• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

jonjonaug

So Yurirei/Kindred Spirits is basically "thirsty lesbians, the visual novel" and it's great. Here we have a math nerd lesbian. I was wary of there being a student/teacher pairing but this is the best one yet IMO.

KHa4VxP.png

Aw7amAv.png

YoTB5kS.png

S65TAGM.png

Yuuichi

So Yurirei/Kindred Spirits is basically "thirsty lesbians, the visual novel" and it's great. Here we have a math nerd lesbian. I was wary of there being a student/teacher pairing but this is the best one yet IMO.

Student - teacher is one of my most hated tropes but I'd be lying if I said I didn't get a good chuckle out of that.

jonjonaug

So I finished the demo.

I had high hopes for this, but I was still blown away. This might just be straight up the best yuri media to ever be released officially in English. It's certainly better than any other yuri visual novel I've seen before. Kindred Spirits is definitely a must buy on day one sort of title.

So I finished the demo.

I had high hopes for this, but I was still blown away. This might just be straight up the best yuri media to ever be released officially in English. It's certainly better than any other yuri visual novel I've seen before. Kindred Spirits is definitely a must buy on day one sort of title.

Well that's certainly glowing praise. I need to play this demo.

Holy shit...Just played the Kindred Spirits demo..i'm...blown away too. Best Yuri thing i've experienced in a long time...I'm honestly shocked about how good it is.

Oddly enough, it dosen't seem to be just, "OH yeah girls love is great. Pure." They actually talk about there feelings, and sexuality. Haven't actually heard the words, "homosexual", or "gay" in a Yuri thing for awhile.

The demo is like 4 hours long too, which is really generous considering it's just a demo.

jonjonaug

Holy shit...Just played the Kindred Spirits demo..i'm...blown away too. Best Yuri thing i've experienced in a long time...I'm honestly shocked about how good it is.

Oddly enough, it dosen't seem to be just, "OH yeah girls love is great. Pure." They actually talk about there feelings, and sexuality. Haven't actually heard the words, "homosexual", or "gay" in a Yuri thing for awhile.

The demo is like 4 hours long too, which is really generous considering it's just a demo.

It's much more along the lines of what I'd expect from the more serious works that run in Yuri Hime instead of things from Manga Time Kirara and its sister publications (which is usually the level of writing quality and seriousness that you'd expect from yuri VNs).

As for the demo length, Mangagamer demos are typically pretty meaty. For a while (before Mangagamer started slooooowly putting out the remakes) the entirety of Higurashi chapter 1 was free. No, Thank You had most of the prologue chapter and one H scene included for each of the guys.

Jazz573

Only two reasons I can imagine: holder not interested (to license, or to talk with the party that would license) or price too high.

I would love to get White Album 2. Though I'd also love to get White Album.

But apparently Aquaplus has no issues working with Atlus USA. :p

just bought Planetarian from sale and it's downloaded.

edit: 42 minutes in... can't really do a single sitting run. Not feeling it yet.

cj_iwakura

Finally(FINALLY) finished Heaven's Feel.

It had some serious highs, but UBW was really the pinnacle IMO. the final battle of Heaven's Feel was pure weaksauce, nothing ever topped Emiya/Gilgamesh in UBW.

They couldn't even do a CG of Emiya fighting Kirei? What a let down.

That said, the endings were sweet, and boy is that normal HF end a tearjerker. Talk about tragic.

the final battle of Heaven's Feel was pure weaksauce, nothing ever topped Emiya/Gilgamesh in UBW.
You couldn't be more wrong.
Emiya/Kirei
is great, and the best part of HF is the boss rush in the last part of it.
But there is one? Or is that only in realta nua?

cj_iwakura

You couldn't be more wrong.
Emiya/Kirei
is great, and the best part of HF is the boss rush in the last part of it.

But there is one? Or is that only in realta nua?

There sure isn't in the PC VN. The CONCEPT of the fight was great, the depiction was lame. Emiya/Gil was WAY more hype.

That said, I did enjoy
when Emiya went postal and just beat the hell out of Kirei.

It didn't have the sheer impact of Emiya taking on GILGAMESH though.

We all know
Kirei's an ass, but he's always gotten his. Gilgamesh had that coming SO many times over, and his comeuppance was GLORIOUS.

jonjonaug

It had some serious highs, but UBW was really the pinnacle IMO. the final battle of Heaven's Feel was pure weaksauce, nothing ever topped Emiya/Gilgamesh in UBW.

That said, the endings were sweet, and boy is that normal HF end a tearjerker. Talk about tragic.

I looked it up and RN has a total of 21 CGs for that scene, compared to the original release's three or four.

Heaven's Feel in general is greatly improved in RN when it comes to visual fidelity, mostly because it was easily the weakest of the three routes in that category in the original release. The RN version of Fate has the Saber date scene and some of the finale enhanced, and the RN version of UBW has the last Saber/Assassin fight enhanced, but HF's enhancements extend to all of the major fights in the last few days, the way the shadow is presented, as well as additional CGs for some dramatic scenes like
Ilya closing the Great Grail

Jazz573

I looked it up and RN has a total of 21 CGs for that scene, compared to the original release's three or four.

