• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Warcraft' Movie Post-Production |OT| 20 months of...hype? Maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hixx

That trailer was really disappointing. The previous one was much better.

As much as I love The Prodigy, who the fuck thought one of their tracks should be used to promote a fucking fantasy film??

Won

That trailer feels almost like a parody of sorts. There must be some serious jaded ex-WoW players in the marketing team.

KodaRuss

Watched it without sound and it looks good. I hope it does well because I love Warcraft but like a lot of people are saying, this is about 10 years too late. Blizzard really should have remastered or remade Warcraft 1 and 2 to get people familiar with the beginning of the series again.

Finaj

This movie coming out earlier would have made it worse. The advances in CGI means the Orcs could have only been done recently. 10 years ago would have looked horrible.

People calling The Prodigy dubstep. Ffs.

It could be a fun movie, but I have more faith in Assassin's Creed, especially after the CinemaCon impressions.

KodaRuss

This movie coming out earlier would have made it worse. The advances in CGI means the Orcs could have only been done recently. 10 years ago would have looked horrible.

I don't doubt that. I just hope they did not miss their window. WoW is dying and no one seems to care about the Warcraft brand any more. Hearthstone is cool but thats not bringing people into the universe I dont believe.

The CGI orcs just look too CGI to me-- they don't look physically grounded. I guess nothing will top these guys:
latest

Zackat

Have they been watching eSports tournaments to get in the head of their video game demographic? This sounds like the stuff they play between intermissions of a CS:GO tournament. I like the music fine, but completely misplaced here. They are just ham fisting this so badly.

That being said I liked all the visuals. Of course some things are a little CG, but it looks cool in the trailer. I believe it could look great on the big screen (I hope).
The CGI orcs just look too CGI to me-- they don't look physically grounded. I guess nothing will top these guys:

Warcraft orcs are too huge to be played by human sized actors. They actually stuck to the source material. The orcs are the best looking thing about the movie imo.

That's not an orc.
No?
wikipedia said:
The Uruk-hai, described as large black orcs of great strength, first appeared from Mordor about the year 2475 of the Third Age, when they briefly took Ithilien and the city of Osgiliath. These original Uruks were of Sauron's breeding, but Saruman bred his own. Saruman's are shown to be indifferent to sunlight, though whether or not these features are unique to his Uruks is open to question. All Uruks were larger and stronger than other breeds of orc and consequently looked down upon and often bullied them.

Finaj

I mean physically grounded-- like existing in the same reality with the actual actors. Being high fantasy has nothing to do with it.

That could never happen in Warcraft because:

1. Warcraft Orcs are 8-foot, 600 Lb creatures. You can't do that with prosthetics (or at least not well).

2. Warcraft Orcs are characters, not just monsters. They need to express emotion and the prosthetics (especially with the tusks) wouldn't have allowed it.

It was always going to be CGI or bust.

Loxley

As I've said before, I genuinely feel bad for Jones. It's abundantly clear that Legendary have absolutely no fucking idea how to market or sell this movie.

TheYanger

And here I thought we had finally moved out of the Dubstep era...

So was LorR, and the orcs there didn't look like cartoons.

Are you intentionally being this dense? An LOTR orc is not a warcraft orc. It's not like they're making these guys up for the movie, they HAVE to look like god damn monstrosities.

Nokterian

Yeah was about to post that.

Duncan must be pulling his hairs out because of the monkeys that are doing the marketing for his film.

I'm 100% that film is fully scored at this point, just use that!

I feel so bad for duncan he knows how to make this movie because well he played all the games and knows the lore inside out but the marketing over there is beyond pathetic. And it is weird they do not ask him for directions on how to approach warcraft fans. I am still watching it though but Universal Marketing is my guess who fucking shit up.

To think that Ryan Reynolds worked on daily basis with the marketing at fox for deadpool just a example they need to do this with the director also or actor in that regard because this movie doesn't deserve bad trailers.

FeD.nL

I feel so bad for duncan he knows how to make this movie because well he played all the games and knows the lore inside out but the marketing over there is beyond pathetic. And it is weird they do not ask him for directions on how to approach warcraft fans. I am still watching it though but Universal Marketing is my guess who fucking shit up.

