• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Josephl64

It's kinda funny but I guess I could suggest reading some romance VNs and bailing before it gets bad. Like, read the common route of Grisaia no Kajitsu and just stop before the route decisions.

Other than that, I give up. The Lily route of Katawa Shoujo is the closest thing I have.
There are plenty of anime and manga that are pure fluff without any conflict, so I get where you're coming from with your request, but because VNs are released as a finished story from start to end they're guaranteed to have something for plot progression.

Wait, actually... if anyone here plays them, maybe one of those hentai VNs that are nonstop sex and dating? I wouldn't be surprised if some of them have no conflict or drama whatsoever. No?

What nukige? I suppose you might be able to find some, but even though their plot is minimal...it's not like they don't have one so there's still some wading through darker stuff to get something "vanilla" if that's what you desire.

*of course I'm at the top of the page *sigh*

In... in sex. That's the most disturbing kind.

And for Steam, I don't really want to support an all-ages version of a game, if the ero version has that...

Just for clarification, most of what you refer to not wanting is sexual domination, drama, coercion, etc. right? IE any potential sexual scenes are more happy/loving/not-rape or assult. I'm almost certain it shouldn't be hard to find games that do that if they have sex, but I'm not an expert of VNs.

I know you said you prefer a more moe/cute style, but how do you feel about drama/tragedy/sad thing happening in the plot? Like others said, drama is often a source of moving things forward with conflict and getting a chance to see characters develop and grow. While finding a VN without sexual violence shouldn't be too hard, finding one without sad moments or drama probably is. I suppose there's something to be said about the outcomes and how things get handled (does everything end well for the main characters? Is it bittersweet with it's over? Do they give you a final punch to the gut?)

I'm sure answering these would help give the more experienced members here some direction on what to recommend for you.

It's kinda funny but I guess I could suggest reading some romance VNs and bailing before it gets bad. Like, read the common route of Grisaia no Kajitsu and just stop before the route decisions.

Other than that, I give up. The Lily route of Katawa Shoujo is the closest thing I have.
There are plenty of anime and manga that are pure fluff without any conflict, so I get where you're coming from with your request, but because VNs are released as a finished story from start to end they're guaranteed to have something for plot progression.

Wait, actually... if anyone here plays them, maybe one of those hentai VNs that are nonstop sex and dating? I wouldn't be surprised if some of them have no conflict or drama whatsoever. No?

HolyBaikal freaked out over Nekopara (and got that thread locked), I don't think anything sex oriented is the answer here. If there even is one, HolyBaikal's shtick makes it hard to tell if one is being trolled.

aravuus

HolyBaikal freaked out over Nekopara (and got that thread locked), I don't think anything sex oriented is the answer here. If there even is one, HolyBaikal's shtick makes it hard to tell if one is being trolled.

Lmao just read that thread

Pretty entertaining stuff

Anywa i've started playing grisaia ( fan translation ) since i'm very happy about the kickstarter and i'm hoping to hear about the backerkits this week ...

And i'm actually quite suprised how good the common route is ...

Having seen the anime , i know more or less where things are going ... but i'm actually quite surprised by how they managed to have that many interractions within the cast ( and foreshadowing so many things ) without breaking the monotony for so long and stay quite funny.
grisaia_03.png

I guess i know why ^^^ got her spin-off , even in the common route , she does have quite a few differences with the common tsundere and the back and forth between the MC and the cast is actually quite strong considering the ABSURD premise of this school.

but it works...

LOVING It so far ...

Where is this backerkit ? I'm ready !!

upandaway

Anywa i've started playing grisaia ( fan translation ) since i'm very happy about the kickstarter and i'm hoping to hear about the backerkits this week ...

And i'm actually quite suprised how good the common route is ...

Having seen the anime , i know more or less where things are going ... but i'm actually quite surprised by how they managed to have that many interractions within the cast ( and foreshadowing so many things ) without breaking the monotony for so long and stay quite funny.

I guess i know why ^^^ got her spin-off , even in the common route , she does have quite a few differences with the common tsundere and the back and forth between the MC and the cast is actually quite strong considering the ABSURD premise of this school.

but it works...

