• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
lol I'm not the only one that thought of getting a Windows tablet for VNs. Once they get a little more powerful I am definitely diving in.

Yuuichi

lol I'm not the only one that thought of getting a Windows tablet for VNs. Once they get a little more powerful I am definitely diving in.

Seriously, what are you waiting for? VN's are about as low spec as they come unless you're playing BRAND NEW Light titles (ie 相州戦神館學園 八命陣 or ひまわり!) then everything that comes out is going to run fine, especially if you can't read Japanese.

Finished the final draft for the No, Thank You!!! OT and got the mod sign off so it should launch right before the game does.

I hope y'all will give it a look over, even if it's not necessarily your type of VN.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just got my HP Stream 7 today. Seems to run the few VNs I've put on it so far fine, except for Steins;Gate which doesn't play well with touchscreens. There's an app recommended in the OP of this thread that might help with that, though. Need to try it out. The thing isn't exactly a powerhouse, especially with only 1 gig of ram, but it seems to be doing everything I want it to do.

Ah, I have a Linx 7 and that would be ideal with headphones. not thought about it for VNs, good call. Whats the issue with steins gate? Does it need mouse or a controller? I have a Dualshock 4 paired with mine that can act as both so hopefully it will be playable.

And for any games that need more power, you can stream them from your main PC..

Ah, I have a Linx 7 and that would be ideal with headphones. not thought about it for VNs, good call. Whats the issue with steins gate? Does it need mouse or a controller? I have a Dualshock 4 paired with mine that can act as both so hopefully it will be playable.

And for any games that need more power, you can stream them from your main PC..

For some reason, it refuses to acknowledge clicks from the touchscreen or the TouchMousePointer app linked in the other thread. No loading games, no new games, I can't even quit the game without Task Manager due to not being able to click "Yes" when asked if I really want to exit. I'm wondering if a real mouse will help, but I don't have an adapter to use one with the microUSB port. Supposedly it can register the DS4 touchpad as a mouse, so I might try that and see if it works.

For some reason, it refuses to acknowledge clicks from the touchscreen or the TouchMousePointer app linked in the other thread. No loading games, no new games, I can't even quit the game without Task Manager due to not being able to click "Yes" when asked if I really want to exit. I'm wondering if a real mouse will help, but I don't have an adapter to use one with the microUSB port. Supposedly it can register the DS4 touchpad as a mouse, so I might try that and see if it works.

If there's a program to map controller buttons to the keyboard, that might work. The game is completely controllable with the keyboard on a normal PC, at least. In menus, the arrow keys move the cursor between menu items, so your mileage may vary.

By the way, some of the keyboard controls are fairly non-obvious, so I'll list those here:
M - Menu
P - Phone
Backspace - Back button in phone

There doesn't seem to be a universal keyboard equivalent for right-clicking, so usually you have to find your way to a Back button in each menu.

Just finished Fault millestone one

I LOVED IT

Chapter 7 is a serious 10/10 ...with the build-up of the previous chapters , that was magnificent ... The music , the writiing , everything was just "right"

And then
the letter scene arrived
and i was ready to sing praise of this game across the galaxy ...

And then chapter 8 happenned.

That was disgustingly evil of the writter , i need fault millestone two ASAP, that's like ..what an ENDING this game has..

Despite this slight variation , i'll still sing praise of this game, because it's awesome .. the dialog in particular is so much well done .. i don't know if it's the amazing localisation or the strenght of the original script , perhaps it's both but goddamn i'm legit impressed.

Millestone two is bought , pre-ordered whatever comes first.

I might need the OST , no i NEED THE OST
who the hell made fault music ... the music is excellent the "Panic theory" track is superb.

I might need the OST , no i NEED THE OST
who the hell made fault music ... the music is excellent the "Panic theory" track is superb.

Actually, the game mostly uses stock music. So it turns out a soundtrack release wouldn't even make sense or be possible.

Future chapters will use original music.

Actually, the game mostly uses stock music. So it turns out a soundtrack release wouldn't even make sense or be possible.

Future chapters will use original music.

Damn , that's well done stock music..
It was short but it really gave the game an "atmosphere"

Especially in chapter 1, 3, 7

So i guess i must rip the audio ?

Dolgan

Just finished Fault millestone one

I LOVED IT

Agreed. I started it without expecting anything (because I honestly didn't know anything about the game despite backing it...) and I was pleasantly surprised. I liked the world-building and thought the characters were interesting. That ending, though...

(Also, I agree, that the music was great.)

Lain

I see Hanachirasu should release on March 10 and my preorder never reappeared on the JastUSA website (to be expected, since it was for a physical copy and they don't deal with those anymore, though I was hoping it would be moved to the J-List site). Kind of a shame since when I preordered back then they had a free shipping offer.
I guess I'll have to order it again.

From the visual novels on Humble Bundle, which one would be the best to play for valentine's day?

As in a happy love story? Oddly enough most of them don't fit. Long Live the Queen has no romance. World End Econ and Christine Love's games are depressing. I haven't played Roommates. So I guess GoGoNippon and Hatoful Boyfriend?

cj_iwakura

As in a happy love story? Oddly enough most of them don't fit. Long Live the Queen has no romance. World End Econ and Christine Love's games are depressing. I haven't played Roommates. So I guess GoGoNippon and Hatoful Boyfriend?

Analogue does have love stories, they just don't all end well. Some do, though.

Shizuka

Just the opposite. I'm looking for a visual novel where there is romance, but it goes wrong. I thought it could be fun.

i've finished analogue and it's certainly an experience... i do havte hate plus on my backlog but after analogue i'm kinda scared to see all those reveals.