Heaven's Feel in general is greatly improved in RN when it comes to visual fidelity, mostly because it was easily the weakest of the three routes in that category in the original release. The RN version of Fate has the Saber date scene and some of the finale enhanced, and the RN version of UBW has the last Saber/Assassin fight enhanced, but HF's enhancements extend to all of the major fights in the last few days, the way the shadow is presented, as well as additional CGs for some dramatic scenes like
Ilya closing the Great Grail

I couldn't imagine playing the non Realta Nua version. In fact, I don't understand why anyone would play the old version.

upandaway

The most tragic end in FSN is actually UBW
if you consider Sakura

cj_iwakura

I couldn't imagine playing the non Realta Nua version. In fact, I don't understand why anyone would play the old version.
Because I was told the cut content is integral to Sakura's route.

It certainly gives a unique spin on her character, otherwise I sure could've done without it.

Jazz573

The RN PC versions have been patched, and there's also a hybrid patch that reinserts the censored material and lets you use the Vita version's music.

But you can't buy RN PC anymore.

You can buy it on Getchu and Amazon. :p
Edit: Nevermind only the non-RN version. Very strange.

Jazz573

Type Moon sold RN PC as a digital download with each route being its own game, but as far as I'm aware it's no longer for sale.

I don't understand why only the inferior version is being sold. You could probably still get a used copy.

I had resort to less than legal ways. I would have bought it if it was available, but also at that time I felt uncomfortable having physical eroge, which I'm not like now. Not that it would make a difference, since you can't buy the RN version physically, and nor could you back in January 2015. I should buy the Vita version to support them.

cj_iwakura

So what does the censored version change? Something about her being a vampire? I'd appreciate a breakdown of how they updated it(including this 'dragon' thing).

Also, what should I do next? I figured my next 'epic'(re: insanely long) VN would be either Ever17 or Chaos;Head.

cj_iwakura

Neither C;H or Ever17 is that long, with E17 being the longer of the two mostly due to its questionable pacing.

Hopefully nothing else in the world is as long as F/SN, good god. Cut out the cooking/slice of life stuff and it would've been half as long.

So what does the censored version change? Something about her being a vampire? I'd appreciate a breakdown of how they updated it(including this 'dragon' thing).

Also, what should I do next? I figured my next 'epic'(re: insanely long) VN would be either Ever17 or Chaos;Head.

Lol what

Ever17 is 30hr at most, and AFAIK Chaos Head is similar, I'm sure it isn't that long.

Now if you do want a long VN, try YU-NO but don't use a walkthrough.

Jazz573

Lol what

Ever17 is 30hr at most, and AFAIK Chaos Head is similar, I'm sure it isn't that long.

Sorry, but I feel that's really awful advice. Playing without a walkthrough would be absolutely painful. I probably would have hated the game, had I not used one.

Yuuichi

Lol what

I remember C;H being no more than 15 hours long, the "choices" in the non noah version are pretty paltry and easy to completely miss unless you know they're there.

Sorry, but I feel that's really awful advice. Playing without a walkthrough would be absolutely painful. I probably would have hated the game, had I not used one.

I just added the "no walkthrough" part to extend their play time. Probably I, too, would have hated the game without a walkthrough.

I remember C;H being no more than 15 hours long, the "choices" in the non noah version are pretty paltry and easy to completely miss unless you know they're there.

I haven't played C;H yet so it's even shorter than I expected then.

Endruen

So, yesterday I finished Umineko. I stayed awake up until 4:30 AM just to finish it once and for all. I watched the anime some years ago after watching Higurashi, and it was a let down to know that it wasn't finished.
It really is a great VN. I ended with more questions than answers.
I will discuss it with the friend that made me play it and eventually I will search for a record of the red truths and try to solve the games.
Now I feel like something is missing in my life... *sigh*... I guess is normal due to its length.
If any of you haven't played it yet, just do it. You'll thank me later.
<See you again. Have a nice day.>

cj_iwakura

So, yesterday I finished Umineko. I stayed awake up until 4:30 AM just to finish it once and for all. I watched the anime some years ago after watching Higurashi, and it was a let down to know that it wasn't finished.
It really is a great VN. I ended with more questions than answers.
I will discuss it with the friend that made me play it and eventually I will search for a record of the red truths and try to solve the games.
Now I feel like something is missing in my life... *sigh*... I guess is normal due to its length.
If any of you haven't played it yet, just do it. You'll thank me later.
<See you again. Have a nice day.>

Keep in mind a close friend of Ryukishi died prior to the finale, so that definitely affected things, and you can probably tell.

That said, go play the fighting game(since it was my labor of love for a year). It has some great stuff in it, both dramatic and hilarious. There's an entire story with Lucifer and Chiester focused on getting the servants better pay. And carrots.

Endruen

Keep in mind a close friend of Ryukishi died prior to the finale, so that definitely affected things, and you can probably tell.

That said, go play the fighting game(since it was my labor of love for a year). It has some great stuff in it, both dramatic and hilarious. There's an entire story with Lucifer and Chiester focused on getting the servants better pay. And carrots.

I will, check it, thanks :)
At one point I thought I'd spoiled myself when I looked for an image of Battler and I found Dark Battler. Thank God my friend told me it was from the fightning game and had nothing to do with the VN.

cj_iwakura

I will, check it, thanks :)
At one point I thought I'd spoiled myself when I looked for an image of Battler and I found Dark Battler. Thank God my friend told me it was from the fightning game and had nothing to do with the VN.

Yeah, that never happens in the VN, but elements of his story DO spoil the VN, like
his parents being the killers in one route.

Knurek

What? How? (I/O spoilers)
I dropped it when I was going for Route D' and I was barely 20 hours in!

You know what, I checked my notes and it was 41 hours. And that's with zero skipping of voice samples, so if you just read you could have had 20 hours, true.
Sorry, I just forgot what I was doing with my time in 2014. :)

Top Bottom