• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Volkswagen Reports Record Profit (20 billion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastry

Banned
Never buying a VW again, repairs for my girlfriend's car are through the fucking roof. I thought it was a great car until parts started breaking and then goddamn.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
VW wants to set foot in the US after years of not giving a crap, therefore some car models (with nearly every extra equipped) cost less then the same entry model car in Germany. They take the hit.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Never buying a VW again, repairs for my girlfriend's car are through the fucking roof. I thought it was a great car until parts started breaking and then goddamn.

every german car is expensive to fix, VW, Audi, BMW mercedes etc.

Also every car needs some sort of repairs at some point, its kind of luck of the draw.

The IS is sort of nice, but the last awesome looking Lexus was the last gen IS wagon. The rest look fat. They are getting better but they still don't have a looker. Acura has gone through a really bad period too. The big Infiniti M is the only handsome luxury sedan from Japan right now (IMO). Whereas the Euro lux cars have loads of gorgeous sedans.

o6Jic.jpg

Yes the big infinity m looks nice. Too bad the gs looks like shit

And what euro cars look good. Mercedes look good on the inside but look like ass on the outside (unless you're willing to spend six figures on a car). And BMWs are the opposite with interiors only a robot could like.

VW has been doing a lot of things right in recent times.

1) ensure models are made more cost efficient (the golf VI is far cheaper to produce than the V, the introduction of 1 platform that like an accordion can expand or contract so all types of models can be built on it, ...)

2) focusing on growing markets like China and India

3) Focusing on smaller cars (VW Up) and fuel efficient motors in Europe.

...these things come to mind.

That sounds pretty damn absurd. To be honest, I know a bunch of people who drive VW, and I've never heard any complaints about reliability or service. Might be coincidence of course.

You're dutch right? From what I understand, VW in Europe and the US are two different beasts altogether. VW in Europe stands for rather expensive (in its class) but reliable cars, while in the US they're cheaper but have a rather poor reputation on quality. I think the cars are being made in different factories with different quality standards for both continents.

Saroyan

every german car is expensive to fix, VW, Audi, BMW mercedes etc.

Also every car needs some sort of repairs at some point, its kind of luck of the draw.

I would actually say that ANY car is expensive to fix, I worked as a mechanic for a few years right after high school so I can luckily do almost all repairs and maintenance myself, the only things I'm missing are a tire machine and an alignment rack hehe.

I've been absolutely shocked at times when I hear about people paying thousands to have a job done that I could easily take care of on a Saturday afternoon for the price of the parts and a couple beers.

Ourobolus

Banned
Love my 2011 Jetta TDI. Other than the fact that apparently I drive over a bed of nails every day, I've had no problems with the car. Love it.

The IS is sort of nice, but the last awesome looking Lexus was the last gen IS wagon. The rest look fat. They are getting better but they still don't have a looker. Acura has gone through a really bad period too. The big Infiniti M is the only handsome luxury sedan from Japan right now (IMO). Whereas the Euro lux cars have loads of gorgeous sedans.

o6Jic.jpg

Out of all of them and you pick the IS wagon!? I counter you sir with the GS 350 and LF-LC.

Lexus-GS_350_F_Sport_2013_800x600_wallpaper_03.jpg

Lexus-LF-LC_Concept_2012_800x600_wallpaper_04.jpg

I would actually say that ANY car is expensive to fix, I worked as a mechanic for a few years right after high school so I can luckily do almost all repairs and maintenance myself, the only things I'm missing are a tire machine and an alignment rack hehe.

I've been absolutely shocked at times when I hear about people paying thousands to have a job done that I could easily take care of on a Saturday afternoon for the price of the parts and a couple beers.

hello friend do you live on the east coast?

They got some of my money last year. Now on my 3rd VW and I don't think I could switch to anything else besides German cars unless I can afford something insane.

I adore my 11 GTI

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
What the hell happened to car design. Every car has gotten uglier and uglier. Both the new Camry and the 2011 Accord are pukeworthy.