I so wanted to punch someone after understanding the whole "pale bride" story

Knurek

Oh boy, I take it you didn't read the True Route...

fahad

Neo Member
Danganronpa 2 is the best VN and one of my favorite games of all time ❤️❤️❤️

Knurek

Nope, I've only read a few hours ago of it. So it goes into dark places?

Spoiler (and I do mean massive spoiler, do not read if you plan to play Hatoful Boyfriend.
The PC gets brutally murdered during the beginning of the True Route and it only goes downhill from there

jobrro

Not sure if correct thread, but I have a couple Steam keys to give away if anyone wants them.

Hate Plus With Soundtrack

PM if interested.

Spoiler (and I do mean massive spoiler, do not read if you plan to play Hatoful Boyfriend.
The PC gets brutally murdered during the beginning of the True Route and it only goes downhill from there

I read despite your warning and now I lost interest in the game :-(.

Rarity

Bah my interest in the game just dropped dramatically.

I would like a really really heartwarming and happy visual novel without depressing stuff. I like moe and cuteness, too.

I don't mind if it's an eroge or has eroge type content. Just as long as it doesn't have.. um... male domination of any kind. I don't want to ever see women being dominated. Or tears, or saying no, or any things like that. It disturbs me and I don't even like thinking about it, because it's painful..

But.. since this is a visual novel thread... and so many visual novels are... um.. I thought I should probably say something. I tend to stay far away from eroge because of things like this.

I would like a really really heartwarming and happy visual novel without depressing stuff. I like moe and cuteness, too.

I don't mind if it's an eroge or has eroge type content. Just as long as it doesn't have.. um... male domination of any kind. I don't want to ever see women being dominated. Or tears, or saying no, or any things like that. It disturbs me and I don't even like thinking about it, because it's painful..

But.. since this is a visual novel thread... and so many visual novels are... um.. I thought I should probably say something. I tend to stay far away from eroge because of things like this.

Littlewitch Romanesque might be the closest thing that comes to mind, I wouldn't say that it's completely devoid of things like "saying no" or "tears" but the focus is really on the day to day lives and adventures of the two main girls learning magic from their teacher. It's really one of the more light hearted and fun VNs I've had the pleasure of reading. Don't know if it's a deal breaker but the thing revolves around this dice game thing in order to learn spells and progress through the "gamey" parts of the story but it's not too difficult to wrap your head around after the first few tries. Prioritize getting the Tempero Ignis spell for both characters at first because it makes the early game much easier before you learn the truly broken spells later on.

All the eroge Ive seen up until this point is always consensual and usually initiated by the female rather than the male, no male dom that I've come across.

hatoful_boyfriend_pillow.0.0.jpg

I...think I want this?

Well even if I don't get that, I did pick up the humble bundle and payed 10 for it. Always wanted to play Analogue a Hate Story, Long Live the Queen, and Hatoful Boyfriend.

Going to try Long Live the Queen tonight. Wish me luck in this Sansa Stark simulator!

EDIT: But wait, it looks like the devs are releasing a plot update with more options and portraits...so maybe it would be better to wait until that gets completed and patched in. Shoot, decisions.

O-Oh dear. I don't think that's for me, then.

I don't want to see anything like that at all.

When you said "no," and "tears," did you mean in in the context of sexual encounters or in general? (as in, you don't want the characters to look sad at all).

If it's the former, then I think it's safe to say that any VN available on Steam wouldn't have anything like those. If it's the latter then it's be tricky, because drama usually exists in a VN, however little.

For the happy part, maybe look into Tokyo School Life or Go! Go! Nippon? Those look sufficiently light and whimsical with any drama at most relegated to "we've had fun together but alas now we must part ways but we shall meet again!" kind of deals.

I couldn't attest to their quality, though, as I haven't played them. Perhaps other informed members could give some impressions.

Yuuichi

Honestly, I'm having a hard time coming up with a good title unless you can read Japanese. Even then, I would need to double check a few things because I don't normally read H (I know who wrote it and I'm pretty sure it's a good title though).

The biggest reason that I'm actually having a hard time coming up with things is the "without depressing stuff" part. A lot of games use drama as an important route element, oft very heavy-handedly; your statement is ambiguous enough that I can't decide where to draw the line.

As regards to domination, I feel you. Honestly in the average month 80+% of the games that come out are trash that no one in their right mind should bother with. There are a lot of great titles though, and the medium is still unlike anything else.

O-Oh dear. I don't think that's for me, then.

I don't want to see anything like that at all.

You're essentially asking for something that's like devoid of anything in the way of conflict. I can't help but think that that's a pretty necessary hurdle for the progression of either any of the individual characters or the overlying story. Certainly more than a few comedy anime come to mind when I think of something devoid of "tears" but nothing that I've seen in the way of translated VNs fits that description. And if you add "saying no" you pretty much rule out everything in every medium ever.

upandaway

You're essentially asking for something that's like devoid of anything in the way of conflict. I can't help but think that that's a pretty necessary hurdle for the progression of either any of the individual characters or the overlying story. Certainly more than a few comedy anime come to mind when I think of something devoid of "tears" but nothing that I've seen in the way of translated VNs fits that description. And if you add "saying no" you pretty much rule out everything in every medium ever.
It's kinda funny but I guess I could suggest reading some romance VNs and bailing before it gets bad. Like, read the common route of Grisaia no Kajitsu and just stop before the route decisions.

Other than that, I give up. The Lily route of Katawa Shoujo is the closest thing I have.
There are plenty of anime and manga that are pure fluff without any conflict, so I get where you're coming from with your request, but because VNs are released as a finished story from start to end they're guaranteed to have something for plot progression.

Wait, actually... if anyone here plays them, maybe one of those hentai VNs that are nonstop sex and dating? I wouldn't be surprised if some of them have no conflict or drama whatsoever. No?

Top Bottom