• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Shizuka

Well I wasn't expecting this so soon:

Maybe they're ramping up?!

Despite making the OT, I've only really played the first chapter. I didn't want to rush and play it only to wait for further chapters to be released every six months. Glad to know it's getting a little faster, I might go back and play the other two soon.

Alanae

So apparently a poster in the background of a stream by Light confirms a Steam/English release of Dies Irae. https://twitter.com/deepbluejeer/status/766673628171603969
this is an absolutely insane time for visual novel localisations.
I hope somebody brings watanbe's games next.

Oh wow. I wonder who is localizing it. Is this Conjueror's project?
https://twitter.com/Conjueror/status/766707731613028353
make of that what you wish.

jonjonaug

Well I wasn't expecting this so soon:

Maybe they're ramping up?!

Two reasons for this, I think. There were a lot of organizational problems getting the first three chapters together, due to staff coming and going (both the TLer and Editors changed around a few times), and chapter 4 is just shorter than the other chapters to begin with.

Nozomi

Banned
Dies Irae is getting leaked and we have no thread about it. Sad times.

PINCPMq.png

Using the release Dies Irae ~Amantes amentes~ as a base, the game's text is being translated to English.
Steam will be used to bring Dies Irae to users around the world!
The latest version of light's game engine will be used.
The game will support Windows Vista/7/8.1/10, and the resolution will be expanded from 800x600 to 1280x720 (HD)!

Jazz573

PINCPMq.png

Using the release Dies Irae ~Amantes amentes~ as a base, the game's text is being translated to English.
The game will support Windows Vista/7/8.1/10, and the resolution will be expanded from 800x600 to 1280x720 (HD)!

Uhh...

So apparently a poster in the background of a stream by Light confirms a Steam/English release of Dies Irae. https://twitter.com/deepbluejeer/status/766673628171603969

Nozomi

Banned

I meant a seperate thread because its one of the more well known VNs like Muv Luv or Steins;Gate.

Talking about Steins;Gate. Some interessting infos from his translator regarding Dies Irae.

Reading Steiner ‏@DistantValhalla 3 Std.
Funny thing about the Dies Irae Eng leak is this is the 2nd time they accidentally leaked it, but only 1-2 JP guys noticed the first time.

Reading Steiner ‏@DistantValhalla 3 Std.
Masada mentioned it on a Light livestream several months ago, but few people were actually tuned in.

Jazz573

I meant a seperate thread because its one of the more well known VNs like Muv Luv or Steins;Gate.

Talking about Steins;Gate. Some interessting infos from his translator regarding Dies Irae.

Within the VN community yes, but not outside of it. A lot of people know Steins;Gate and F/SN because of their anime, but Dies Irae does not have the same recognition outside of the VN community, so it's not at all surprising there's no thread.

jzbluz

I keep getting Dies irae confused with Baldr Sky for some reason. I was thinking of DI when SP announced BS, and vice versa when I saw the news on Twitter about DI.

fertygo

Aw yiss, its been a long time since I consume my doze of chuuni.. and Dies Irae is on my wishlist for long time

I'm so happy

Shizuka

Flowers is crashing every single time I try to run it on my notebook. I'll try to uninstall and download it again, or else I'm filling for a refund.

Reading The House In Fata Morgana. Shit went places real quick (ironic for a VN about a house), and I closed it for now and I'm waiting for it to get dark before continuing- gotta maximize immersion!

Shizuka

I can't get it running on my notebook for the life of me. What's the standard resolution for the game? That's what's messing up running the game on my tablet.

Aters

PINCPMq.png

I'm so looking forward to it and not looking forward to it. Everything I've heard about this game is interesting, but at the same time, I don't know if I can handle this much chunibyo.

JulianImp

Got halfway through chapter 6 of DR2, and man, I love it when games purposefully break
their graphics. Turning mesh textures off and rendering only wireframes (with no culling, to boot), having random geometry floating about, breaking the screen space into blocks to have them fall off one by one and applying missingno-style distortions to both text and player sprites was really cool.