LOVING It so far ...

Where is this backerkit ? I'm ready !!
Yeah it's fun. I gave up on the anime when I saw they skipped the "chilly" military story

Yuuichi

So is the OP ever going to get updated with more games? It seems rather lopsided towards obscure non-Nintendo system releases.

It's explicitly targeted at first time players, which is why the game selection is what it is. I'm also not sure how it's targeted at obscure releases, visual novels are obscure enough as is.

And if you're wondering what I have against Nintendo, there are next to no localized games on the system other than phoenix wright, which gets talked about enough elsewhere.

And as for Holy Baikal, I'm kind of with Barrylocke on this.
It sounds to me like you're looking for the textual equivalent of something like Acchi Kocchi , which, quite simply doesn't exist. With your current set of criteria I can't even say to go play a Key game, because of the drama inherent to the medium. People don't sell stories because nothing happens, and that's not how characters develop either. Conflict drives change, and your lack of clarity on "depressing stuff" continues to make it impossible to actually recommend a title.

Just for clarification, most of what you refer to not wanting is sexual domination, drama, coercion, etc. right? IE any potential sexual scenes are more happy/loving/not-rape or assult.
Yes, that's what I'm talking about. I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. I was talking about in the ero scenes, since it seems like a lot of visual novels have ero content.

That sort of thing is incredibly disturbing to me. And I can't help but feel a lot of empathetic pain and very disturbed and hurt when I see and think about that sort of thing. Even though I know they're just fictional characters, I like fictional characters, and I like fiction because I empathize with them, even though they're not real. So it hurts me so much to see others in pain, or be reminded of the idea of others in pain.

It horrifies me to see or be reminded of suffering, even just fictional suffering.

I'm a kink critical radical feminist, also. I don't like the idea of supporting the idea of female sexuality as subservient or having to do with purity. I've had disturbing discussions with Evolutionary Psychologists that believe that women are "naturally submissive and subservient".
That I would rather forget...

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
The titles in the OP are pretty deliberate we discussed which ones should be in there for quite a while. While it might be popular to recommend handheld titles in other threads they're still the minority in terms of translation compared to PC titles and we don't need to champion them when that happens enough outside the thread, but if someone comes asking for console titles we would be happy to recommend stuff. The OP was primarily created as a jumping off point so questions are encouraged to keep the thread active with discussion as well as give a more personalized recommendation platform.

it wasn't that entertaining as i really like nekopara and wished we could have decent enjoyment of catgirls being catgirls ..

but ...well history is what it is ...
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to take something from you.

If you make another thread for it. I promise I won't bother it.

Yeah it's fun. I gave up on the anime when I saw they skipped the "chilly" military story
I understand why the anime was done that way , trully ..limited amount of time and a desire to tie in all 3 projects at once.

I think it was the perfect advertisement to get people intrested in the game...
I guess nobody will disagree that the game is the better experience.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to take something from you.

If you make another thread for it. I promise I won't bother it.

Will think about it when the game will be on sale or something ( any incentive to gather more players ) i kinda need a scapegoat in order to spark any discussion..

i'll take my time and wait , like a cat waiting for the mouse to pass.... /s

It's explicitly targeted at first time players, which is why the game selection is what it is. I'm also not sure how it's targeted at obscure releases, visual novels are obscure enough as is.

And if you're wondering what I have against Nintendo, there are next to no localized games on the system other than phoenix wright, which gets talked about enough elsewhere.

And as for Holy Baikal, I'm kind of with Barrylocke on this.
It sounds to me like you're looking for the textual equivalent of something like Acchi Kocchi , which, quite simply doesn't exist. With your current set of criteria I can't even say to go play a Key game, because of the drama inherent to the medium. People don't sell stories because nothing happens, and that's not how characters develop either. Conflict drives change, and your lack of clarity on "depressing stuff" continues to make it impossible to actually recommend a title.

