• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

grim-tales

Oh good point, I hadnt thought of that. I thought we get a new word every Wednesday :/
I cant wait that long for more words/info :(

aravuus

You're going to be waiting for a while until we get some real info, might as well pay it no attention.

Honestly, teasing something months early is kind of stupid.

You're going to be waiting for a while until we get some real info, might as well pay it no attention.

I just hope it is because this is ZE3 and they really wanted to use the number 0303 in the teaser.

Shizuka

Stupid and mean, since they're clearly evoking elements from the ZE series.

Sagely

So it seems like one of the translators (or the translator?) for Fantastic Boyfriends: Legends of Midearth is GAF's own apricot! She talked a bit about the game and the upcoming crowdsourcing project on her website, it's definitely worth a look.

I'm beyond excited for this game. :D

Thanks for the link! I'm also really excited for this and will definitely be keeping an eye on the devs if they intend to make more LGBT-friendly games :) Hopefully there will be plenty more in the future - I'm quite new to VNs, especially dating sims, and tend to gravitate towards LGBT romance whenever there's an option.

Just finished Danganronpa on a legal copy for the first time.

The game definitely plays the best on Vita. Also, the amount of media you can buy via monocoins post-game is amazing. Bought the whole soundtrack and the character art for each character... then ran out of Monocoins.

It's gonna be a blast to platinum (making it my first plat)

Just finished Danganronpa on a legal copy for the first time.

The game definitely plays the best on Vita. Also, the amount of media you can buy via monocoins post-game is amazing. Bought the whole soundtrack and the character art for each character... then ran out of Monocoins.

It's gonna be a blast to platinum (making it my first plat)

It was my first plat too, the only other games I've platinumed since are DR2, Sly Cooper 1, and Grim Fandango. To get the plat in DR2 takes a lot longer than DR1.

Shizuka

Things have come full circle. I just finished watching an amazing anime series called Terror in Resonance. I googled everything to learn if there was more, and I read about the animation studio that made the anime. When I read the list of projects they're involved with, I found Punchline. After clicking on it, I found out that the first episode gets released tomorrow on Crunchyroll. It's fate, isn't it?

yami4ct

Things have come full circle. I just finished watching an amazing anime series called Terror in Resonance. I googled everything to learn if there was more, and I read about the animation studio that made the anime. When I read the list of projects they're involved with, I found Punchline. After clicking on it, I found out that the first episode gets released tomorrow on Crunchyroll. It's fate, isn't it?

I'm really interested in finding out what that show actually is. There has to be more to it than's been shown. If they pull off something as crazy as they potentially could, the show could be amazing.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
i716antyvRr45.gif

?

I kinda wish the voice acting was a little better for the title. Since when playing it something always felt off. Then again it was a budget VN type of title so am not surprised that the quality was so-so.

Shizuka

It stems from my habit of reading multiple books at once. I am reading 4 or 5 books at the moment.

Why are you reading five books and playing five visual novels at the same time? Japanese games tend to have very particular japanese names, I'd never be able to keep up with more than one game at a time.

pariah164

Why are you reading five books and playing five visual novels at the same time? Japanese games tend to have very particular japanese names, I'd never be able to keep up with more than one game at a time.
Because I hate myself? IDK, it's just something I've always done.

apricot

So it seems like one of the translators (or the translator?) for Fantastic Boyfriends: Legends of Midearth is GAF's own apricot! She talked a bit about the game and the upcoming crowdsourcing project on her website, it's definitely worth a look.

Someone called? ;)

I'm currently the only translator on the project! I can't comment on whether Lifewonders will have me do the whole game or hire additional translators should their crowd funding campaign be successful

aravuus

Why not

I've been reading like 5 or 6 different books for the past 12 months and I sometimes do the same with VNs. Most of the books and VNs are so long that it's nice to mix things up a bit here and there, read a couple of weeks of scifi, then a couple of weeks of fantasy etc

I do agree that Japanese names are hard to remember, but it's not that hard to remember the names after a while.

Anko

I find it interesting how dominate the BL genre's becoming. Those fangirls(and boys :p) must really be coming out in droves.

Not my cup of tea, but I'm glad they have a niche. Kind of wish we got more traditional dating sims, though. (And not eroge.)

Have any GL(is that the phrase?) ones ever been localized?

I can't think of any yuri dating sims that has been localised (is there even any to localise?), but if we were to talk about yuri VNs in general then there's Lonely Yuri. It's a doujin VN though, so it is very short and is not voiced at all. If you're open to Japanese only VNs then the list is comparatively bigger.

Japan is getting Innocent Grey's Flowers (Summer) in a little over 7 days and I can't wait to get my hands on it. After that it will be 2 weeks before Hakuisei drops. It could be better, but it's a pretty good time to be a yuri fan (that can read Japanese) right now.

