• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VR Hardware] Quest 3S (299.999 USD) Pre-Order available now...includes free copy of Batman: Arkham Shadow

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member

mR8R2Q1.jpeg

Some quick highlights:
Starts at $299.99 for 128gb model.
1832 x 1920 773 PPI 20 PPD display resolution (lower compared to quest 3)
Supports 90 and 120 hrz
Snapdragon XR2 Gen 2 (matches quest 3)
Upgraded battery @4324 mAh (vs. 3640 mAh for quest 2)

Updates to their existing line of headsets:
Quest 2 - End of Life device?
Quest 3 - Eliminate 128gb version. Plan to reduce price of Quest 3 512gb version to $499.99USD

Personal Opinion:
This looks like a WIN but it seems weird to have this available today with no matching event etc. I didn't even have this on my radar until holiday season*.
There is a meta quest event today and tomorrow, which I completely slept on apparently. (updated based on thread).
Seems to be an affordable upgrade coming from Quest 2.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
For the consumer space I think this will be a huge win for them. Upgrading from a quest 2 will give a user a significantly better experience (better SOC, better battery, fantastic pass through) at more than half the price of the Quest 3 512gb version. All they need is a hardware trade-in program to pull consumer level Quest 2 adopters.

Last edited:

HogIsland

Meta is doing a great job with VR hardware, and a pretty good job with system software/firmware. It's just the whole gaming+application ecosystem that kinda sucks.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Those glasses they showed us (Orion) were mind melting. Really put those other pretenders we have been seeing recently (Snap) to shame. The future is now.
Not bad. I wonder how this affects Quest 3 pricing. Looking to sell mine.
Considering they are eliminating the 128gb model and shifting the 512gb model to $499, this probably lowered your resale value.

Personal Opinion:
This looks like a WIN but it seems weird to have this shadow drop today. I didn't even have this on my radar.
Seems to be an affordable upgrade coming from Quest 2.

This is the furthest thing from a shadow drop. We have had full specs and images of the device for months. We had a good idea about the price for a similar amount of time.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Those glasses they showed us (Orion) were mind melting. Really put those other pretenders we have been seeing recently (Snap) to shame. The future is now.

Considering they are eliminating the 128gb model and shifting the 512gb model to $499, this probably lowered your resale value.

This is the furthest thing from a shadow drop. We have had full specs and images of the device for months. We had a good idea about the price for a similar amount of time.
To clarify*
Usually hardware is paired with an event of some sort. There wasn't a Meta event this week so the sudden appearance of the pre-order page was unexpected.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
They announced today they are shifting the price of the 512gb to $499 and eliminating the 128gb model.
Added!

I don't think I would personally choose the 3S over the 3 but admittedly my opinion isn't a biased-free one. If you purchase the 256gb version of the Quest 3S its $399.99....upgrading to the reduced priced Quest 3 seems like a no brainer in this specific case.

Anyone see this is an outstanding value for a consumer or is it too pricey?

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Best bet would be try to move fast before these price changes go into effect.

Added!

I don't think I would personally choose the 3S over the 3 but admittedly my opinion isn't a biased-free one. If you purchase the 256gb version of the Quest 3S its $399.99....upgrading to the reduced priced Quest 3 seems like a no brainer in this specific case.

Anyone see this is an outstanding value for a consumer or is it too pricey?
1000% agree. The pancake lenses paired with 512gb is a fantastic addition. I own a 512gb myself and only have around 150gb free, but I'm also a VR nut.

Last edited:

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
I got the Quest 3 and am waiting for Steam Deckard (Rumored VR device).
The optics are worth the extra money for the Quest 3.
But, The Quest 3S for only 300 bucks might be a good compromise.
Many VR games being made seem to be targeting around these devices anyway.
So if it runs on the Quest 3 your good for several years.

Wonko_C

I can barely keep up with the standard 7-8 year console cycle (I haven't even purchased a PS5), so a 3 year console cycle which seems what Meta is doing is just insane to me after owning a Quest 2 two years prior. I'll wait for Quest 4. (Hopefully they add eye tracking this time around)

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I can barely keep up with the standard 7-8 year console cycle (I haven't even purchased a PS5), so a 3 year console cycle which seems what Meta is doing is just insane to me after owning a Quest 2 two years prior. I'll wait for Quest 4. (Hopefully they add eye tracking this time around)

I’m hoping for a big leap in graphics along with 144hz panels and an improved FOV in an even lighter form factor.

I fear we may have to wait until 2027/28 to see that.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Cool little unit and a good compromise on features and price. I'm still seeing the Quest 3 128GB in stock at a few stores for $430. That seems like the best way to go since you get the pancake lenses and higher res. Still, as an entry level headset at $299 with a badass looking Batman game it's a great option.

Negatives:
-Quest 2 screen
-Quest 2 fresnel lenses
-No headphone jack(can use bluetooth or built-in speakers)

Positives:
-Quest 3 SoC and RAM
-Comparable to Quest 3 camera array
-Quest 3 Color Passthrough/Mixed Reality
-Quest 3 Controllers

Diddy X

Is there a workaround for the low storage space or is it really needed more space? Could I just use my PC to stream stuff, what about the image quality there?

This would be my first VR set, is there a big difference between this and 3? I wouldn't feel good buying something much worse I'd rather pay more for the better product.

Is there a workaround for the low storage space or is it really needed more space? Could I just use my PC to stream stuff, what about the image quality there?

This would be my first VR set, is there a big difference between this and 3? I wouldn't feel good buying something much worse I'd rather pay more for the better product.
If your internet speed is fast enough you can just keep redownloading games. Quest 3 has its own exclusives like Asgard's Wrath 2, AC: Nexus and soon Batman that take a large chunk of space. I do think that 128gb is too small but I prefer stand alone versions and only use PCVR for exclusives. My 512gb already has less free than the 128gb has space. I admit that I never delete stuff though.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

You can use your PC to stream PC version of VR (PCVR) games.
But you cannot stream native Quest games from PC to Quest.

I believe you can backup your Quest games to PC too. Quest headsets OS are based on Android so basically you need to connect the headset to PC, find the game's APK and transfer to PC. You need to install and use SideQuest VR to do that

Difference between Quest 3 and 3S:
3S has 256GB model, 3 has 512GB model
3S has worse lens (lower display resolution, lower FOV, fresnel)
3S has no 72 nor 80Hz refresh rate
3S has slightly lower battery mAh but has slightly longer run time (due to lower resolution)
3S has no audio jack

Last edited:

Hot5pur

Cries in 128GB Quest 3.
Seriously though at $300 I can see these flying off shelves this holiday season. It's such a solid gift and genuinely an experience like no other. It's tech that anyone should try at least once and there are plenty of games / experiences that justify owning one.
Also having standalone AAA games launching this holiday season: Metro, alien, behemoth, batman ... Like it's actually nuts this year (granted the rest of the year was kinda crap).

Top Bottom