• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Volkswagen Reports Record Profit (20 billion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarcasm

He used a TT and an R8. Are they just VW golfs with really nice interiors too? That's like saying all lexuses=Toyota.

Actually the TT interior is pretty damn barren. But that may be my location.

The R8 is damn sexy though. When I dropped off the A8 I got to see a customers R8.

Also I would not really say a GTI is an entry lvl VW.

Here is the picture of the GTI when I had one:

http://i.minus.com/ibt2c0bK9Xbb4J.JPG
jbhrqoOA57M7PD.JPG

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I don't know if it's just the people that I know, but everyone that I know that has a Jetta has had major problems with it.

Karud

Which isn't the same. Audi's are much more luxury than a VW. There's a reason they are a different line.

VW participates in all ground-breaking decisions. Like GM is denying OPEL access to US-Markets.

This is the VW AG:

Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, MAN, Porsche, Scania, Seat, Skoda, VW and VW Commercial

Draft

He used a TT and an R8. Are they just VW golfs with really nice interiors too? That's like saying all lexuses=Toyota.
I think the TT shares a lot of hardware with the Golf, actually.

A5 (PQ35)

The PQ35 platform is designed to be more modular and flexible than previous A platforms. For the first time, a fully independent suspension front and rear will be present in all A platform vehicles. There is also a derivative version of this platform for 'B'-class cars (with larger variations expected in the future) called PQ46.
PQ35 is intended for compact-size vehicles, and PQ46 is an enlarged version for mid-size vehicles, such as the Volkswagen Passat. A common misconception is that the PQ46 generation of the Passat is based on the "B6" (PL46) platform. However, this transverse engined Passat has little in common with the longitudinal engined "B6" Audi A4.
Current and expected PQ35 platform cars (Typ numbers in brackets):
Audi A3 Mk2 (8P)
Audi TT Mk2 (8J)[1]
Volkswagen Touran (1T)
Volkswagen Caddy (2K)
SEAT Altea (5P)
Volkswagen Golf Mk5 / GTI / R32 / Rabbit Mk5 (1K)
Škoda Octavia Mk2 (1Z)
Volkswagen Golf Plus (5M)
SEAT Toledo Mk3 (5P)
Volkswagen Jetta Mk5 (1K)
SEAT León Mk2 (1P)
Volkswagen Eos (1F)
Volkswagen Tiguan (5N)
Volkswagen Scirocco (13)
Volkswagen Golf Mk6 (5K)
Škoda Yeti (5L)
Škoda Superb (3T)
Audi Q3
Volkswagen Jetta Mk6 (NCS)
Volkswagen Beetle (2011-)
In any case, the point is that it's perfectly reasonable to see similar levels of style and quality in cars coming from the same parent company.

edit: One of the reasons I got the GTI is the interior. It's sick. I was looking at Audi's too, and ultimately I felt like the GTI was Audi level interior craftsmanship at VW prices.

VW participates in all ground-breaking decisions. Like GM is denying OPEL access to US-Markets.

This is the VW AG:

Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, MAN, Porsche, Scania, Seat, Skoda, VW and VW Commercial

Ok? I don't know what this has to do with people saying their VWs were reliable. I'm not sure why people keep thinking I don't know who VW owns.

Actually the TT interior is pretty damn barren. But that may be my location.

The R8 is damn sexy though. When I dropped off the A8 I got to see a customers R8.

Also I would not really say a GTI is an entry lvl VW.

Here is the picture of the GTI when I had one:

http://i.minus.com/ibt2c0bK9Xbb4J.JPG
jbhrqoOA57M7PD.JPG

I honestly don't even know who you're talking to at this point. You keep posting proof about things that were never said.

2San

I think the TT shares a lot of hardware with the Golf, actually.

In any case, the point is that it's perfectly reasonable to see similar levels of style and quality in cars coming from the same parent company.

edit: One of the reasons I got the GTI is the interior. It's sick. I was looking at Audi's too, and ultimately I felt like the GTI was Audi level interior craftsmanship at VW prices.
So the Audi A1 drives like which VW again?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Nice. My next car will be whatever the newest Golf or Polo at the time is. I'm sure it'll last me at least 5 years without any big problem, weird people are complaining about their reliability

Good to see success in this economy. But I cannot see myself ever owning a VW or any of it's brands. EVERY VW/Audi owner I know has had numerous mechanical and electrical problems.

When I'm ready to step up to luxury I will look at Lexus and Infinity. Reliability > All else. Or if I really get into a nice income bracket than it will be BMW and I won't care how much repairs cost.

Karud

2San

The Polo, which it's based on.

The A1 drives surprisingly similar to his older more expensive brothers. Which is more a heavy feel and heavier shifting. While the Polo a great car in it's own right drives completely different, which is a lot more lighter..