One thing I can't understand is why Nagito purposefully
left the clues that'd let the rest know about the poison, rather than just hiding the flask back in the pharmacy or something (since he couldn't actually get rid of it due to the 'no littering' rule). That was the only way the others managed to learn about what had truly killed him, and thus led them to correctly guessing what was going on. Messing with the evidence would've made it more likely that they would get nowhere once they tried to find any explanation that didn't amount to suicide.
Still, I really liked how they managed to use an ability prone to ridiculous ass-pulls such as Nagito's super luck in a fair and interesting way, so I've got to commend the writers for pulling that off.

Yuuichi

Got halfway through chapter 6 of DR2, and man, I love it when games
purposefully break their graphics. Turning mesh textures off and rendering only wireframes (with no culling, to boot), having random geometry floating about, breaking the screen space into blocks to have them fall off one by one and applying missingno-style distortions to both text and player sprites was really cool.

One thing I can't understand is why Nagito purposefully
left the clues that'd let the rest know about the poison, rather than just hiding the flask back in the pharmacy or something (since he couldn't actually get rid of it due to the 'no littering' rule). That was the only way the others managed to learn about what had truly killed him, and thus led them to correctly guessing what was going on. Messing with the evidence would've made it more likely that they would get nowhere once they tried to find any explanation that didn't amount to suicide.
Still, I really liked how they managed to use an ability prone to ridiculous ass-pulls such as Nagito's super luck in a fair and interesting way, so I've got to commend the writers for pulling that off.

you should probably spoiler tag that first part

Shizuka

lFtzU4qh.jpg

Managed to get it working on my tablet. Still not working on my notebook. At least I can play it somehow, that's enough for me.

It's 4am and thinking about Fata Morgana isn't letting me sleep. It's like I'm playing Saya no Uta, Umineko and YU-NO all over again. At once. Holy fuck. Haven't enjoyed a VN this much since YU-NO last summer.

I'm in the fifth door and fuck, Giselle's backstory hit HARD (not that I have any similar experience, but...). I just got to the part where they are as happy as they could be, and I know the only road is downhill from here. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. I'm at the point where it utterly breaks my heart to guess what's next, but I can't really keep myself from reading onward ANYWAYS. I LOVE IT.

In the Fourth Door, accidentally finding hidden text in the backlog was insane.
Then, when I was almost done, two characters (who I assume to be Michel and Giselle) started to TALK TO EACH OTHER INSIDE THE BACKLOG. Fucking crazy. And then there's the red intermissions by Morgana.
Absolutely beautiful sprites in every way possible (contender for the best style I've seen), pretty good CGs (but 4:3 really, really hurts), 10/10 OST. I love this game.

P.S:

For the choices, I kind of chose to "act" for every one of them- took the key from the portrait, looked in the mirror, etc. Got Endings 1, 2 and 3. Don't know if I'm on the true ending (if there's one) path, or if I'm anywhere close to the end for that matter and I don't want to know.

Also, played another 2016 release besides Zero Time Dilemma so now I have a game I can call GOTY 2016 without cringing, whee!

edit:

I'll just drop this OST here, if you needed a reason to get sold on this VN.

It's not indicative of the whole atmosphere, but rather the level of prowess you can expect from this VN when it comes to establishing mood.

edit 2:

holy hell

Shizuka

It's 4am and thinking about Fata Morgana isn't letting me sleep. It's like I'm playing Saya no Uta, Umineko and YU-NO all over again. At once. Holy fuck. Haven't enjoyed a VN this much since YU-NO last summer.

I'm in the fifth door and fuck, Giselle's backstory hit HARD (not that I have any similar experience, but...). I just got to the part where they are as happy as they could be, and I know the only road is downhill from here. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. I'm at the point where it utterly breaks my heart to guess what's next, but I can't really keep myself from reading onward ANYWAYS. I LOVE IT.

In the Fourth Door, accidentally finding hidden text in the backlog was insane.
Then, when I was almost done, two characters (who I assume to be Michel and Giselle) started to TALK TO EACH OTHER INSIDE THE BACKLOG. Fucking crazy. And then there's the red intermissions by Morgana.
Absolutely beautiful sprites in every way possible (contender for the best style I've seen), pretty good CGs (but 4:3 really, really hurts), 10/10 OST. I love this game.

P.S:

For the choices, I kind of chose to "act" for every one of them- took the key from the portrait, looked in the mirror, etc. Got Endings 1, 2 and 3. Don't know if I'm on the true ending (if there's one) path, or if I'm anywhere close to the end for that matter and I don't want to know.

Also, played another 2016 release besides Zero Time Dilemma so now I have a game I can call GOTY 2016 without cringing, whee!

popcorn-blank.gif

Taruranto

Higanbana 3th Night
m7MrztL.png

Eheh, this was pretty good. I think I said before, but the pacing is really excellent, the scenes flow one after another without interruption, there is no giant wall of text repeating stuff every time a character tries to do something, I finished this chapter in one sitting!

As for the final twist, I'll admit I didn't see it coming
The whole "Princess" thing tipped me off, but I just dismissed it as ANIME. Marie character development has been pretty good, she comes off a pretty strong character, I'm curious to see more of her.
As much I enjoy Higurashi, it really feels self-contained stories may be the best format for R07. Actually, Meakashi-hen is his best work and it's sorta self contained too, a very personal story.

Shizuka

I hate visual novels with arbitrary bad endings, like Flowers.
Here's a bad ending because you didn't guess the name of the wheelchair girl correctly.

Fuck you.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I hate visual novels with arbitrary bad endings, like Flowers.
Here's a bad ending because you didn't guess the name of the wheelchair girl correctly.

Fuck you.
Oh boy, you're in for a ride then. Can't wait to see people's impressions when they finish.

So, yeah. Binged possibly close to 5 hours of Fata Morgana last night.

holy shit.

That got very real, very fast. It's been a while since I've read anything so strikingly painful as the seventh door. Fuck the seventh door. Holy fuck. I haven't got many words- I've never been under similar pain-, but holy fuck. I think it was tastefully done, for what it's worth, and how the VN then briefly returns to previous scenes (such as Giselle and Michel interacting for the first time) and how you see the scenes so differently after going through the fifth, and then the seventh door. At some point after the seventh door, the game returns to a particular scene (forgot which), and it was incredibly impactful- knowing the true mechanics beneath those interactions, the reactions, the dialogue- it was incredible. I'm cis, and I think that the VN did a great job of portraying just how frustrating and painful lives trans/intersex people can have if they are not accepted. I didn't expect the VN to go there... but ultimately, I'm glad it did.

I'm currently in the final door, and to be perfectly honest it feels like a sort of epilogue. The pacing has slowed down -not too unwelcome after that hell of a door-, and to be perfectly honest Morgana's door being a half-hour affair before this makes the whole deal fall somewhat flat in comparison. Yesterday, I stopped at the part where Mell was just about to explain why he got involved in Morgana's imprisonment.

I love this VN so far, it is a journey wholly unique to its own, and has a fan-fucking-tastic art style and unforgettable OSTs to boot. GOTY.

Shizuka

So, yeah. Binged possibly close to 5 hours of Fata Morgana last night.

holy shit.

That got very real, very fast. It's been a while since I've read anything so strikingly painful as the seventh door. Fuck the seventh door. Holy fuck. I haven't got many words- I've never been under similar pain-, but holy fuck. I think it was tastefully done, for what it's worth, and how the VN then briefly returns to previous scenes (such as Giselle and Michel interacting for the first time) and how you see the scenes so differently after going through the fifth, and then the seventh door. At some point after the seventh door, the game returns to a particular scene (forgot which), and it was incredibly impactful- knowing the true mechanics beneath those interactions, the reactions, the dialogue- it was incredible. I'm cis, and I think that the VN did a great job of portraying just how frustrating and painful lives trans/intersex people can have if they are not accepted. I didn't expect the VN to go there... but ultimately, I'm glad it did.

I'm currently in the final door, and to be perfectly honest it feels like a sort of epilogue. The pacing has slowed down -not too unwelcome after that hell of a door-, and to be perfectly honest Morgana's door being a half-hour affair before this makes the whole deal fall somewhat flat in comparison. Yesterday, I stopped at the part where Mell was just about to explain why he got involved in Morgana's imprisonment.

I love this VN so far, it is a journey wholly unique to its own, and has a fan-fucking-tastic art style and unforgettable OSTs to boot. GOTY.

Not quite at the ending yet, my dear.

Not quite at the ending yet, my dear.

Haha, guessed so. That was more a statement about
Giselle and Michel finally being united in a way, which after all the rollercoaster since Door 4 and onwards felt like the main story came to a close, and especially with the slowed and relatively lighthearted pacing, we were in the phase of tying up loose ends.

Top Bottom