• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WAPO: Sessions discussed Trump campaign-related matters with Russian ambassador

Zolo

Well yeah, I know why sessions did it, but a new one would have to almost do it to avoid any fuckery with Trump. Congress will not put up with interfering with the special counsel.

At least I would hope so

This'll be the interesting thing. I think the Senate wants the special counsel investigation to keep going on while Trump would want the person to shut it down.

adj_noun

oKLWYpT.gif

sflufan

Banned
I can hear the laughter in the Kremlin from here.

I wouldn't put it past Kislyak to exaggerate or outright lie just to get it on the intercepts, knowing full well it would get out and cause further destabilization.

Moscow has played this game so very well that I just gotta tip my cap to them.

Hazzuh

They're going to say that the Russian ambassador lied to his superiors to make it seem like he had done something really big and important. How can you prove that to be wrong?

If they actually had caught Sessions saying this or actually recorded the conversations that would be the smoking gun.

I could imagine them doing this but then their official stance would be that the Russians are untrustworthy liars on this but they still totally believe them when they say they didn't hack the DNC lol.

I can hear the laughter in the Kremlin from here.

I wouldn't put it past Kislyak to exaggerate or outright lie just to get it on the intercepts, knowing full well it would get out and cause further destabilization.
Sessions at the time was a Senator at the time and just a surrogate? He would have had to bet on Trump placing him in a high profile position for that to have much effect.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
This isn't good for Trump.

You're right. It's not good for Trump. It's great for Trump.
His only chance is to bury the investigation and not having an excuse to fire Sessions was an obstacle to that.

JettDash

How would Trump even know if the replacement AG would be down to fire Mueller? Does he have a candidate lined up that is sufficiently qualified, corrupt, and loyal that he knows will do it? Or will he have to interview candidates and make it clear that's what would be expected of them? How would he know that this wouldn't get out? If he finds someone who will do it without it getting out, does he expect that person to go and lie under oath when asked during the confirmation hearing?

I don't think it is clear that Trump will be able find an a qualified nominee that is sufficiently corrupt and loyal and he can be sure will be confirmed.

Clefargle

Did he really just let us know what he was doing when he was on the plane to the south of a country. Trump didn't have any contact with the other men on their public profile because they would not have had the chance to make a case for their games. If he resigns then we will be the only one he wants to see if the game is over

i just let predictive text on IOS string 95% of this together

His only chance is to bury the investigation and not having an excuse to fire Sessions was an obstacle to that.

Bury it how? Fire Mueller? Schiff already said they'd just appoint him for an independent investigation if that happened.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Bury it how? Fire Mueller? Schiff already said they'd just appoint him for an independent investigation if that happened.

A Democrat said that. Wow, that's so reassuring...

Nafai1123

Banned

Nothing was stopping Trump from firing Sessions before. If he suddenly uses this as an excuse for firing him, then Rosenstein becomes acting AG again, and he has to go through confirmation again for a new AG.

I wonder what will be discussed during the confirmation hearing?

sflufan

Banned
His only chance is to bury the investigation and not being able to fire Sessions was an obstacle to that.

OK, tell me how this changes the dynamics of the Mueller investigation when in the event the KKK Keebler Elf resigns Rosenstein becomes Acting AG and any AG nominee going through the Senate will be grilled to high heaven regarding independence?

Did you think that Donald Trump, of anyone in this world, needed an excuse for firing someone?

Take a step back and examine this scenario again.

KHarvey16

His only chance is to bury the investigation and not being able to fire Sessions was an obstacle to that.

Not really, no. Seeing this as an opportunity to end the investigation is pretty silly. This makes it pretty clear the administration was very cozy with the Russians and policy positions were up for discussion.

TAJ

OK, tell me how this changes the dynamics of the Mueller investigation when in the event the KKK Keebler Elf resigns Rosenstein becomes Acting AG and any AG nominee going through the Senate will be grilled to high heaven regarding independence?

Anyone he nominates will be confirmed. ANYONE.

Weird, because it both states the tweet was minutes ago but also 4:28 (I'm EDT).

Anyone he nominates will be confirmed. ANYONE.

Their appointment could easily contain a promise to recuse or let Rosenstein continue. Congress doesn't really like it when you lie to them.

JettDash

I have a pretty hard time believing that Sessions took it upon himself to talk to the Russians. The only question is if he will flip. I doubt he is willing to go to jail for Trump or any of his cronies.

Top Bottom