You could say they're the same, except they drive and look completely different.

On the flip side:
Like Peugeot and Citroen they use a lot of the same components in the cars.
These drive surprisingly similar and I'm not even talking about the c1 and 107(which are literally the same car). The c3 and the 307 have pretty much the same feel.

Like Peugeot and Citroen they use a lot of the same components in the cars.
And I just read an article about the direction VW is heading:

It's a German article but I saw you regularly posting in the German-Language thread.
:)

http://www.spiegel.de/auto/aktuell/0,1518,814246,00.html

You son of a bitch. :p I know they do, other companies like Lexus and Toyota, etc. do the same. They still use better components as you go up where they can explain the difference in price. I just don't think they can be directly compared especially with how shitty the VWs were in the early 2000s in the US when they switched to Mexico. I don't remember if they ever moved Audi production to Mexico, I know they were talking about it but since I can't afford an Audi I never followed up on it. I'll read the article though.

TT is a Beetle. R8 is on a class of its own. Still most of the engineering is the same.

Quality of components that deal with how reliable it is I'm assuming aren't though which was my point. Most people aren't going to put up with luxury cars that breakdown constantly. Part of why Jaguar has sucked for a while.

Sarcasm

Quality of components that deal with how reliable it is I'm assuming aren't though which was my point. Most people aren't going to put up with luxury cars that breakdown constantly. Part of why Jaguar has sucked for a while.

R8 and GTI are made in Germany. I am going to assume the TT is too. GOLF TDI is also made in germany (where as the jetta tdi wagon one is not) This is in regards to the NA market.

Jetta is made in Mexico. Going to assume with most of the others (passat etc)That is definitely an entry lvl car. Going to assume also the basic gas golf.

Again for NA market.

Can't say where the VWs here come from but its sure not the NA ones since they are all euro speced. (Example would be stuff like how many compartments, lights, control knobs etc).

You can typically tell where a car is made by how the VIN starts. Or you can find that silver plate where it should tell you.

I know over here the A4 made in China and Indonesia. So going to guess Jetta is too.

TylerD

All they had to do was really cheapen up the interiors and slash the base price from about 18k in 2010 to 15.7k in 2011 on the Jetta. VW's worldwide auto domination plan is well on its way. Audi is doing very well too.

R8 and GTI are made in Germany. I am going to assume the TT is too. This is in regards to the NA market.

Jetta is made in Mexico. Going to assume with most of the others (passat etc)That is definitely an entry lvl car.

Again for NA market.

Can't say where the VWs here come from but its sure not the NA ones since they are all euro speced. (Example would be stuff like how many compartments, lights, control knobs etc).

You can typically tell where a car is made by how the VIN starts. Or you can find that silver plate where it should tell you.

I know over here the A4 made in China and Indonesia. So going to guess Jetta is too.

More than just the Jetta comes from Mexico. I know the golfs definitely do and most of their spinoffs like the cabrio were made in Mexico. The beetles were too because they had the worst of the electrical problems from what I remember. Again, I'm not sure what your post is getting at, I said I was talking about US market. I never said Audis or especially something like an R8 was made in Mexico. Again, you keep arguing things no one is saying.

Sarcasm

More than just the Jetta comes from Mexico. I know the golfs definitely do and most of their spinoffs like the cabrio were made in Mexico. The beetles were too because they had the worst of the electrical problems from what I remember. Again, I'm not sure what your post is getting at, I said I was talking about US market. I never said Audis or especially something like an R8 was made in Mexico. Again, you keep arguing things no one is saying.
Just having a combo. And your not reading everything I am saying. I already said most of the cars are assembled in Mexico already. For the na market.

Unless you don't know what etc means.

Wouldn't own a Vee Dub is you put a gun to my head but good for them.
Our 2002 Jetta GLS 1.8T died the true death, at least as far as my wallet was concerned, a few weeks back. Wouldn't turn over, tensioner failure, head warpage, etc. The last in a long line of mechanical disasters with that car. It's a pity, that engine was so great, a blast to drive, but it was just so disappointing to own vs the string of Hondas we've had with minimal out of pocket maintenance.

Bought a Subaru Outback to replace it, not the most exciting thing in the world, but the closest you can get to a reasonably priced station wagon that isn't a VW. Not going to reward them for all the money we spent keeping the Jetta running.

FStop7

Banned
The Volkswagen A4 chassis (MK IV Jetta, Golf, etc) was terrible. Tons of problems (coil pack failures galore). Dogshit suspension - tons of understeer, rear torsion beam, etc.

Things changed pretty dramatically for the better with the MKV and MKVI platorms. It looks like the MKVII MQB platform should be another step in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom