• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
For me (someone who's pledges to all successful SP projects), I think what needs to be worked on too, is a lack of community management. Been a while since we've seen any presence in this topic/GAF, and the forums aren't the quickest to be updated on. It seems that once a project has been funded, updates have been thin (except lately when we got a flood of info), and what would really help too, is more constant info. I follow on FB mainly to get updates in the fastest way possible, but I definitely think more talk with the fans can help. It's... kind of sad that the SP forums are very quiet, give or take the odd question or too. More ETAs are definitely helpful, as well.

I sure hope by the end of the year we will see the floodgates open.

Aku-Audi

For me (someone who's pledges to all successful SP projects), I think what needs to be worked on too, is a lack of community management. Been a while since we've seen any presence in this topic/GAF, and the forums aren't the quickest to be updated on. It seems that once a project has been funded, updates have been thin (except lately when we got a flood of info), and what would really help too, is more constant info. I follow on FB mainly to get updates in the fastest way possible, but I definitely think more talk with the fans can help. It's... kind of sad that the SP forums are very quiet, give or take the odd question or too. More ETAs are definitely helpful, as well.

I sure hope by the end of the year we will see the floodgates open.

This is being worked on as we speak actually, problem up till now has just been that there's not been enough people involved to dedicate efforts on community management and communication, but it's being improved and you should see the results of this very soon.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
This is being worked on as we speak actually, problem up till now has just been that there's not been enough people involved to dedicate efforts on community management and communication, but it's being improved and you should see the results of this very soon.

I hope so. I get that there's soooo much going on, but communication is VERY important, along with having someone that should be more dedicated to the communication, rather than the product.

Shizuka

Communication was one of the biggest issues, but there are others I'm just not seeing being addressed.

- Why is Sekai Project the only company (overly) relying on Kickstarter for projects, when others can do games (and offer physical copies) without having to rely on it?

- How can you open Kickstarters offering physical products and console/handheld ports when you barely have fulfilled any of the promised ones from past Kickstarter projects?

- How did Sekai Project get away with promising stretch goals when they had no idea whatsoever what it'd entail? I get promising games as PSM right at the beginning, since that would be supposedly easy, but then there came other KS offering Vita stretch goals and it was obvious (after the projects ended) they had no clue what to do. How do you something like that, promise something you don't know the first thing about actually accomplishing it?

Aku-Audi

Communication was one of the biggest issues, but there are others I'm just not seeing being addressed.

- Why is Sekai Project the only company (overly) relying on Kickstarter for projects, when others can do games (and offer physical copies) without having to rely on it?

I'm guessing most other companies you have in mind have been around for longer and have a more proper position to negotiate deals between developers and publishing partners. I don't think anyone at SP has a grand plan of relying on Kickstarter for any longer than necessary,, and we have many games now that we are launching on our own with our own funding and production which would not have been possible earlier. Games aren't just a matter of shaking a hand and uploading to the Steam frontend, it takes a lot of manpower and money.

- How can you open Kickstarters offering physical products and console/handheld ports when you barely have fulfilled any of the promised ones from past Kickstarter projects?

As long as I been hired, we been releasing games and working on producing physical merch like crazy. Most of our titles have designated teams that work hard on ensuring that the games are properly translated, published and that the budget is properly managed. Many other companies reissue old stock and merch from Japan which doesn't increase their costs, but we haven't had the luxury with a project so far. Console / Handheld has always been worked on, and as I mentioned earlier I was hired to specifically focus on that due to having worked with that for other companies, so SP is a good position to offer this now.

- How did Sekai Project get away with promising stretch goals when they had no idea whatsoever what it'd entail? I get promising games as PSM right at the beginning, since that would be supposedly easy, but then there came other KS offering Vita stretch goals and it was obvious (after the projects ended) they had no clue what to do. How do you something like that, promise something you don't know the first thing about actually accomplishing it?

While this might be true for the time when they did those Kickstarters (I haven't been around that long), I think I've explained already several times that lately SP has hired people with experience in different fields to get this properly situated and managed. It's a young company and people are very driven and motivated to do their best, and when I came aboard it wasn't like no work had been done in these areas, there was days and months of efforts already put into this, but as the company slowly grew they could finally get more people with specific experiences involved.

I'm optimistic with the Muv Luv KS, since the original developer is working closely with Degica regarding everything (porting, publishing, additional content). I think the physical Vita copies will take a long while to be shipped, but with the $80 tier, you also get digital codes, which means you can play the game while waiting for the copies.

Alright, I'm in! Even if I just play the games that I backed on kickstarters 2016 is shaping up to be an amazing year.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Narcissu is at $20k already which is pretty good! Hoping to get to at least the $100k stretch goal for the extra story.

Someone actually did a breakdown on the status of all of Sekai Projects Kickstarters. It misses a couple of things, but it shows how far behind they are on fulfilling all of their obligations.

Been playing Notch the Innocent Luna and it's really weird. I knew the translation was wonky, and while it's serviceable as far as knowing what's going on goes, but it makes it kind of tough to get a feel for what kind of person the main character is because the dialogue just seems like a bunch of stock responses. Or maybe he has poor characterization in the original as well, I don't know. Either way, it's kind of jarring.

The plot itself has potential, but the pacing is also really wonky. Even if the situation is really dire, everyone moves past it relatively quickly. It's like "oh hey, I found a body in the woods. Well that sucks. Better go on with my day and not ruin this date I have later!" Seems like nothing is given any weight at all and it's really weird.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Someone actually did a breakdown on the status of all of Sekai Projects Kickstarters. It misses a couple of things, but it shows how far behind they are on fulfilling all of their obligations.

Trying to stay optimistic, but yeah I think they were REALLY hopeful with their dates. Soon... so I hope >_>

Checking up on current KS: Muv-Luv @ $787k, Narcissu @ $30 (and will undoubtly get funded)

right now it's safe to say that for me i won't back any sekai project kickstarter untill they solve their current issues.

My wallet has a bottom , you see. So they better work on grisaia release, for exemple

Shizuka

Flowers appears to have been quietly delayed. JAST's official website no longer lists Fall 2015 as the release date.

Compare this to this.

tQc9Oze.gif

Flowers appears to have been quietly delayed. JAST's official website no longer lists Fall 2015 as the release date.

Compare this to this.
SHOCKING TR.... maybe not

grisaia is literally all i want from them

There was a point where i was pledging for the clannad one .. and then i pledged 0 ..
Best decision i've taken that month.
I do have hopes for WAS to be good ( but at least i understand that this game is still being made so i'm waiting patiently )

Jazz573

So, there's a VN from the doujin circle Aiueo Kompany and Sekai Project coming to Steam, called Sound of Drop -fall into poison- (aka Shizuku no Oto), and it's releasing tomorrow:

Description:
Nestled in the heart of Tokyo, the quaint little aquarium, Manten Aquarium.
Numerous urban legends have arisen from here.
On the night of the full moon the waters turn to blood and man faced fish lurk within.

Junior high school students Mayu and Himeno came to Manten Aquarium to investigate these urban legends.
In the beginning it was fun, but then.
They see a glimpse of Mayu’s missing littler sister, Mari.
The wheels of fate begin turning as they chase after Mari’s shadow.

--Before she realizes it, Mayu finds herself alone and lost in the crimson aquarium.

How to play
・Proceed through the story from Mayu’s point of view
・Make choices through the game and choose your fate.

Contains
・3 main story routes
・Over 30 endings (Mostly bad)

Steam page

Shizuka

They do have a bunch of releases for which they have no Kickstarters I believe. I think it's just Japanese High School Life, Root Double and Narcissu, so far, hopefully that's all for a long while.

This game also has a demo.

I know that, I was just kidding.

Jazz573

The weird ones. Are they good?

Can't speak for Love at First Sight since I haven't played it. I know Jaw really liked The Way We All Go, and I think he generally has good taste. The Reject Demon: Toko Chapter 0, again I haven't played so I can't really say anything. Steam reception seems to be positive for all of them, but then again, Bad Rats has a reception of "Very Positive". :p

Steam reception is irrelevant, especially for visual novels that only get a few reviews. It's not going to tell you anything other than if there are game breaking bugs.

Speaking of VNs with bizarrely positive reviews on Steam, Kagura Douchuuki posted this announcement.

bug fix.
October 23 - Debonosu Works Inc.
We fixed the problem cannot be started in an English environment.
Try these steps if you are experiencing problems in your environment.
1. Delete local content of KaguraDoucyuuki.
2. Please install again.
Thank you.
(This is machine-translated. )
Even the patch notes are machine translated. Hah.

Jazz573

Steam reception is irrelevant, especially for visual novels that only get a few reviews. It's not going to tell you anything other than if there are game breaking bugs.

That's what my dig at Bad Rats having a positive reception was about. :p

Yeah that's right!

bah its not on sales :/

but its good right?

It better be. I backed the KS after all. Should play it one of these days.

I checked VNDB. Average of 6.98, Bayesian of 6.44. Keep in mind this is only based on 23 votes.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
8 for the main story. 6 for the rest (Hou and Rei). Expect them all out whenever HL3 releases. :p

I'm the type that will wait for all eps to come out until I buy (I patient). With the HL3 comparison... guess I'll be a skeleton before they all come out :x

Clannad Update
The physical copies are delayed until 2016.
A couple unforeseen setbacks with the guidebook layout and the MABINOGI album are forcing our hand to deliver the physical edition of the game shortly after the Steam launch, at the start of the new year. Getting all proper pieces set in place is taking slightly longer than we had initially anticipated and planned on.

Top Bottom