To think that Ryan Reynolds worked on daily basis with the marketing at fox for deadpool just a example they need to do this with the director also or actor in that regard because this movie doesn't deserve bad trailers.

Yup.

On that note, I made my own teaser cut from the footage of all the trailers.

Used more appropriate music. It's not perfect, I'm also not an editor but I think it's more Warcraft then what we have now. It's also not a story teaser just more getting the feeling of Warcraft right.

Adaren

Nonetheless, I can't help but feel that the movie is coming out at the worst possible time. WoW has lost the influence and notoriety it used to have. Its fanbase is smaller and more cynical than ever. At the same time, WoW hasn't managed to shed its negative association with nerd culture.

If they weren't going to release a movie pre-MoP, maybe they should have just held off and waited until they revitalized the brand with Warcraft 4 / WoW2, or until WoW fell completely out of popular culture and this movie could have been a "reboot" of sorts (similar to how the LotR movies have become synonymous with the modern interpretation of their universe).

Of course, these movies take several years, and predicting how people are going to feel about your brand in the future is an inexact science. So it's not necessarily anyone's fault, but that doesn't change my feeling that this movie is coming out at the worst time possible.

Or maybe I'm just a jaded WoW player. God, I can't wait until my guild kills M Archi so that I can quit.

lazygecko

That trailer was really disappointing. The previous one was much better.

As much as I love The Prodigy, who the fuck thought one of their tracks should be used to promote a fucking fantasy film??

Same kind of people who insisted on using Marilyn Manson's "This Is The New Shit" for Dragon Age.

FeD.nL

Went to watch Jungle Book in IMax yesterday and they had a neat preview of Duncan and some of the cast talking about the film.

But what they should have done is have a first trailer be just for the fans. Show off the locations, characters and just bring the feel of the franchise over, generate a positive buzz with the fanbase so they start talking about it. Then start to go after the more casual viewer. Like now all they're doing is alienating fans while writing this extremely negative narrative. In fact I'm 100% they put the same fucking marketing department on it that marketed Seventh Son. Legendary sees this as a generic fantasy film and it bothers me to no end.

Finaj

You guys want to really know how bad the marketing is? This guy is usually correct on this info, but still take it with a grain of salt:

"*I was told by someone (it is a legit source) who had contributed to the translation of the movie to Czech language that according to the dialogue script, there is no indication of Garona and Lothar romantic relationship whatsoever. Apparently, the marketing team basically took few scenes out of context and gave us an impression of something that is actually not there."

If this is true... holy shit.

You guys want to really know how bad the marketing is? This guy is usually correct on this info, but still take it with a grain of salt:

"*I was told by someone (it is a legit source) who had contributed to the translation of the movie to Czech language that according to the dialogue script, there is no indication of Garona and Lothar romantic relationship whatsoever. Apparently, the marketing team basically took few scenes out of context and gave us an impression of something that is actually not there."

Isnt that true to the games though?

Loxley

Well that's...idiotic...

FeD.nL

Pff..

But the way they just throw Garona in there, like at least throw a line in there stating she's half orc explaining why she's not full CG.

Zackat

Shocked. Not really though. You could tell me anything about their incompetence in marketing this movie and I would believe you.

How did they market Avatar? They should have done it like that. I don't remember at this point. I know the budget wouldn't have been in the same ballpark, but at least in spirit or something.

Griss

Incredible if true, because it is specifically those parts of the trailer that have me swearing I won't go see it.

That said, marketing didn't invent Garona. Whoever wrote the film decided she'd be a good fit, after all. She looks like crap, and I wouldn't be looking forward to any scene involving her.

Zackat

Incredible if true, because it is specifically those parts of the trailer that have me swearing I won't go see it.

That said, marketing didn't invent Garona. Whoever wrote the film decided she'd be a good fit, after all. She looks like crap, and I wouldn't be looking forward to any scene involving her.

Yeah she has always been a really awkward character. Her origin is strange, because if she is part draenei she has none of those features, and if she is part human it makes no sense in the timeline we know. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The romance between her and Lothar always seemed shoe horned in so if this is true I think it is for the better.

Loxley

I honestly think Garona would look perfectly fine if it weren't for those god-awful Halloween Store tusks of hers. How those made it past the costume tests is beyond me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom