• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Marche90

It looks like JAST is bringing Aselia to Steam too.

Seinarukana also has a website now. The physical version of the game includes a Steam key.

Btw, seems like the site has small issues or they thought adding written character profiles and a working link to the preorder wasn't important.

Aselia on steam ? glad of them to improve their catalogue ..but this game hasn't aged very well.

I want to agree with you but a part of me says that it was only because the difficutly ramps up quite a bit late in the game and having to fight all the battles to get all the endings is a chore. If they get to fix at least how annoying is to fight battles just to get to the rest of the endings that would be great
I know I'm asking a lot :lol

Any news about release date on Grisaia no Meikyuu? 2017?

Meikyuu should be out this year. Rakuen's the one that might slip to 2017

Haven't heard of this title. They keep saying 2 so is it both games or just the sequel?

Aselia is the first game that JAST released years ago, but it never got on Steam before. Seinarukana is the next game in the series, but I don't think it requires you to know Aselia's story. Both games are VN/SRPG hybrids, with the combat kind of playing like Ogre Battle.

Aselia on steam ? glad of them to improve their catalogue ..but this game hasn't aged very well.
It's been 5 years or so since I've played it, but I doubt it's aged any since then. There's not enough games like this in English for it to "age."

There's more info about Seinarukana from Aroduc, the translator.
While I'm talking about projects, I guess I should say something about Seinarukana. As I mentioned in a comment a week or so back, I haven't really done anything with it for a long time. I had always known that a Steam version was possible, if just with the sex scenes yanked out like Romanesque's were, but I believe that they got the rights to the replacement content used in the Special Edition coming from the PSP version. Those CGs aren't exactly pretty in comparison to the originals, but it's better than replacing the sex with nothing at all. There's also quite a large chunk of extra text for the replacement scenes and I think maybe some extra stuff, which I got the offer to work on, but declined, so any further delays are totally all my fault. My bad, everyone.
So the Steam version is using the PSP assets and replacement scenes,

Edit: And here is the Aselia greenlight page.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Aselia is the first game that JAST released years ago, but it never got on Steam before. Seinarukana is the next game in the series, but I don't think it requires you to know Aselia's story. Both games are VN/SRPG hybrids, with the combat kind of playing like Ogre Battle.

I have Aselia but haven't played it yet. So essentially Seinarukana is Aselia 2? Mostly hung up with the sequel numbering...

EDIT: Also it says "adults only", so I will go ahead and assume that the Steam version is an all-ages one :p

Yuuichi

For the people asking how the games are related, it's basically a shared universe thing. You don't have to have played Aselia, but it provides some additional context to the world, and one route of Aselia is made to be the "true end" in Seinarukana because (minor? character spoiler)
one of the party members you get is Yuuto (Aselia's protag) and Aselia's daughter.

Now what I will say, several chapters in and even though it's been quite a while since I last played is Seinarukana was a strategic challenge, and people who aren't used to the combat strategies of Aselia may have a hard time. Anyone who played Aselia to the end will tell you the first two chapters aren't too bad, then the game starts throwing curveballs at you and you need to use every trick in the book to just get by. It's remarkably complicated for it's surface simplicity.

One more note because inevitably someone will ask about it: there is at least one story relevant H-scene, possibly more. No idea what they edited/changed in the PSP version but it sounds like they at least acknowledged that and properly replaced it.

Endruen

Does someone here know anything about VN translation?
I bought Amnesia: Memories on Steam recently, and my girlfriend loved the anime and she would like to play it, but she doesn't speak english.
I searched for a Spanish patch but I didn't find any, so I'm thinking about translating it myself.
The problem is I know nothing about scripts or modding, so I have no idea how to proceed. I found a script where I managed to extract nearly all the files, but I don't know how to pack them back for the game to run.
Any idea?

Shizuka

I bought Amnesia: Memories on Steam recently, and my girlfriend loved the anime and she would like to play it, but she doesn't speak english.
I searched for a Spanish patch but I didn't find any, so I'm thinking about translating it myself.
The problem is I know nothing about scripts or modding, so I have no idea how to proceed. I found a script where I managed to extract nearly all the files, but I don't know how to pack them back for the game to run.
Any idea?

There is a better forum where you can ask for that information, but I'm not sure I can link that here. Either way, wouldn't it be easier to just translate it on the fly while she's playing and you're next to her? Patching another language is harder than it sounds.

Endruen

There is a better forum where you can ask for that information, but I'm not sure I can link that here. Either way, wouldn't it be easier to just translate it on the fly while she's playing and you're next to her? Patching another language is harder than it sounds.

Yeah, that's Plan B XD

I know it's difficult, I've been searching some info and there's a lot of hexadecimal language I don't fully understand.
I've always wanted to translate some english-only games since I have a good english level and there's a lot of people in Spain who don't speak it, the problem is I either would've to learn a lot of code or search for a translating group.
Well, thank you anyway.

Also, nice avatar
even though I'm hating Bern so far.
I've just started Umineko's 8th episode, and I really want to finish it already, it's been so long since I started it...

Jazz573

Yeah, that's Plan B XD

I know it's difficult, I've been searching some info and there's a lot of hexadecimal language I don't fully understand.
I've always wanted to translate some english-only games since I have a good english level and there's a lot of people in Spain who don't speak it, the problem is I either would've to learn a lot of code or search for a translating group.
Well, thank you anyway.

Also, nice avatar
even though I'm hating Bern so far.
I've just started Umineko's 8th episode, and I really want to finish it already, it's been so long since I started it...

I'd also like to point out that going from Japanese->English->Spanish is not a good idea. There already was probably some stuff lost in the original translation into English. There are many Spanish TLs, however I believe most were translated from Japanese. It would probably be okay if it's only for personal use, but if you were trying to the best quality possible you would want to translate directly from Japanese into Spanish.

Endruen

I'd also like to point out that going from Japanese->English->Spanish is not a good idea. There already was probably some stuff lost in the original translation into English. There are many Spanish TLs, however I believe most were translated from Japanese. It would probably be okay if it's only for personal use, but if you were trying to the best quality possible you would want to translate directly from Japanese into Spanish.
Well, Japanese sure is out of my reach. I want to learn it eventually, though.
I haven't followed a lot of translation teams, but most of the ones I've seen (videogames, manga, anime...) where directly translated from other fan translations that were done from Japanese to English.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
If you want to try and work on things yourself theres always getting in contact with the team members and ask for the tools and keys used in their translation.

Endruen

If you want to try and work on things yourself theres always getting in contact with the team members and ask for the tools and keys used in their translation.
The problem is that it's an official translation, so there's no way I can ask them.
Anyway, I guess I will just read it aloud for her. Let's hope that makes her want to read more actually translated to Spanish VNs!

Knurek

You might want to try something shorter than a VN for starts, like the Lord of the Rings trilogy or Baroque Cycle.

Tizoc

Did anyone who backed the Narcissu Kickstarter from a few months back get their Key yet? I backed but hadn't gotten my key it seems >_>
EDIT: Oh wait it shows I own it on Steam, how'd that happen o_O

Woo! Looking forward to getting my physical copy so I can (finally) play the game. They really need to do what they did with Root Double and include a digital copy with every physical tier. It's a little annoying that people who paid less money get to play it months before people who paid more. Only reason I'm not more annoyed is because I've got plenty of stuff to fill the time.

Speaking of which, I finished Yumiko's route in Grisaia last night. That was 3/5 down, now I'm working on Sachi's. Makina will be last.

Shizuka

Sekai Project’s Unwanted Child. It's an article that tells the journey of Sekai Project's first visual novel Kickstarter. It's nothing new for people that know Sekai Project, but I get the feeling that the company is still neck deep with these problems and it makes me wonder if the same will happen with recent projects.

I've said that I might back Root*Double and I didn't want to share that article on its topic, since it'd be unrelated and a dick move, but I think I'm going with the $1 tier for now. I went with the $1 tier for Clannad and in the end, that's all Sekai Project got from me for the project, even though I bought a copy on Steam during the first week. I might do the same with Root*Double in the end. Sekai Project would still get my money, but I wouldn't be hung up with updates signaling everything being delayed endlessly.

Sekai Project’s Unwanted Child. It's an article that tells the journey of Sekai Project's first visual novel Kickstarter. It's nothing new for people that know Sekai Project, but I get the feeling that the company is still neck deep with these problems and it makes me wonder if the same will happen with recent projects.

