• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Jazz573

Well since I'm the resident SP employee in here, I'll just chime in with some stuff here. Everyone is entitled to opinions so I don't mind seeing any of the criticism in here (I write everything down and discuss it in our meetings actually) so please don't stop being honest about how you guys feel. We're all friends be it a stormy night or a sunny day.

First off, I work with dovac every single day, have been for quite some time. Now I'll be honest myself and say that sometimes, it takes me a while to understand his humor on some things but that's the thing, his sarcastic and dry sense of humor can sometimes come off wrong and make things sound bad. This is not an excuse on his behalf, but it is important to state very clearly that if anyone suggest that dovac somehow only cares to make money and doesn't care about fans/the product, then he spectacularly failed his Scrooge McDuck quest so far. He takes great care of us in the company, he always works hours extra when we all turn off the lights. He can be a bit bad at handling vocal minorities due to fatigue but eh, he's not Phil Fish just yet. The new PR and community team is doing stellar work and communication is getting much better by the day.

We are always under NDA, we are always answering to many stipulations, requirements and sometimes confusing requests, and while we love working with everyone it can sometimes cause a bit of a stumble getting this across to the general public. This affects some of the KS projects extensively, since we need final approvals on very small details that can take weeks to clear. Lately though, as I mentioned in the past, the company has hired new people to improve many aspects to SP. Then they hired me and undid all good they ever done.

Seriously though, I don't mind any comments made by any of you and welcome any discussions as free as the sky to take place. I write down many comments, I speak up for them, and its always taken seriously. We haven't had any falling outs or anything of the kind that has been suggested with any parties however. I don't handle the contracts, but I can tell you that we are on good terms with all parties we worked with so far, but we cannot take on every project and that leads to some trying different avenues seeing that there is a market for them even without us doing the work.

Thanks for writing this. You'll always be a cool guy in my book, mainly for your taste in VN composers. :p

Well now I'm a bit paranoid.
I kid

Though it's good to see that you are looking see you are looking criticism. Even if you are just laughing at us in your meetings.

Aku-Audi

Thanks for writing this. You'll always be a cool guy in my book, mainly for your taste in VN composers. :p

Thank you for reading it.

I'll tell you a secret since you seem to know of my taste. At the time when Umemoto Ryu died, me and him were working on a VN together. I still have his unfinished script portion and test artwork here at my work desk.

I'll tell you a secret since you seem to know of my taste. At the time when Umemoto Ryu died, me and him were working on a VN together. I still have his unfinished script portion and test artwork here at my work desk.

That must be heart breaking =/ (On top of many other feels!)

Sekai Project's monthly video is up. There are some announcements.

Waga Ie no Koneko-chan (a mobile port to PC)

The Orchard of Stray Sheep A Q1 2016 release

Yume no Sono - Garden of Dreams
It's a very humbling experience to be mentioned next to such heavy weights like Narcissu and Wagamama and the others. If I told this to my old self 10 years ago he would've laughed out loud. Makes me want to work even harder to produce something great! I'm paying all out of my pocket so it's really been a huge challenge and a lot of cup noodles as a daily diet...

(I'm the Yume No Sono dev, I usually post mostly at DevGAF but I sometimes crosspost here. This week I got several key art, including the first finished event CG.)

Jazz573

Now I'm sad. ;(

I only came across his work a few years ago, and was saddened after finding out such a talented person was not around anymore.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Narcissu is at $42,079/$75,000. A slow climb, and a little extra push from Anime News Network, as they recently featured it.

Falk

that puzzling face
I've been very interested for a long while now to see how big the JP-speaking VN userbase is on Steam (edit: In other words' Steam's value as purely a distribution channel vs other existing/established storefronts where people typically get these from), so I'm watching this like a hawk to see how well it does out of the gate.

So I reached the ending of the Unlimited Blade Works path of Fate/Stay Night

How do I know if I saw the good ending or true ending? I would try and find it myself but I don't want to accidentally spoil anything I haven't seen

Shizuka

Just started Eiyuu Senki today. I've read on VNDB that it's a lengthy visual novel, I can't wait to sink my teeth into it.

gaiages

Banned
I'm debating whether or not to actually back that; I love plushies and all, and the normal price isn't bad at all (seeing as you get a bunch of stuff), but... I dunno. I'll think about it over the next few days.

Over the weekend, I decided to play Asphyxia, it was really good actually! I was surprised by the overall writing quality, it was pretty (though the characters do remind me of dolls and it's just slightly creepy...), and it handles some deep stuff. Worth a read! It only took me about 5 hours to see everything, too. :)

Aku-Audi

Did any of you guys play Sound of Drop - fall into poison -? We got a lot of great feedback on the game and it did very well in the Halloween season, but I am interested in what VNGAF thinks of it.

can anybody recommend what to read next after Steins;Gate? i think what i like best about SG is the akihabara setting, the in game glossary, and the ambient atmosphere. i'm not incredibly knowledgeable about japanese culture, but SG at least felt like it was trying to teach a bit about japanese culture without feeling educational or tourist(y). are there any other VNs similar to that, something that can tell an interesting story as well as impart some culture/knowledge?

It's end of October and PQube guy has given an update.

"Please ask again at end of November."

Full email contents:
R6GlUXC.png

So at least they're definitely planning to release something in 2016.

gaiages

Banned
Did any of you guys play Sound of Drop - fall into poison -? We got a lot of great feedback on the game and it did very well in the Halloween season, but I am interested in what VNGAF thinks of it.

I've wanted to try it, but there have been a lot of VNs coming out recently that I just can't keep up. :( I am planning on getting it eventually, though :)

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I've wanted to try it, but there have been a lot of VNs coming out recently that I just can't keep up. :( I am planning on getting it eventually, though :)

I'm in the same boat, but it's more just life being busy right now that I can't do much gaming period right now :/ Trying to get done a bunch of stuff, and so much to do, so little time :/

So Sekai Project cropped all the CGs in their G-senjou no Maou release into 16:9. I suppose they think people on Steam won't buy 4:3 games, but I'm not going to buy a butchered release without the original aspect ratio.

And of course they even locked the Steam thread that brought this up. Can't let those consumers be informed.

Lain

So Sekai Project cropped all the CGs in their G-senjou no Maou release into 16:9. I suppose they think people on Steam won't buy 4:3 games, but I'm not going to buy a butchered release without the original aspect ratio.

And of course they even locked the Steam thread that brought this up. Can't let those consumers be informed.

I hope that turns out to not be the case because I'd like to get the game on Steam, but not like that.

Jazz573

Mind if I cross-post this in the Steam thread?

Aku-Audi

Go ahead.

And now they even deleted the thread I linked to and some other posts by the person who made it. That's some shady shit SP.

I'll look into what the reason for this was for you. Based on that screen alone, there shouldn't have been any reason to lock it.

Shizuka

I feel like just as fast as Sekai Project rose to the top, they're stumbling down. All the Kickstarters, all the promises, now this?

Top Bottom