GL isn't really a term. They're usually referred to as yuri games. And there's only one in English that I know of off-hand.

I don't think it's used by the English fans but GL is a valid term in Japan. It's nowhere as common as Yuri but some do use it. There's NL, BL and GL.

Join the club, I paused Higurashi to play FSN, and that was months ago.

Not to mention Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters having come out a couple weeks ago.

i've totally missed the release of this game... i'm somewhat tempted since it seems like an hybrid of strategy game + Vn.
It's nisa + arcsys but i've got to ask , does this game have a japanese dub ?
Also , is it difficult ?? going by the website there are plenty of systems and sub systems in place.

i've totally missed the release of this game... i'm somewhat tempted since it seems like an hybrid of strategy game + Vn.
It's nisa + arcsys but i've got to ask , does this game have a japanese dub ?
Also , is it difficult ?? going by the website there are plenty of systems and sub systems in place.

It has Japanese audio. And it is a VN/SRPG hybrid. The story is presented like an episodic TV series about high school students hunting ghosts. It plays a lot like Vandal Hearts 2 if you're familiar with that title, with both the player and enemy AI selecting actions at the same time. I didn't find it especially difficult. You just need to learn to make use of traps to limit the ghosts movements and it's not that hard.

aravuus

The story is presented like an episodic TV series about high school students hunting ghosts.

I've asked a couple of questions about the game, but what I should have asked is this: is the story episodic or is there an overarching plot? Like, is it a bunch of couple of hour long "episodes"/chapters, that have their own small story and ghosts but nothing to do with each other, except for probably having the same characters?

Never gotten into anything episodic, I think. On the other hand though, there are a couple of shows that start off episodic, but start to reveal the overarching plot or myth arc bit by bit that I love. Stuff like Fringe. Man the first 3 or 4 seasons of that were good.

I've asked a couple of questions about the game, but what I should have asked is this: is the story episodic or is there an overarching plot? Like, is it a bunch of couple of hour long "episodes"/chapters, that have their own small story and ghosts but nothing to do with each other, except for probably having the same characters?

Never gotten into anything episodic, I think. On the other hand though, there are a couple of shows that start off episodic, but start to reveal the overarching plot or myth arc bit by bit that I love. Stuff like Fringe. Man the first 3 or 4 seasons of that were good.

Most of it is episodic individual cases, many of which feature characters that only appear in that episode. But it eventually builds up to a larger conclusion. Most of the cases aren't really tied to some overarching mystery though.

Aksys Games ‏@aksysgames 56s57 seconds ago
Mentioned this earlier (and will do so again) but @AllAksys, our humble monthly-ish fighting game stream, is this Saturday! #4infinity

Something happening this Saturday? or just teasing?

jzbluz

Mentioned this earlier (and will do so again) but @AllAksys, our humble monthly-ish fighting game stream, is this Saturday! #4infinity

So it's a Zero Escape fighting game?

Shizuka

I knew this was going to be a fighting game.

grim-tales

WTF? Is that it? :(
If we have a new word (coin) now that descredits the theory that we get a new word on the 1st of every month as I think we got the last one on April 1 or 2.
Edit: I dont think its that, they mention the fighting game happens every month anyway.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Its weird they mention the hashtag though. What is going on?!

Salt ring coin.... An anagram maybe?
I get "Tracing Lions" from it...

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I didn't see "Salt" either, but it apparently briefly appeared before "Ring"... in the same place "Coin" is now.

I'm actually relieved we get more than one word a month.

It has Japanese audio. And it is a VN/SRPG hybrid. The story is presented like an episodic TV series about high school students hunting ghosts. It plays a lot like Vandal Hearts 2 if you're familiar with that title, with both the player and enemy AI selecting actions at the same time. I didn't find it especially difficult. You just need to learn to make use of traps to limit the ghosts movements and it's not that hard.

Thanks for the answer . I think i'm intrrested.
Will play once i get a little free time.

takoyaki

I finally managed to ignore the site for a few days and now it's changing again. Did the word "salt" move in the same way as the word "ring" is now? Never saw it myself.

edit:
OH GOD IT CHANGED And salt has been in the place ring is AND where coin was, I can confirm this.

Thanks! Do you remember if it moved from right to left as well?

Burnburn

Salt... coin... the tweet about the fighting game... The only conclusion I can draw from this is the following. It's going to be an arcade fighting game, that is going to make you salty en will eat all of your coins.

it's still ze3

redhood56

Banned
I managed to forget the teaser site and now this happens. So maybe they give us a hint during their livestream? It would make sense as it would result in a bump in viewers. Please let this not be a fighting game.

Top Bottom