If so than the selection really confuses me. Why not select some of the more popular titles which would have greater appeal to curious buyers? Obscure games I haven't heard of are not the best ways to start a journey into a new genre for any gamer. If someone wants to experience a platformer, you give them Mario. If I want someone to experience a visual novel for the first time I would give them Ace Attorney. Now only because its good and well known, but also because it's easily available.

I am not saying obscure titles shouldn't be there, but the lack of popular titles really mystifies me. This is advertised as a Visual Novel community thread, right? Not an elitist only less-popular visual novels community thread? The idea there are no or few localized visual novels in the DS universe is suspect, I can name more than are listed in the OP.

The titles in the OP are pretty deliberate we discussed which ones should be in there for quite a while. While it might be popular to recommend handheld titles in other threads they're still the minority in terms of translation compared to PC titles and we don't need to champion them when that happens enough outside the thread, but if someone comes asking for console titles we would be happy to recommend stuff. The OP was primarily created as a jumping off point so questions are encouraged to keep the thread active with discussion as well as give a more personalized recommendation platform.

Why not make it a Visual Novel PC Community Thread then? It seems if you want it to be an inclusive community concerned with Visual Novels as a whole, it would include all the good stuff (and hell the bad stuff too), popular or not.

Why not make it a Visual Novel PC Community Thread then? It seems if you want it to be an inclusive community concerned with Visual Novels as a whole, it would include all the good stuff (and hell the bad stuff too), popular or not.

I dont see a reason to needlessly split our already pretty small community.

Why would it split the community? It seems you guys are intentionally trying to keep certain fans of visual novel games out by not highlighting certain very good visual novel games.

Nothing of the sort is happening. Most VNs in English just happen to be on the PC, or on Sony platforms.

This is a bizarre mentality. This thread already serves that purpose.

Nothing of the sort is happening. Most VNs in English just happen to be on the PC, or on Sony platforms.

Sure, by volume, but why not recommend Ace Attorney in the OP? Seems totally bizarre. Especially since there are probably more visual novel games available for the DS systems than Vita.

Marche90

You need to remember that the medium isn't that big to begin with. It's gaining notoriety, but it's not at a point where we can say it's mainstream, hence, a good chunk of novels in the OP are for PC only (the OP will be updated whenever the PS3/Vita version of Steins;Gate comes out. Other than that, I doubt we'll update it that much). Also, one of the rules we had when creating the thread was to not clutter the op with all the vn's available (the vn thread before this one had a bit of a messy op due to this reason), since it wasn't really useful. Not entirely our choice, too, since Dresden, a mod, asked for that, but we decided it was for the best in the end, due to the aforemented old OP

As for a PC-only VN community thread, that's a terrible idea. As I've just said, the community isn't that big to begin with

Before you accuse us for not having enough Nintendo stuff in the OP too, you need to know there are barely vns for those consoles (Also I'm a big Nintendo fanboy, so I know what's available for them). The only ones I can think off the top of my head aside from Ace Attorney are 999, VLR, Hotel Dusk, Time Travelers, 428, True Remembrance, Really Really! (Yeah, I still dunno how this one made its way to the DS), Higurashi and a series of short novels with Harvest in the title, iirc (can't remember the exact name). Mind you, only the first three are translated for the console, and the OP was made with English-speakers newcomers in mind, thus we barely have a selection for those in the title.

Trust me, we would love to have a bigger console selection of VN, but we just aren't there. And finally, why Ace Attorney isn't in the OP, that was my idea, with the reasoning that seeing how it is the biggest-known VN series in the west, we would only use it as an example of what a VN is (and in the process, we liberated an slot to use for more recommendations). We did said that AA was good, didn't we? ;)

Yikes... Typing all of this in my phone is murder...

Sure, by volume, but why not recommend Ace Attorney in the OP? Seems totally bizarre. Especially since there are probably more visual novel games available for the DS systems than Vita.

There are already dedicated Ace Attorney threads. Why are you coming into a thread dedicated to niche games and complaining that the games featured are too niche?

If so than the selection really confuses me. Why not select some of the more popular titles which would have greater appeal to curious buyers? Obscure games I haven't heard of are not the best ways to start a journey into a new genre for any gamer. If someone wants to experience a platformer, you give them Mario. If I want someone to experience a visual novel for the first time I would give them Ace Attorney. Now only because its good and well known, but also because it's easily available.

I am not saying obscure titles shouldn't be there, but the lack of popular titles really mystifies me. This is advertised as a Visual Novel community thread, right? Not an elitist only less-popular visual novels community thread? The idea there are no or few localized visual novels in the DS universe is suspect, I can name more than are listed in the OP.

Stuff like this complaining that the thread isn't about the titles you know about is missing the entire point of why it exists.

Solune

That's the entire point of the thread, to highlight titles in the genre that people haven't heard of so that they may enjoy them. There's no need to make Ace Attorney a flag in the OP when there's already a sub community just for the game series alone.

It's as if someone made a First-person shooter community thread and highlighted Half-life and all the PC FPS, the FPS games for Playstation and Xbox systems, but then didn't mention or highlight Goldeneye or Perfect Dark, merely because there are few FPS games on Nintendo systems.

Volume shouldn't matter. In the OP there should be something that says, if you have this system, where are the great visual novel games you could be playing on it. The idea we shouldn't highlight things that are already popular....ugh. We should be recommending and celebrating ALL visual novel games, even when they appear on systems with few of them.

That's the entire point of the thread, to highlight titles in the genre that people haven't heard of so that they may enjoy them. There's no need to make Ace Attorney a flag in the OP when there's already a sub community just for the game series alone.

If that's the case, rename the thread, because the point of the thread seems to be for lesser known visual novel games. I came in here, being a huge fan of visual novels, and was aghast that Ace Attorney was not in the OP. It's a travesty. It should be a list of greatest hits, not less popular titles that need love. If that is truly the case, the thread title is horribly misleading.

It's as if someone made a First-person shooter community thread and highlighted Half-life and all the PC FPS, the FPS games for Playstation and Xbox systems, but then didn't mention or highlight Goldeneye or Perfect Dark, merely because there are few FPS games on Nintendo systems.

Volume shouldn't matter. In the OP there should be something that says, if you have this system, where are the great visual novel games you could be playing on it. The idea we shouldn't highlight things that are already popular....ugh. We should be recommending and celebrating ALL visual novel games, even when they appear on systems with few of them.

The DS titles worthy of being in the OP already have their own sub communities and plethora of threads. It's not just a question of volume. And I'm not sure where the obsession with Nintendo consoles is even coming from. Do you just have an axe to grind because Ace Attorney isn't in the OP?

TI82

Banned
So I've watched fate zero, and what's out of fate stay night [unlimited blade works] and loved it. Where do I start for reading them so I Dont have to wait until April?

Solune

If that's the case, rename the thread, because the point of the thread seems to be for lesser known visual novel games. I came in here, being a huge fan of visual novels, and was aghast that Ace Attorney was not in the OP. It's a travesty. It should be a list of greatest hits, not less popular titles that need love. If that is truly the case, the thread title is horribly misleading.

So basically you're butt hurt because your favorite series isn't in the OP.

Boo fucking who

The DS titles worthy of being in the OP already have their own sub communities and plethora of threads. It's not just a question of volume. And I'm not sure where the obsession with Nintendo consoles is even coming from. Do you just have an axe to grind because Ace Attorney isn't in the OP?

Then this really isn't a visual novel community thread than is it? Not a general one anyway. This is a less-popular, obscure visual novel game thread and I made a mistake by coming here... if all you want to do is carve out games which are too popular to talk about, recommend, or promote and only talk about the less popular stuff.

I want to talk about all of it and not kick Uncle Bob out of the guild and not talk about him because he was too cool and made waves.

Marche90

Mind reading my post for an explanation of all your complains? I'll try to answer most of them, but give me time to answer, as I'm typing from my phone.

Also, cool your jets a bit, please. You're being kind of rude in your posts :/

So basically you're butt hurt because your favorite series isn't in the OP.

Boo fucking who

I am butthurt because I came into a visual novel community thread that doesn't want to talk about certain visual novel games because they are too popular. Fucking bizarro world.

Then this really isn't a visual novel community thread than is it? Not a general one anyway. This is a less-popular, obscure visual novel game thread and I made a mistake by coming here... if all you want to do is carve out games which are too popular to talk about, recommend, or promote and only talk about the less popular stuff.

I want to talk about all of it and not kick Uncle Bob out of the guild and not talk about him because he was too cool and made waves.

You're free to discuss any of these games. You're way to hung up on the OP.

I am butthurt because I came into a visual novel community thread that doesn't want to talk about certain visual novel games because they are too popular. Fucking bizarro world.
Except this didn't happen. No one would have batted an eye if you came in and actually discussed a game.

You need to remember that the medium isn't that big to begin with. It's gaining notoriety, but it's not at a point where we can say it's mainstream, hence, a good chunk of novels in the OP are for PC only (the OP will be updated whenever the PS3/Vita version of Steins;Gate comes out. Other than that, I doubt we'll update it that much). Also, one of the rules we had when creating the thread was to not clutter the op with all the vn's available (the vn thread before this one had a bit of a messy op due to this reason), since it wasn't really useful. Not entirely our choice, too, since Dresden, a mod, asked for that, but we decided it was for the best in the end, due to the aforemented old OP

As for a PC-only VN community thread, that's a terrible idea. As I've just said, the community isn't that big to begin with

Before you accuse us for not having enough Nintendo stuff in the OP too, you need to know there are barely vns for those consoles (Also I'm a big Nintendo fanboy, so I know what's available for them). The only ones I can think off the top of my head aside from Ace Attorney are 999, VLR, Hotel Dusk, Time Travelers, 428, True Remembrance, Really Really! (Yeah, I still dunno how this one made its way to the DS), Higurashi and a series of short novels with Harvest in the title, iirc (can't remember the exact name). Mind you, only the first three are translated for the console, and the OP was made with English-speakers newcomers in mind, thus we barely have a selection for those in the title.

Trust me, we would love to have a bigger console selection of VN, but we just aren't there. And finally, why Ace Attorney isn't in the OP, that was my idea, with the reasoning that seeing how it is the biggest-known VN series in the west, we would only use it as an example of what a VN is (and in the process, we liberated an slot to use for more recommendations). We did said that AA was good, didn't we? ;)

Yikes... Typing all of this in my phone is murder...

I disagree with omitting Ace Attorney if no other reason that it promotes elitism in the community. I don't propose to add every game to the OP, but Ace Attorney seems like a horribly glaring omission, especially when you have Vita games in the OP, which Vita doesn't have many of those games either. It looks preferential and biased. You say the community is small and fragile, so why not be inclusive with the popular sub communities? Why unnecessarily carve out games that are too popular?

Nemaides

How does those games not being on the OP mean that we don't want to talk about them? I don't understand what you are trying to say anymore.

Shiina

So I've watched fate zero, and what's out of fate stay night [unlimited blade works] and loved it. Where do I start for reading them so I Dont have to wait until April?

Fate/Stay Night Réalta Nua is the most complete version (as long as you patch in the H-scenes). The UBW anime hasn't spoiled anything yet but watching F/Z did, though I guess there's nothing you can do about it. So yeah, read F/SN. And you have to read the routes in order so you're first going to have to read through another route than what is currently being shown in the anime. That route comes second and then comes the 'true' route (which is getting a movie at some point in the future).

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I disagree with omitting Ace Attorney if no other reason that it promotes elitism in the community. I don't propose to add every game to the OP, but Ace Attorney seems like a horribly glaring omission, especially when you have Vita games in the OP, which Vita doesn't have many of those games either. It looks preferential and biased. You say the community is small and fragile, so why not be inclusive with the popular sub communities? Why unnecessarily carve out games that are too popular?

It doesn't matter if it's in the OP or not. You can still discuss it here.