Seriously the only sub 50k cars that don't look like ass are the Lexus IS250 ES350 and the Audis (A6 and TT in particular).

alfa romeo

but they don't sell them in the US

(and they break every 30 seconds)

and an interesting fact: VW is 20% state owned. why, exactly, did we spend years and years privatising everything under the sun in the UK on the grounds that state-owned businesses were sickly, frail little things?

That sounds pretty damn absurd. To be honest, I know a bunch of people who drive VW, and I've never heard any complaints about reliability or service. Might be coincidence of course.

I think all except the special edition Wolfsburg are made in Mexico now. They were problematic when they first switched (mostly electrical problems from what I remember) but I think they're supposed to be fine now. I think some of the newer styles were first only made in Germany when they were first starting in Mexico but I could have sworn they said all have been switched over except obviously the wolfsburg model.

Oh ficken.

That doesn't even make sense.

Grinchy

Banned
It's crazy that you can sell $160 billion worth of merchandise and only profit $20 billion. That's not adding much to the discussion...just a random thought.

Dilli666

They should start investing that money in the research of electric cars.
The new Golf 6 still uses as much diesel as the Golf 2 TDI.

2San

I really like VW so I think this is well deserved, but I'm from the Netherlands though. Sad to see that the service and build quality isn't up on par in the US.
Never drove that one. I have driven the FX30d, obviously not a sedan, but that car was god like. Nissan definitely knows what's up.

Just Googled it. Why on Earth would you change it from Golf to Rabbit lol. Also, the Beetle would have retained legendary status had they not made the new one so butt ugly.

Why would you switch it like they did after it was named rabbit in the US for so long? They caused so much confusion for people jumping back and forth. Rabbit is still cooler than Golf though.

I actually don't mind the new beetle now that I've seen it in person. I still would have been nice if they just kept the cabrio and made it into that. Follow the cabrio more than the beetle style.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Why would you switch it like they did after it was named rabbit in the US for so long? They caused so much confusion for people jumping back and forth. Rabbit is still cooler than Golf though.

I actually don't mind the new beetle now that I've seen it in person. I still would have been nice if they just kept the cabrio and made it into that. Follow the cabrio more than the beetle style.

'golf' is a classic. 'rabbit' sound stupid.

It's an expletive you'd use when you'd be pissed off. You would say "Mann, Ficken ey!" when you'd lose at Tekken, for example.

:lol Losing at tekken.

I guess the translation just seems weird. In english it would be like "Mann, fucking ey!" so oh ficken would be like oh fucking. which is weird. It would be like oh fick or oh fuck. Just seems weird.

Sarcasm

Reliability thing is really down per person. I've had three VWs in my life with no problems. My wife gets a toyota and thing dies in a year lol.

The R8, TT, and GTI are sexy.

Here in Taiwan I see a lot of the VW campers driving around.

Draft

When I was a kid the GTI VR6 was my dream car. It's not very practical to own one today, but last week I did the next best thing and bought a CPO 2011 GTI. I love that car.

My first stick, too. I'm finally a real man.

Reliability thing is really down per person. I've had three VWs in my life with no problems. My wife gets a toyota and thing dies in a year lol.

The R8, TT, and GTI are sexy.

Here in Taiwan I see a lot of the VW campers driving around.

? Two of those cars are audis......

kehs

Banned
Out of all of them and you pick the IS wagon!? I counter you sir with the GS 350 and LF-LC.

http://img2.netcarshow.com/Lexus-GS_350_F_Sport_2013_800x600_wallpaper_03.jpg[IMG]
[/QUOTE]

Looks like a shitty aftermarket extreme edition drifter bumper on front.

Jeez.

Sarcasm

? Two of those cars are audis......

Guess who the parent company is?

Also thats the point why there is VW and Audi (they also own Porsche).

If there was no difference why would you have the three? lol.

Have you been in a GTI in Euro/US? Its pretty much an A3/A4 in there.

And guess what is the difference between a VW 2.0T and an Audi 2.0T is?

4motion vs quattro?

**No not making fun.

And there are differences between what I asked, some not so much but there are. Like the torque between the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom