• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Shizuka

Are you guys picking up Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness at launch? Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one here who remembers the game is coming out in less than two weeks.

jonjonaug

Are you guys picking up Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness at launch? Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one here who remembers the game is coming out in less than two weeks.

I am! Hopefully it's good. Even if the main scenario is bad at least we have the bonus episodes written by Makoto Fukami and Hikaru Sakurai.

Shizuka

I am! Hopefully it's good. Even if the main scenario is bad at least we have the bonus episodes written by Makoto Fukami and Hikaru Sakurai.

Are you getting it on Steam? I'm picking up the Vita limited edition, myself (on top of reviewing it, whenever they send us the game).

Sadly, September release is a bad time for me, considering how many other games are releasing in Sept/Oct that I want.

I'll probably pick it up down the line.

Sekai Project?

Possibly, but not a given considering Visual Arts has announced a ton of projects post Clannad Kickstarter (Harmony, Tomoyo After, Little Busters, Rewrite+, Angel Beats) and none of them have been linked to Sekai Project. And Visual Arts owning the English script seems probable if its being used in a release published by Prototype.

Arthea

I've started fault milestone and I\m very disappointed so far (2 hours or so in), I expected it to be a good sci-fi VN, but it just seems not that good to begin with. I don't usually complain about translations but this one is odd too. Not sure now should I stick with it or not. Does it get better? And more importantly does one has any ending, or will I need two no matter what.
And talking about steam VNs, which is a good sci-fi VN, with good and more importantly interesting story?

rock3tz

Neo Member
What made you think fault was sci-fi?
It's tagged on Steam as fantasy and I can confirm it's mostly fantasy/magic.

At 2 hours in, the story for episode one hasn't 'really' started, the beginning is mostly backstory/setting.
Each episode's conflict revolves around one character each and both wrapped up in a satisfying ending I thought.

Btw, by the end of the second episode the main plot is still ongoing, can't wait for the next episode.

Arthea

What made you think fault was sci-fi?
It's tagged on Steam as fantasy and I can confirm it's mostly fantasy/magic.

At 2 hours in, the story for episode one hasn't 'really' started, the beginning is mostly backstory/setting.
Each episode's conflict revolves around one character each and both wrapped up in a satisfying ending I thought.

Btw, by the end of the second episode the main plot is still ongoing, can't wait for the next episode.

I don't remember already what made me think it's sci-fi, it was long ago.

well, if it has an ending I'll finish it, thanks.

Saphirax

Um, slay.
I'm never gonna play my Kickstarter PC copy but a Vita port would be perfect.

Apparently that info is incorrect:

The article's incorrect. The Japanese says it's a "reference exhibit" and says nothing about any sort of English version being playable at all. If anything it's saying a demo of Clannad for Vita will be playable with an exhibit about the English translation

From Gematsu.

MUnited83

For you.
Who else is hyped for Lady Killer in a Bind?

Still waiting to know the exact release date. Waiting and waiting.
jzc9UkS.gif

Shizuka

Glad to see I'm not the only one picking up Psycho-Pass this month. I've been pretty excited for it, since I love visual novels and I loved the anime's first season.

Shizuka

I don't think you need even that from what I've heard.

It's said to take place among the first few episodes, but I still think it'd be best to watch the first season, if only to get the feel of the anime characters that are present in the game. We'll know soon enough, the game is getting released next week.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I picked up the anime and movies, so I can watch it whenever I play the VN. I'll prob watch through all of it before I play the game, even if it does take place early on. I like getting familiar with the characters if the original production.

jonjonaug

The main plot takes place during the early parts of season one, but I don't know if it spoils anything from later on. There's also bonus chapters that focus on different characters, and I'm not sure when those happen.

BTA

Who else is hyped for Lady Killer in a Bind?

Still waiting to know the exact release date. Waiting and waiting.

...didn't it already get announced? Twice, even. It was supposed to be this month and was then delayed; looks like it's October 10th now.

Debating whether I'll grab that at launch; I like Love's previous works a lot, but this one might be a lil bit much for a
boring
person like me so I'm not that hyped. I'm really happy it exists, though.

Averon

Just finished my very first VN, Steins Gate, on Vita. Went into it blind. Got the
Suzuha
ending. Looking around, it seems I missed a whole bunch of chances to go down different routes.

BTA

Just finished my very first VN, Steins Gate, on Vita. Went into it blind. Got the
Suzuha
ending. Looking around, it seems I missed a whole bunch of chances to go down different routes.

If that's all you've gotten, you aren't anywhere near "finished" yet! That's only the first ending you can get...

Averon

If that's all you've gotten, you aren't anywhere near "finished" yet! That's only the first ending you can get...

I know. The thought that that I had to save at critical points to take different routes to get different endings didn't occur to me at all since I went into SG completely blind and having never played a VN before.

Knurek

I know. The thought that that I had to save at critical points to take different routes to get different endings didn't occur to me at all since I went into SG completely blind and having never played a VN before.

Isn't S;G just a main branch that splits only to character endings?
Unless you're gunning for the True End, you should be good just to restore before your final choice and go from there.

BTA

Isn't S;G just a main branch that splits only to character endings?
Unless you're gunning for the True End, you should be good just to restore before your final choice and go from there.

Yup, here's the thing: luckily for you, Steins;Gate is actually incredibly forgiving when it comes to endings compared to some other VNs, particularly as there's no repeated text after you make the choice to branch to the character endings. Check your autosaves- you should already have one for the start of that chapter; just skip from there to the end of the chapter and make the other choice to continue onwards with the game. From now on, just make a save right before those big chapter-ending choices and you're pretty much solid! Just see the character ending each time before continuing on with the story.

When it comes to the last two endings, that'll require a bit more reloading, but otherwise that's all there is to it. This post I made the other day explains it a little more.

XMSHO

^ Last update don't reflect when the last comment was made, the last one was from two days ago.
From my understanding the first complete patch will include both of the voices and graphics from PS3 ver.

Finally received my Rose Guns Days -The Best- and Trianthology -Sanmenkyou no Kuni no Alice- order from Amiami.

Now to find the time to read them :p

BTA

Finally received my Rose Guns Days -The Best- and Trianthology -Sanmenkyou no Kuni no Alice- order from Amiami.

Now to find the time to read them :p

Oh, I didn't know The Best was a thing. Now I feel stupid for having gotten Last Season and not having played it yet (after getting the first release and... I believe I played all the way through it? ...maybe I just played the demo, uh). Guess that's a thing to do soon.

Oh, I didn't know The Best was a thing. Now I feel stupid for having gotten Last Season and not having played it yet (after getting the first release and... I believe I played all the way through it? ...maybe I just played the demo, uh). Guess that's a thing to do soon.

Don't feel bad, I also haven't finished RGD yet (mainly due to logistics, I can't play it 100% currently as I really want to do my best (heh) in battle)
If you want to know, The Best edition contain the full game plus a "Special" story that unlocks after Season 4. I don't know at all the contents of that Special story though.

How is that VN anyway? I never heard much about it, guessing it aint as batshit as Umineko.

Do you mean RGD or Trianthology?

If Trianthology : don't know at all, just read the intro and don't know much of what will happen next...I hope it's good though.

If RGD : The game is totally not as batshit as Umineko, yeah, but daaaaamn is it GOOD! The setting is absolutely not the same and it's not a "murder mystery", it's more of a gangster flick and the way of life at the end of the 1940's. The music and the scenario are seriously very good (up until I played it anyway - which is halfway-, can't see why it wouldn't be the case afterwards)

Top Bottom