Marche90

The point of this thread is to expand your horizons. Ace Attorney is a good introduction to the medium, but you need to remember that AA has a community that is way, way, way bigger than the VN community. Also, think about it this way: someone asks you to recommend you a VN in a, say, Zero Escape thread; the odds of people recommending AA instead of a lesser-known VN are astronomically higher. The point is: they don't need as much help to grow the fanbase unlike the rest of the VNs here. We are happy to discuss ALL kinds of VNs here, those I just mentioned included, but odds are most people will just go their respective OTs instead of here to talk about them and hence, their lack of inclussion. At least that's how I rationalize it.

It doesn't matter if it's in the OP or not. You can still discuss it here.

It matters though. It matters a great deal to me.

You have a Visual Novel community thread with an OP which is recommending good games in the genre to people who are new to it and it omits the single greatest gateway series in the entire genre. It says explicitly in the OP that this is for beginners or newbies to the genre, not existing fans that want to expand their horizons. I cannot be part of a community that would knowingly do that, especially for the reasons given to explain it. I wholeheartedly disagree with that formulation. It is being exclusive rather than inclusive and I don't want to be part of a community that would do that. It's like having a Black History Month rally and not having Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. on the marquee because he is "too popular and has his own fans".

I respect the mods and in so doing this is my last post in this thread. I will not whine and argue about it. I will simply say my peace and leave. Enjoy your thread.

TI82

Banned
Fate/Stay Night Réalta Nua is the most complete version (as long as you patch in the H-scenes). The UBW anime hasn't spoiled anything yet but watching F/Z did, though I guess there's nothing you can do about it. So yeah, read F/SN. And you have to read the routes in order so you're first going to have to read through another route than what is currently being shown in the anime. That route comes second and then comes the 'true' route (which is getting a movie at some point in the future).

When people say "routes" are these choices I have to make and then see what happens, or options when I start the game?

And I'm assuming the PC version is the best version?

Marche90

Well, it was the first version, so it lacks a few things that latter re-releases have, like anime openings for each routers, voices, more CGs and more songs... But the PC version is the only one with an english Fan-translation, so there's that. I think there are patches for the PC versions of Realta Nua, but I'm not too sure about those. Might want to check FSN's profile in VNDB.org to see if there's something for that version. As for routes, yeah, the choices are what determine which route you get to play. FSN forces you to play in a certain order, but you need to pick the necessary choices each time you start the game again to get to the next route.

Hmmm... Well, and that was something. Geez.

It's probable a bad time to talk about how I feel about Eden*, after managing to complete it just before my laptop kicked the bucket... It would probable be a good idea to get a Windows tablet while it gets fixed, seeing how everyone here is getting one, haha.

Oh, well. I'll do a mini-review of it later (whenever I get a hold of a normal pc and keyboard). Spoilers: I loved it.

Shiina

When people say "routes" are these choices I have to make and then see what happens, or options when I start the game?

And I'm assuming the PC version is the best version?

The former and the PC version is the only one with a (fan) translation.

Yasumi

Banned
Not even going to quote that post, but that Black History Month comparison is the dumbest fucking thing I've seen on GAF in months. Holy shit.

Yuuichi

good lord that went nuclear while I went to lunch
apparently he missed the second paragraph (if you can call it that) of the intro section in the op, oh well

as for the guy who wants to read F/SN, if you can read Japanese get the vita version
otherwise it's worth checking out this, which contains the game, the sequel/fandisk (it's halfway in-between) and some art stuff. It isn't cheap, but welcome to visual novels. These versions can have translation patches easily applied to them.

aravuus

It matters though. It matters a great deal to me.

You have a Visual Novel community thread with an OP which is recommending good games in the genre to people who are new to it and it omits the single greatest gateway series in the entire genre. It says explicitly in the OP that this is for beginners or newbies to the genre, not existing fans that want to expand their horizons. I cannot be part of a community that would knowingly do that, especially for the reasons given to explain it. I wholeheartedly disagree with that formulation. It is being exclusive rather than inclusive and I don't want to be part of a community that would do that. It's like having a Black History Month rally and not having Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. on the marquee because he is "too popular and has his own fans".

I respect the mods and in so doing this is my last post in this thread. I will not whine and argue about it. I will simply say my peace and leave. Enjoy your thread.

Hooooly shit

I shook my head so hard my neck is now sore

Top Bottom