I've said that I might back Root*Double and I didn't want to share that article on its topic, since it'd be unrelated and a dick move, but I think I'm going with the $1 tier for now. I went with the $1 tier for Clannad and in the end, that's all Sekai Project got from me for the project, even though I bought a copy on Steam during the first week. I might do the same with Root*Double in the end. Sekai Project would still get my money, but I wouldn't be hung up with updates signaling everything being delayed endlessly.

If we're just talking about the PC digital version of Root Double, there's not really much risk with it considering they're almost done. Backer rewards and the Vita port are the things I'd worry about considering SP's past history.

But yeah, the WEE and WAS Kickstarters are borderline failures at this point. It's been almost two years for WEE and all they have delivered is one short game with a subpar script.

Shizuka

If we're just talking about the PC digital version of Root Double, there's not really much risk with it considering they're almost done. Backer rewards and the Vita port are the things I'd worry about considering SP's past history.

But yeah, the WEE and WAS Kickstarters are borderline failures at this point. It's been almost two years for WEE and all they have delivered is one short game with a subpar script.

And those are the things I'd want if I backed the Kickstarter. If I wanted the game alone, I'd just wait for the Steam release, which, in the end, it'll end up what I'll do.

Aku-Audi

OK note that these particular games were before my time being part of the company, but first off that article is written by a very opiniated translator who messages us often asking us to use him and when turned down, is very quickly on either Reddit or something with those sorts of "inside stories". You have direct contact with people in this company so it shouldn't be hard to get proper answers to your questions rather than a blog from a polish fansubber.

But, in the case of those 2 games, there was a number of issues as far as I can tell looking back into the production logs, both with SP still establishing themselves and finding solid footing as an official company, and also from devs being small and inexperienced with international dealings and so on. That's in no shape or form saying that those games are over and done with, just that they brought with them some unforseen production issues.

I'll look a little more into WAS and what I can personally do for that game once my other projects slows down. WEE Ep 3 is well on the way and I am working on it as well.

Shizuka

18s104l.jpg

A link to the tweet in case anyone wants to vote.

I voted for Chaos;Head Noah because it's the first game in the series, and the other untranslated main games take elements from it (even Steins;Gate 0 does, or so I hear). Plus now is the best time to get it out before PS3 becomes completely irrelevant.

Jazz573

I voted for Chaos;Head Noah because it's the first game in the series, and the other untranslated main games take elements from it (even Steins;Gate 0 does, or so I hear). Plus now is the best time to get it out before PS3 becomes completely irrelevant.

Isn't 0 mainly based on dramas and light novels?

The base game has a fan translation, give me Chaos;Child.

Chaos;Child is coming out on PC, it'll get a fan translation eventually if an official release never happens. But anyway, C;C really doesn't make sense in official terms, they'd basically be asking people to go play the fan translation of C;H if they want to know what's going on.

Chaos;Child is coming out on PC, it'll get a fan translation eventually if an official release never happens. But anyway, C;C really doesn't make sense in official terms, they'd basically be asking people to go play the fan translation of C;H if they want to know what's going on.

Oh I know it doesn't make sense, but this is just a fantasy poll anyway.

jonjonaug

Chaos;Child is coming out on PC, it'll get a fan translation eventually if an official release never happens.

Good fan TLs for popular titles are mostly dead. Almost everyone good in the scene is working for Mangagamer or Sekai now. I don't think I'd want a Chaos;Child TL with what's left these days.

The base game has a fan translation, give me Chaos;Child.

Noah adds so much content that the base game is irrelevant, and the fan translation is partially unfinished anyway.

There's a Vita version now. I think it restored the content that was in the 360 release that was cut for later releases too (rating is 18+ instead of 17+).

Yuuichi

DRM this eroge maker was touting as uncrackable was like immediately cracked.

Twitter whining followed.

Is akabesoft still using KAG and expecting there to be some sort of actual protection possible on their games? In 2016?

inb4 denuvo lol

Marche90

Is akabesoft still using KAG and expecting there to be some sort of actual protection possible on their games? In 2016?

inb4 denuvo lol

Probably the only viable option at this point if any developer is serious about piracy. Other options are only to delay the inevitable.

Also, nice going with the tablet, Shizuka.

Probably the only viable option at this point if any developer is serious about piracy. Other options are only to delay the inevitable.

Also, nice going with the tablet, Shizuka.

Delaying the inevitable is the point in most cases, it's day 1 piracy that drives publishers most crazy.

Top Bottom