seem to be available yet. Hopefully it's imminent. I would imagine it's coming to all platforms, just like the Trials of Mana demo.
God, that would be dope.

Doomtrain

Still no demo in sight, and it got removed from the "latest news" from when you start up Steam. We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled.
They went to the trouble of making the asset, so clearly a demo IS coming soon. It might have just been posted a few days early by mistake.

Someone probably pushed a button a bit too early, but it's probably coming soon-ish... right?

~edit: hah, same time posting!

Last edited:

Shake Your Rump

Gold Member
I played the Trials of Mana demo, loved it, immediately ordered a physical copy, and haven’t touched the game since. It keeps getting pushed to the back of the queue. Currently behind Octopath Traveler, Trails through Daybreak, and Blue Dragon.

I have Visions preordered thanks to GameStop trade credit, but I don’t foresee even opening the shrink wrap until October (depends on reviews of Metaphor).

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Calm down y'all, the game doesn't come out for another couple of weeks - they have plenty of time to release a demo.

Loved it! Battles were not too simple or complex. Maybe a bit too cutesy, but I don't mind. Lot's of polish all around and the English va isn't terrible. I might switch it to Japanese, but I'd miss out on the party chatter and I wouldn't want to read it. Music seemed a little uninspired, but we'll see.

Was getting it anyway, but I think the demo did a good job of showing a slice of the game, and what to expect.

ssringo

Gold Member
First impression wasn't so good. Got that super wonderful UE4 shader compilation stutter that PC gamers love. Maybe the full game just does a compilation at the start. The 30fps cutscenes (sometimes!) is just lol and combat felt rather clunky. And I really hate hearing southern twang in most dubs. Seems to a be a thing where the character apparently "speaks weird" in Japanese so they give em the ol' twang accent. Maybe it's because southern twang feels so out of place in a fantasy setting or maybe it's simply because I'm from the south. Dunno but it bugs me. And of course there's plenty of dialogue while running around so either listen to the dub, stop to read subtitles constantly or just ignore it all.

I remember really liking Trials of Mana but nostalgia is a helluva drug so maybe I was able to look past issues. I'm going to give it another try but right now it went from day purchase to maybe on sale.

sigmaZ

Played for a bit. My impressions.

Impressions​

Positive​

• Music and Sound
    • Music is way better than expected from the trailers.
    • Decent mixing in the soundtrack.
    • Battle music is fantastic in the trials. Very reminiscent of the lych battles.
  • Controls and Gameplay
    • Standard controls are tighter than expected.
    • Double jump feels great.
    • Surprised there aren’t invisible walls.
    • Unique class system via vessels, though not overly convoluted.
  • Visuals and UI
    • UI looks sharp and crisp.
    • Nice inclusion of transmog with an appearance selection (though it seems limited).
    • Nice overall menu design
    • World design and overlook feel proper Mana.
    • Graphics are decent enough for a lower-budget game.
  • Voice Acting (Japanese)
    • Japanese VO sounds like good anime VO with a wildly different tone than the English dub.
    • The character with the country accent sounds cool in Japanese.

Negative​

• English Dialogue and Voice Acting
    • Awful English dialogue.
    • Sounds like it’s for little kids, reminiscent of old Nickelodeon shows for toddlers.
    • English voice acting is likely to hurt the game’s image.
  • Technical Issues
    • A bit too much pop-in, especially on PC.
    • No ultrawide support.
    • Awkward graphics settings. (Resets the screen when selecting resolution without giving you a chance to choose first etc.)
  • Combat and Gameplay
    • In-battle controls feel too heavy and imo should be more like Ys.
    • Getting knocked over and the time to get up feels absolutely awful.
    • Feels like a director didn't listen to feedback or objections weren’t voiced, especially odd given how smooth Trials was.
    • Combat volume balance is questionable; noise level in battles could be reduced to better balance with the BGM. Though, this isn't that big of an issue.
    • Some random jank at times, but not game-breaking.

Overall​

• The main turn-offs are the English dialogue and the weightiness of the combat.
  • The combat issues make me reconsider the purchasing the game (definitely not playing the demo anymore), as it seems quite shortsighted.
  • Other than that, it feels fun enough and I love the music (though I wish it had more direct melodies like the old games).

I've only played it for a very short while this morning before heading to work, but haven't noticed any stuttering.

Not sure I'll play it to the end (unless that unlocks stuff for the final game?) since, unlike Trials, the demo doesn't actually start at the beginning of the game.

jshackles

No Way Sigh GIF by EUX Compagnie d'Improvisation'Improvisation

In 2024

FFS japan, get with the times
After visiting some computer shops in Japan, I'm convinced that ultrawide monitors just don't exist there. The devs might literally be unaware that people actually use them.

Top Bottom